Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I truly think the Providence Brain Trust pulled a brilliant one
Eagleweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
I truly think the Providence Brain Trust pulled a brilliant one
It is basketball season, the reason the big east was formed in the first place and the sport that has truly made the conference a premier one above anything else. The basketball schools are sick and tired of the football drama anyway and here was another year that football conference talk was interrupting the start of another basketball season. They got together, had some pressers, voted to give permission to invite schools and then sat back letting it give the football side a few bones to play with while they could now enjoy the basketball season.

Talks of invitations, unity announcements, western divisions, global alliances, TV negotiations with new markets, strategic initiatives to gain eyeballs and the new slogan of "go west young man" allowed the football side to get excited, gave the bloggers things to talk about, let up the chat rooms and bulletin boards and can drag out for a year or two as far as the basketball schools care. Providence pulled a smooth one and now basketball season is in bloom and that is the real treasure in the big east chest anyway.
11-23-2011 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: I truly think the Providence Brain Trust pulled a brilliant one
In other words, Notre Dame and their Catholic no-football minions continue to hold the Big East by the scrotum.
11-23-2011 11:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-23-2011 11:37 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  In other words, Notre Dame and their Catholic no-football minions continue to hold the Big East by the scrotum.

Given most of the new members are football only and there seemed to be an acceptable plan, that's very doubtful. More likely just spending a lot of time on negotiations and contracts.
11-23-2011 12:28 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(11-23-2011 11:37 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  In other words, Notre Dame and their Catholic no-football minions continue to hold the Big East by the scrotum.

I love this delusion that you people have. The BBall schools have okayed 4 new members in the last year with terrible BBall programs. (TCU, Houston, UCF and SMU) How is it that they are being some evil entity that is ruining the FB schools? How do they have the conference by the balls? The FB side has been the one causing all the problems, the FB side is the one dragging the conferences name and reputation through the mud, the FB side is the one dragging this out. What has the BBall side done wrong? Besides build the best BBall conference ever assembled and actually help raise the reputation and market value of the conference?
11-23-2011 01:22 PM
Advertisement

ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya

I find this ironic that a Memphis fan is complaining about the BBall only schools are the ones at fault here. The Catholics (BBall only) schools wanted to expand for the sake of expanding, wouldn't they go after a BBall oriented school like say....Memphis? it has the market, it has the location...
But instead the BBall onlys are "allowing" football schools to be invited, because we all know Boise is a hotbed for basketball and recruits.
11-23-2011 04:05 PM
OneSockUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama

Yeah, I heard that at the last Big East meeting all of the priests were saying that they wouldn't leave the room until Central Florida and Southern Methodist were added.

The Catholic schools have been bending over backwards to make the hybrid model work. Seriously what else could the Catholics do?

The only thing that the Catholics may have done is prevented the football schools from making the Temple mistake again.
11-23-2011 04:19 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(11-23-2011 12:28 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  

Given most of the new members are football only and there seemed to be an acceptable plan, that's very doubtful. More likely just spending a lot of time on negotiations and contracts.

what new members?

did I miss a press conference?
11-23-2011 11:32 PM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(11-23-2011 11:32 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  
(11-23-2011 12:28 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  

what new members?

No sir. No press conference yet, but from what I gathered it will happen as soon as next week.
11-23-2011 11:39 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-23-2011 11:32 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  what new members?

Big East fans think invites have been sent due to wishful thinking.
11-24-2011 12:14 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(11-24-2011 12:14 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

Invites are the last step. Negotiations take place first, thats how we know Cuse are back stabbers. Every expansion process has taken weeks and months (A&M, Mizz, Neb, Utah, Colo, WVU) but somehow Pitt and Cuse just did it in 48 hours. BS, they were negotiating behind the backs of everyone else. Didn't even have the common courtesy to tell the Big East they were leaving. Scumbags.
11-24-2011 12:30 AM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
(11-24-2011 12:30 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(11-24-2011 12:14 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

Invites are the last step. Negotiations take place first, thats how we know Cuse are back stabbers. Every expansion process has taken weeks and months (A&M, Mizz, Neb, Utah, Colo, WVU) but somehow Pitt and Cuse just did it in 48 hours. BS, they were negotiating behind the backs of everyone else. Didn't even have the common courtesy to tell the Big East they were leaving. Scumbags.

You "know" Pitt and Cuse are backstabbers because you don't pay close enough attention and you don't understand how things work. To put things in perspective, your new saviors are backstabbers too according to your reasoning.

Carry on with your willful ignorance.
11-24-2011 09:54 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

My opinion has always been that Gray Avenger is nothing but a run of the mill anti-Catholic bigot.
11-24-2011 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Possible, Terry. But it's also possible he's merely picking out the most convenient target in his frustration over being left out when UC and UofL were invited - and Memphis wasn't...

Only his analyst knows for sure...
11-24-2011 01:23 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Agreed, Bit. That info is privileged....
11-24-2011 01:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.