Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ACC lone opposition to 12 game season....LINK
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies

<a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/04/12/ncaa.12thgame.ap/index.html?cnn=yes' target='_blank'>ACC says no....</a>
04-12-2005 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

ACC concerned about academics BS!

If they are so concerned about academics maybe they shouldn't have added in long road trips to Miami and Boston College. :mad:
04-12-2005 12:58 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

Crappies

TexanMark Wrote:ACC concerned about academics BS!

If they are so concerned about academics maybe they shouldn't have added in long road trips to Miami and Boston College. :mad:
Exactly. Get used to that type of BS...we see it every day.
04-12-2005 01:00 PM
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

TexanMark Wrote:ACC concerned about academics BS!

The ACC is the most hypocritical bunch you will ever find. They have no problem adding a 12th game for a conference championship game. They had no problem razing another conference in order to accomplish that now did they.

They fear that this will give other conferences leverage in negotiating TV contracts. Afterall, that was what they were after when they raided the Big East and caused the world of college athletics to unravel. It is so unfair that when they were renogiating their TV contract that this 12 game scenario was not the case. Now other conferences have leverage when they renogatiate and the all worried about academics ACC is going to cry about it.

Classic!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
04-12-2005 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:ACC concerned about academics&nbsp; BS!

If they are so concerned about academics maybe they shouldn't have added in long road trips to Miami and Boston College.&nbsp; :mad:
The ACC is the most hypocritical bunch you will ever find. They have no problem adding a 12th game for a conference championship game. They had no problem razing another conference in order to accomplish that now did they.

They fear that this will give other conferences leverage in negotiating TV contracts. Afterall, that was what they were after when they raided the Big East and caused the world of college athletics to unravel. It is so unfair that when they were renogiating their TV contract that this 12 game scenario was not the case. Now other conferences have leverage when they renogatiate and the all worried about academics ACC is going to cry about it.

Classic!!!!!!

This news of the acc being the only conference to vote against the 12th game just goes to show that the 12th game is not that big of a deal to the BE. It is not going to difficult to get the extra out of conference games played like some have been saying. If it would have been that big of an obstacle for the BE, then it seems that they would have joined the acc in voting against it.
04-12-2005 05:10 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

It could also mean that the Big East doesn't think it's a big deal because they could/will add a 9th member (though we don't know if they will or not). Screw the ACC, they seriously wonder why the Big East, ACC, SEC and Big 12 don't care for them that much. They preach like they're the academics morals of the world yet raid another conference and screw other prestiges academic universities all for the sake of a dollar. Where were their worries about academics when that happened?
04-12-2005 05:15 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

The ACC has let the leading players vote on this many times -- and each time the players have turned it down. I remember in 2000 when they voted George Godsey, then QB for GT, voted no having in mind how long a season is, and how long it would become with the addition of a 12th game and a playoff system down the road. The consensus was... if (when) a playoff is in place, 12 games before that playoff will be too many. By the end of the playoff it's become a war of attrition.

Please keep your road trip conspiracy theories and otherwise in pocket. 03-razz
04-12-2005 05:18 PM

Cat's_Claw Wrote:Screw the ACC, they seriously wonder why the Big East, ACC, SEC and Big 12 don't care for them that much. They preach like they're the academics morals of the world yet raid another conference and screw other prestiges academic universities all for the sake of a dollar. Where were their worries about academics when that happened?
The ACC had been courting Miami for a long long time because Miami was a perfect fit in location, structure, academic and athletic prestige, and will fill out the ACC schedule while improving the conference across the board without sacrificing academics. It was a perfect match, and really Miami didn't fit well in the BE. The trouble came about when it became political ... ie - Miami board wanted 'Cuse and BC to come along, then the Virginia state legislature grossly overstepped it's right of power etc. It would have been a 10 team ACC until a few alums and the VA government ******ed it up.

