ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
October 24 is National Bologna Day
October 24 is National Bologna Day

[Image: 111024114704-bologna-story-top.jpg]

October 24th is National Bologna Day. American eat 800 million pounds of bologna a year. No wonder it has lasted throughout the ages. Bologna actually dates back to ancient roman. Bologna is a lunch meat that is mainly used to make sandwiches and has been a household staple in many American homes and can be incorporated into many different recipes.

Bologna and american cheese sandwiches are the most popular way to eat them with your favorite condiment of mustard or mayonaiise, of course. Fried bologna sandwiches the cooked version and resembles what many call 'poor mans steak'. Using a dry skillet, place a piece of bologna in the skillet on medium high heat. Cut a slit so it resembles a little pac-man in the pan, slitting the meat will keep it from mounding up. Cook it in its own natural juice and when it is finished to your taste place it on a piece of bread, top it with your choice of condiments and enjoy.

http://www.examiner.com/country-living-i...roadrunner

10-24-2011 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: October 24 is National Bologna Day
pass

10-24-2011 09:45 AM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
I hear Obama is going to be talking alot of bologni today in recognition of his favorite conversation piece.

10-24-2011 11:13 AM
dizzygirl Offline
Girl

I Root For: Tradition
Except in Kentucky where it's 'National Kentucky Round Steak Day.' :)

10-24-2011 01:05 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
When is hot wing day?

10-24-2011 01:54 PM
Advertisement

dizzygirl Offline
Girl

Every day is hot wing day...

10-24-2011 02:06 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(10-24-2011 02:06 PM)dizzygirl Wrote:  Every day is hot wing day...

04-cheers

10-24-2011 02:16 PM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
Hot wings and brew.

10-24-2011 03:40 PM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
You people are sick.

I can't believe anyone would make fun of bologna, or for that matter, try and change the subject to wings.

Without a doubt, Kahn's makes the best commerical bologna around. Just the right combination of snouts, hooves (or hoofs if you like), internal organs and other delicious pork and turkey by products.

By the way, the G & R Tavern in Waldo, Ohio serves the best fried bologna sandwich in America.

10-24-2011 03:41 PM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Anyone remember the Tastee Bird that used to be in Peebles Corner? They had a bbq bologna sandwich that was crazy good.

10-24-2011 06:01 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(10-24-2011 03:41 PM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  You people are sick.

I can't believe anyone would make fun of bologna, or for that matter, try and change the subject to wings.

Without a doubt, Kahn's makes the best commerical bologna around. Just the right combination of snouts, hooves (or hoofs if you like), internal organs and other delicious pork and turkey by products.

By the way, the G & R Tavern in Waldo, Ohio serves the best fried bologna sandwich in America.

03-lmfao yeah with kahn's when you can see the snout, you know lunch is going to be good! i'm going to have to venture out to this waldo you speak of. maybe on one of my sunday drives i shalt convene with a hearty budweiser and a fried bologna sandwich. is this g & r tavern better than that church bar in new baltimore, ohio?

10-24-2011 06:18 PM
THE BearcatBrent Offline
Nancy WAS wrong.................

I Root For: who I want
There really IS a G&R tavern.

http://www.gandrtavern.com/

Dan knows his 'stuff'.

10-24-2011 08:44 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(10-24-2011 01:05 PM)dizzygirl Wrote:  Except in Kentucky where it's 'National Kentucky Round Steak Day.' :)

Hey hey hey, I live in KY and it also happens to be my birthday. Never knew my birthday was also national bologna day. Could be worse I guess.

10-24-2011 08:46 PM
Advertisement

dizzygirl Offline
Girl

(10-24-2011 08:46 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(10-24-2011 01:05 PM)dizzygirl Wrote:  Except in Kentucky where it's 'National Kentucky Round Steak Day.' :)

Hey hey hey, I live in KY and it also happens to be my birthday. Never knew my birthday was also national bologna day. Could be worse I guess.

Well, Happy Birthday! Next year- 2 birds, one stone: Bologna cake?!

10-25-2011 09:21 AM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
(10-24-2011 08:44 PM)THE BearcatBrent Wrote:  There really IS a G&R tavern.

