Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What motivates the Press?
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
What motivates the Press?
At one point, being a member of the press was a higher calling. The first amendment protects the press from government strong arming, a signal that the press was intended to provide a certain level of transparency to the people.

But running a newspaper/TV channel/magazine/website/etc. requires funding. The stories that generate the most views make the most money and in a free market, the most sensational news outlets will be the most successful. In that way then, our interests are what dictates the news. If so, the "bias" in the news is just a reflection of our own interests.

"Spin" is the another piece. The Fox/MSNBC divide is a reflection of our own desire to see news in a way that reinforces our own world view. Both organizations are not out to report, they're out to make money. They have found a segment of the market that will faithfully tune in to hear the perspective that they want to hear. The more spin, the better the ratings. Again, the bias is our own.

Thoughts?
12-21-2011 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: What motivates the Press?
I have an interesting perspective on this, being close to a rather prominent local newspaper reporter....

He wants to help the little people, and he wants to speak truth to power. Not a lot of mention of "Just the facts, ma'am."
12-21-2011 02:21 PM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(12-21-2011 02:05 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  At one point, being a member of the press was a higher calling. The first amendment protects the press from government strong arming, a signal that the press was intended to provide a certain level of transparency to the people.

But running a newspaper/TV channel/magazine/website/etc. requires funding. The stories that generate the most views make the most money and in a free market, the most sensational news outlets will be the most successful. In that way then, our interests are what dictates the news. If so, the "bias" in the news is just a reflection of our own interests.

"Spin" is the another piece. The Fox/MSNBC divide is a reflection of our own desire to see news in a way that reinforces our own world view. Both organizations are not out to report, they're out to make money. They have found a segment of the market that will faithfully tune in to hear the perspective that they want to hear. The more spin, the better the ratings. Again, the bias is our own.

Thoughts?

I mostly agree. I think all news outlets stories are laced with facts and spun to appeal to their target demographic. I also believe that the broadcasters usually believe they represent the mainstream of America...

In other words I don't think people from Fox or MSNBC sit around and dream up ways to spin stories. I don't think there is this media conspiracy. I believe that the people presenting their stories really believe their spin represents most Americans. If you see everything through a liberal lens then when you report what you think is the middle to me your still left of center.

Does any of that make sense?
12-21-2011 03:49 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(12-21-2011 02:21 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I have an interesting perspective on this, being close to a rather prominent local newspaper reporter....

He wants to help the little people, and he wants to speak truth to power. Not a lot of mention of "Just the facts, ma'am."

"little people?"
12-21-2011 04:11 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(12-21-2011 04:11 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(12-21-2011 02:21 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I have an interesting perspective on this, being close to a rather prominent local newspaper reporter....

"little people?"

Midgets!

Actually, it means the poor, minorities, downtrodden, people fighting the man, etc etc. Anyone but you and I.....

He is a very good reporter, but he is in it to speak truth to power.
12-21-2011 04:34 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(12-21-2011 04:34 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(12-21-2011 04:11 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

"little people?"

Midgets!

Actually, it means the poor, minorities, downtrodden, people fighting the man, etc etc. Anyone but you and I.....

He is a very good reporter, but he is in it to speak truth to power.

I believe that. And immediately he shows a bias that those people need his help. His reporting will come from the perspective that those people can't manage their lives and that he knows better.
12-21-2011 06:28 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
For national media, I would imagine it would be whatever sells advertising since most are owned by large corporations.
12-21-2011 06:38 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
MSNBC / NBC ---> General Electric
ABC ---> Disney
CBS ---> National Amusements (owned by Sumner Redstone)
Fox / Faux News ---> News Corp (owned by Rupert Murdoch)

They are all owned by huge multi-national corporations with agendas and hardcore lobbyists. It's one giant conflict of interest.

What motivates the news is no longer the pursuit of truth and transparency. What motivates the news is agendas and the manipulation of public opinion as a multi-trillion dollar lobbying tool. Slashdot and some subreddits are infinitely more trustworthy than any MSM source of "news".
12-21-2011 06:44 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(12-21-2011 06:44 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  MSNBC / NBC ---> General Electric
ABC ---> Disney
CBS ---> National Amusements (owned by Sumner Redstone)
Fox / Faux News ---> News Corp (owned by Rupert Murdoch)

They are all owned by huge multi-national corporations with agendas and hardcore lobbyists. It's one giant conflict of interest.

What motivates the news is no longer the pursuit of truth and transparency. What motivates the news is agendas and the manipulation of public opinion as a multi-trillion dollar lobbying tool. Slashdot and some subreddits are infinitely more trustworthy than any MSM source of "news".

hmmm, i wouldnt go that far.
12-21-2011 07:45 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
The motivation of most press is to somehow become part of the story instead of reporting it.
12-21-2011 07:59 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Finally was able to find that quote I was looking for:

Finley Peter Dunne (July 10, 1867 — April 24, 1936)
"Th newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th' ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward".
12-22-2011 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.