And really, don't start with the academics. The ACC has a high academic standard [Georgia Tech, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest.... no low ranking schools at all] -- which is completely irrelevant to the political dealings with expansion which was all about ONE school to begin with.
04-12-2005 05:25 PM

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:The ACC is the most hypocritical bunch you will ever find. They have no problem adding a 12th game for a conference championship game. They had no problem razing another conference in order to accomplish that now did they.

Classic!!!!!!

The conference championship game provides a clear cut winner of the conference [See split title... 1998, 1994] while not sacrificing an extra week for all but two schools. And yea, it provides money, tv, exposure and such.

As for the raiding comments... see my post above. The sour grapes that think the ACC is at fault for how expansion turned out need to move on and accept what really happened. You don't see Georgia Tech fans still throwing fits because Bear Bryant and SEC turned their back on Tech and tried to undermine their strength in football, do you? We still play all the SEC teams [in fact, open up with Auburn and finish with Georgia this year].
04-12-2005 05:29 PM

On a side note for the ECU fans...

I know Duke + NCSU + UNC + WF don't want ECU in on the "money pie" so to speak. In terms of state funding... in terms of athletic prowess and reputation.... but let's get a few things clear, shall we?

1) The doings of those four schools in the state of NC is completely irrelevant from the thoughts, feelings, and actions of the ACC as a whole. ACC =/= Tobacco Road. Take your beef up with the NC legislature and those schools.
2) Black vans and helicopters are not in high numbers in the greater Greenville, NC area. If there are any there, they weren't sent by the ACC, or even any of the Tobacco Road schools. I know this is a OTM trademark belief.
3) The ACC is not "out to get you" and/or "scared to play you." Once again, Tobacco Road is out to keep your talent/money for themselves probably, but not the ACC. And in regards to scared to play you (another common assertion):
2000: ECU 38 - Duke 0
--- Durham, NC
2001: WF 21 - ECU 18
--- Greenville, NC
2001: UNC 24 - ECU 21
--- Chapel Hill, NC
2002: Duke 23 - ECU 16
--- Durham, NC
2002: WF 27 - ECU 22
--- Winston Salem, NC
2003: UNC 28 - ECU 17
--- Greenville, NC
2004: WF 31 - ECU 17
--- Greenville, NC
2004: NCSU 52 - ECU 14
--- Charlotte, NC

ECU is (1-7), with 3 home games, 1 neutral game, and 4 away games. ECU has had its chances.
04-12-2005 05:39 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

Crappies

Methinks you need a little history lesson.....the ECU beef with the ACC (specifically the in-state schools - unc-ch and ncsu) stems from much more than sports.....sports are/have been just a residual of the underlying problems.
04-12-2005 05:56 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:It would have been a 10 team ACC until a few alums and the VA government ******ed it up.
How do you figure? I recall the ACC petitioning and failing to get a championship game approved for a ten team league after VPI and UM had been invited but before BC had been invited.

How would that have been any different if VPI had not been invited? Is 11 not a workable number? I believe the Big 10 would disagree.

Quote:The sour grapes that think the ACC is at fault for how expansion turned out need to move on and accept what really happened.
Yes, clearly only the Miami board and Virginia Legislature are the enemies here. The poor little ACC is just the scape goat. :rolleyes:

Quote:The ACC had been courting Miami for a long long time because Miami was a perfect fit in location, structure, academic and athletic prestige, and will fill out the ACC schedule while improving the conference across the board without sacrificing academics.
How the hell does a 10 team league 'fill out' the ACC schedule? 9 gives you a 4/4 home/road split while allowing a 16 game round robin conference schedule for basketball. 10 doesn't.

Outside of that crap, your argument is that Miami was a good fit for the ACC (ANY school of Miami's caliber is a good fit in any conference that is lucky enough to have them), I fail to see how that makes it ethical. I also fail to see how the fact that you've had your eyes on them for so long makes raiding our conference ethical.

