Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Realignment
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Conference Realignment
It was a topic on the other site, it will be a topic here.

It's official, the conferences have gone completely insane, SDSU, as is San Diego State is now a member of the Big East, with the likes of UConn....Tell me how that makes any sense. Boise, SMU, Houston and UCF are also in. Boise basically comes out and says they are in because of the current BCS system. How do they plan on winning games when they are traveling 5000 miles a weekend??? 01-wingedeagle
12-06-2011 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
RE: Conference Realignment
It's on now. I think CUSA will stay at nine, but I'm not sure what the MWC does. Their alliance may allow the MWC to stay at 7 and still have voting rights, etc. If not they take Utah State probably and the WAC is teetering on the edge of annihilation.
12-06-2011 04:02 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

Eventually the WAC will be nothing but La Tech and a bunch of startups. They may be able to win a conference championship then.
12-06-2011 04:26 PM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G5
(12-06-2011 04:02 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  It's on now. I think CUSA will stay at nine, but I'm not sure what the MWC does. Their alliance may allow the MWC to stay at 7 and still have voting rights, etc. If not they take Utah State probably and the WAC is teetering on the edge of annihilation.
Can we go ahead and take UTSA in the SBC?
12-06-2011 04:38 PM
mts305 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-06-2011 04:02 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  It's on now. I think CUSA will stay at nine, but I'm not sure what the MWC does. Their alliance may allow the MWC to stay at 7 and still have voting rights, etc. If not they take Utah State probably and the WAC is teetering on the edge of annihilation.

I think the MWC takes Utah State and doesn't think twice about it.

Maybe WW knew what he was talking about with regard to philosophy SB expansion. IMO the WAC is going to die and we will be able to take what we want with regard to WAC left overs. They will want to stay FBS, and defintely need a home.

Do you think there will be any movement between the MWC and C-USA? For example UTEP to the MWC. That would give La Tech a chance at there much coveted C-USA invite.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 08:10 AM by mts305.)
12-06-2011 05:59 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

What does this do for us and a possible move? Why AJ do you think they'd stay at nine when there are so many viable replacements? I'd still be in favor of a move to CUSA. Much more recognizable names, which are all important for more casual followers, plus some close rivalries that could develop. Better attendances, increased season tickets, more tv opportunities, etc. In my dream, we would move along with WKU and MTSU.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 12:16 AM by BLEEDITRED.)
12-07-2011 12:14 AM
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

(12-07-2011 12:14 AM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  What does this do for us and a possible move? Why AJ do you think they'd stay at nine when there are so many viable replacements? I'd still be in favor of a move to CUSA. Much more recognizable names, which are all important for more casual followers, plus some close rivalries that could develop. Better attendances, increased season tickets, more tv opportunities, etc. In my dream, we would move along with WKU and MTSU.

Why do you exclude Troy? Inquiring minds and all that...
12-07-2011 01:23 AM
mts305 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-07-2011 12:14 AM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  What does this do for us and a possible move? Why AJ do you think they'd stay at nine when there are so many viable replacements? I'd still be in favor of a move to CUSA. Much more recognizable names, which are all important for more casual followers, plus some close rivalries that could develop. Better attendances, increased season tickets, more tv opportunities, etc. In my dream, we would move along with WKU and MTSU.

IMO there is not much reason to have any more than 9 teams in each conference with the C-USA/MWC alliance. Nine teams in each conference is perfect for a round robin 8 game conference schedule. Each conference does that for a champ and then they play the title game. The scheduling is easy and I assume the only area the two conferences share revenue is for that game. I would think that even if that alliance gets a BCS bid that the team that won the game would only share the BCS with their native conference.

However, they said that the alliance could contain as many as 24 teams, so each individual conference could get to 12. I guess we will know more in Jan.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 08:54 AM by mts305.)
12-07-2011 08:18 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I would like to see Troy and USA go to C-USA. Having those two in the same league with UAB, USM and Tulane would create some great rivalries and attendance figures.
12-07-2011 09:29 AM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

(12-07-2011 08:18 AM)mts305 Wrote:  

IMO there is not much reason to have any more than 9 teams in each conference with the C-USA/MWC alliance. Nine teams in each conference is perfect for a round robin 8 game conference schedule. Each conference does that for a champ and then they play the title game. The scheduling is easy and I assume the only area the two conferences share revenue is for that game. I would think that even if that allaince gets a BCS bid that the team that won the game would only share the BCS with their native conference.

