Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Did The Big East Get To This Point?
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
How Did The Big East Get To This Point?
I know there are lot of opinions regarding the status of the BE....

What I would like to know is this....what went so wrong that teams started leaving in the first place? Something must have been out of place, or unaddressed by the conference leadership. I see the BB schools voting on FB issues as a major problem, but what else? Was it simply money? This should have remained a top conference. Schools with lots of money. Massive recruiting base. Huge TV markets....You have cities with larger populations than most SEC/Big XII states. I don't get it.

I know you BE folks know the deal here. Sound off04-cheers04-cheers
11-04-2011 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wvfan27 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: How Did The Big East Get To This Point?
lack of competitive TV revenue, lack of fan support(which leads to a lack of good bowl opportunities), lack of leadership, unworkable business model, ect
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 07:04 PM by wvfan27.)
11-04-2011 07:02 PM
WVUMounties Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WVU
The Catholic basketball schools are at the heart of it all.
11-04-2011 07:02 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
It all goes back to not having Penn St. If the orginial league had Miami and Penn St all of this would have never happened and the hybrid would have worked. You can't have a major Eastern Football League exist without the region's most popular team. It would be like having a SWC without Texas

I also think that is going to be a major challenge for BE bball in the future because the East's most popular hoops team, Syracuse, is now no longer in the league either

Jackson
11-04-2011 07:29 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(11-04-2011 07:02 PM)WVUMounties Wrote:  The Catholic basketball schools are at the heart of it all.

No, they really aren't. They're simply convenient scapegoats.

The basic fact is that the football schools as a group never really felt comfortable with each other a& were never committed to each other.
11-04-2011 07:39 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(11-04-2011 07:29 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  It all goes back to not having Penn St. If the orginial league had Miami and Penn St all of this would have never happened and the hybrid would have worked. You can't have a major Eastern Football League exist without the region's most popular team. It would be like having a SWC without Texas

I also think that is going to be a major challenge for BE bball in the future because the East's most popular hoops team, Syracuse, is now no longer in the league either

Jackson

Syracuse has been supplanted by UConn as the region's premier hoops program.
11-04-2011 07:40 PM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(11-04-2011 06:54 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I know there are lot of opinions regarding the status of the BE....

What I would like to know is this....what went so wrong that teams started leaving in the first place? Something must have been out of place, or unaddressed by the conference leadership. I see the BB schools voting on FB issues as a major problem, but what else? Was it simply money? This should have remained a top conference. Schools with lots of money. Massive recruiting base. Huge TV markets....You have cities with larger populations than most SEC/Big XII states. I don't get it.

Rather than dealing with this question in isolation, it would probably be more enlightening to like at the Big XII as well. It's not like this has happened in isolation & that the Big East is the only conference affected.

The Big East has lost 3 members & one additional school has had a change of heart after initially accepting membership but before ever becoming part of the conference.

The Big XII has lost 4 members over the past year & a half. In addition, they had 4 other members on the verge of leaving for the Pac 10/12 not once but twice within a year.
11-04-2011 07:44 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
1) The Northeast has historically been dominated by pro sports. The Giants, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Steelers, Bills, Redskins, etc. rule football in the Northeast. But in other parts of the country, the NFL hasn't been as popular. The Southeast didn't even have the NFL until 1966 with the Saints, Falcons, and Dolphins. In places outside of the Northeast, college football was their version of the NFL for a long time.

