Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Major Bowl Would The Big East Get In the Future?
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
What Major Bowl Would The Big East Get In the Future?
One option being discussed by the BCS is having the BCS be responsible only for matching the #1 and #2 teams---Nothing else. There would be no AQ's. The bowls would be free to select whomever they wish. Under that senario, many bowls would seek to tie themsleves to various conferences to gain the rights to the conference champion or runner-ups. These agreements, would essentially function as AQ's. Most of the major conferences have a historical tie to a major bowl. If this system comes to pass, what are the Big Easts options for a major bowl?
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 09:29 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-21-2011 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Does the Big East Get A Major Bowl In the Future?
There is not a chance a major bowl will turn down the BE if ND is also involved. If BE can get a major bowl on its own, it would be better. Worst case BE can work out something with ND and get a tie in to a major bowl.
11-21-2011 08:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Does the Big East Get A Major Bowl In the Future?
Are you asking this question on every conference's boards, or only on ours?
11-21-2011 08:17 PM
Attackcoog Offline

RE: What Major Bowl Would the Big East Get In the Future?
(11-21-2011 08:17 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  Are you asking this question on every conference's boards, or only on ours?

Just here. Im a Houston fan and dont really know much about the BE bowl tie ins, so Im curious where the future BE champion would likley go if the BCS goes in this direction.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 09:27 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-21-2011 09:12 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
RE: What Major Bowl Would the Big East Get In the Future?
(11-21-2011 09:12 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 08:17 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  Are you asking this question on every conference's boards, or only on ours?

Just here. Im a Houston fan and dont really know much about the BE bowl tie ins, so Im curious where the future BE champion would likley go if the BCS goes in this direction.

We don't have a direct BCS bowl tie-in.

As to your question in the subject header, I'd be willing to bet that we do not in the short-term.
11-21-2011 09:29 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: What Major Bowl Would The Big East Get In the Future?
If the BE is willing to offer up ND as part of the package, they would get a decent bowl. Have no idea what that might be, but a proposed lineup consisting of current BE teams plus ND, BYU, Boise, Houston, etc. would be very attractive.
11-21-2011 10:07 PM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Wasn't the Gator Bowl willing to be the Big East AQ bowl if they were added to the BCS lineup? Anyway, if the AQ really does go away, time to invite Memphis and wrangle the Liberty Bowl.
11-21-2011 10:31 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
With Notre Dame in the mix, I think a few bowls would jump. Adding the western group could help get the Big East a few games as well.
11-21-2011 10:34 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-21-2011 08:09 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  One option being discussed by the BCS is having the BCS be responsible only for matching the #1 and #2 teams---Nothing else. There would be no AQ's. The bowls would be free to select whomever they wish. Under that senario, many bowls would seek to tie themsleves to various conferences to gain the rights to the conference champion or runner-ups. These agreements, would essentially function as AQ's. Most of the major conferences have a historical tie to a major bowl. If this system comes to pass, what are the Big Easts options for a major bowl?

Essentially, we don't have one. No major bowl would want a Big East tie-in and Notre Dame would have no incentive to affiliate with us for that purpose.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 11:39 PM by quo vadis.)
11-21-2011 11:36 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-21-2011 11:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 08:09 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  One option being discussed by the BCS is having the BCS be responsible only for matching the #1 and #2 teams---Nothing else. There would be no AQ's. The bowls would be free to select whomever they wish. Under that senario, many bowls would seek to tie themsleves to various conferences to gain the rights to the conference champion or runner-ups. These agreements, would essentially function as AQ's. Most of the major conferences have a historical tie to a major bowl. If this system comes to pass, what are the Big Easts options for a major bowl?

Essentially, we don't have one. No major bowl would want a Big East tie-in and Notre Dame would have no incentive to affiliate with us for that purpose.

Lol...Dude, lighten up, you remind me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Hopefully, should the BCS return to the old system of bowl selection, the BE can get their champion a slot in a decent bowl.
11-21-2011 11:50 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(11-21-2011 10:31 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Wasn't the Gator Bowl willing to be the Big East AQ bowl if they were added to the BCS lineup? Anyway, if the AQ really does go away, time to invite Memphis and wrangle the Liberty Bowl.

The Liberty Bowl has a smaller payouts than the Champs Bowl and the Pinstripe Bowl, and the current matchups (CUSA#1 or SEC8/9) would be pretty bad for the conference champion. If the Big East can no longer guarantee their champion a BCS Bowl, I'd like to see us send our champ to the Gator or Outback Bowl.
11-21-2011 11:53 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-21-2011 11:50 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 11:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Lol...Dude, lighten up, you remind me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Hopefully, should the BCS return to the old system of bowl selection, the BE can get their champion a slot in a decent bowl.