However, they said that the allaince could contain as many as 24 teams, so each individual conference could get to 12. I guess we will know more in Jan.

Well said. This is exactly why I think CUSA will stay at nine. Why should they look for someone to share money with when having 12 and a title game isn't necessary anymore?
12-07-2011 09:38 AM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

(12-07-2011 01:23 AM)Tiguar Wrote:  

Troy is in a tiny market and would be dead weight in any TV negotiations. They would have start having Boise State-like success to be a serious move up candidate.
12-07-2011 09:43 AM
Advertisement

BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-07-2011 09:43 AM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 01:23 AM)Tiguar Wrote:  

Troy is in a tiny market and would be dead weight in any TV negotiations. They would have start having Boise State-like success to be a serious move up
candidate.

This. Plus, I don't think they'd want 3 teams from Alabama.
12-07-2011 02:16 PM
GulfCoastStorm Offline
Water Engineer

Troy doesn't even register on the TV market scale, as someone else said. They don't bring much else to the table. Larry Blakeney may have lost his touch up there after all these years and they aren't going to usher him out. He's made that program.

Western Kentucky, if it gets successful, as a better chance of leaving our conference.

Troy is down and things don't look bright in the near term, football-wise.

I think the CUSA and MWC association is what could be a boon for smaller schools. Each is still allowed to host a championship game and then the two conferences send their champions to the association championship game, OR just the association championship, sans the conference championship games.

SHHHHH! Don't tell anyone but that sounds like a mini-playoff. I like it!
12-07-2011 03:44 PM
Thunderjag Offline
Water Engineer

On the note of conference realignment and Conference USA I have to post what I just saw from Ben from Georgia State.
Link
12-07-2011 08:29 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

Did Ben just cut and paste the same post that gets plastered all over the internet by the Ga State pumpers?
12-07-2011 09:00 PM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-07-2011 09:00 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  Did Ben just cut and paste the same post that gets plastered all over the internet by the Ga State pumpers?
I'm pretty sure that's always Ben making that post, under one of his 247 different Ga State screen names.
12-07-2011 11:45 PM
Advertisement

mts305 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-07-2011 09:38 AM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 08:18 AM)mts305 Wrote:  

IMO there is not much reason to have any more than 9 teams in each conference with the C-USA/MWC alliance. Nine teams in each conference is perfect for a round robin 8 game conference schedule. Each conference does that for a champ and then they play the title game. The scheduling is easy and I assume the only area the two conferences share revenue is for that game. I would think that even if that allaince gets a BCS bid that the team that won the game would only share the BCS with their native conference.

However, they said that the allaince could contain as many as 24 teams, so each individual conference could get to 12. I guess we will know more in Jan.

Well said. This is exactly why I think CUSA will stay at nine. Why should they look for someone to share money with when having 12 and a title game isn't necessary anymore?

Disregard what I said. It looks like C-USA and MWC are now looking to merge in all sports.

Link

Edit: This will certainly help SB stability, but for us and other SB teams with C-USA aspirations it doesn't look too good.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 12:38 PM by mts305.)
12-08-2011 12:35 PM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

That would seem to have disater written all over it.
12-08-2011 12:38 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(12-08-2011 12:38 PM)usmgh Wrote:  That would seem to have disater written all over it.

I think this will fail as well. Too much going on.

What happens the first time a C-USA team goes undefeated in its division only to lose the championship game to a MWC school? Or vice versa, similar to how USM kept Houston out of the BCS this year. I don't think they will be awarded an autobid, so this could hurt them, cost them money, and end up failing.
12-08-2011 02:32 PM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

It just doesn't make sense to have Colorado St. travelling to East Carolina for Volleyball, Tulane travelling to Wyoming for Women's Soccer, New Mexico travelling to Marshall for Tennis, etc.

It barely makes sense for football, and it seems absurd for all sports.

And there's no way they'll get an autobid. Merging the leftovers of two non-AQ conferences isn't going to warrent a BCS bid.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 03:40 PM by usmgh.)
12-08-2011 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.