Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Interesting Commentary
LocalYokel888 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The following is from the March 9, 2005 Louisville Sports Report that I received today in the mail. This may be online somewhere but I am not a premium member on any of these message boards. On page 10 there is a column entitled: 10 Things We Like And Dislike These Days, Commentary by Ron Steiner, LSR Editor.

"We DISLIKE the tactics Memphis used recently when its officials purposely misled ESPN commentator Dick Vitale and the collective news media by stating the basketball series with the Cards and Tigers was set to continue through 2009 or so. Understandably, Vitale reported it as fact. Now, here's the rest of the story: As of the night of the Memphis game, there has been zero contact between Tiger officials and those from UofL regarding future hoops scheduling. That's not to say there may never be interest, but the point is no one - not athletic director Tom Jurich, head coach Rick Pitino, senior associate AD Kevin Miller or any member of their staffs - had heard one word from the Memphis folks. Evidently UM officials felt they could back the Cards in a corner and somehow force them to play in the future. Wrong. It's not UofL's job to assure the Tigers at least one home sellout each year. And C-USA is no longer going to dictate the Cards schedule. Thankfully, those days are over. Had Memphis handled the situation professionally and simply called to suggest a future series, who knows how the Cardinal camp would have reacted. But in lying to Vitale and other prominent members of the media, the Tigers may have eliminated any chance for another series with the Cards. Not smart."

Not to mention any chance to be the 9th member of BE football. My guess is that ECU or maybe UCF might have more of a chance of an invitation at this time. Memphis needs to do some serious fence mending! RC is an idiot!

My favorite part of this commentary: "...C-USA is no longer going to dictate the Cards schedule." WooHoo! 04-cheers
03-08-2005 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

Actually ECU wasn't on Syracuse's "Hit Parade" about three years ago. They dropped a game against us because their schedule was too tough--we ended up having to play 1AA Rhode Island on short notice. The first time we had to play a 1AA team since 1981. Holland is working to fix the relationship.
03-08-2005 10:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL

Vitale probably just arrived in Memphis late the night before, or early in the morning of game day, and he probably just read it in the Memphis paper that day like the rest of us did.

What's really bizarre is how Memphis was reporting such specifics on it, like the series was going to be through 2009. 03-confused
03-08-2005 10:36 PM
hbengal Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis

Banowsky claimed this week on Memphis radio that he believes the series will continue because
the agreement was put in place when ESPN requested Cincy & UofL play Memphis,and Jurich is
trying to violate the spirit of the agreement.BB also stated this contract was entered into by the
presidents and wouldn't likely be undone by coaches or athletic directors.

P.S.Memphis will continue on as if CUSA is our destiny and if a BCS conference comes calling we
hope to have our house in order,and if the BE wants to settle for 2nd best because the Cards
were forced to play a tough OOC foe so be it.

See you on the court next year 04-deal@ FedExForum
03-08-2005 10:38 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL

hbengal Wrote:Banowsky claimed this week on Memphis radio that he believes the series will continue because
the agreement was put in place
The "agreement" is legally in the form of the signed papers. 05-nono

Jurich says he didn't see it in there that we had to play specific schools, and I'm sure UofL's well paid lawyers told Jurich the same thing. 03-cool
03-08-2005 10:49 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Sounds like this could get ugly--Memphis is kinda caught in the middle--I'm sure they don't want to burn any NBE bridges.
03-08-2005 10:58 PM
Advertisement

MHSCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville/ND

TexanMark Wrote:Sounds like this could get ugly--Memphis is kinda caught in the middle--I'm sure they don't want to burn any NBE bridges.
Personally I want Memphis in the BE and to play them in the future. However that said it doesn't help Memphis at all to push this issue, in fact I think if they lay off it will mean better possibility of renewing the relationship in the future. But right now it looks like they may want to cut off the nose to spite thier face. It is like the difference in asking someone to move over on the couch and telling them too, if you ask me to move I will if you tell me I will give you the finger and fight tooth and nail to keep my spot.
03-08-2005 11:14 PM
hbengal Offline
Banned

I understand why the Cards fear the Tigers(Finch had a gawdy record vs Crum & Petino loses
to Cal every year) but at least honor your deal or pay the 500k(we could use the ca$h)
03-09-2005 07:25 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:but at least honor your deal or pay the 500k

-- For the life of me I don't know how it does the University of Memphis any good to be calling UC/UL out in public like this...it just doesn't make any sense...are they trying to offend there closest friends on purpose? In my view the Memphis administration needs to stop blaming UC/UL for fulfillling the contract as they see fit and put the blame where it lies...the CUSA brass...it seems those boys have one major blunder after another

Quote:My guess is that ECU or maybe UCF might have more of a chance of an invitation at this time. Memphis needs to do some serious fence mending!

