Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pass Rush
FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

I Root For: Toledo
Pass Rush
I realize that TJ Fatinikun was lost to injury several games back, but where did the rest of the pass rushers go?

How did Carder drop back 59 times and get sacked only twice?

He had all day back there and hardly ever had to hurry.

What happened to the defensive line that we raved about earlier in the season? You know, the one that only gave up 20 points to Ohio State.
11-09-2011 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Pass Rush
(11-09-2011 08:44 AM)FtLauderdaleRocket Wrote:  I realize that TJ Fatinikun was lost to injury several games back, but where did the rest of the pass rushers go?

How did Carder drop back 59 times and get sacked only twice?

He had all day back there and hardly ever had to hurry.

What happened to the defensive line that we raved about earlier in the season? You know, the one that only gave up 20 points to Ohio State.

Quote:Man (UT Defense) up and vanished like a fart in the wind! Nothing left but some damn rocks on the windowsill. And that cupcake on the wall! Let's ask her, maybe she knows... Warden Samuel Norton, The Shawshank Redemption.
11-09-2011 08:55 AM
factman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
We had the same thing at BG when Timmy and Ward were in charge of the defense and the offense was rolling up a lot of points.
11-09-2011 08:58 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(11-09-2011 08:58 AM)factman Wrote:  We had the same thing at BG when Timmy and Ward were in charge of the defense and the offense was rolling up a lot of points.

How about now with Davey?
11-09-2011 09:04 AM
rockytop Offline
1st String

Coach B says he spends more time with the D. Some of this has to be game planning. What ever they are trying to do isn't working. It turns the game into a joke. Special teams.... we must be the worst in college football. I don't get it. Put the starters out there if you have to. You just can't let good teams start at the 40 time after time.
11-09-2011 09:11 AM
toledo1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: toledo
Our defense has totally lost its edge. Fatinikun and Rancifer are part of the reason. Pass rush is attitude and we lost it.
11-09-2011 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I think you're right on the money toledo1.
11-09-2011 11:51 AM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
Please give a little credit to the WMU offensive line. We aren't the first to have trouble getting to Carder. For one, their left tackle is a moutain at 6'5" and 325 (that's his listed weight...I'm betting he's closer to 365). He put Malcolm Riley on the turf while rushing the QB and then dropped on him. Malcolm's a big boy, but his 285lbs was given all it could handle. Oh, and WMU was held to 87 rushing yards on the game, only 34 of those coming in the 2nd half. They pass because they're damn good at it.
11-09-2011 02:20 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

(11-09-2011 02:20 PM)Karl Wrote:  Please give a little credit to the WMU offensive line. We aren't the first to have trouble getting to Carder. For one, their left tackle is a moutain at 6'5" and 325 (that's his listed weight...I'm betting he's closer to 365). He put Malcolm Riley on the turf while rushing the QB and then dropped on him. Malcolm's a big boy, but his 285lbs was given all it could handle. Oh, and WMU was held to 87 rushing yards on the game, only 34 of those coming in the 2nd half. They pass because they're damn good at it.

Nailed it.

UT was getting pressure on Cardder. He has a quick release, and great timing. He was totally sacked by Riley once, and still completed the pass. He threw the ball all over the place, but was definitely taking some hits. WMU and NIU have strong QBs.

Happy with UTs composure. Fatinikun is being missed. He is very disruptive out there. I hope he can eventually make it back.

The big question is how do we replace good DBs and safeties like Robinson, Morrow, Marrow, and Paige. I am perplexed how Toledo is getting torched by the pass with so many talented defensive secondary players. I assume and I am hoping Emmilian and Hayden are hanging with the program. The time Suggs and Wilcher are getting is very important.

Go Rockets!!
11-09-2011 09:20 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(11-09-2011 09:11 AM)rockytop Wrote:  Coach B says he spends more time with the D. Some of this has to be game planning. What ever they are trying to do isn't working. It turns the game into a joke. Special teams.... we must be the worst in college football. I don't get it. Put the starters out there if you have to. You just can't let good teams start at the 40 time after time.

Many of our starters are out there...I've noticed Bell, Robinson, Molls, Anderson (started...D was pretty good with him in there).
11-09-2011 09:30 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(11-09-2011 09:20 PM)PTLROCK Wrote:  
(11-09-2011 02:20 PM)Karl Wrote:  Please give a little credit to the WMU offensive line. We aren't the first to have trouble getting to Carder. For one, their left tackle is a moutain at 6'5" and 325 (that's his listed weight...I'm betting he's closer to 365). He put Malcolm Riley on the turf while rushing the QB and then dropped on him. Malcolm's a big boy, but his 285lbs was given all it could handle. Oh, and WMU was held to 87 rushing yards on the game, only 34 of those coming in the 2nd half. They pass because they're damn good at it.