Congratulations, you improved the athletic profile of your conference without sacrificing academics. The only thing sacrificed was half the Big East's TV contract, our athletic profile, our academic profile to some degree, and potentially our BCS bid. Your league also created a domino effect shuffling about two dozen other schools. You should be so proud of your league's actions, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
04-12-2005 06:11 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:and really Miami didn't fit well in the BE

-- I thought Miami was a fine fit for the BE....a lot of there student body/alums where from the northeast and they fit the BEs "urban school"profile well....it worked well for 12+ yrs

Quote:You don't see Georgia Tech fans still throwing fits because Bear Bryant and SEC turned their back on Tech and tried to undermine their strength in football, do you? We still play all the SEC teams [in fact, open up with Auburn and finish with Georgia this year]

-- No...but I'm sure GT did at the time...come see us in 30 yrs and we will probably be able to laugh at our problems decades ago too

--I know this is proably hard for an ACC fan to see...but y'all really caused us a lot of problems....we have to fight for our collective lives so you can make a few million more...Although you may not sympathize with us I would hope you can understand why we would be bitter

Jackson
04-12-2005 06:19 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Just another quick thought here...this is especially hard for the fans of Pitt, SU,WVU and Rutgers because BE football basically has to start all over....2005 is going to be like 1991 all over again and all of the effort we put into building this league went for not

Jackson
04-12-2005 06:26 PM

nflsucks Wrote:
Quote:It would have been a 10 team ACC until a few alums and the VA government ******ed it up.
How do you figure? I recall the ACC petitioning and failing to get a championship game approved for a ten team league after VPI and UM had been invited but before BC had been invited.

How would that have been any different if VPI had not been invited? Is 11 not a workable number? I believe the Big 10 would disagree.

Quote:The sour grapes that think the ACC is at fault for how expansion turned out need to move on and accept what really happened.
Yes, clearly only the Miami board and Virginia Legislature are the enemies here. The poor little ACC is just the scape goat. :rolleyes:

Quote:The ACC had been courting Miami for a long long time because Miami was a perfect fit in location, structure, academic and athletic prestige, and will fill out the ACC schedule while improving the conference across the board without sacrificing academics.
How the hell does a 10 team league 'fill out' the ACC schedule? 9 gives you a 4/4 home/road split while allowing a 16 game round robin conference schedule for basketball. 10 doesn't.

Outside of that crap, your argument is that Miami was a good fit for the ACC (ANY school of Miami's caliber is a good fit in any conference that is lucky enough to have them), I fail to see how that makes it ethical. I also fail to see how the fact that you've had your eyes on them for so long makes raiding our conference ethical.

Congratulations, you improved the athletic profile of your conference without sacrificing academics. The only thing sacrificed was half the Big East's TV contract, our athletic profile, our academic profile to some degree, and potentially our BCS bid. Your league also created a domino effect shuffling about two dozen other schools. You should be so proud of your league's actions, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
1) Correct. ACC didn't want to bring it to 12... they wanted to keep it at 10. Bringing in BC was a "have to" at that point or they'd lose money.

2) If VPI had not been invited then it would have been UM, BC, Cuse, per Miami's insistance... without all the "who's going?" and bickering. This would leave the BE a stronger football conference as well.

3) They are the ones that turned ACC 10 into ACC 12, yes.

4) 10 teams fills out b/c otherwise every single week SOMEBODY has to have a bye or OOC opponent. It also allows for the round-robin in basketball to continue

5) You have this concept that you are privvy to controlling a school's decisions. Miami was in the right place, with the right academic status, with the right athetlic status, at the right time. Unfortunately the prenup was a b****.

6) The ACC didn't create the dominoe changes. Correlation does not mean causation. The BE could have easily split off into a BB only league, picked up L'ville and Notre Dame... and been fine. And if you really want to talk I-A alignments seriously, then let's tackle the issue of playoffs, elimination of the BCS, and why there seems I-AA within I-A, so to speak.