--Memphis has no chance of getting into the all sports league if UL/UC where to withdrawl there support....what Tiger fans (and it seems this goes for the Tiger administration as well) don't understand is that the other prospective school have allies in the league as well...I am very confident in saying that there are BE football school that would love the idea of adding UCF and having a game in Flordia everyear...I know ECU has a strong ally in West Virginia.....and I would assume the Pirates would get support from USF too (process of elimination..Memphis is too far to give USF a travel game, but the Bulls wouldn't want to create a recruiting rival in UCF either) and that's not even counting if ECU/Holland mend there fences with Syracuse.....this is a VERY bad time for Memphis to start a public relations compaign against UC/UL

-- UC/UL fans....how badly do you think your schools relationship with Memphis is? First...the Tigers lead the charge to keep you all in another year and now this....are things as bad as they seem in public? Or will this all blow over?

Jackson
03-09-2005 08:06 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Jackson1011 Wrote:

-- For the life of me I don't know how it does the University of Memphis any good to be calling UC/UL out in public like this...it just doesn't make any sense...are they trying to offend there closest friends on purpose? In my view the Memphis administration needs to stop blaming UC/UL for fulfillling the contract as they see fit and put the blame where it lies...the CUSA brass...it seems those boys have one major blunder after another

Quote:My guess is that ECU or maybe UCF might have more of a chance of an invitation at this time. Memphis needs to do some serious fence mending!

--Memphis has no chance of getting into the all sports league if UL/UC where to withdrawl there support....what Tiger fans (and it seems this goes for the Tiger administration as well) don't understand is that the other prospective school have allies in the league as well...I am very confident in saying that there are BE football school that would love the idea of adding UCF and having a game in Flordia everyear...I know ECU has a strong ally in West Virginia.....and I would assume the Pirates would get support from USF too (process of elimination..Memphis is too far to give USF a travel game, but the Bulls wouldn't want to create a recruiting rival in UCF either) and that's not even counting if ECU/Holland mend there fences with Syracuse.....this is a VERY bad time for Memphis to start a public relations compaign against UC/UL

-- UC/UL fans....how badly do you think your schools relationship with Memphis is? First...the Tigers lead the charge to keep you all in another year and now this....are things as bad as they seem in public? Or will this all blow over?

Jackson
Jackson, IMO it is so bad that both are willing to kill a series that goes back around 40 years.

RC Johnson is not doing himself and Memphis any favors. The Big East is going to split within the next 3-5 years and more then likely because of the coming `12 school schedule the Football schools need a 9th member.

Memphis is the strongest Non BCS Program East of the Mississippi but if Holland can get ECU back on track they could steal the final Big East Football spot from Memphis.
03-09-2005 08:16 AM
hbengal Offline
Banned

Jackson you are correct about the CUSA brass being at fault.Why kill a series that has such a grand history to play UCF & Marshall.Business is business and Banowsky says the deal is done
and UofL or UC will be in the FedExForum for the next 4 years.Just let this play out.I have faith in
(GULP) Banowsky.
03-09-2005 08:18 AM
Advertisement

LocalYokel888 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

hbengal Wrote:Jackson you are correct about the CUSA brass being at fault.Why kill a series that has such a grand history to play UCF & Marshall.Business is business and Banowsky says the deal is done
and UofL  or UC will be in the FedExForum for the next 4 years.Just let this play out.I have faith in
(GULP) Banowsky.
I'll bet 50 bucks on Jurich! 03-wink
03-09-2005 08:46 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:Memphis is the strongest Non BCS Program East of the Mississippi but if Holland can get ECU back on track they could steal the final Big East Football spot from Memphis.

-- I am very interested to see who ECU is going to hire when it comes to hoops...If Holland can pull off getting a Matt Doherty or Dave Odem...then the ECU/Memphis race for #9 could be interesting

Jackson
03-09-2005 08:50 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

RC Johnson made a couple of statements which have caught my attention.