2) The Big East shares the East Coast with the ACC. The schools of the ACC are no "better" than the schools of the Big East (when you include BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, etc. as part of the Big East), but the ACC as a conference is much older and more established than the Big East. If there was going to be a struggle for survival between the conferences, the Big East never had a chance of coming out on top.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 07:54 PM by UConn-SMU.)
11-04-2011 07:49 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
The BE was a conference made up of several distinct groups. This meant it was at least twice as had for them to do something and made them less united as a group.
11-04-2011 07:53 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(11-04-2011 07:39 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  The basic fact is that the football schools as a group never really felt comfortable with each other & were never committed to each other.
You could also use the present-tense and still be telling the truth.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 07:54 PM by Native Georgian.)
11-04-2011 07:54 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
The problem with the Big East goes back to before its formation. In the 1970s, Penn State wanted to get the Eastern Independents together in one conference, but also wanted unfair advantages and concessions in football, which killed the deal. Pitt was coming off the 1976 national championship and was every bit the equal of the Nittany Lions. So the idea went nowhere at that time.

The second problem came when the Big East was formed. Dave Gavitt and Providence wanted to create the greatest basketball league in NCAA history, based on capturing all the big Northeast markets. Rutgers and Temple were original target schools, but both said no, because they were loyal to Joe Paterno and his plans. Those rejections completely changed the direction of the Big East.

As you know, Seton Hall and Villanova were the second choices in the New Jersey and Philadelphia markets, and the problems began. If the Big East had only included Providence, St. John's, and Georgetown as Catholic schools, it could have still worked out. UConn might have upgraded earlier. BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Temple would have eventually gotten Penn State and Pitt voted in.

What happened in real life was Penn State applied in 1982. Five teams voted yes and three voted no (believed by some to be Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown). Problem was they needed six to get in. Then, to prevent Paterno from luring BC and Syracuse to a new conference, the Big East voted to add Pitt instead. This bit of egotistical treachery was basically the point of no return.

A new President took over at Penn State in the late 1980s and decided he wanted them in the Big Ten. At that point, the Big East opted to grab Miami for all sports, to substitute for the star power lost due to Penn State's move. Then they added Rutgers, Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia as football-only members, joining the Hurricanes, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt in the gridiron hybrid.

A huge opportunity was also missed in 1994. CBS offered the football schools a contract to break away, form their own all-sports league, and expand. Instead, they compromised by adding Rutgers and West Virginia for all sports, plus Notre Dame in everything but football. Temple and Virginia Tech got screwed, although the Hokies did eventually get basketball membership, shortly before leaving.

You know the rest, with the ACC pulling off a raid in 2003, followed by the chaos of this year. So the reason the Big East is where it is, in my opinion, is because of bad decisions and half-baked compromises. Rutgers and Temple should have said yes in 1979. Penn State should have been admitted in 1982. The football schools should have taken the money from CBS and broken away in 1994.
11-04-2011 08:05 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Pure lack of vision and lack of leadership. The BE should have been proactive in bringing in inventory on the FB side at least 2 years ago..(and it could have been done with FB only schools) They sat back and allowed the BB side to dictate the conference. The schools that valued FB pushed for expansion to no avail and lead to them simply want to abandon the BE despite its BB heritage. The best the leadership could come up with was to offer an invite to Nova? What more needs to be said about the ineptitude of this bunch. The only reason anyone would want to be a part of this is for the money. It damn sure is not because of the leadership and vision of this mess called the BE. Hopefully they have learned from this failure and can move ahead and be more proactive in the future.
11-04-2011 08:09 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(11-04-2011 07:44 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  The Big East has lost 3 members & one additional school has had a change of heart after initially accepting membership but before ever becoming part of the conference.
And that's just in the past 7 weeks!

For 13 consecutive seasons (1991-2003), the Big East football conference had the same 8 members:
Boston College
Miami/FL
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

It is really amazing to think that only One (1) of those teams (Rutgers) intends to be a member of the Big East within 8 months of today. It is also interesting to compare the "old 8" with the "new 8" (and of course, the "new 8" may have more teams added very shortly)

Boston College . . . . . . Cincinnati
Miami/FL . . . . . . . . . .Connecticut
Pittsburgh. . . . . . . . . .Houston
Rutgers . . . . . . . . . .Louisville
Syracuse . . . . . . . . . Rutgers
Temple . . . . . . . . . .SMU
Virginia Tech . . . . . . . UCF
West Virginia . . . . . . . USF
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 08:18 PM by Native Georgian.)
11-04-2011 08:15 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2011 07:44 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(11-04-2011 06:54 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I know there are lot of opinions regarding the status of the BE....

