TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

bearcatfan Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:Rutgers beat ND, USF beat Houston....great job guys  04-bow

Jackson
I second that!

Looking forward to tonight's game with the Bulls - a Big East preview! :wave:
Problem is Rutgers just cost the conference some money--we'll lose ND's units. Rutgers you'll learn is our high maintenance school--they never seem to get it right in FB and BB. They take and take and never give :mad:
03-10-2005 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

TexanMark Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:

Jackson
I second that!

Problem is Rutgers just cost the conference some money--we'll lose ND's units. Rutgers you'll learn is our high maintenance school--they never seem to get it right in FB and BB. They take and take and never give :mad:
We are use to it, remember we come from C-USA.
03-10-2005 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Problem is Rutgers just cost the conference some money--we'll lose ND's units.

--there are no worries about that in Mountaineer country....NDs loss pretty much clinches a spot for West Virginia...besides...it was funny to see Digger Phelps plead for ND to be in the dance last night...despite the loss to Rutgers :laugh:

Jackson
03-10-2005 09:10 AM
RUmojo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers

TexanMark...WVU will more than likely slide up and take the slot that ND couldn't earn, either way a BE school gets the bid. I thought the point of playing a game was playing to win. Maybe you should've called coach Waters and explained your point of view to him, then he could of got the players to throw the game. RU had a rough season but you fail to mention that we start 3 sophomores, and a true freshman. I don't look at last nights win as stealing ND's units or the conferences money, its more of a sign that the future will be better for RU basketball.

By the way, its clowns like you that caused me to stop posting here.
03-10-2005 11:19 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

RUmojo Wrote:TexanMark...WVU will more than likely slide up and take the slot that ND couldn't earn, either way a BE school gets the bid. I thought the point of playing a game was playing to win. Maybe you should've called coach Waters and explained your point of view to him, then he could of got the players to throw the game. RU had a rough season but you fail to mention that we start 3 sophomores, and a true freshman. I don't look at last nights win as stealing ND's units or the conferences money, its more of a sign that the future will be better for RU basketball.

By the way, its clowns like you that caused me to stop posting here.
RUmojo,

I for one enjoyed seeing Rutgers beat Notre Dame. While their basketball program does not seem as arrogant as the football program (could anything be?), there is just something about Notre Dame I just don't like.

It used to be resentment, for the TV contract, for the adulation. They earned it in football at one time, but I believe they have lost it and are relying on the glory days. I think they get more mileage out of their past football history now than they deserve.
03-10-2005 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Mar 11, 2005

Rally Keeps Bulls Alive
By BRETT McMURPHY
bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - South Florida apparently isn't ready to join the Big East just yet.
The 11th-seeded Bulls upset No. 6 seed Houston 69-64 in the opening round of the Conference USA Tournament on Wednesday night at FedEx Forum.

The Bulls (13-15) rallied from a 10-point, second-half deficit and extended their C- USA's lives - for at least another day. Up next is No. 21- ranked Cincinnati (24-6) tonight at 9:30. The game will be televised on Bright House Networks Channel 47.

A bizarre basket by USF senior Terrence Leather with 26 seconds remaining broke a tie, and Brian Swift's two free throws with 7.1 seconds remaining sealed the upset.

Tied at 64, Leather took a pass on the baseline from Swift and went up for a two-handed dunk. However, the ball slipped out of his hands on the way up, but dropped straight through the hoop.

``I thought I missed it, but it went in,'' Leather said. ``That's all that counts. It went in.''

Added senior Marlyn Bryant: ``When it slipped out of his hands, I was praying it would go in.''

Houston's Lanny Smith (21 points) misfired on the Cougars' ensuing possession. Swift and Bryant hit three free throws in the final seven seconds to account for the final margin.

Leather led the Bulls with 25 points and 14 rebounds, and moved past Willie Redden into 11th place on USF's all-time scoring chart. Leather, with 1,158 career points, also moved within 19 points of Jesse Salters, who is 10th.

Swift had 17 points, including a huge late 3-pointer, six rebounds and five assists. Bryant added 10 points and seven rebounds, and center Solomon Jones had eight points, six blocks and five rebounds.

``It's great for the seniors, it's great redemption,'' USF coach Robert McCullum said. ``We didn't like the taste in our mouths the last time we played them. They did not respect us.''

The Cougars won both earlier meetings, including an 18- point rout in Houston.

