at Iowa W 77-61 (5-0)
Bookmark and Share
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
MyBB at Iowa W 77-61 (5-0)
The Hawkeyes are one of three "BCS" schools on our schedule this year (along with State and VT). Former UCF coach Kirk Speraw is on Fran McCaffreys' staff.

Sagarin: Iowa #144, Campbell #195 (Iowa by 5)

Iowa defeated A&T 95-79 and Chicago State 96-53 (compared to CU's 94-66 and 75-69 wins). I have a feeling this one will be close. Would love to see the Camels get their first win vs the Big10.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2011 10:21 PM by OrangeCamel.)
11-22-2011 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

RE: at Iowa
11-22-2011 09:14 AM
oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: campbell
Hopefully we do play well in this one. Creighton, though not a BCS school, will be tougher as they are ranked and pretty darn good (beat Iowa by 25 or so). Thankfully this will help the RPI as well. Those four D1 wins are great (will take them over non-D1 games any day), but our SOS number is rough. By the end of the week it should jump some, then playing VT and NCSU will help, especially if they all keep winning!
11-22-2011 09:48 AM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
(11-22-2011 09:48 AM)oldcamel Wrote:  Hopefully we do play well in this one. Creighton, though not a BCS school, will be tougher as they are ranked and pretty darn good (beat Iowa by 25 or so). Thankfully this will help the RPI as well. Those four D1 wins are great (will take them over non-D1 games any day), but our SOS number is rough. By the end of the week it should jump some, then playing VT and NCSU will help, especially if they all keep winning!

Can I ask a question? I have been around college athletics alot and I have always wondered why people (fans) consider strength of schedule so important in a one bid league anyways?

A high finish in Big South play and a tournament run pretty much guarantees postseason regardless of SOS anyways. So why does it matter if you are 230 or 175 in SOS?
11-22-2011 11:54 AM
oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

The short answer is it doesn't, you are right. At our level and conference, if we stay above 200 in the RPI, that's good. Above 150 I think is great. It helps the RPI number, which in today's game with those extra mid major type tournaments at the end of the year, could potentially help. Meaning - let's say we don't win the regular-season (NIT) or tournament (NCAA), but win 22-23 games and finish second or third in the league. If our SOS/RPI is up, we have a shot for one of those other tournaments, which any postseason is gravy for us!

The silly thing about the numbers game is we can lose to Iowa and Creighton and will be higher in RPI than we were at 4-0.
11-23-2011 01:52 PM
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
(11-23-2011 01:52 PM)oldcamel Wrote:  The short answer is it doesn't, you are right. At our level and conference, if we stay above 200 in the RPI, that's good. Above 150 I think is great. It helps the RPI number, which in today's game with those extra mid major type tournaments at the end of the year, could potentially help. Meaning - let's say we don't win the regular-season (NIT) or tournament (NCAA), but win 22-23 games and finish second or third in the league. If our SOS/RPI is up, we have a shot for one of those other tournaments, which any postseason is gravy for us!

The silly thing about the numbers game is we can lose to Iowa and Creighton and will be higher in RPI than we were at 4-0.

Those postseason tournaments go off tickets sold and not RPI unfortunately. If you remember two years ago that is why CU missed out. Had nothing to do with RPI.
11-23-2011 02:02 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

A win would be good. We have to play better than we did the other night at Chicago State. They are not a very good team and we let them almost catch us at the end. Got to get the ball in bounds without a turnover.

Hoping for a win at Iowa. You are right that Crieighton will be alot tougher.
11-23-2011 03:23 PM
oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

I should have said D1 games, we only won 17 of those a couple of years ago and were in the 180's in RPI, I agree, I doubt we could never host because of the bid process.

Any video for this Iowa game?
11-23-2011 07:48 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

Camels up 38-31 at the half!! I was a little concerned considering Iowa is coming off that big loss vs Creighton, but nice first half with CU leading by as many as 16.
11-23-2011 09:13 PM
Advertisement

oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

Nice!!! Watched the game online, Iowa radio guy was pissed haha. Big win!
11-23-2011 10:04 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: at Iowa W 77-61 (5-0)
Congrats. I'm a Campbell fan this year. Big win for your guys.
11-23-2011 11:01 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(11-22-2011 11:54 AM)Statman101 Wrote:  
(11-22-2011 09:48 AM)oldcamel Wrote:  Hopefully we do play well in this one. Creighton, though not a BCS school, will be tougher as they are ranked and pretty darn good (beat Iowa by 25 or so). Thankfully this will help the RPI as well. Those four D1 wins are great (will take them over non-D1 games any day), but our SOS number is rough. By the end of the week it should jump some, then playing VT and NCSU will help, especially if they all keep winning!

Can I ask a question? I have been around college athletics alot and I have always wondered why people (fans) consider strength of schedule so important in a one bid league anyways?

A high finish in Big South play and a tournament run pretty much guarantees postseason regardless of SOS anyways. So why does it matter if you are 230 or 175 in SOS?

A good SoS equals a better RPI and that can also help you schedule better teams in following years. Multibid leagues do need higher SoS for a shot at a tourney bid. They will schedule teams that give them a shot at that. Kind of a secondary advantage to getting the highest RPI you can.
11-23-2011 11:11 PM
WinthropEagleFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
(11-23-2011 11:11 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(11-22-2011 11:54 AM)Statman101 Wrote:  

A good SoS equals a better RPI and that can also help you schedule better teams in following years. Multibid leagues do need higher SoS for a shot at a tourney bid. They will schedule teams that give them a shot at that. Kind of a secondary advantage to getting the highest RPI you can.

And a strong SOS generally gives you opportunities for 'good' wins (in the NCAA tourney committee's eyes), and when you pull those off (not sure at the end of the year if Iowa will qualify or not...but either way, a nice win), it can help your seeding if you get to the NCAAs. Winthrop's best tourney seedings have come in years where they knocked off other Tournament or Bubble teams. So your SOS 'number' doesn't necessarily matter, but inherently in a strong SOS is good opponents, which gives more opportunities for 'good' wins.
11-24-2011 08:34 AM
Advertisement

oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

The best part of any win like this is watching the opponent message board melt down. They make all the camel jokes, soup jokes, and generally fall apart. Love it.
11-24-2011 10:38 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

(11-24-2011 10:38 AM)oldcamel Wrote:  The best part of any win like this is watching the opponent message board melt down. They make all the camel jokes, soup jokes, and generally fall apart. Love it.

From the C-USA board....

http://www.ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=534548
11-24-2011 07:06 PM
Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

I'm loving the hate. Its like I'm showering in haterade.
11-24-2011 09:18 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

Great Win. Good for the program.
11-28-2011 07:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.