His first statement was that Lousiville and Cincinnati were going to continue their basketball series with Memphis.

The second statement was that Memphis was negotiating a home-and-home series with Notre Dame in football.

It will be interesting to see if these things come true. If they do, congratulations to Memphis. If they don't it will be embarrassing for Memphis. Johnson really needs to calm down, and work behind the scenes, not in public' eye.

And, I would prefer to have Memphis as the Big East's 9th member over ECU and some of the other alternatives.
03-09-2005 09:22 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

I would rather have Penn State, Notre Dame or Maryland as our 9th member but that is just fantasy. We are going to need a 9th member sooner or later and the Tigers with their AD is not helping their case.
03-09-2005 09:31 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

hbengal Wrote:I understand why the Cards fear the Tigers(Finch had a gawdy record vs Crum & Petino loses
to Cal every year) but at least honor your deal or pay the 500k(we could use the ca$h)
We are honoring the deal. The language of the contract was published in the paper and it seemed fairly ambigious to me. What you guys don't seem to understand is that the exit agreements were signed between CUSA and Louisville, not Louisville and Memphis. Same goes for UC and why aren't you throwing a fit about Charlotte or Saint Louis? Did they make like minded agreements?
03-09-2005 11:14 AM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

hbengal Wrote:I have faith in (GULP) Banowsky.
That's your problem.

If your great leaders continue to act like 3-year-olds no matter what happens they'll lose.
03-09-2005 11:17 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

It has become the Theater of the Absurd with Banowski, some N-CUSA fans, and the Memphis AD.

The destructive logic that N-CUSA members are using to justify and defend the inept leadership of Banowski continues to amaze me. His incompetence will cost C-USA schools at least $100,000 per school by rejecting Louisville's offer, and his unintentional (or intentional) lapse in signing the contract with the city of Memphis. And many C-USA fans are defending him. (This is the same logic that sunk the Titanic. Hey Captain, we are now in iceberg territory in the North Atlantic. Good, let's speed up!!).

And BB really stiffed Memphis by not constructing a binding contract which directs that UC and UL play Memphis. And the Memphis AD calls out Louisville and Cincinnati when there is no contract? I wonder if the Memphis AD knew there was no binding contract in place?

In Seinfeld language, it's bizzaro world in Memphis and C-USA right now.
03-09-2005 11:37 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

WacoBearcat Wrote:It has become the Theater of the Absurd with Banowski, some N-CUSA fans, and the Memphis AD.

The destructive logic that N-CUSA members are using to justify and defend the inept leadership of Banowski continues to amaze me. His incompetence will cost C-USA schools at least $100,000 per school by rejecting Louisville's offer, and his unintentional (or intentional) lapse in signing the contract with the city of Memphis. And many C-USA fans are defending him. (This is the same logic that sunk the Titanic. Hey Captain, we are now in iceberg territory in the North Atlantic. Good, let's speed up!!).

And BB really stiffed Memphis by not constructing a binding contract which directs that UC and UL play Memphis. And the Memphis AD calls out Louisville and Cincinnati when there is no contract? I wonder if the Memphis AD knew there was no binding contract in place?

In Seinfeld language, it's bizzaro world in Memphis and C-USA right now.
Agreed 100%

Everybody assumed this exit strategy was for UL/Cinci to play the best remaining N-CUSA teams

It was even alluded to in articles--incredible buffonery
03-09-2005 12:25 PM
Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson
Quote:-- For the life of me I don't know how it does the University of Memphis any good to be calling UC/UL out in public like this...it just doesn't make any sense...are they trying to offend there closest friends on purpose? In my view the Memphis administration needs to stop blaming UC/UL for fulfillling the contract as they see fit and put the blame where it lies...the CUSA brass...it seems those boys have one major blunder after another

In all fairness, that is not Memphis calling out UC/UL. It's an internet fan of a school. I agree though
that our AD is an idiot, and possibly too naive and lacking in business savvy to take us any further.
Memphis needs a new AD yesterday. I place the whole mess at his feet first. BB is a HORRIBLE commish, but the new schools are naturally going to love him.

As far as UC/UL wanting to drop the Memphis rivalry, well you can't really argue against the tough conference schedules they'll be playing in the future. We'll just have to schedule some tougher teams early in the season. These are not happy times for Memphis Bball fans though.
03-09-2005 04:12 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.