Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Denver Post: BYU in has been in discussions with Big East
KnightTower Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Denver Post: BYU in has been in discussions with Big East
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 05:11 PM by KnightTower.)
11-04-2011 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: Denver Post: BYU in has been in discussions with Big East
This isn't a new revelation. I was listen to 700 am out of Provo and it's being talked about but one of the host is a former BYU player. He didn't believe BYU would join the BE and that those inside the program still desire the Big 12.
11-04-2011 05:42 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
I'm really hoping BYU hops on board.
11-04-2011 06:10 PM
laxtonto Offline
1st String

I Root For: LAX
Knew this was coming... Boise and BYU back together again..

I wonder if they can get a TV deal figured out. That and Sundays where the major issue with the Big 12
11-04-2011 06:12 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(11-04-2011 06:12 PM)laxtonto Wrote:  Knew this was coming... Boise and BYU back together again..

I wonder if they can get a TV deal figured out. That and Sundays where the major issue with the Big 12

Together? Again? Boise and BYU?
11-04-2011 06:22 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
It'd be football only so TV issues not as big as you would think... That's a start of a great west division with Boise and BYU along with Houston and SMU. With then the east start being Rutgers, UConn, South Florida, UCF. The wild cards are the other 4 teams. You have Louisville and Cincy which could go either way. If Air Force is in, they're in the west. I almost wonder if Air Force comes and Navy doesn't want to right now/can't get out until 2015- if you see the west pick up 1 more western team like a San Diego St. Then in 2015- Navy and a Memphis(if they have improved) come aboard.
11-04-2011 06:28 PM
Advertisement

Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
If the leadership at BYU truly desires the Big 12, they should have joined a few weeks ago, and saved everyone a whole bunch of drama. A football-only membership in the Big East gives BYU everything they can possibly want. It is the only remaining road to the BCS, partnerships with Boise State and Air Force, a game in Texas every year, and a couple of East Coast contests that accentuate their desire for a national schedule. Match made in heaven.

As mentioned above, college football is not played on Sundays, so that is not an issue as far as BYU joining the Big East in just that one sport. This move would also cement Air Force being able to place their basketball and other sports in the WCC. That league fears BYU might leave otherwise and is hesitant right now. Also, if Navy can't join until 2015, the same probably goes for BYU. Both have a bunch of independent games lined up. No big deal.
11-04-2011 06:35 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
2013 BYU looks like they only have 9 games scheduled...
Home: Texas, Ga Tech, Boise, Utah
Road: Hawaii, Utah St, Houston, Notre Dame, Washington St

With Boise and Houston on the schedule already- add the other 6 conference games and you're up to 15. With playing at Hawaii- they would need to get rid of 2 games. Now I'm not sure about the Utah game(their series was only for 11/12). So that'd be left with 1 game to get out of(move later). I'd guess maybe Washington St..
11-04-2011 06:42 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
BYU wants the Big 12, but BYU was actually #4 on the Big 12's wish list (WVU, Louisville, Cincy, BYU) of candidates.

They should come to the Big East, where they're wanted.
11-04-2011 08:40 PM
New York Bull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
know they wouldn't want to but bYU could prob delay ND game with no penalty, as ND could work to make BE viable
11-04-2011 09:20 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Man, this West line up is football strong... I like it.

West: BYU, Boise State, Houston, SMU, Air Force, Cincy/Louisville.
11-04-2011 09:40 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
BYU and Boise would make the BE a big time conference again! (but they might want to consider a conference name change!.
11-04-2011 09:43 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(11-04-2011 09:40 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Man, this West line up is football strong... I like it.

West: BYU, Boise State, Houston, SMU, Air Force, Cincy/Louisville.

I wonder if they wouldn't consider one of the Florida schools for the West rather than disrupt the long standing rivalry between Louisville & Cincinnati.

