Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Interesting article on Big East, Notre Dame
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

New dynamics increase pressure on Big East

2005 Bonesville.net

The Big East's residence in football nirvana is no longer secure. The decisions made last week at the annual meetings of the Bowl Championship Series generated that unnerving prospect for the reconfigured league.

After more than a year of speculation about the Big East's status at the BCS table, the answer now is clear: If the league proves it can provide the bacon, it is more than welcome to partake in the feast.

The free meal pass the Big East once owned has been revoked.

"There's no guarantee there will be seven automatic (bids)," BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg said last week. "There could be five, there could be six, there could be seven for that two-year block.

"So we're set through the first two years of the new agreement with the same six conferences having automatic qualification berths. This evaluation will occur, and it could change for the final two years for this agreement. That's years three and four of the new agreement, which is the regular seasons of 2008 and 2009."

Landing a BCS bid during and beyond those two seasons is far from a guarantee under the Big East's new set-up. Not only has the league lost its primetime programs, its overall depth has been depleted as well.

Compare that with the new dynamics of major college football — the requirement that leagues compare favorably at both the top of the heap as well as the bottom — and it is difficult to find a valid reason for celebration within Big East circles.

"We're pleased," Pittsburgh AD Jeff Long said last week in putting a positive spin on the turn of events. "There's going to be a fair assessment of all conferences. We, as a conference, will stack up to those standards.

"Having Louisville count obviously will help us."

The same can't be said for Cincinnati or South Florida. While neither is a bottom-of-the-barrel program, they do little to boost the Big East's national perception.

Likewise for Rutgers and Connecticut. Though the Scarlet Knights and Huskies reside in appealing markets, neither has been accused of strengthening the Big East's position in the human or computer polls.

With only eight programs, it will be interesting to see how that foursome balances against the other four, which has had more success historically. The immediate outlook is pessimistic considering the ground Syracuse has lost over the past couple of seasons.

Not to be lost in this is the additional headache a 12-game season is certain to introduce. Seven league games leave five holes on the schedule and provide little negotiating power for most Big East schools.

That Cincinnati, Rutgers, or South Florida can court an additional home game that generates appeal is unlikely. Adding a I-AA opponent that produces a modest turnout and little profit would seem par for the course.

As would a steady decline in the Big East's position in the national power structure's pecking order. Voters look more favorably on schools that schedule aggressively, a notion that is magnified when the league slate is below the desired standard for consideration of mention among the power conferences.

Such is the scenario for the Big East.

Logic suggests the Mountain West Conference at some point will court Boise State. With the addition of Texas Christian this year, that would boost the league to 10 members, easing the non-conference scheduling burden and likely distancing the MWC from the Big East on the food chain.

The Big East simply can't afford to lose more ground. The pressure to multiply has become too intensive to ignore.

Poll-itics

The BCS is entertaining sales pitches from organizations interested in filling the void left by the Associated Press' decision to yank its poll from the equation.

Though a decision likely won't be concrete until sometime this summer, the criteria for voters is growing more clear.

"We had presentations here from the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame as well as the Division I-A Athletic Directors' association," Weiberg said. "We continue to look at a poll that we would potentially include a panel of voters that would be comprised of individuals who have had experience with the sport, either as administrators, coaches or perhaps former players. That's where we're putting most of our focus on at this point."

Splendid idea.

Let's take a group that is somewhat removed from the sport and is unlikely to view enough games to provide a fair gauge. Moreover, make sure that group has intimate ties to specific schools or current coaches, and thus has a strong emotional element that could influence the voting.

With a group of current coaches already casting ballots, there needs to be a media poll that would help provide balance. The media has access to more games and typically is far more knowledgeable about the nation as a whole.

Whichever route the BCS goes, it should wait until at least October before the first opinion poll is revealed.

Cardinal rule

You have to hand it to those BCS suits. They certainly know how to think outside the box.