Rather than dealing with this question in isolation, it would probably be more enlightening to like at the Big XII as well. It's not like this has happened in isolation & that the Big East is the only conference affected.

The Big East has lost 3 members & one additional school has had a change of heart after initially accepting membership but before ever becoming part of the conference.

The Big XII has lost 4 members over the past year & a half. In addition, they had 4 other members on the verge of leaving for the Pac 10/12 not once but twice within a year.

I know all about the Big XII. I am asking what happened to the BE. I think at least the Big XII is working out their issues and will be fine now. Up until the WVU situation, the Big XII had nothing to do with the BE problems. If the BE didn't have issues then maybe the Big XII would still be sitting at eight schools without Misouri...
11-04-2011 08:15 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
(11-04-2011 08:15 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  And that's just in the past 7 weeks!

For 13 consecutive seasons (1991-2003), the Big East football conference had the same 8 members:
Boston College
Miami/FL
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

It is really amazing to think that only One (1) of those teams (Rutgers) intends to be a member of the Big East within 8 months of today. It is also interesting to compare the "old 8" with the "new 8" (and of course, the "new 8" may have more teams added very shortly)

Boston College . . . . . . Cincinnati
Miami/FL . . . . . . . . . .Connecticut
Pittsburgh. . . . . . . . . .Houston
Rutgers . . . . . . . . . .Louisville
Syracuse . . . . . . . . . Rutgers
Temple . . . . . . . . . .SMU
Virginia Tech . . . . . . . UCF
West Virginia . . . . . . . USF

I was actually thinking about it in terms of which team replaced which team.

Rutgers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rutgers
Temple . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UConn
Miami . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Louisville
Virginia Tech . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cincinnati
Boston College . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . USF
Syracuse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UCF
Pittsburgh . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SMU
West Virginia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Houston

I also keep imagining what if we had Florida State rather than Virginia Tech?
11-04-2011 08:40 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(11-04-2011 08:05 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  The problem with the Big East goes back to before its formation. In the 1970s, Penn State wanted to get the Eastern Independents together in one conference, but also wanted unfair advantages and concessions in football, which killed the deal. Pitt was coming off the 1976 national championship and was every bit the equal of the Nittany Lions. So the idea went nowhere at that time.

The second problem came when the Big East was formed. Dave Gavitt and Providence wanted to create the greatest basketball league in NCAA history, based on capturing all the big Northeast markets. Rutgers and Temple were original target schools, but both said no, because they were loyal to Joe Paterno and his plans. Those rejections completely changed the direction of the Big East.

As you know, Seton Hall and Villanova were the second choices in the New Jersey and Philadelphia markets, and the problems began. If the Big East had only included Providence, St. John's, and Georgetown as Catholic schools, it could have still worked out. UConn might have upgraded earlier. BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Temple would have eventually gotten Penn State and Pitt voted in.

What happened in real life was Penn State applied in 1982. Five teams voted yes and three voted no (believed by some to be Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown). Problem was they needed six to get in. Then, to prevent Paterno from luring BC and Syracuse to a new conference, the Big East voted to add Pitt instead. This bit of egotistical treachery was basically the point of no return.

A new President took over at Penn State in the late 1980s and decided he wanted them in the Big Ten. At that point, the Big East opted to grab Miami for all sports, to substitute for the star power lost due to Penn State's move. Then they added Rutgers, Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia as football-only members, joining the Hurricanes, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt in the gridiron hybrid.

