Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East Conference Brilliant Move
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.Cincinnati
Big East Conference Brilliant Move
What a Brilliant move the Big East has made with the new expansion plan. If they replace W.Virginia with BYU it will be even better. If BYU doesn't join they still have some great options. I would love to negotiate the new Big East conference TV contract for them with this line up of schools. Let's just hope they can pull it all together soon, but you have to give them credit for coming up with an excellent plan to make the Big East a major player in the future. Go Big East, Mr.P.3242
11-02-2011 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Big East Conference Brilliant Move
If and a big if, they get BYU then yes, a good TV contract is coming. Without BYU and damn sure without Boise if that is the case, yes big markets, but little players in those big markets, hope you can sell a yugo for the price of a BMW if you want to negotiate that great deal LOL
11-02-2011 09:38 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
The Big East is going to end up with a big contract with or without BYU. That is why so many of the no-AQ's are scratching and clawing trying to get into that league.
11-02-2011 10:08 AM
MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers!!!!!
Congrats to all the teams that will get a step up... Looks like a good conference, I will miss Houston,,
I like UCF, and SMU is quality. They were the Best picks from CUSA... Congrats to the Big East
for staying alive..
11-02-2011 10:15 AM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
[Image: guinness-brilliant.jpg]
11-02-2011 10:16 AM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
I know Pitino's said he favors Temple first, then Memphis, but I wonder if Jurich & Ramsey are going to bat for Memphis?

If BYU is willing, I agree they're our first choice. But if they're not, Memphis is best for Louisville, especially if the divisions are east/west.
11-02-2011 10:19 AM
Advertisement

TommyC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boston College
I think the Big East made some nice additions in terms of retaining the AQ label. Apparently the BCS AQ tag is all the Big East was concerned with here because in every other way this is a crazy expansion plan.

To the casual college football fan this is completely off the wall. Most of the posters on this board are die hard college football fans and understand why the Big East is doing what they are doing. To the average college football fan, though, this is crazy. Boise State and Rutgers in the same conference? Air Force and Cincinnati? Navy and Houston? Marquette and South Florida? Seton Hall and SMU? Absolutely nuts.

The Big East originally had the identity of the preeminent national basketball conference with a significant northeast/urban flavor. Then the Big East morphed into a football collection of the old Lambert Trophy teams again with a solid eastern identity. Now, what is the Big East's identity? I would say that the Big East has no identity other than a mish mash of completely different universities from Milwaukee to Orlando and Providence to Boise. The Big East has military academies in Colorado and Flagship state universities from Connecticut. They have Catholic universities in Queens and Methodist universities in Dallas. It is simply a money grab and a stepping stone. It is incoherent and confused.

On my way to work this morning I was listening to the local sports talk radio station. They are not huge college football people but at least one of the hosts of the show has a Heisman Trophy ballot and another one does play by play on the weekends for the local FBS college team. They were laughing at the disorganization and randomness of the Big East. They thought it was funny that there will now be a division called the "Big East West". My brother is a casual college football fan. He does not follow this stuff as closely as I do. Last night I was explaining this Big East expansion stuff to him and he just gave me a strange look and changed the subject.

This move does nothing to improve the stability of the Big East. The hybrid model remains in full effect and if anything it has been made more confusing. Any one of its 9/9/3 or 8/6/6 or 12/20 or whatever the model is would still leave at the drop of a hat if given a better opportunity.

Yes, The Big East will probably keep its BCS AQ status as a result of these moves. I hope they make the best of it because in order to keep their AQ status they have foresaken their identity and their sanity.
11-02-2011 12:20 PM
nastar36 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-02-2011 12:20 PM)TommyC Wrote:  I think the Big East made some nice additions in terms of retaining the AQ label. Apparently the BCS AQ tag is all the Big East was concerned with here because in every other way this is a crazy expansion plan.

To the casual college football fan this is completely off the wall. Most of the posters on this board are die hard college football fans and understand why the Big East is doing what they are doing. To the average college football fan, though, this is crazy. Boise State and Rutgers in the same conference? Air Force and Cincinnati? Navy and Houston? Marquette and South Florida? Seton Hall and SMU? Absolutely nuts.

The Big East originally had the identity of the preeminent national basketball conference with a significant northeast/urban flavor. Then the Big East morphed into a football collection of the old Lambert Trophy teams again with a solid eastern identity. Now, what is the Big East's identity? I would say that the Big East has no identity other than a mish mash of completely different universities from Milwaukee to Orlando and Providence to Boise. The Big East has military academies in Colorado and Flagship state universities from Connecticut. They have Catholic universities in Queens and Methodist universities in Dallas. It is simply a money grab and a stepping stone. It is incoherent and confused.

On my way to work this morning I was listening to the local sports talk radio station. They are not huge college football people but at least one of the hosts of the show has a Heisman Trophy ballot and another one does play by play on the weekends for the local FBS college team. They were laughing at the disorganization and randomness of the Big East. They thought it was funny that there will now be a division called the "Big East West". My brother is a casual college football fan. He does not follow this stuff as closely as I do. Last night I was explaining this Big East expansion stuff to him and he just gave me a strange look and changed the subject.

This move does nothing to improve the stability of the Big East. The hybrid model remains in full effect and if anything it has been made more confusing. Any one of its 9/9/3 or 8/6/6 or 12/20 or whatever the model is would still leave at the drop of a hat if given a better opportunity.