With the Big East's future status as an automatic qualifier for one of the big-money bowls in jeopardy, the BCS devised a way to give the league a boost.

"What we're taking forward as a recommendation is that your conference membership at the time of evaluation is what will be evaluated," Weiberg said. "The reason for that is that we're trying to get an assessment looking forward of the prospective strength of the conference, even though it will be based on past performance.

"So Louisville will count under that provision, assuming the report is accepted, in the Big East Conference. That is, assuming it is still there when the evaluation is taken four years from now."

What's next? The Big East cashing the checks from Louisville's appearance in the Final Four?

Luck of the Irish

Don't expect Notre Dame to relinquish its Independent status anytime soon.

The new BCS arrangement gives the Irish an all-access pass as if they were a member of a power league, despite their modest position in the national pecking order over the last several seasons.

"Under the new structure, we're going to give Notre Dame an annual share of revenue that is similar to what an annual share would be for a member of any conference that would have automatic qualification," Weiberg said. "In that year when they do qualify, they would receive an at-large share, not a full-conference share.

"That share is currently $4.5 million. They would get an annual share, whether they play in a game or not, and an annual share, if I'm not mistaken, is a little over $1 million."

Add to that the hefty paycheck Notre Dame receives from NBC and the scheduling freedom it enjoys. That alone is a sound reason to remain in a league of its own.
05-02-2005 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

This article is wrong in so many ways:

1. Once and for all BLAME John Swofford and the ACC for the Big East being able to use Louisville BCS Rankings. Plus this decision was done at the start of last years season. Nobody expected UofL to go 11-1.

2. Overall strength favors the Big East. The Big East with UofL, UC and USF in and BC and Temple out made it the 5th conference in the country. I guess the person who wrote the article forgot that 6 of the 8 Big East schools had winning records.

3. Market share does help, TV looks at number of TV sets and nobody has more then the Big East.

And last but not least, IF THE BCS wanted to get rid of the Big East they would have done it in 2003. Me thinks Bonesville is still pissed that they were left out.
05-02-2005 08:19 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Wow,

This critique reek of sour grapes.

I guess all the Big East has to do is add East Carolina with its horrific record in football over the past few years, and its BCS bid is secure (which it is anyway).
05-02-2005 08:27 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

With all due respect to River City Pirate, I wouldn't post anything Denny O'Brien writes. One day he writes an article bashing ECU & the next day he writes an article like the one posted. I lost all respect for Denny when he was interviewed on 850 the Buzz out of Raleigh, which spews ACC BS all day. He sounded like a school girl that was scared of the interviewer. I don't know where Denny went to college, but I view him as an ACC wannabe.
05-02-2005 08:43 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Lets see...the New York Times said that BE football is fine when it comes to the BCS and the Boonsville, NC paper says we may be in some trouble...hmm...who should we believe :rolleyes:

Jackson
05-02-2005 09:16 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

Thanks for the info Riverpirate, but the writer is a small time yahoo who obviously has some kind of agenda.
05-02-2005 11:05 AM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

WacoBearcat Wrote:Wow,

This critique reek of sour grapes.

I guess all the Big East has to do is add East Carolina with its horrific record in football over the past few years, and its BCS bid is secure (which it is anyway).
Don't forget its outstanding basketball program.
05-02-2005 11:24 AM
ctkatz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: colorado avs

lets also not forget the fact that the acc had the lowest average (before this year) of finishers in the top 12 in the bcs poll and on the verge of falling out.

if louisville repeats what it did this year and pitt and wvu can improve on that, we still have no worry of dropping out. although i have no love for this exclusionary system, the fact that people are brainwashed by the crap flowing out of ACCSPN really disturbs me., and especially coming out of greenville. ecu had ample opportunity to maintain what it had and let it slip away. don't hate on louisville, cincy or especially south florida because they are no longer a part of the abysmal cusa.
05-02-2005 11:50 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Quote:Maize Posted on May 2 2005, 08:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article is wrong in so many ways:

1. Once and for all BLAME John Swofford and the ACC for the Big East being able to use Louisville BCS Rankings. Plus this decision was done at the start of last years season. Nobody expected UofL to go 11-1.

