Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TROY - Time For Change?
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
TROY - Time For Change?
I'd like to get some thoughts on some seemingly unbiased posters here. Troy, who has won five titles in a row, isn't having the greatest year, and the defense hasn't been good for a while (combination of injuries, graduation, starters not going to class, and coaching, etc...). We currently have the same HC and DC from all five titles, and an OC that called really good games last season. Through what yall have heard about Troy over the years, do you guys think it's time for new coordinators and/or a new head coach? Middle Tennessee is going through similar struggles as well. I personally think only time will tell. We could have a down year like LSU had in 2008, or we might really need new sparks on this team. I'd like your opinions.

11-06-2011 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
RE: TROY - Time For Change?
And it's BLAME GAME TIME !03-hissyfit
11-06-2011 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(11-06-2011 05:27 PM)MG61 Wrote:  And it's BLAME GAME TIME !03-hissyfit

I personally think people should wait on blaming the coaches. There's a lot going on with this team non-coaching related. I'm inclined to give the team a pass for now, but if this continues next season we could be in real trouble.

Just curious though, why is it that every time a Troy fan posts a thread about Troy you have something negative to say? Not hatin, just curious man.
11-06-2011 05:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Not until the slide reaches 2 years or more IMHO.

EVERY team has a down year and Troy was certainly due one.
11-06-2011 05:31 PM
gatadotcom Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GaSouthern & UL
Trying to defense the Triple Option offense will cause you to look and sound like an idiot in front of a television camera. It ain't all Larry's fault. He had been befuddled by Navy' option offense for thirty minutes. Hell, I bet some of his defensive backs and linebackers weren't capable of speech at that point.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 05:33 PM by gatadotcom.)
11-06-2011 05:31 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(11-06-2011 05:31 PM)gatadotcom Wrote:  Trying to defense the Triple Option offense will cause you to look and sound like an idiot in front of a television camera. It ain't all Larry's fault. He had been befuddled by Navy' option offense for thirty minutes. Hell, I bet some of his defensive backs and linebackers weren't capable of speech at that point.

Well, my question is more or less due to the constant negativity on our board over the last two months. The video was just a little fodder.
11-06-2011 05:34 PM
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
yeah GTT has been in meltdown mode for a while now. it's like Mad Max over there, I should know...I'm one of the cops.

[Image: madmax.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 05:48 PM by Burn the Horse.)
11-06-2011 05:45 PM
westcoastwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
Yea, you should follow the UNT path, fire Blakeny, and hire the Prattville High School coach. 03-wink
11-06-2011 05:59 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

(11-06-2011 05:59 PM)westcoastwolf Wrote:  Yea, you should follow the UNT path, fire Blakeny, and hire the Prattville High School coach. 03-wink

I'm from and currently live in Prattville, so I know a good bit about the PHS program. the current coach is not as good as the guy that South hired away to be their DC. he just has a ton o' talent thanks to the reputation the school has for winning and producing scholarship athletes.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 06:03 PM by Burn the Horse.)
11-06-2011 06:03 PM
crawfish3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
I don't think one bad year is justification fire any coach. In Blakely's case, since he built the program and has been there for so long, I do not think he leaves until he decides to. Same was true with Scnelly, who definitely outstayed his time.

I think Troy will recover with Blakely though, he is a good recruiter and has a record of producing giant killer teams.
11-06-2011 06:12 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
What????

You guys want to fire a guy that took you to 5 bowl games over one bad season? It happens. Man up.

I would say that after what Blakney has accomplished that you guys would give him at least two or three years (enough recruiting classes to repair most any damage).
11-06-2011 06:14 PM
Advertisement

TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Loyalty to coaches who have had past success is a give-and-take game.

Give them time to have down years: that is a sign of growth if your program can just pick right back up from where it left off a couple years back.

I would know...O'Leary has brought us through so many ups and downs. 03-phew
11-06-2011 06:19 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(11-06-2011 06:14 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  What????

