Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How does a travel partner help
first state Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: blue hens
How does a travel partner help
Everyone keeps saying Houston needs SMU and Boise needs Airforce. What does a travel partner do, make you feel better that they are spending a ton of money to travel across the country too.
11-04-2011 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TimbotheKnight Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF
RE: How does a travel partner help
(11-04-2011 10:44 AM)first state Wrote:  Everyone keeps saying Houston needs SMU and Boise needs Airforce. What does a travel partner do, make you feel better that they are spending a ton of money to travel across the country too.

Boise and AFA don't need a travel partner because they will be football only. The travel partner is good so exp. Villavona Basketball plays Houston, its good to be able to Bus to SMU then fly back from Dallas. It does cut down some of the expenses for the non-football sports. Another example: Rutgers to Florida can now fly in to Orlando and play UCF and Bus to USF in Tampa and Fly home from there.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 10:51 AM by TimbotheKnight.)
11-04-2011 10:50 AM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
(11-04-2011 10:44 AM)first state Wrote:  Everyone keeps saying Houston needs SMU and Boise needs Airforce. What does a travel partner do, make you feel better that they are spending a ton of money to travel across the country too.

I think it is more about having a geographically relevant rival, similar to the PAC model.
11-04-2011 11:21 AM
Advertisement

BaylorGuy314 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Baylor
I think it's overrated, but there are strengths to it.
11-04-2011 11:31 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
First, you aren't by yourself and would have someone to talk to while on a long journey. That's a pretty big deal IMO.
11-04-2011 11:35 AM
Advertisement

War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
Not sure.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 11:44 AM by War Torn Ruston.)
11-04-2011 11:43 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
For football only it doesnt matter except to have a rival whose fans can travel to your stadium. For all sports, it can significantly reduce travel (across the board). A basketball program from the Northeast can have a Friday/Monday lineup of flying to Houston to play Friday, driving to Dallas to play Monday and then flying back. Two road games, one trip. It is utlized much more in the non revenue sports. For this reason I dont advocate a Florida school back in CUSA, because every trip is on its own. I do advocate adding Old Dominion to CUSA in non revenue sports, because they are the perfect travel partner for ECU.
11-04-2011 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Travel partner for all sports is a very antiquated notion and it is completely irrelevant in football. And yet, for some reason, people continue to bring it up like it's somehow a real thing.
11-04-2011 01:07 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
For football- it's not a big deal at all...

For other sports- it's convienence. Go play USF on Thursday, then play UCF on Saturday. Really cuts down on the travel. This is huge not necessarily basketball, but rather the olympic sports.
11-04-2011 01:10 PM
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(11-04-2011 01:07 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Travel partner for all sports is a very antiquated notion and it is completely irrelevant in football. And yet, for some reason, people continue to bring it up like it's somehow a real thing.

As mentioned in this thread in football its irrelevant, but in all sports it saves costs and travel ware and tear on a team. Its cheaper and easier physically on a soccer team to fly to orlando on friday and play ucf, bus to USF on saturday and play USF sunday.
11-04-2011 01:54 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Travel partners are not antiquated. They are simply not relevant to football. But they are very important for basketball and many minor sports, depending on how spread out a conference is, and the Pac-10/12 has successfully utilized the concept forever. Look at a sport like volleyball for example. Oregon and OSU both fly to San Francisco on Friday. Oregon plays Cal that night, while OSU plays Stanford. The next day, they switch opponents, and then return home at night. It is a scheduling device.

The football equivalent of this would be in a year where Louisville hosts USF, they travel to UCF. On the flipside, Cincinnati would travel to USF that year, and host UCF that year. That pattern will be repeated with every pairing in the league once the new teams have been set up. Once again, they are not travel partners as far as football is concerned, but just a scheduling mechanism. As shown by my Pac-10/12 example above, though, travel partners are a very efficient tool for many other sports.
11-04-2011 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.