Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA approves $2K for scholorship atheletes
kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
NCAA approves $2K for scholorship atheletes
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...es-changes

So does this help or hurt? What say you?

I think this will hurt the mid-majors because we are dealing with much smaller athletic budgets and can't really afford this. IF we can come right out of the box and gaurantee this money to our players we may be able to get a jump on recruits still trying to decide to go here or somewhere else. Realistically $2K (presumably per year) isn't much but to a student who doesn't have any money its good beer, pizza and date money.
10-28-2011 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
RE: NCAA approves $2K for scholorship atheletes
This is a bad idea. Just another way for the BCS schools and conferences to make "the cost of staying" in their little club higher, even though conferences like the MAC aren't really in the club. The club, of course, is the FBS football division, pretty much run by the BCS (in reality, ESPN). The BCS power conferences pretend to distribute $$ to the non AQ conferences, giving them nickels and dimes while they lounge in a hot tub full of gold bullion.

These moves are to remind schools like Boise State that while you may beat us on the field, you can never hope to match us dollar for dollar. We're reminding you that you don't belong in our club and we make the rules.

The resources needed for this will cause serious problems for mid major schools but are not a big deal to the BCS schools rolling in BCS cash.

There has been a good discussion going regarding this on the main MAC board.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=524977
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2011 12:35 PM by MileHighBronco.)
10-28-2011 12:34 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
(10-28-2011 12:34 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  This is a bad idea. Just another way for the BCS schools and conferences to make "the cost of staying" in their little club higher, even though conferences like the MAC aren't really in the club. The club, of course, is the FBS football division, pretty much run by the BCS (in reality, ESPN). The BCS power conferences pretend to distribute $$ to the non AQ conferences, giving them nickels and dimes while they lounge in a hot tub full of gold bullion.

These moves are to remind schools like Boise State that while you may beat us on the field, you can never hope to match us dollar for dollar. We're reminding you that you don't belong in our club and we make the rules.

The resources needed for this will cause serious problems for mid major schools but are not a big deal to the BCS schools rolling in BCS cash.

Just yet another step in the wrong direction, they're going to cook their golden goose if they don't check themselves.
10-28-2011 01:16 PM
Advertisement

kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Very well said both of you. I think you're right, they see teams like Boise state competing and want to keep the $$ to themselves. The "haves" will always have and this is one more way to seperate themselves from the pack. Especially in these hard economic times this will seriously hurt many schools. I also wonder how this will impact other sports. Will we be paying for basketball, baseball, softball, hockey?? Where in the world will all that money come from? And what happens if we don't? I think if we don't we may as well fold up shop because we won't be able to compete for recruits. We may have to add another big payday game just to get the money and drop the IAA game. That doesn't bother me too much but it will be one less game at Waldo and we'll be playing on their turf with their refs etc... Just sad how the NCAA is ruled by TV and the money conferences.
10-28-2011 01:47 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Every time I hear from a former athlete, they don't exactly run out of beer money. Baseball's usually done Friday-Sunday, IIRC. One guy mentioned how they'd get like $80-100 in food money for the entire road trip. Then they'd have team breakfasts, there'd be food spreads before or after the game etc., and you rarely needed to spend any of that money. Suddenly, ta-da. $100 in your pocket.
10-28-2011 02:10 PM
Advertisement

PezKing Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Bad move that will have no impact on the "booster" issues. The problem is that the ones complaining about not having money are not looking for beer and pizza money. They are looking for car, bling, rims, grills money. This bs fed to us by the media about kids just wanting money to go see a movie on the weekend is garbage.
10-28-2011 02:30 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
IMHO colleges need to re-think thier budgetary priorities in athletics. For example take the Summit League which consists of schools from Michigan to North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Oaklahoma and so on. Why in the world would a university like Oakland be in such a far flung league that requires them to fly nearly everywhere?

For example, unlike WMU, Oakland gets to big money football games to support the athletic budget, yet will fly non revenue sport athletes like softball, volleyball, baseball, cross country, track, swimming, soccer all accross the conference at considerable expense. How much money is spent on flghts, hotels and related expenses?

My proposal is for UD, Oakland, WMU, Ferris, CMU, EMU, BGSU,etc to form a non-football only alliance for non revenue sports which can be bussed to, thus lowering costs and time.
10-28-2011 02:35 PM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(10-28-2011 12:34 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  This is a bad idea. Just another way for the BCS schools and conferences to make "the cost of staying" in their little club higher, even though conferences like the MAC aren't really in the club. The club, of course, is the FBS football division, pretty much run by the BCS (in reality, ESPN). The BCS power conferences pretend to distribute $$ to the non AQ conferences, giving them nickels and dimes while they lounge in a hot tub full of gold bullion.

I agree wholeheartedly.
10-28-2011 03:01 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(10-28-2011 02:30 PM)PezKing Wrote:  Bad move that will have no impact on the "booster" issues. The problem is that the ones complaining about not having money are not looking for beer and pizza money. They are looking for car, bling, rims, grills money. This bs fed to us by the media about kids just wanting money to go see a movie on the weekend is garbage.

I agree with this wholeheartedly as well.
10-28-2011 03:03 PM
Carpe Diem Offline
Banned

I Root For: MAC schools
Follow the money trail. Dollars to Samolias this proposal came in with BCS heading at the top of the page.
10-28-2011 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.