Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference re-alignment (somewhat MAC related)
Bookmark and Share
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Conference re-alignment (somewhat MAC related)
I realize that re-alignment is not likely to impact the MAC that much (that is, unless this ridiculous "super-conference" which includes MWC, C-USA and BE comes to fruition,which I am very skeptical about). Still, Temple is in the discussion for the BE although the pundits in the NE press seem to think that Nova and maybe others in the BE will block the Owls.

The latest round of rumors had WVU all but packed for the B12, and now today there are reports that UL is trying to make their last ditch pitch for inclusion. I think taht the Big 12 would do well to get to 12 members by including WVU, UL or UC.

If any of this happens and Boise "blinks" at BE inclusion, the BE could look to more C-USA programs like their flagship b-ball power Memphis. If Houston, SMU and Memphis came on board, that would work out nice geographically..even better if UL and Cincy stayed in the BE while WVU departs (if the B12 stops at 10). The C-USA posters love to bash Memphis but they are far and away the best hoops program over there and the b-ball BE schools might like to see them join to shore up hoops with WVU's departure.

If C-USA really loses UCF, SMU, Houston and Memphis I guess they could stand pat mostly with their "alliance" thing with MWC, or invite a couple of schools from the Sunbelt (MTSU or WKU or FIU or Troy) or WAC (La Tech) to keep up their numbers.

It is fascinating to watch, plus a shame because the impact on the student-athlete with absurb travel demands and missed classes is not even a part of the discussion.
10-26-2011 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

e-bethMSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis (State)
RE: Conference re-alignment (somewhat MAC related)
students? what students?
10-26-2011 11:46 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(10-26-2011 10:01 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  It is fascinating to watch, plus a shame because the impact on the student-athlete with absurb travel demands and missed classes is not even a part of the discussion.

Yes, that is a bit funny to observe. Especially for the volleyball or cross country teams, do they get the chartered flight the football teams do?

I was in El Paso some years back when Marshall's volleyball team was there. Big yawn for the locals, big headache for the students.

Also, where is the concern about the proliferation of football games? We're at 12 regular season, a conference championship and bowl game right now. Remember when a playoff was completely unrealistic b/c it would mean too many games for the students?
10-26-2011 11:58 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I will say that in regards to student-athletes and schoolwork, the influence of technology really is a game changer (pun intended) when it comes to studying and missing classes. Missing class and having trouble studying is not nearly the issue it once was, assuming of course that what you need is on-line, there is Wi_Fi, and your prof is onboard with you being out....
10-26-2011 01:09 PM
DrTorch Offline

(10-26-2011 01:09 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I will say that in regards to student-athletes and schoolwork, the influence of technology really is a game changer (pun intended) when it comes to studying and missing classes. Missing class and having trouble studying is not nearly the issue it once was, assuming of course that what you need is on-line, there is Wi_Fi, and your prof is onboard with you being out....

Try this with a lab class...
10-26-2011 01:34 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-26-2011 11:58 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(10-26-2011 10:01 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  It is fascinating to watch, plus a shame because the impact on the student-athlete with absurb travel demands and missed classes is not even a part of the discussion.

Yes, that is a bit funny to observe. Especially for the volleyball or cross country teams, do they get the chartered flight the football teams do?

I was in El Paso some years back when Marshall's volleyball team was there. Big yawn for the locals, big headache for the students.

Also, where is the concern about the proliferation of football games? We're at 12 regular season, a conference championship and bowl game right now. Remember when a playoff was completely unrealistic b/c it would mean too many games for the students?

I think they figure if they add games gradually we won't notice.
10-26-2011 03:22 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Don't you know that 12 games or whatever the BCS gods want to do is OK?
They keep playing that squeez box and everyone else has to dance.
10-27-2011 12:56 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

The flights these guys will be taking aren't going to be any more of a problem than the bus rides our teams take right now.
10-27-2011 10:05 AM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/01/big-ea...&eref=sihp

More on Big East inviting 6 new members today. But of course this speculation has been going on for two weeks...the real question is: Who will accept? I think you can mark down UCF, Houston and SMU......if Boise and some of the service academies say no than Temple, ECU and Memphis could be next. The Big east may completely "striked out" or OTOH if it moves forward this has the potential to greatly weaken C-USA and force them into a SunBelt merge kind of conference. This is MAC related because obviously Temple will jump at an all sports invite to the BE, leaving us with something of a scheduling mess with 13 football-playing schools again next year.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 08:52 AM by exCincy Kid.)
11-01-2011 08:46 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
it all comes down to which side brings a better chance of an AQ for Boise. If Houston, UCF, and SMU leave the alliance, the chance of the alliance earning an AQ drops dramatically. If Navy accepts, then Air Force will also accept and that's another huge blow to the alliance. Boise will have no choice but to accept then because of how weak the remaining alliance will be.
11-01-2011 11:33 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

A vote has been made but the schools are not being announced yet.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ew-members

"The Big East Conference's member presidents voted unanimously Tuesday to extend invitations to football-only and all-sports members.

