Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UCONN on the rise academically
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

<a href='http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050610/NEWS01/506100302/1002' target='_blank'>UCONN is getting more selective</a>

Huge state investment in 2000 has helped. Both minority enrollment and SAT scores are way up. Good sign UCONN is on the way to be one of the top public universities in the country. State's additional investment of $1.3B should help also. It is time for state of NJ to step it up and help RU.
06-10-2005 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

SF Husky Wrote:It is time for state of NJ to step it up and help RU.
Couldn't agree more with those sentiments. From what I understand President McCormick often points to the examples of Connecticut and UConn of what NJ should be doing for Rutgers. Fortunately we do have other private and public sources helping us at the moment but what we really want is state aid to get Rutgers top notch facilities and such.
06-10-2005 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

Good to hear--this actually helps out the whole league...Hopefully SU, Pitt, Rutgers and UConn can all get into the top 50.
06-10-2005 09:23 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:TexanMark Posted on Jun 10 2005, 09:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good to hear--this actually helps out the whole league...Hopefully SU, Pitt, Rutgers and UConn can all get into the top 50.&nbsp;

Agreed. And within 5 years I predict Cincinnati will make the jump from Tier 3 to Tier 1/2.

Cheers,
Neil
06-10-2005 10:22 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I think Tier 2 is very possible and likely for UC. The public institutions in the Big East including Rutgers, Pitt, and UCONN are useful metaphors for UC. It's great for UC to be in the company of the outstanding public and private schools in the Big East.
06-10-2005 10:34 PM
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

Is Pitt a public or private university?
06-10-2005 10:39 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:WacoBearcat Posted on Jun 10 2005, 10:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think Tier 2 is very possible and likely for UC. The public institutions in the Big East including Rutgers, Pitt, and UCONN are useful metaphors for UC. It's great for UC to be in the company of the outstanding public and private schools in the Big East.

Point of information Tier 2 is now combined with Tier 1, this is why my post had it as Tier 1/2.

Quote: Is Pitt a public or private university?

Public.

Cheers,
Neil
06-10-2005 10:42 PM
MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators

public
06-10-2005 10:43 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

Thanks Neil.

I forgot about the 1/2 designation now in US News and World Report.
06-10-2005 10:53 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

WacoBearcat Wrote:Thanks Neil.

In fact Cincinnati would most want to emulate Pitt since both are Northern Public Urban Universities that do alot of R&D.
06-11-2005 01:01 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

SF Husky Wrote:<a href='http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050610/NEWS01/506100302/1002' target='_blank'>UCONN is getting more selective</a>

Huge state investment in 2000 has helped. Both minority enrollment and SAT scores are way up. Good sign UCONN is on the way to be one of the top public universities in the country. State's additional investment of $1.3B should help also. It is time for state of NJ to step it up and help RU.
Congrats to UCONN...looks like their Freshmen profile has reached the same level of UCF's Freshmen as well. (UCF can't touch UCONN's Research or Academic History...since UCF only started classes 37 years ago and has a different focus).

Here's a breakdown of UCF's Freshmen Profile for 2004, plus most popular States of incoming students and popular majors:

<a href='http://www.admissions.sdes.ucf.edu/about.asp?FirstSub=freshprof' target='_blank'>http://www.admissions.sdes.ucf.edu/about.a...stSub=freshprof</a>

2004 UCF Fall Freshman Class Profile
Total Enrollment: 43,000+
FTIC Applications: 22,000
FTIC Admits: 9,010
FTIC Enrolled: 4,075
Average SAT: 1186
Average ACT: 26
Average H.S. GPA: 3.8
National Merit Scholars: 31

Top 10 States
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Illinois
4. Massachusetts
5. Michigan
6. New Jersey
7. New York
8. Ohio
9. Pennsylvania
10. Virginia

Top 10 Majors
1. Business
2. Biology
3. Engineering
4. Computer Science
5. Psychology
6. Nursing
7. Forensic Science
8. Elementary Education
9. Political Science
10. Art
06-11-2005 08:52 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

brista21 Wrote:
WacoBearcat Wrote:Thanks Neil.

In fact Cincinnati would most want to emulate Pitt since both are Northern Public Urban Universities that do alot of R&D.
Ironically that's who our University is emulating both academically and athletically as far as football is concerned. Not a bad university to model! 04-cheers
06-11-2005 09:46 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

KnightLight Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:<a href='http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050610/NEWS01/506100302/1002' target='_blank'>UCONN is getting more selective</a>

Huge state investment in 2000 has helped.&nbsp; Both minority enrollment and SAT scores are way up.&nbsp; Good sign UCONN is on the way to be one of the top public universities in the country.&nbsp; State's additional investment of $1.3B should help also.&nbsp; It is time for state of NJ to step it up and help RU.
Congrats to UCONN...looks like their Freshmen profile has reached the same level of UCF's Freshmen as well. (UCF can't touch UCONN's Research or Academic History...since UCF only started classes 37 years ago and has a different focus).

