Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dr. Noland's Forums
Bookmark and Share
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Dr. Noland's Forums
First observation? This guy is YOUNG.

Second observation? He's handling the gamut of questions/comments so far with his toughest groups of the Dean's and President's Council.

Third Observation? This guy is a go-getter, "never sleeps," and I think there will be some "older" folks on campus that will be more scared of the energy that this guy will have and expect others to get out of the status-quo.

Fourth Observation? His energy could be just what ETSU needs.
10-27-2011 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

2nd String

RE: Dr. Noland's Forums
He needs to stop saying "East"
I'm pretty sure I've heard ETSU called "State" but NEVER "East"
I really don't like that.
10-27-2011 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsubuc Offline
All American

He just answered the football question. Essentially he said it depends on the money, and how much could be raised because he knows that we would lose money at football strickly in terms of ticket sales, etc.

My first impression of him- he is a politician and talks too much without saying anything.
10-27-2011 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
First impressions I don't have any problem with Noland, but Frank is the more experienced and better suited for the job IMO.
10-27-2011 09:58 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I'm not getting the "vision" thing from anybody. They all seem to be playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, to use an old sports analogy.
10-27-2011 10:02 AM
2nd String

The Football Question! From Ms. Duncan in Admissions. She said "everyday I'm asked 'when are you bringing football back' " ... Dr. Noland's response: I realize the importance of Athletics; there are things that ETSU does so well including being a "student-athlete;" commends the teams for their post-season appearances and graduating players; add's that 'we' are not Texas and there's no huge payday off TV contracts, "Athletics at ETSU is NOT going to make money," He'd like to see the feasibility study (we already have that), look at the costs (that's in the feasibility study, easy to update), and WE CAN DO ANYTHING if there is support.... Any decision of that impact is a campus decision, not some guy in a suit with a blue&gold tie....

The fact that Admissions and Mike White admitted yesterday that he deals with the "football question" on almost a daily basis let's me know, THE INTEREST IS THERE... now, who can deal with the interest and harness the energy?? The decision was made by a guy in a suit with LITTLE TO NO Conversation with the people who could actually do what needed to be done to keep football and move the program forward, I'll use that quote with him later on down the road.
10-27-2011 10:27 AM
Advertisement

2nd String

(10-27-2011 09:54 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  He just answered the football question. Essentially he said it depends on the money, and how much could be raised because he knows that we would lose money at football strickly in terms of ticket sales, etc.

My first impression of him- he is a politician and talks too much without saying anything.

Actually he said "we are not Texas" and there are no huge TV contracts, etc... he said "we are not going to make money off Athletics at ETSU"

The door is open.
10-27-2011 10:29 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Quote:WE CAN DO ANYTHING if there is support....

Yes, "we" already knew that. That's why/how we got a med school, and a pharmacy school, among some other things. All it would have taken (yes, that's simplistic, of course, but you all know what I mean), was the WILL to do it. stanton has clearly shown his lack of will to do that. The direction, in such matters, *must* come from the prez. The unfunded unanimous vote by the state legislature proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
10-27-2011 10:37 AM
2nd String

James Bitter needs to be better educated about where the student maintenance fee allocation COMES FROM and GOES TO... he just said that 60% of the 82% of the "institutional funding" that goes to Athletics comes from "INSTRUCTION." Given that Mullins was just bragging yesterday about how great Dr. Bitter feels about being a Gonzaga graduate and that ETSU wants to be like Gonzaga, VCU, and Butler, he might want to have a little chat with Bitter about HOW those programs make their money, it all started with student fees and IT ENDS with student fees at the end of the day. Their "money" from basketball don't begin to cover the other sports.

That funding is part of the STATE's funding formula paid by student fees. It's a set ratio that all TBR schools have access to.
10-27-2011 10:41 AM
2nd String

The correct reponse from Dr. Noland could have been: If that's the case, let's find out ways to make money playing basketball and maybe Football, like they are seeing now at MTSU. But, that's just me.
10-27-2011 10:44 AM
2nd String

Ok. At the end of the Faculty session, one person quipped "Do you think WVU will be joining the Big 12?" lol's, haha's. Dr. Noland talks a bit about how crazy it's been, not really sure, the ability to fundraise depends so much on the conference affiliation you have (his words, not mine), and he'd hate to lose those natural rivals (again, his words, not mine).

Someone asked "What do you think abou the Atlantic Sun?" Noland says "oh, it's a great bunch of institutions, Lipsomb and Belmont are big rivals"
Someone says "Belmont is leaving" Noland says "Oh yeah, they are going to the OVC, going to play Tech, Morehead" on and on
Someone says "Where are WE going?" Noland says "I hope I'm coming here!!"
Someone says "No, I mean the ASun" He says "ummm I don't know, we'll have to look at it"
Someone says "We need to look at it fast"

Interesting.