7) If the ACC had it's way, it would be a 10 team league now, and the BE (at worst) picks up L'ville and/or Notre Dame and the status quo is maintained throughout.
04-12-2005 06:34 PM

Capital Pirate Wrote:Methinks you need a little history lesson.....the ECU beef with the ACC (specifically the in-state schools - unc-ch and ncsu) stems from much more than sports.....sports are/have been just a residual of the underlying problems.
I know that. I didn't say it was sports alone. That's a paltry response to what I said.

I think just a few months ago NCSU demanded ECU stop expanding and "unfairly decreasing state funding to other schools" ... or something along those lines.

But NCSU =/= ACC ... see points in my previous post.
04-12-2005 06:36 PM
Advertisement

Capital Pirate Offline
All American

Crappies

The two topics aren't mutually exclusive. Your post made it sound like ECU and it's fans are constantly claiming "black helicopters" are swirling around campus in regards to sports......

When in actuality, the black helicopters dropped off their cargo YEARS ago, and the sports "hatred" that exists now is merely an offshoot of those earlier non-sports problems.

I wouldn't expect a GT/ACC fan to get it......
04-12-2005 06:40 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:The BE could have easily split off into a BB only league, picked up L'ville and Notre Dame... and been fine.
No, it's not that easy and you know it's not. Kicking the basketball only schools to the curb when there were only 5 (6 if you include ND) would be devastating to there athletics. They would lose their automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament for 5 years as well.

And it's NOT as easy as 'picking up ND.' They didn't want to be the 12th member of your higher TV contract, greater academic profile, Gods gift to basketball ACC, they wouldn't want to join the old Big East.

Quote:10 teams fills out b/c otherwise every single week SOMEBODY has to have a bye or OOC opponent. It also allows for the round-robin in basketball to continue
If 9 conference games games are so much more desirable than 8 like the ACC had, then why do the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and SEC all play only 8 (4/4) when they very easily could play 9?

16 conference basketball games are much more desirable than 18. You are more likely to get more teams in the Big Dance with fewer conference games.

Quote:The ACC didn't create the dominoe changes.
Do you really believe what you are typing? How does the ACC screwing up and taking 3 instead of 1 make them not liable for the domino effects? 'This wasn't our intention... we only meant to rape your conference this much, but there were some unaccounted for obstacles, so now we have to rape it by THIS much for the move to be profitable for us.'

Quote:Bringing in BC was a "have to" at that point or they'd lose money
Surely Miami and VPI would bring enough to a TV contract to offset the additional mouths to feed.
04-12-2005 07:02 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

<!--QuoteBegin--georgia_tech_swagger+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (georgia_tech_swagger)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
7) If the ACC had it's way, it would be a 10 team league now, and the BE (at worst) picks up L'ville and/or Notre Dame and the status quo is maintained throughout. [/quote]

I kinda agree with this point.

Let's not kid ourselves. In reality, all the ACC really wanted was Miami. It was the Hurricanes themselves who insisted on bringing along Syracuse and BC.

If the ACC had only taken Miami, the Dukes and UNCs of the conference would have been happy and they could have been a 10-team league, still being able to play everybody each year in football and round robin in hoops.

The Big East would have been much more stable with the combo of VT and Louisville in the same football conference. I just hope there aren't any Hokie fans lurking who were paying attention to Metro Conference politics around '94. 03-wink

One other thing that rarely gets mentioned is who started this whole mess off. It wasn't Miami or even the ACC. It was FSU. Long ago, they began their rant to the ACC about wanting the confernece to be more $EC-like. The rest is history.
04-12-2005 07:05 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Oh, okay. The ACC only wanted Miami. They wanted a 10 team league. It was MIAMI that forced the issue, and demanded BC and Syracuse.

And what about the ACC's desperate drive to have a championship game? Was Miami behind that too?

LOL.
04-12-2005 07:15 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.