Here's a breakdown of UCF's Freshmen Profile for 2004, plus most popular States of incoming students and popular majors:

<a href='http://www.admissions.sdes.ucf.edu/about.asp?FirstSub=freshprof' target='_blank'>http://www.admissions.sdes.ucf.edu/about.a...stSub=freshprof</a>

Top 10 States
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Illinois
4. Massachusetts
5. Michigan
6. New Jersey
7. New York
8. Ohio
9. Pennsylvania
10. Virginia

Top 10 Majors
1. Business
2. Biology
3. Engineering
4. Computer Science
5. Psychology
6. Nursing
7. Forensic Science
8. Elementary Education
9. Political Science
10. Art
Good job on getting some good students. Now UCF has to step it up and fund the sports. The big difference between UCONN and those Fla schools is the fact UCONN gets a ton of support from the state. CT is small, but it is the richest state in the country. I think UCF improves in bball and fb, it will be in a strong position to get an invite if BE decides to expand again.
06-12-2005 05:27 PM
Advertisement

Orlaco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Quote:UCF has to step it up and fund the sports. The big difference between UCONN and those Fla schools is the fact UCONN gets a ton of support from the state. CT is small, but it is the richest state in the country

Yet another thread that you brag about UCONN and their ability to spend money. Again, congrats.

You're not incorrect though. You just are missing some small pieces of the puzzle. The extreme northeast is a horrible place to recruit football players. UCONN and the state have next to zero respect from high school players.....and even with all the money in the world that will change little. BC is now gone to the south so hopefully that will help, but more than likely it will cost you players that actually want to compete against a big boy near their hometown.
-----------------

I seem to have learned to dislike UCONN fans. Honestly not sure why, with the exception that they all seem to be somewhat cocky without reason.

UCONN IMO should remember, at least orginally, that the BE was a gift to them(along with Temple sucking) and they offer little to football regardless of their excellant past seasons class.

The BE makes UCONN and not the other way around.
06-12-2005 05:49 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Orlaco Wrote:
Quote:UCF has to step it up and fund the sports. The big difference between UCONN and those Fla schools is the fact UCONN gets a ton of support from the state. CT is small, but it is the richest state in the country

Yet another thread that you brag about UCONN and their ability to spend money. Again, congrats.

You're not incorrect though. You just are missing some small pieces of the puzzle. The extreme northeast is a horrible place to recruit football players. UCONN and the state have next to zero respect from high school players.....and even with all the money in the world that will change little. BC is now gone to the south so hopefully that will help, but more than likely it will cost you players that actually want to compete against a big boy near their hometown.
-----------------

I seem to have learned to dislike UCONN fans. Honestly not sure why, with the exception that they all seem to be somewhat cocky without reason.

UCONN IMO should remember, at least orginally, that the BE was a gift to them(along with Temple sucking) and they offer little to football regardless of their excellant past seasons class.

If you are pissed because UCONN has been successful, too bad for you. A good UCONN team is great for the BE. BTW, UCONN help built this conference name whether you admit it or not. Although UCONN is new to FB, you cant sit there and tell me UCONN's success has not been good for the BE.

BTW, what school do you support and why are you so bitter? Did mommy kiss you today?
06-12-2005 07:15 PM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

KnightLight Wrote:

Huge state investment in 2000 has helped.&nbsp; Both minority enrollment and SAT scores are way up.&nbsp; Good sign UCONN is on the way to be one of the top public universities in the country.&nbsp; State's additional investment of $1.3B should help also.&nbsp; It is time for state of NJ to step it up and help RU.

Top 10 States
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Illinois
4. Massachusetts
5. Michigan
6. New Jersey
7. New York
8. Ohio
9. Pennsylvania
10. Virginia

Top 10 Majors
1. Business
2. Biology
3. Engineering
4. Computer Science
5. Psychology
6. Nursing
7. Forensic Science
8. Elementary Education
9. Political Science
10. Art
Great site
<a href='http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/compare_schools.jsp' target='_blank'>College Search </a>?
06-12-2005 07:24 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

[quote="Orlaco"]
Quote:I seem to have learned to dislike UCONN fans. Honestly not sure why, with the exception that they all seem to be somewhat cocky without reason.

Thanks for setting us straight. We'll all be sure to toe the line now. :rolleyes:
06-12-2005 08:31 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

SF Husky Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:

Huge state investment in 2000 has helped.  Both minority enrollment and SAT scores are way up.  Good sign UCONN is on the way to be one of the top public universities in the country.  State's additional investment of $1.3B should help also.  It is time for state of NJ to step it up and help RU.

Top 10 States
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Illinois
4. Massachusetts
5. Michigan
6. New Jersey
7. New York
8. Ohio
9. Pennsylvania
10. Virginia

Top 10 Majors
1. Business
2. Biology
3. Engineering
4. Computer Science
5. Psychology
6. Nursing
7. Forensic Science
8. Elementary Education
9. Political Science
10. Art
Good job on getting some good students. Now UCF has to step it up and fund the sports. The big difference between UCONN and those Fla schools is the fact UCONN gets a ton of support from the state. CT is small, but it is the richest state in the country. I think UCF improves in bball and fb, it will be in a strong position to get an invite if BE decides to expand again.
No doubt....but soooooo many people think that since UCF is one of the youngest institutions in the Nation, that we aren't strong academically.

That's why our President Hitt has done such an incredible job....Not only have we jumped from 20,000 to 44,000 students over the past 15 years, but academically, we are much stronger today.

In FLA's State System, UCF was set up and funded (or lack of) to be mostly a Undergrad/Graduate and Metro Research School.

Other older State Schools like UF, FSU, even USF...with their either/or/both Medical & Law Schools, will always get the lion's share of $$$$.

But everyone affiliated with UCF is just amazed on the number of quality applicants that we are able to get, which is many times way above what older/more historic insitutions can get today.

KL

PS. Athletic Funding is finally catching up. Our Football Stadium and Convocation Center Arena will cost a combined $130-$145 Million. Just the Arena/Convocation Center Dorm/Retail Complex will cost over $200 Million.
06-13-2005 06:45 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.