At the start of the second half, Houston opened a 10- point cushion, 49-39, but USF reeled off 14 consecutive points for a 53-49 lead with 7:26 remaining. Neither team led by more than four points until the final three seconds.

``They're the ones that should feel sick this time,'' said Swift, who was ill and vomited twice during the loss at Houston. ``They expected to win. But they're the ones who are real sick right now.''

With 1:02 remaining, Jones' two free throws gave the Bulls a 64-62 edge. Smith answered 12 seconds later, driving down the middle for a layup, tying the contest at 64 setting up Leather's game-winning basket.

``It feels good to get our first tournament win,'' Leather said. ``Now we'll come out and try to redeem ourselves against Cincinnati.''

The Bearcats, who blitzed the Bulls in their only meeting this season, 74-48, are expecting a tougher rematch.

``I think we were fortunate in the South Florida game because Terrence Leather hardly played,'' Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins said. ``Eric [Hicks] did a good job of attacking him early and he got in foul trouble. They're a totally different team without him.''

Early on, USF looked like it would coast against the Cougars. The Bulls opened a 22-9 lead, keyed by two 3-pointers by Swift and a 3-pointer by Marius Prekevicius.

However, the Cougars closed the first half with a 25-11 run to take a 34-33 halftime advantage.

Leather carried the Bulls in the first half, scoring 12 points and pulling down 10 of USF's 22 rebounds.

``With a conference tournament there is not long to celebrate,'' McCullum said. ``Cincinnati is next up, a team that beat us soundly. But we'll play hard.''

Despite shooting 36 percent from the field in the first half, the Bulls were only down one because of their success at the free-throw line (14 of 18).

``To sum it up in one word: great,'' Swift said. ``It feels great. We feel like Houston caught us on two bad nights this year. But you know what? The third time was the charm.''

SOUTH FLORIDA (13-15) - Prekevicius 2-5 0-0 5, Leather 10-18 5-11 25, Diarra 0-1 0-0 0, Bryant 2-6 6-8 10, Swift 4-7 6-7 17, Dennis 0-0 2-2 2, Holmes 1-4 0-0 2, Jones 2-3 4-6 8. Totals 21-44 23-34 69. HOUSTON (18-13) - Dyer 4-11 0-0 10, de Randamie 0-0 0-0 0, Latham 4-18 2-4 12, Owens 6-15 2-2 17, Smith 7-14 4-4 21, Brannon 0-0 0-0 0, Lawson 0-2 0-1 0, Bri.Shelton 0-0 0-0 0, Hensley 1-3 2-3 4, Hannah 0-0 0-0 0, Anderson 0-3 0-1 0. Totals 22-66 10-15 64. Halftime-Houston 34-33. 3-Point goals-South Florida 4-10 (Swift 3-6, Prekevicius 1-2, Holmes 0-2), Houston 10-34 (Smith 3-4, Owens 3-9, Dyer 2-7, Latham 2-11, Lawson 0-1, Hensley 0-2). Fouled out-Dyer. Rebounds-South Florida 40 (Leather 14), Houston 33 (Anderson 5). Assists-South Florida 10 (Swift 5), Houston 12 (Smith 5). Total fouls-South Florida 18, Houston 26. Technicals-Swift, Smith.

This story can be found at: <a href='http://www.tampatrib.com/Sports/MGBRVKEJ46E.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tampatrib.com/Sports/MGBRVKEJ46E.html</a>

Go Back To The Story
03-10-2005 11:28 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

My point was the BE had a chance at 8 bids now it is guaranteed for 7 or less.

My issue with Rutgers is your school has generally been a leech since the BE has been formed. Your 1000 man committee or whatever it was called, weak fan support and Terry Shea killed your program. Coach IROC is feeding the NJ masses his kool-aid--will this year turn it around?

No Bowl Games, few BB tourney appearances and a weak fanbase for being a flagship State University......................
Frankly, your school hasn't pulled its weight in the two main sports, but is always there to take the TV money, Bowl money and NCAA units.

That said, I agree your team is young and dangerous. I'd rather play ND than Rutgers tonight. Douby and Shields could kill us tonight if we stay in a zone.
03-10-2005 12:29 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

TexanMark Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:

Jackson
I second that!

I'm watching WVU beat up on BC right now and I'll tell ya what...I'll take the hit on NCAA units just to see BC lose. :thumb:
03-10-2005 01:09 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

Murph1 Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:

Jackson
I second that!