A huge opportunity was also missed in 1994. CBS offered the football schools a contract to break away, form their own all-sports league, and expand. Instead, they compromised by adding Rutgers and West Virginia for all sports, plus Notre Dame in everything but football. Temple and Virginia Tech got screwed, although the Hokies did eventually get basketball membership, shortly before leaving.

You know the rest, with the ACC pulling off a raid in 2003, followed by the chaos of this year. So the reason the Big East is where it is, in my opinion, is because of bad decisions and half-baked compromises. Rutgers and Temple should have said yes in 1979. Penn State should have been admitted in 1982. The football schools should have taken the money from CBS and broken away in 1994.

You have several key errors in your thoughtful & thorough analysis.

1. Penn State left the old Eastern Eight with the intent of organizing an all sports league in June, 1979. So, yes, they began this effort "in the 1970's" but only in the last 6 months of the 1970's. The effort rightfully belongs in the early '80's

2. I've never heard that Temple was originally preferred over Villanova. That doesn't mean it's not true, but that's simply my response to your comment. Moreover, Jake Crouthamel doesn't mention it in his history of the Big East, which is available on line. That's significant because he does mention that an offer was originally made to Rutgers over Seton Hall but declined by Rutgers. Crouthamel indicates that Temple was considered but never indicates that they were originally targeted.

3. You make much ado about the failure of Penn State to be admitted to the conference. Why is this significant? It was a basketball conference which did not sponsor football. How would Penn State's membership have helped the development of an all sports conference? The significance of Penn State's application is that it was an admission that Paterno's dream of an all sports conference was dead & that he was at that time seeking the best alternative for his other sports.

4. The new president at Penn State was Bryce Jordan & he did not take over in the late 1980's. He began in 1983, a little over a year after Penn State was rejected by the Big East. He stated from day one that it was his intention to take Penn State to the Big Ten & he made that his mission throughout his presidency. Even if Penn State had been admitted to the Big East - then a fledgling conference in its early stages - there is no way that he would have been deterred from his goal by such an association that didn't include football & didn't include the research component (CIC) that accompanies Big Ten membership.

The significance of these dates is as follows:

A. Discussions about formation of the Big East among key Athletic Directors began in the spring of 1978, more than a year before Penn State left the Eastern 8. Paterno was a day late & a dollar short with his efforts. He had neither the vision nor the leadership skills of Gavitt. He was the wrong man for the job. by the time his efforts began, the Big East was already formed.

B. Don't forget that the Eastern 8 from its beginning in 1976 included Penn State, Pitt, West Virginia, Rutgers, UMass, & Villanova - all football schools at the time. Only GW & Duquesne from the originbal membership were not football schools. Paterno already had what he needed to start an all sports conference. All he needed was a football agreement. There was really no need to go to the Big East. At the time only 6 members were needed to form a conference. BC & Syracuse would eventually have had to come to him. He could also have targeted other independents of which there were plenty at the time. However, he had neither the vision nor the leadrship skills.

C. Big East membership was not what was needed to form an all sports conference. What was needed was an agreement among the football schools. And that is what has never been doable in the East. Penn State wanted special Texas-like treatment & once Jordan arrived on the scene, they simply wanted something else. Villanova decided they didn't want football & UMass decided they didn't want Division I-A. Syracuse, BC, & eventually Pitt decided that basketball was more important to them at the time. They were all going in different directions & they have been ever since.

I agree with your comments about 1994. Eastern Football had many opportunities like this to form an all sports conference without the Catholics over the past 30 years & they always rejected the idea. Their inability to commit to each other is precisely what has always been the core problem.
11-04-2011 08:40 PM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(11-04-2011 08:09 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Pure lack of vision and lack of leadership. The BE should have been proactive in bringing in inventory on the FB side at least 2 years ago..(and it could have been done with FB only schools) They sat back and allowed the BB side to dictate the conference. The schools that valued FB pushed for expansion to no avail and lead to them simply want to abandon the BE despite its BB heritage. The best the leadership could come up with was to offer an invite to Nova? What more needs to be said about the ineptitude of this bunch. The only reason anyone would want to be a part of this is for the money. It damn sure is not because of the leadership and vision of this mess called the BE. Hopefully they have learned from this failure and can move ahead and be more proactive in the future.