"Lighten up"? You asked a question and i gave an honest answer.

Yes, hopefully our champion would get a slot in a decent bowl, a BCS bowl. For that matter, hopefully i can bang Mila Kunis this weekend too. Neither is very likely ....
11-22-2011 12:09 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-21-2011 11:53 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 10:31 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Wasn't the Gator Bowl willing to be the Big East AQ bowl if they were added to the BCS lineup? Anyway, if the AQ really does go away, time to invite Memphis and wrangle the Liberty Bowl.

The Liberty Bowl has a smaller payouts than the Champs Bowl and the Pinstripe Bowl, and the current matchups (CUSA#1 or SEC8/9) would be pretty bad for the conference champion. If the Big East can no longer guarantee their champion a BCS Bowl, I'd like to see us send our champ to the Gator or Outback Bowl.

I'd like to see that too, but which SEC or B1G team would those bowls kick out to make way for our champion? Answer: None of them.

In all probability, our champ would end up where our top non-BCS qualifier goes right now: to the Champs Sports Bowl, shared with Notre Dame of course.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 12:12 AM by quo vadis.)
11-22-2011 12:11 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-22-2011 12:11 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I'd like to see that too, but which SEC or B1G team would those bowls kick out to make way for our champion? Answer: None of them.

In all probability, our champ would end up where our top non-BCS qualifier goes right now: to the Champs Sports Bowl, shared with Notre Dame of course.

So would this mean, in some years the BE champ might be replaced by Notre Dame, should the Champs Bowl so desire?
11-22-2011 12:22 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

Your negativity knows no end. Seriously, who peed in your cereal again? Then again, I think you are just being your normal self.

Put it this way, no other power conference would share a Big Bowl bid with ND. BE is the only partner for ND and vice versa. You really believe BE plus ND can't land a big bowl? Really? Man, what did USF do to deserve a fan like you anyway?

I will say this though, if we go back to the old bowl system we might have set college football back 25 years. There is no way average fans would want that. It would suck royally.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 01:16 AM by SF Husky.)
11-22-2011 01:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Forget the gators. Jacksonville stinks and they would not go for that deal. The outback might be hard to get but as USF grows there could be enough community pressure for it to happen. That's what happened with the OB
11-22-2011 06:34 AM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa

I wouldn't recommend it for the champ, but the payout would go up if CUSA was replaced by the BE permanently and would draw a higher ranked SEC team.
11-22-2011 07:51 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-22-2011 01:10 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  

Your negativity knows no end. Seriously, who peed in your cereal again? Then again, I think you are just being your normal self.

Put it this way, no other power conference would share a Big Bowl bid with ND. BE is the only partner for ND and vice versa. You really believe BE plus ND can't land a big bowl? Really? Man, what did USF do to deserve a fan like you anyway?

I will say this though, if we go back to the old bowl system we might have set college football back 25 years. There is no way average fans would want that. It would suck royally.

I loved the old bowl system I grew up with in the Sixties and Seventies.

Scrapping this BCS/AQ crap will work just fine as far as I am concerned.

My only (unreasonable) hope is that there would be NO automatic conference tie ins to particular bowls.

That way, more interesting intersectional matchups can take place in bowl games.
11-22-2011 08:16 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
My guess is BE top bowl would end up being one of the 2nd tier bowls. Champs, Gator, would be possibles. ND will be part of the mix, You can easily increase odds of getting Nd by allowing for 2x in 4 years, for the top 2 BE bowls. That will shake out 1 or 2 that might not take BE otherwise. I have no doubt BE will be a clear #6 on the pecking order, just like it is right now.
11-22-2011 08:41 AM
Cooglius Caeser Offline
Banned

"Essentially, we don't have one. No major bowl would want a Big East tie-in and Notre Dame would have no incentive to affiliate with us for that purpose."

No one really has one if you're talking about a hypothetical alignment in a non-AQ scenario. The whole bowl system would be reshuffled. And people that say the BE would not be considered are just being negative.

No one really knows which bowls will exist in two or three years. There could be five or ten created out of whole cloth. There could be five or ten that dissolve.

Those that argue against the BE are primarily trying to throw water on it. It's getting tiring really.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 08:47 AM by Cooglius Caeser.)
11-22-2011 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.