Open TigerLinks

30 for 30: Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount
Bookmark and Share
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
MyBB 30 for 30: Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount
Suck it mto
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 11:41 PM by CUSA_NEWS.)
11-22-2011 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: 30 for 30: Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount
(11-22-2011 10:40 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Josh obviously got his philosophy from Westhead. Only problem, no Hank Gaithers type (toughness, rebounding, buckets around the hoop) to own the paint. This is the missing piece to the puzzle. They had Bo Kimble to go along with Hank, but to be a team to be reckoned with you need a beast in the paint or at least a decent post tandem.

Loyola averaged 122 pnts per game and like Memphis, teams and other players categorized their style of play as street ball. Well after starting the season 3-3, they won 25 straight. They ran their opponents into the ground but they also REBOUNDED the ball to initiate their running system. Btw, Hank was listed as only 6'7" which means he was probably like Barkley, 6'5".

They ran sandhills and focused mainly on conditioning. They even had white guys playing this style of ball.

Also, their system was structured although it looked like chaos. The 1 (PG) always started their breaks and the 2 ran the right side and the 3 always ran the left with the 4 streaking up the middle with the 5 trailing the four. Plus, they always practiced this style. I'm sure the ran into zones so it is obvious there is time to practice playing against zones. Main thing, the team needs to own the need to rebound the ball.

Wow, and everyone else thought he must have gotten it from Lute Olsen.
11-22-2011 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

They also played in your face D but they didn't overrun the ball or chase the ball ; they stayed in position which helped them take care of the boards. After losing Hank to his illness, they were defeated in the tourny by eventual champs UNLV.

LMU probably would've beat UNLV if Hank was with them.
11-22-2011 10:47 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
I'll never forget where I was when I heard the sad news about Gathers. Watergrove Apartment (is it still there?) and Chris Berman coming on Sports Center saying "usually sports are fun, fun for us, fun to report on....but this deal is something different."
11-22-2011 10:51 PM
Advertisement

CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2011 10:45 PM)mairving Wrote:  Wow, and everyone else thought he must have gotten it from Lute Olsen.

Lute was like MJ, emulating James Brown. 03-wink

Hey, they credited Westhead as being the first coach to be crazy enough to implement such a fastbreak system.
11-22-2011 10:52 PM
mem-x Offline
On The Downhill Run Now.

I Root For: Tigers!
Westhead said, "We don't need a shot clock, 10 seconds after we get it, we've either scored or tunred it over." God, I loved watching them play ball.
11-22-2011 10:55 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I didnt post this in the NTR foum.

It is tiger related.
11-22-2011 11:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.