Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VT AD speaks on the irony of rearranging the sched for ESPN then having them bash it
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
VT AD speaks on the irony of rearranging the sched for ESPN then having them bash it
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-bl...9263.story

"Upon hiring coach Doug Marone in late 2008 to rebuild a declining program, the Orange asked out of its contract with the Hokies. Around the same time, ESPN proposed to Tech a made-for-TV game against Boise State in 2010 at the Washington Redskins’ stadium.

It’s hard to get any games, let alone quality games, when you’re so late,” Weaver said. “I told (ESPN), ‘I’m not signing the contract to play Boise until I can get a replacement (for Syracuse in 2011).’ … Arkansas State was the only I-A team we could get. It just so happens they win their league (the Sun Belt) and they go to a bowl game.”

Weaver noted the irony of ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit bashing Tech’s non-conference schedule this season.

“What happens is, ESPN wants you to play these made-for-television games,” he said, “and then you get screwed up in your scheduling and then they criticize you on TV.”
"
12-14-2011 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
RE: VT AD speaks on the irony of rearranging the sched for ESPN then having them bash it
I think it's great he's getting the facts out there. It would be even better if they could get those facts out there actually on ESPN.
12-14-2011 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: VT AD speaks on the irony of rearranging the sched for ESPN then having them bash it
It felt like a cop-out ditching the VaTech games. It had to be done though. Getting curbstomped by VaTech wouldn't help us get back to football relevance faster.
12-14-2011 10:13 PM
Advertisement

UHCougar Offline
Big East Special Forces

I Root For: Houston
This is classic ESPN. They bash teams like Tech, Houston, Boise State, etc. for their out-of-conference games, but never really tell the viewer who they actually play. Boise State and Houston between them have played the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, Oregon State, Mississippi State, UCLA, etc. in the last five years. Sound like pretty solid lineup of out-of-conference teams to me. We play who we can get, and then whoever it is, it isn't good enough. ESPN sucks!
12-14-2011 10:48 PM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
(12-14-2011 10:48 PM)UHCougar Wrote:  This is classic ESPN. They bash teams like Tech, Houston, Boise State, etc. for their out-of-conference games, but never really tell the viewer who they actually play. Boise State and Houston between them have played the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, Oregon State, Mississippi State, UCLA, etc. in the last five years. Sound like pretty solid lineup of out-of-conference teams to me. We play who we can get, and then whoever it is, it isn't good enough. ESPN sucks!

Are they suppose to praise you since you schedule 1 hard game with 2 cupcakes? Besides that, it's just 1 employee's opinion, is everyone there suppose to love it or something?
12-15-2011 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.