Florida's farther west than most people realize & it's a shorter flight across the gulf from Tampa to Houston than it is from Louisville.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 09:54 PM by Melky Cabrera.)
11-04-2011 09:49 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Navy to the West, or whatever it will be called, alongside their rival Air Force. They are used to traveling and prefer to play more of a national schedule anyway.

BIG EAST ATLANTIC
UConn & Rutgers
Cincy & Louisville
USF & UCF

BIG EAST PACIFIC
Houston & SMU
Navy & Air Force
BYU & Boise State

Schedules can be set up so in a season where a Pacific Division team travels to Navy, they only travel to one other Atlantic Division team and host two others.
11-04-2011 10:35 PM
pcdebol Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: OkSt
Why would BYU take a pay cut to play in the BE? Right Now they are pulling in around 10 million a year with their ESPN contract and the BYU network. The BE pays around 3.7 million to football only members.

They can wait it out the Big 12 or Pac will eventually call them. The only thing the BE does is make it more expensive for them to accept when the call comes. They are a valuable commodity and won't be left out when the chips fall into place over the next 3 or 4 years.
11-04-2011 10:50 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(11-04-2011 10:35 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Navy to the West, or whatever it will be called, alongside their rival Air Force. They are used to traveling and prefer to play more of a national schedule anyway.

BIG EAST ATLANTIC
UConn & Rutgers
Cincy & Louisville
USF & UCF

BIG EAST PACIFIC
Houston & SMU
Navy & Air Force
BYU & Boise State

Schedules can be set up so in a season where a Pacific Division team travels to Navy, they only travel to one other Atlantic Division team and host two others.

I'd still do protected rivalries. I'd protect Rutgers and Navy as cross-division rivals in that scenario. Its the lone historical series the conference would have. The schools have played each other nearly every year since 1995 and the series extends back to the 1891 season. Navy would then have Air Force, SMU and Rutgers annually all of which are games it cares about.
11-04-2011 11:03 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(11-04-2011 10:35 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Navy to the West, or whatever it will be called, alongside their rival Air Force. They are used to traveling and prefer to play more of a national schedule anyway.

BIG EAST ATLANTIC
UConn & Rutgers
Cincy & Louisville
USF & UCF

BIG EAST PACIFIC
Houston & SMU
Navy & Air Force
BYU & Boise State

If Navy joins this will be the perfect world for both West & East. And even better than what I previously stated. 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 11:09 PM by BigHouston.)
11-04-2011 11:07 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(11-04-2011 10:50 PM)pcdebol Wrote:  Why would BYU take a pay cut to play in the BE? Right Now they are pulling in around 10 million a year with their ESPN contract and the BYU network. The BE pays around 3.7 million to football only members.

They can wait it out the Big 12 or Pac will eventually call them. The only thing the BE does is make it more expensive for them to accept when the call comes. They are a valuable commodity and won't be left out when the chips fall into place over the next 3 or 4 years.

Because we're due even with the defections for a contract of around 15 to 17 million per year per football school. They're only making 8 million per year on their ESPN deal.
11-04-2011 11:07 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(11-04-2011 06:22 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(11-04-2011 06:12 PM)laxtonto Wrote:  Knew this was coming... Boise and BYU back together again..

Together? Again? Boise and BYU?

11-04-2011 11:18 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(11-04-2011 11:07 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(11-04-2011 10:50 PM)pcdebol Wrote:  Why would BYU take a pay cut to play in the BE? Right Now they are pulling in around 10 million a year with their ESPN contract and the BYU network. The BE pays around 3.7 million to football only members.

Because we're due even with the defections for a contract of around 15 to 17 million per year per football school. They're only making 8 million per year on their ESPN deal.

We're didn't keep Cuse, WVU, and Pitt from bolting with UL and UC waiting in the wings to jump. I really don't understand why some think the BE is about to receive some ludacrous TV deal. The conference will get more money no doubt but probably closer to 11-13 per year per team if that much.
11-04-2011 11:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.