Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Three late great pickups for Hawk
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Three late great pickups for Hawk
Lets see, we lose Flint and Detroit area kids to UDM via transfer. Our last three recruits were from Chicagoland area High Schools. Is this a concious effort to switch our recruiting efforts away from SE Michigan to the Chitown area?????? Where Farmer and one other asistant have strong recruiting ties and Coach Farmer has a daughter attending High School in Chicago???? You could also look at the fact that we haven't had a Detroit city kid for awhile, aside from Howard Jr. Or, is this just a blip on the radar of chance and in no way an indication of our future recruiting priorites..Opinions please!!!!!!!!!
11-01-2011 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

RE: Three late great pickups for Hawk
I suspect much of this change is because Cornell Mann is now an assistant at Iowa State.
11-01-2011 12:47 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Detroit, specifically the PSL, isn't the hotbed it was even a few years ago. Even inner city Detroit people are moving to the burbs. Then you have schools like DCD and OLSM scholarshiping inner city kids. Many of the PSL schools that were there even a few years back are shut down and have been replaced by charters or are just out of business do to enrollment decline. Sure, there are a few like Pershing and Finney, but several others are now gone. Robert Bobb had plans to shut down half of the Detroit high schools in 2011. He contracted mouth cancer and retired, so I'm not sure how that came out.

In general I think Chicago is a better recruiting base for us, and that logistically speaking, we have a lot to offer.
11-01-2011 03:18 PM
Advertisement

jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
Also, Mann was a Detroit recruiter and Farmer is a Chicago recruiter
11-01-2011 04:00 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-01-2011 04:00 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  Also, Mann was a Detroit recruiter and Farmer is a Chicago recruiter

Credit needs to go to Rick Carter too. He was promeniately mentioned by Avery's coach, we know he was involved with Hoerdemann among others.

RC is somebody Hawk will want to keep around.
11-01-2011 04:53 PM
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
WMU is a great geographical position to recruit the region.

You all know I have lobbied for more Illinois. Bloomington and Hoerdmann was a bit of a stretch (geograhically) but now that you have set that "marker" you can move in through the likes of Kankakee, Joliet as you come NE. Brown up near Rockford is good because outside of NIU, there really isnt a mid major in the "area". Closest is N. Iowa as I would call Bradley a MM+. From there you come SE down through Elgin, the NW and Northern Burbs (Harris and Paul) and you have the area covered.

I would never abandon Detroit or the east side. Never. It will be tough sledding. Being from NJ but growing up outside Chicago coming to WMU I picked up on the west vs east side vibe quickly. I didnt "get it" while I was there but now understand it well.

That said, I work that area, get them kids, take care of them and things will take care of themself.

This season without the 3 Detroit seniors would be unthinkable. I understand the Ray Ray stuff. In short order he will run out of time too. He isnt native, when his son goes and it proves out UDM is a middle of the road program he'll skidattle as he had to high tail out of Houston.

From a WMU perspective you don't want EMU getting back on it's feet. Their coach is from Detroit and has brought in some transfers but nothing has taken root yet. They are working hard on it but still a year or two away. Hawk needs to keep going eastside and Detroit and let Ray Ray and EMU fight over the head cases.

With Kowalcyk at Toledo he will do ok there and they have a nice venue with a solid following but he's about as much "Toledo" as Ray Ray is Detroit. Hawk needs to continue to make hay and keep them at bay. Anyway, Kowalcyk loves to recruit Chicago. Has a dynamo PG out of the S burbs who will play quick like Payne of few years ago. Also got verballed by Darius Paul's body guard, Stainbrook II. Won't be as good but my point is Toledo will continue to go to Chicago. Hawk just planted a flag there and needs to keep going to that well. Don't turn your back on Detroit and don't sweat Wm. and Mary or Lehigh or Bucknell getting a kid every other year out of the westside.

Indiana or at least the northern 1/4 to 1/3 should also be cultivated.

You really don't need anymore than that.

Oh yeah, Hawk needs to coach em up.
11-01-2011 05:13 PM
texasbronco1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
So GB, basically if it appears on the NOAA weather radar for Kalamazoo, then we should keep recruiting it, right?
NOAA Grand Rapids
11-01-2011 06:04 PM
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-01-2011 06:04 PM)texasbronco1 Wrote:  So GB, basically if it appears on the NOAA weather radar for Kalamazoo, then we should keep recruiting it, right?
NOAA Grand Rapids

Little or no Wisconsin, a little less Ohio and a little more Illinois.
11-01-2011 10:40 PM
Broncoboogie Offline
1st String

Good to hear from you Broncojohnny, see you tonight vs K???
11-02-2011 06:35 AM
Advertisement

broncojohnny Offline
1st String

Oh ya, I'll be there. If for no other reason than to see our team again.
11-02-2011 11:22 AM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Quote:Little or no Wisconsin, a little less Ohio and a little more Illinois.

WI gave us Tony Baumgartner and Jerry Streeter :domokun:
11-02-2011 04:06 PM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

WI ties??? Possibly Hoyt Mahaleyand Dedrick Elder as well???
11-02-2011 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.