How can you make this claim that the football schools pushed for expansion & the BB schools prevented it?

1. The conference expanded with TCU a year ago.

2. The football schools agreed on the idea on expansion but could never agree on the reality of expansion, i.e. actual real candidates. There was never a consensus. The idea of Villanova came from the football schools as a last resort after their failure to agree on anyone else. So, expansion from 8 to 10 was in place.

3. The only targets that the football schools could ever agree on were ones that were completely unrealistic & unattainable, i.e. Notre Dame, Penn State, etc. They sent their commissioners in pursuit of such pie-in-the-sky candidates & then blamed the commissioner for not delivering.

4. If you think that expansion from 8 to 12 with a group of CUSA schools was going to keep Pitt & Syracuse from leaving for the ACC in the present climate, then I don't know what to tell you.
11-04-2011 08:47 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2011 08:05 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  The problem with the Big East goes back to before its formation. In the 1970s, Penn State wanted to get the Eastern Independents together in one conference, but also wanted unfair advantages and concessions in football, which killed the deal. Pitt was coming off the 1976 national championship and was every bit the equal of the Nittany Lions. So the idea went nowhere at that time.

Thanks for all the effort. Awesome post. Glad I asked. I think a lot of us just know the details and history of the BE. I cannot believe they turned down Penn State. That rates right up there with Coke refusing to pay $29,000 for a bankrupt Pepsi...
11-04-2011 08:52 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(11-04-2011 08:40 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  1. Penn State left the old Eastern Eight with the intent of organizing an all sports league in June, 1979. So, yes, they began this effort "in the 1970's" but only in the last 6 months of the 1970's. The effort rightfully belongs in the early '80's.

4. The new president at Penn State was Bryce Jordan & he did not take over in the late 1980's. He began in 1983, a little over a year after Penn State was rejected by the Big East. He stated from day one that it was his intention to take Penn State to the Big Ten & he made that his mission throughout his presidency. Even if Penn State had been admitted to the Big East - then a fledgling conference in its early stages - there is no way that he would have been deterred from his goal by such an association that didn't include football & didn't include the research component (CIC) that accompanies Big Ten membership.
Penn State's "command decision" to get into the Big Ten at all costs was only made AFTER Paterno's attempt to create a Northeastern-based all-sports conference failed, and only AFTER Penn State was rejected by the Big East.

I will always believe that if a Northeastern-based all-sports league had been formed in 1978/79 with Penn State at its center -- (in terms of geography, demography, and media-attention) -- then Penn State would have remained there and been very content. Obviously, we will never get the chance to play that scenario out, so no one will ever know for sure.
11-04-2011 08:52 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(11-04-2011 08:15 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(11-04-2011 07:44 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

I know all about the Big XII. I am asking what happened to the BE. I think at least the Big XII is working out their issues and will be fine now. Up until the WVU situation, the Big XII had nothing to do with the BE problems. If the BE didn't have issues then maybe the Big XII would still be sitting at eight schools without Misouri...

I was trying to make a point, which you seem to have missed.

All of this has taken place in a climate which has torn apart not one conference but two. And we can trace it back a decade and a half when it killed the Southwest Conference.

To put this at the feet of the Big East is to ignore everything else that has been going on.

Luck always plays a little bit of a role in anything that happens in life. A year & a half ago, every credible report had 5 schools leaving the Big XII & joining Colorado in the Pac-10. If that had happened, the Big East would have been absorbing Big XII members. But something went wrong at the 11th hour, the Big XII reorganized & we are left with current circumstances that have resulted from a chain of events, most recently triggered by the Big Ten's announcement of expansion 2 years ago.
11-04-2011 08:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.