2. Overall strength favors the Big East. The Big East with UofL, UC and USF in and BC and Temple out made it the 5th conference in the country. I guess the person who wrote the article forgot that 6 of the 8 Big East schools had winning records.

3. Market share does help, TV looks at number of TV sets and nobody has more then the Big East.

Agree with points 1 and 3, but strongly disagree with #2. Had the original BE expansion (which kept BC and only took UL and UC) gone through, the BE would have been the third best conference under the overall adjusted rankings behind only the Big 12 and ACC.

Of course, without a Temple to beat up, it's highly doubtful the BE will finish as high in 2005 unless of course we win more OOC games than we did last year.

Cheers,
Neil
05-02-2005 05:05 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

i would call it a terrible article, but in fact it's not really an article, just commentary from someone who obviously has no clue what he is talking about.

anybody on this message board could spout off with an equal amount of validity.
05-02-2005 07:18 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats

River city- In the future could you please indicate in your title that the article you are refrencing is from the bonesville or whatever hick paper this is so that I will not waste my time and click on it. What some yahooo alumni from east carolina(tier 4 university) thinks about the Big East is completely uninteresting.
05-02-2005 07:58 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

shocknawe Wrote:River city- In the future could you please indicate in your title that the article you are refrencing is from the bonesville or whatever hick paper this is so that I will not waste my time and click on it. What some yahooo alumni from east carolina(tier 4 university) thinks about the Big East is completely uninteresting.
You are quickly moving up to ignore status... quit acting like a jacka$$ as you give UC fans a bad name.
05-02-2005 08:13 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Let's just split and add Memphis to get to 9, and go with our business! 04-cheers
05-02-2005 09:50 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators

great post wilkie thats what i've been saying all along. split pick up memphis. memphis has a solid tv market. descent fball and bball programs. hopefully the new league has more olympic style sports and what not. pitt has like what 17 sports and big 10 schools has like 10 more. lets add those few more sports. have an academic coalition as well. make it happen presidents its in ur hands
05-03-2005 04:40 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Yes, let's do it! 04-cheers
05-03-2005 05:20 PM
Special Teams

You don't have any facts straight there pal. The tier 4 school is Memphis. East Carolina is tier 3. Thanks for playing.

Oh by the way I could give a damn less about what articles you do or don't want to read.

:wave:
05-04-2005 11:52 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:You don't have any facts straight there pal. The tier 4 school is Memphis. East Carolina is tier 3. Thanks for playing.

Oh by the way I could give a damn less about what articles you do or don't want to read.

This was directed to you there shock!
05-04-2005 11:53 AM
Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Wilkie01 Wrote:Let's just split and add Memphis to get to 9, and go with our business! 04-cheers
[Image: surf_24.jpg]

I perfer ECU because they are closer to the Atlantic than Memphis is. But hey, ECU or Memphis is OK with me. The important thing is the break errrr split occurs. 04-cheers
05-04-2005 01:23 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:
RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:You don't have any facts straight there pal.  The tier 4 school is Memphis.  East Carolina is tier 3.  Thanks for playing.

This was directed to you there shock!
Watch yourself River City! Why do you think slamming Memphis in anyway offends me? Enjoy CUSA! Maybe now Cincy,UL and south Fl have left you can go .500 in the league! :laugh:
05-04-2005 06:58 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

Who is this guy, a MWC homer. It's so contrary to everything else I've read. Seems to me the Big East was very happy with the BCS meeting. This guy paints a picture like the roof is about to cave in and the BE is running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. No sour grapes from BE fans...but it seems like the writer of this article is a little sour.
05-04-2005 07:04 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.