During the student group now, pretty extensive discussion on the role of athletics, absence of football, the need for ETSU Pride to be deeper than a sign, and on and on. His response was the same as before.
10-27-2011 11:38 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

We really appreciate the on the spot updates! Thank you. A question I think should be asked of all three candidates would be something like "If you become president of a four year TBR university and that university is the only TBR school in the state of Tennesse without a marching band, would that make you embarrassed?".
10-27-2011 12:21 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

The absence of a marching band is the only good aspect of not having football, and one thing that deters me from going to live football games. TV doesnt make me listen to that crap.
10-27-2011 12:31 PM
2nd String

(10-27-2011 12:31 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  The absence of a marching band is the only good aspect of not having football, and one thing that deters me from going to live football games. TV doesnt make me listen to that crap.

boooo hisssss.... come on now!!! That's why there are concession stands and bathrooms for those that don't want to hear the band.

Not a big fan of all the playing during the game but I love a good half-time show and playing the Alma Mater at the end of the game is just part of being at the game. A good band can be a huge draw.

I'll bet there's some folks on here with some latent musical and marching tendancies that will boo-hiss you too! 05-nono
10-27-2011 12:58 PM
2nd String

(10-27-2011 12:21 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  We really appreciate the on the spot updates! Thank you. A question I think should be asked of all three candidates would be something like "If you become president of a four year TBR university and that university is the only TBR school in the state of Tennesse without a marching band, would that make you embarrassed?".

Part of Noland's discussion with the students dealt with the high impact that ETSU has on the region. He talked about how many people he knew and how many of his wife's family came to ETSU. He asked the students where they were from and asked how many of their teachers came from ETSU. How many of their doctors.

I was yelling at the screen: How many of your football coaches and band director's!!!
10-27-2011 01:01 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

Yea I know...music people are very defensive about all of that. Thats the great thing about not being a ETSU presidential nominee- you can actually say what you think without having to worry about who gets offended

Back to Noland- ive listened to more of him since my original post on this thread. I didn't really like how he essentially lectured the students for half of the session regarding student loans, etc., but overall I would be ok with him. Will personally be most interested with the interaction with the faculty in about 15 minutes.
10-27-2011 01:04 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2011 12:21 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  We really appreciate the on the spot updates! Thank you. A question I think should be asked of all three candidates would be something like "If you become president of a four year TBR university and that university is the only TBR school in the state of Tennesse without a marching band, would that make you embarrassed?".

My next mandatory question would be to replace "marching band" with "football team". If they do not say "embarrassed" then I would not want them as president.
10-27-2011 02:30 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

After watching the faculty session, my biggest issue is the lack of specific answers that Frank had. He is nice enough, and has no obvious flaws but I just cant warm up to him as much as Frank because his idea is always simply to get everyone together and see what everyone agrees on. Thats nice, but sometimes you have to have a vision also.

I did like the faculty member that told him that she did not want him to use this job as a stepping stone to another University
10-27-2011 02:35 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(10-27-2011 09:16 AM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  First observation? This guy is YOUNG.

Second observation? He's handling the gamut of questions/comments so far with his toughest groups of the Dean's and President's Council.

Third Observation? This guy is a go-getter, "never sleeps," and I think there will be some "older" folks on campus that will be more scared of the energy that this guy will have and expect others to get out of the status-quo.

Fourth Observation? His energy could be just what ETSU needs.

That description reminds me somewhat of Dr. Art DeRoiser when he became president in 1977. He was a visionary and had a big vision for ETSU in both academics and athletics. There was excitement at that time about where he wanted to take the university by those who saw the potential of ETSU. He was beginning to make bold moves for the university. We'll never know how it could have turned out. I think it was most unfortunate for ETSU that he was there for only three years. Which of these candidates are visionaries, exciting, see the potential of an unleashed ETSU, and want to take the university there?
10-27-2011 02:56 PM
2nd String

More with the second student session:

Dr. Noland is talking about his time at WVU. He says if football came back, would you all fill the student section. Dr. Susan Epps wants to know if they come, will they stay beyond half-time because she's been at ETSU a long time and knows that it's what happens. He's adding more about the great times that he had as a student, and that ETSU has great men's and women's basketball, he remembers Greg Dennis and Keith Mister Jennings and looks forward to going to the games. Football has come up in every session (people laugh and nod their heads). One student senator raises the point that the students voted it down before and if it were up to her she would say no because this community is not about ETSU and there's no support for ETSU in the community (which to me actually should sell the option to someone with drive and ambition).

More comments about lack of student involvement and the apathy from the students and very few students do most of the things that are being done.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2011 03:09 PM by ReturnOfMommaBear.)
10-27-2011 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.