You guys want to fire a guy that took you to 5 bowl games over one bad season? It happens. Man up.

I would say that after what Blakney has accomplished that you guys would give him at least two or three years (enough recruiting classes to repair most any damage).

Not all of them, but a large amount of them though. I'm of the same mindset, at least of the head coach. No reason to get rid of Blakeney in my mind. There's a lot of LB haters over at gtt.
11-06-2011 06:23 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Like 2k said.....He deserves a pass for at least 2-3 seasons. LB has made your program...give him time to regroup.
11-06-2011 06:27 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I'm in the Blakeney camp. as far as I'm concerned, his job is secure until he decides to retire. he is a Legend.
11-06-2011 06:45 PM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Look.....you lost a lot of your top offensive weapons and you lost your top returning offensive weapons at wide receive at the beginning of the year. That throws you off alot. It has been a good run for Troy and this is just a down year during the overall improvement of the SBC. I think with everything that Blakney has done for Troy he has earned one bad year. I think ya'll will be just fine.
11-06-2011 06:51 PM
Advertisement

don63 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Cajuns
I would certainly keep him. He is Troy football. Remember NT fired their coach after dominating the conference. They are just now recovering.
11-06-2011 07:05 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy
Troy has lost key players to grades and injuries in receiving, O-line, defensive backfield and more. I can understand a drop-off in success.

But for several years (not just this one), coaching has been poor - especially when it came to game planning and adjustments. There just weren't any adjustments.

It might not be time for Blakeney to go (although at this point it might be time for an entire regime change), but the D coordinator has to go along with perhaps some other assistants. They are not getting the job done - and not just this year. Defense has been in a freefall for several years with no changes. We keep covering 7 yards off the receivers, getting beaten down the middle on bombs and now can't even cover the dive play (FIU) or option (Navy). In the past, Troy's offense was so productive, that Troy could give up 30 points and still win handily.

The bleeding has to stop.

Troy's spread offense is now run by lots of teams. The secret is out. It's time to do it better than anyone else or move onto something else.

I would also like to see coaching that can effectively motivate and teach players to stop making bonehead mistakes every game, stupid, thuggish penalties like out-of-bounds hits and more, and how to carry the ball without fumbling twice in a row in the red zone, and coaching that gets fire up once in a while and appears to care whether the game is won or lost. That goes for the players, too, who appear to be a dazed and uninterested. That's not the Troy players I remember.

Troy drove right down the field on Navy two consecutive times to start the game and gave the ball away both times. These dink passes are now covered and yet we still run them, even when it's third-and-10! What's a 5-yard pass going to get you when the receiver is double-covered, even if he does catch it?!

Yes, the talent is diminished, but the program is broken and either the head coach needs to right the ship immediately (he is too loyal has been very hesitant to fire assistants in the past), or we need an entire regime change.

If Troy isn't as talented as the Sun Belt teams it routinely dispatched for the last five seasons, then who is to blame? Coaches, perhaps? Why hasn't Troy been able to recruit the best players in the Sun Belt with some of the conference's best facilities, lots of TV appearances, a ring and a bowl game almost every year?

Oh, and while I'm at it, we need an athletic director who gives a fracking damn about the fans and considers them before stupidly changing Homecoming to a noon start for a stupid, low-ratings TV channel and costs thousands of people their weekend plans.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 08:07 PM by BMarkey.)
11-06-2011 07:53 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(11-06-2011 06:14 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  What????

We have people wanting to fire all of the coaches and move back to 1-AA. Many of our fans are spoiled and expect championships every year. Bottom line is that there is plenty of blame to go around to players and coaches. However, we aren't nearly as talented as we have been in the past. Couple that along with a big improvement by many of the teams in the conference and you have a team that will struggle. I've most certainly made many of them mad over there. But, I will stick to my guns and support the players and coaches during the down time regardless of how long it lasts.
11-06-2011 08:02 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
I think Troy should get rid of Blakeney so he won't whip our arses year in and year out.
11-06-2011 08:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.