I'm watching WVU beat up on BC right now and I'll tell ya what...I'll take the hit on NCAA units just to see BC lose. :thumb:
Actually this is a win-win scenario

We'll get BC's Units--they'll go dancing regardless
WVU gets some revenge against BC and helps build their program--always good

Small Downside--our collective RPI may drop a tiny bit
03-10-2005 01:22 PM
RUmojo Offline
2nd String

TexanMark, the '1000 man comittee' that you mention was never more than 15-20 people who wanted RU to spend more money on academics than athletics. The group was led by a professor who had an axe to grind because he couldn't accept that a coach made more money than him. Most importantly this group has NEVER influenced the athletic programs at RU as evidenced by the millions of dollars spent on upgrades the past few years.

You say that RU has been a leech on the conference since it was formed but we've only been in the league for 10 years. I agree with you though, I can't wait till we get the ball rolling.

You're right when you say Terry Shea killed our football program, he made us one of the the weakest programs in the country. If you understand that fact, how can you criticise Greg Schiano for not turning things around as fast as many of us would've liked? I know it hasn't shown in the wins column but this program is MUCH better than it was when he took over and IMO it will start showing in the win column real soon.

RU definetly does not have a weak fan base, the problem is no one is going to pay to see a loser and as we all know, RU has struggled over the years. Did you see the Michigan State game this past season, it was a sell-out and the fans were hype. That will happen every weekend when the program starts winning. WBB has started to sellout, and attendance at bball games was way up even though we struggled this year. Why, because expectations are very high for this young team and we have a decent class coming in to join them next season. IMO, the future is bright for RU athletics so get your cheap shots in now, while you still can.

By the way, I apologize for calling you a clown. I read your comments before I had my first cup of coffee...
03-10-2005 03:26 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

RUmojo Wrote:TexanMark, the '1000 man comittee' that you mention was never more than 15-20 people who wanted RU to spend more money on academics than athletics. The group was led by a professor who had an axe to grind because he couldn't accept that&nbsp; a coach made more money than him. Most importantly this group has NEVER influenced the athletic programs at RU as evidenced by the millions of dollars spent on upgrades the past few years.

You say that RU has been a leech on the conference since it was formed but we've only been in the league for 10 years. I agree with you though, I can't wait till we get the ball rolling.

You're right when you say Terry Shea killed our football program, he made us one of the the weakest programs in the country. If you understand that fact, how can you criticise Greg Schiano for not turning things around as fast as many of us would've liked?&nbsp; I know it hasn't shown in the wins column but this program is MUCH better than it was when he took over and IMO it will start showing in the win column real soon.

RU definetly does not have a weak fan base, the problem is no one is going to pay to see a loser and as we all know, RU has struggled over the years. Did you see the Michigan State game this past season, it was a sell-out and the fans were hype. That will happen every weekend when the program starts winning. WBB has started to sellout, and attendance at bball games was way up even though we struggled this year. Why, because expectations are very high for this young team and we have a decent class coming in to join them next season. IMO, the future is bright for RU athletics so get your cheap shots in now, while you still can.

By the way, I apologize for calling you a clown. I read your comments before I had my first cup of coffee...
I realize the 1000 man commitee was a smallish group of wacko professors but they caused serious damage perception wise

As far as Schiano--I think he is a great shuckster who negative recruits with the best of them. IMHO, he is a weak game day coach. Rutgers is improving in FB power rating, fan base but it still has a ways to go. Two words: New Hampshire

When you get 35,000 for every game then I'll believe your fan base is developing.

No problem on calling me a clown--I've been called worse. I might be up for the Rutgers game--if you come up you'll be welcomed at my tailgate.
03-10-2005 04:41 PM
RUmojo Offline
2nd String

Schiano is far from a negative recruiter, in fact many of our recruits comment that the experience they had when they visited Rutgers is far different than most schools. I suggest you read some of the comments from RU recruits over the past few years. GS has said since he got here that he focuses more on what RU has to offer more than what other schools don't.

Most people think he is a negative recruiter because of his ability to bring in quality players despite our recent history. The perception is, he must be a negative recruiter how else could he get good players to commit. The reality is, Rutgers has much more to offer than you know.

You're right though, Schiano's ability as a gameday coach is in question. He has brought in good players but he hasn't shown the ability to win with them. Hopefully he has taken his lumps and learned how to win games. This year is a big year for him.

By the way, thanks for the invite. I'm pretty sure I'll be at the game this year.
03-11-2005 03:53 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.