Dan knows his 'stuff'.
In the distant past, a Honda of America purchasing manager used to insist I meet him there after work. Compared to the usual strip club trips requested by other customers, it was a cheap entertainment expense.

The bologna for the sandwich was cut thick just like it should be.

That Bologna salad sandwich was not on the menu back then, and is no doubt a consession to those insisting on a healthy alternative to fried bologna.

Waldo is just up the road from Deleware, home of Ohio Wesleyan, and the Deleware State Park and Wilderness area. Lush would no doubt like tramping in mud up to his ass & this might be the place to do it.

If you keep going up US23, you end up in Upper Sandusky which is actually quite a bit lower than Sandusky. Coon's Candy (in Harpster, OH) is a must stop. They've been in business since 1917, and their english toffee is the best I've ever eaten.

And while you are in the Upper, you may as well take US 30 East to Carle's Bratwurst in Bucyrus. Be sure to bring your ice chest along cause you'll want to bring them home to share. And don't forget that Bucyrus has a bratwurst festival every August.

[Image: IMG_0.jpg]

http://www.bratfest.org/

Me? After a good brat, I'd head over east to Amish country for some cheese and then to Akron to have a famous Swenson's hamburger with onion rings and fried mushrooms.

But that's just me.
03-cloud9

Remind me to tell you about the good eatin' in southern Indiana.

10-25-2011 11:33 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(10-25-2011 11:33 AM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  
(10-24-2011 08:44 PM)THE BearcatBrent Wrote:  There really IS a G&R tavern.

Dan knows his 'stuff'.
In the distant past, a Honda of America purchasing manager used to insist I meet him there after work. Compared to the usual strip club trips requested by other customers, it was a cheap entertainment expense.

The bologna for the sandwich was cut thick just like it should be.

That Bologna salad sandwich was not on the menu back then, and is no doubt a consession to those insisting on a healthy alternative to fried bologna.

Waldo is just up the road from Deleware, home of Ohio Wesleyan, and the Deleware State Park and Wilderness area. Lush would no doubt like tramping in mud up to his ass & this might be the place to do it.

If you keep going up US23, you end up in Upper Sandusky which is actually quite a bit lower than Sandusky. Coon's Candy (in Harpster, OH) is a must stop. They've been in business since 1917, and their english toffee is the best I've ever eaten.

And while you are in the Upper, you may as well take US 30 East to Carle's Bratwurst in Bucyrus. Be sure to bring your ice chest along cause you'll want to bring them home to share. And don't forget that Bucyrus has a bratwurst festival every August.

[Image: IMG_0.jpg]

http://www.bratfest.org/

Me? After a good brat, I'd head over east to Amish country for some cheese and then to Akron to have a famous Swenson's hamburger with onion rings and fried mushrooms.

But that's just me.
03-cloud9

Remind me to tell you about the good eatin' in southern Indiana.

i would wish to purchase your back roads tom foolery when it is available in audio book. that way, when i am traversing these forgotten highways of ours, you may preside as tour guide to my never sated quest for adventures. adventures sane men would deem insane.

10-25-2011 12:15 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

my buddy informed me that waldo is near bellafontaine, to which i replied, "the first concrete road in the united states!" we love atlases. anyways, i talked the girlfriend into taking me to the g&r tavern after we visit her folks in maria stein for tnxgiving. of course this is on the condition that we go to clifton mills and their glorious christmas lights.

[Image: guttman-clifton-mills-gorge-618jn120508.jpg]

11-03-2011 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

bump.

well it appears that myself and ma lady are going to make a little trip to the g&r tavern, campbell hill, and the first concrete paved road in america this saturday. she hates bologna, but an excuse to see friends in columbus.

02-15-2012 05:12 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

and we made it! the bologna sandwich was as advertised. nice thick slice topped with cheese, onion, and pickle. pairs nicely with a couple a rolling rocks. prior to that we did indeed check out bellfontaine and the first paved concrete road in the u.s. people honked at us while we documented our experience. but campbell hill remains elusive. in columbus, watched the uc/seton hall game at the incorrectly named stout house as there were no stouts on draft. had some jenny's ice cream later on (black coffee, wildberry lavender, and bangkok peanut) and then went to brothers drake for a mead bender. the pawpaw mead was sublime. if you like mead, i highly recommend this place. then we played some euchre.

02-20-2012 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.