The league, now down to five football-playing members, met in Philadelphia to discuss expansion. Commissioner John Marinatto declined to name the schools being targeted, but said he would be speaking to the expansion candidates shortly and looked forward to announcing their additions to the conference."...
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 12:59 PM by HuskieJohn.)
11-01-2011 12:59 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
UCF, SMU, and Houston are reportedly in the bag. Boise, Air Force, and Navy are in wait-and-see mode. That still leaves one open spot to get to 12 football teams.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 01:02 PM by uakronkid.)
11-01-2011 01:02 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-01-2011 01:02 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  UCF, SMU, and Houston are reportedly in the bag. Boise, Air Force, and Navy are in wait-and-see mode. That still leaves one open spot to get to 12 football teams.

Seems like it would be between BYU, Temple, Memphis and ECU.

If Boise join then BYU will think about it.

If Boise doesn't join then the BE will hand out 2 more invites between these three teams: Temple, Memphis or ECU.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 01:14 PM by HuskieJohn.)
11-01-2011 01:10 PM
IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(11-01-2011 01:02 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  UCF, SMU, and Houston are reportedly in the bag. Boise, Air Force, and Navy are in wait-and-see mode. That still leaves one open spot to get to 12 football teams.

I had read earlier today that the basketball schools would not vote on adding members until Boise had all but agreed to join the conference. This leads me to believe that has happened which should entice the rest as it is more likely now that the Big East will have a chance of maintaining its status.
11-01-2011 01:43 PM
nert Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, CMU, Cincinnati
(11-01-2011 01:10 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

If Boise doesn't join then the BE will hand out 2 more invites between these three teams: Temple, Memphis or ECU.

I thought I read somewhere that BYU left the MWC partly because BoiseSt was joining. If that's the case, why would they be joining the BigEast if BoiseSt also joins?
11-01-2011 01:47 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
If UCF, Houston and SMU say yes, and Boise and BYU say no and the BE moves down it's "hit list" to Temple, ECU and/or Memphis (my money is on Temple first, then Memphis, to mollify b-ball only schools), then C-USA could be absolutely decimated, and relegated to a SunBelt/C-USA combo conference. I am sure others here with more technical skills and time than I have could calculate what the pre and post Sagarins would be if C-USA lost all those programs and replaced with the likes of FIU, FAU, WKU, MTSU, L-Tech, etc.
11-01-2011 01:49 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Wow, where's CUSA going to go for replacement teams? Sunbelt?
11-01-2011 01:50 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-01-2011 01:47 PM)nert Wrote:  

I thought I read somewhere that BYU left the MWC partly because BoiseSt was joining. If that's the case, why would they be joining the BigEast if BoiseSt also joins?
Didn't read that. So why do all these writers keep on mentioning BYU for the BE along with BSU?
11-01-2011 01:54 PM
DrTorch Offline

(11-01-2011 01:47 PM)nert Wrote:  

BYU left b/c Utah and TCU left, and it knew that the MWC was not going to get an AQ BCS bid even w/ Boise St, and would probably be poached further.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 02:36 PM by DrTorch.)
11-01-2011 01:57 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-01-2011 01:49 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  If UCF, Houston and SMU say yes, and Boise and BYU say no and the BE moves down it's "hit list" to Temple, ECU and/or Memphis (my money is on Temple first, then Memphis, to mollify b-ball only schools), then C-USA could be absolutely decimated, and relegated to a SunBelt/C-USA combo conference. I am sure others here with more technical skills and time than I have could calculate what the pre and post Sagarins would be if C-USA lost all those programs and replaced with the likes of FIU, FAU, WKU, MTSU, L-Tech, etc.

But the CUSA and MWC have already agreed on a super duper conference. Why would they just forget it now? They would have a more manageable number around 16-18 total teams.
11-01-2011 02:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.