Nailed it.

UT was getting pressure on Cardder. He has a quick release, and great timing. He was totally sacked by Riley once, and still completed the pass. He threw the ball all over the place, but was definitely taking some hits. WMU and NIU have strong QBs.

Happy with UTs composure. Fatinikun is being missed. He is very disruptive out there. I hope he can eventually make it back.

The big question is how do we replace good DBs and safeties like Robinson, Morrow, Marrow, and Paige. I am perplexed how Toledo is getting torched by the pass with so many talented defensive secondary players. I assume and I am hoping Emmilian and Hayden are hanging with the program. The time Suggs and Wilcher are getting is very important.

Go Rockets!!

I agree that WMU has a nice passing attack, but I wouldn't get too excited about giving up less than 100 yds rushing to them. They didn't need to run when they were getting 10yds with each completed pass.

As for why we are getting torched on the pass...poor technique, angles, tackling, etc. We also seem to give a pretty big cushion as well. Defense has been poor all the way around...it's really tough to watch.

What's up with Jayrone Elliott...hurt or just MIA...don't recall seeing or hearing his name much in the past few games.
11-09-2011 09:36 PM
Advertisement

Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Elliott played, mostly on third downs. He's a remarkable talent. WMU has a nice offensive line. We couldn't really blitz due to their 4-5 receiver formation.
11-10-2011 07:09 AM
FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

Sorry guys, I'm not buying it.

The Toledo defense has given up 63 points two weeks in a row to MAC teams.

From what I've seen on TV, the defensive line is being stood up on each and every play. They are getting zero push. The pocket does not collapse.

Earlier in the season this was not the case. The DLine got penetration from mulitple points and was able to get pressure on the QB against much better teams (OSU and Boise).

The loss of Fatinikun has to be huge, but the other 3 starters are still there.

Something is wrong...VERY, VERY, WRONG!
11-10-2011 08:32 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Alex Carder is currently the 12th ranked passer in the nation and #1 in the MAC. His percentage of completion against the Rockets equaled his season average of 68+%. Carder is averaging 25.38 completions per game. BTW, Boise State's Kellen Moore ranks 16th.
11-10-2011 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(11-10-2011 01:46 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  Alex Carder is currently the 12th ranked passer in the nation and #1 in the MAC. His percentage of completion against the Rockets equaled his season average of 68+%. Carder is averaging 25.38 completions per game. BTW, Boise State's Kellen Moore ranks 16th.

WMU had some big drops or he'd have been higher. Moore's receivers dropped two early but af6er that were simply amazing.
11-10-2011 02:05 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

The WMU TE's catch - take away from Paige was the equal of any Boise State reciever turning an INT into a big gainer reception.
11-10-2011 02:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

With all the other receivers stepping up, I kept coming back to the thought, just put Page in there on D and let him wing a little man to man. Couldn't have been worse, could it?
11-10-2011 04:07 PM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

(11-10-2011 08:32 AM)FtLauderdaleRocket Wrote:  Sorry guys, I'm not buying it.

The Toledo defense has given up 63 points two weeks in a row to MAC teams.

From what I've seen on TV, the defensive line is being stood up on each and every play. They are getting zero push. The pocket does not collapse.

Earlier in the season this was not the case. The DLine got penetration from mulitple points and was able to get pressure on the QB against much better teams (OSU and Boise).

The loss of Fatinikun has to be huge, but the other 3 starters are still there.

Something is wrong...VERY, VERY, WRONG!
Agreed. I felt that the D was a strength early in the season... including for the better part of the Boise game. Something has changed and not for the better. Our defensive backs are getting beat badly, often by 5-7 yards. Very ugly and painful to watch. Thank God for the amazing offense that we have this year. Too many weapons for most teams to defend.
11-10-2011 06:38 PM
Photodan Offline
All American

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
WMU's offensive line didn't have to protect for long. Most of Carder's passes were delivered in less than 2 seconds.

The problem wasn't the effort of the defensive line.
11-12-2011 10:58 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(11-10-2011 07:09 AM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  Elliott played, mostly on third downs. He's a remarkable talent. WMU has a nice offensive line. We couldn't really blitz due to their 4-5 receiver formation.

Very fan friendly, too. Seems like a good hearted kid. Hope things continue to go well for him in our defense.
11-12-2011 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.