Yes, The Big East will probably keep its BCS AQ status as a result of these moves. I hope they make the best of it because in order to keep their AQ status they have foresaken their identity and their sanity.

This ^^^^^
11-02-2011 01:27 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(11-02-2011 01:27 PM)nastar36 Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 12:20 PM)TommyC Wrote:  I think the Big East made some nice additions in terms of retaining the AQ label. Apparently the BCS AQ tag is all the Big East was concerned with here because in every other way this is a crazy expansion plan.

This ^^^^^

You said this so perfectly! This is a Big Mess! I would, given this situation, take a nice eastern/southern conference that isn't AQ over what we're headed into now. I just want 12 teams unified playing college sports.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 06:52 PM by army56mike.)
11-02-2011 06:52 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC

So UConn and Rutgers should have invited Buffalo, Marshall, and then waited patiently for Villanova? No thanks.

I'm excited about the new schools. And I believe we all have something in common - we have quality programs with lots of potential, and we'd all be on the outside looking in if it wasn't for the new Big East.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 07:18 PM by UConn-SMU.)
11-02-2011 07:17 PM
Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
(11-02-2011 12:20 PM)TommyC Wrote:  Stuff
Well, the alternative would have been the end of the BE as a conference in the football sense and an A-10 plus in the BB sense. So.. this mismash, or death. Which would you expect anyone to take?

You can thank nothing more than the BCS system for this. Product of the system. It would be nice to say regional, but the current system does everything possible to not accommodate and to hold down new schools trying to forge a history for themselves and share in the college football experience. Even schools with some history get stepped on for no good reason other than selfishness and greed.

And yeah, at least for the new schools coming in, it does look good from the start that all are working together to be announced together. Good first step in showing some unity.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 07:31 PM by Wooglin157.)
11-02-2011 07:28 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(11-02-2011 10:08 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  The Big East is going to end up with a big contract with or without BYU. That is why so many of the no-AQ's are scratching and clawing trying to get into that league.

And here most of us thought it was because of the AQ status thingy.....
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 08:59 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
11-02-2011 07:52 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(11-02-2011 07:52 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 10:08 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  The Big East is going to end up with a big contract with or without BYU. That is why so many of the no-AQ's are scratching and clawing trying to get into that league.

And here most of us thought it was because of the AQ status thingy.....

Well money that is better than non-AQ and AQ status are linked...
11-02-2011 08:01 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(11-02-2011 07:17 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  So UConn and Rutgers should have invited Buffalo, Marshall, and then waited patiently for Villanova? No thanks.

A little extreme aren't you??? The BE could have invited UCF, ECU, and Temple last year and not be dealing with this mess, maintained AQ status, and made geographical sense. It also would have absorbed the losses of programs to realignment and made the BE more "raid" proof.

I still believe the BE is going to lose UL and possibly UC sooner than later. And I still believe BYU will end up in the Big 12. The BE may have saved their azz for right now, but this is still nothing more than a temporary fix to a major problem.

We'll see how it all shakes out in a few years.
11-02-2011 08:06 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Please tell me they are going to change the name of the conference...or at least make it the BE/BW or something. I dont think the BE thing is gonna work after this.
11-02-2011 08:17 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(11-02-2011 08:17 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Please tell me they are going to change the name of the conference...or at least make it the BE/BW or something. I dont think the BE thing is gonna work after this.

I don't think the non-football schools would like that.
11-02-2011 08:20 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2011 10:16 AM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  [Image: guinness-brilliant.jpg]

Maybe you all can share the love and let WVU go, so we can go too...04-cheers02-13-banana04-rock
11-02-2011 08:28 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2011 08:20 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 08:17 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Please tell me they are going to change the name of the conference...or at least make it the BE/BW or something. I dont think the BE thing is gonna work after this.

Texas, Idaho, Colorado, and who knows where, won't be happy with a Manhattan twist either. Wont be a problem right now but it will be for them soon after all the hugs and kisses stop.
11-02-2011 08:33 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2011 08:33 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 08:20 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  

Texas, Idaho, Colorado, and who knows where, won't be happy with a Manhattan twist either. Wont be a problem right now but it will be for them soon after all the hugs and kisses stop.

How about the "BIG (enter number here)". That would work...and they would really sound BIG... Maybe the Big XII will trade you their Big 14 trademark for WVU....:)04-rock04-rock04-rock04-rock04-rock
11-02-2011 08:37 PM
OmarLittle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Temple
(11-02-2011 07:17 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  So UConn and Rutgers should have invited Buffalo, Marshall, and then waited patiently for Villanova? No thanks.

I'm excited about the new schools. And I believe we all have something in common - we have quality programs with lots of potential, and we'd all be on the outside looking in if it wasn't for the new Big East.
What the Big East all has in common? That they're all waiting for an invite to a bigger conference, and will bail at the drop of a hat.

No real football history, don't own any portion of the country, no real long time rivalries anymore, not too many bowl tie ins, still going to make less money then the other BCS conferences. What should they have done? It's really hard to say, the hybrid conference & the need for BCS points to keep their AQ bid basically forced it to be this way.

Although honestly I think they should have skipped out on SMU & Air Force and tried to keep it aimed more East Coast with ECU, Memphis, Temple etc.
11-02-2011 10:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.