Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pittsburgh can be top 10 this year
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Only landmines in Pitt's way are WVU (going to be a nasty game) and Nebraska.

I think it is very possible that UofL & Pitt can be top 10
06-14-2005 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Well Notre Dame will probably be a tough one too...but other then that I agree with you....I have been trying to explain that to a few Cardinal fans who are a bit overconfident...Pitt has a lot of talent coming back this yr and Palko is one of the most natural QBs in terms of passing/running ability, instincts etc seen in the BE since Donovan McNabb....He will easily be the choice for preseason BE player of the yr

Jackson
06-14-2005 10:18 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Jackson1011 Wrote:Well Notre Dame will probably be a tough one too...but other then that I agree with you....I have been trying to explain that to a few Cardinal fans who are a bit overconfident...Pitt has a lot of talent coming back this yr and Palko is one of the most natural QBs in terms of passing/running ability, instincts etc seen in the BE since Donovan McNabb....He will easily be the choice for preseason BE player of the yr

Jackson
We take nothing away from Pitt or Palko but we have plenty of confidence in Brian Brohm and Michael Bush. Both of those guys will have a say on who is the Big East OPOY.
06-14-2005 10:19 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Wasn't referring to you with the Cardinal fan comment Maize....the UL/Pitt game is going to be GREAT...I only wish it was not on a weeknight

Jackson
06-14-2005 10:31 AM
knight_01 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Outside opinion to backup the Cardinals. From my perspective, Brohm looks to be a better quarterback than Palko. Louisville seems to have a reload situation rather than a rebuild situation.

Besides Palko, what kind of talent does Pitt have coming back this year? I'm gonna go check out their CFN preview if it's up already.
06-14-2005 10:34 AM
Advertisement

PusherT Offline
1st String

Jackson1011 Wrote:Wasn't referring to you with the Cardinal fan comment Maize....the UL/Pitt game is going to be GREAT...I only wish it was not on a weeknight

Jackson
I have Pitt going 9-2 losing only to WVU/NU. If Pittsburgh doesn't get 9+ win with there talent then something is wrong. Watching Palko play in the Dome last year I think this team can take UL "UL secondary is weak, and Greg Lee will have a career day IMO"

9-2 usually get you ranked from #14-#8 going to BCS/Gator Bowl
06-14-2005 10:37 AM
PusherT Offline
1st String

knight_01 Wrote:Outside opinion to backup the Cardinals. From my perspective, Brohm looks to be a better quarterback than Palko. Louisville seems to have a reload situation rather than a rebuild situation.

Besides Palko, what kind of talent does Pitt have coming back this year? I'm gonna go check out their CFN preview if it's up already.
Only weakness with Pitt is there Running game/D-Line. When they played SU last year they couldn't run and couldn't stop the run. Wanny should have that D-Line solid but I think WVU/SO will grind them pretty bad though "Bigger O-lines"

But Big East is strong and Notre Dame/UL aren't invincible so Pitt should have a 10-9 win season
06-14-2005 10:41 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

PusherT Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:Wasn't referring to you with the Cardinal fan comment Maize....the UL/Pitt game is going to be GREAT...I only wish it was not on a weeknight

Jackson
I have Pitt going 9-2 losing only to WVU/NU. If Pittsburgh doesn't get 9+ win with there talent then something is wrong. Watching Palko play in the Dome last year I think this team can take UL "UL secondary is weak, and Greg Lee will have a career day IMO"

While watching Pitt LOSE to Syracuse last year 38-31 (OT), are you not concerned that maybe Louisville will be able to outscore them? Pitt is decent--I'm just not buying into the top 25 hype for them. Pitt/WVU/Cuse/maybe Rutgers will all be close in power rating.
06-14-2005 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
PusherT Offline
1st String

TexanMark Wrote:
PusherT Wrote:

Jackson

While watching Pitt LOSE to Syracuse last year 38-31 (OT), are you not concerned that maybe Louisville will be able to outscore them? Pitt is decent--I'm just not buying into the top 25 hype for them. Pitt/WVU/Cuse/maybe Rutgers will all be close in power rating.
Mark Ptt lost that game because of 2 things

1. No running game. Wanny will fix that
2. D-Line couldn't stop SU run attack. Wanny will have that fixed

Watching Greg Lee I can't see UofL stopping Palko-Lee combo, especially when UofL losing alot of experience at the secondary.

Pitt schedule isn't super tough, 9+ wins is there IMO
06-14-2005 11:07 AM
Advertisement

knight_01 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Alright. Pros and Cons and comparisons.

Louisville will have a huge OL advantage over Pitt. They've got an all american OT Leflew, they've got a couple of other players on that line that have the potential to be all Big East selections. It's all JRs and Srs.

Behind that line they have a 250 RB named Michael Bush. This guy is good and is gonna crack skulls.

Louisville lost their top WR, however, they have three productive Senior WRs ready to go.

Pittsburgh's OL was mediocre last year. They didn't open holes and gave up 40 sacks. They also lost their best player. Rashad Jennings may be good but he's got to find daylight first. He's not the prize that Jason Gwaltney at WVU is.

WR Lee is a very good player. However, he doesn't seem to be an all american. The options after Lee are not as good.

The Pitt D Line was unimpressive last year and lost their starting DTs who were somewhat productive. Their cornerbacks got burnt badly last year. However, they have a very very good linebacking group.

Louisville's D Line has a possible pro prospect in DT Montavious Stanley, and a possible sack machine in DE Dumervil. LBs are decent. Secondary is stable.

Because of Louisville's dominance on the OL and Pitt's mediocre DL play, I suspect Louisville is gonna torch them for yards and points. Louisville's defense while not as good as their offense will match up evenly with Pitt's offense. The game has to be played on the field, but on paper it looks like Louisville's superior offensive line, quarterback, and running back should win the game for them. Their defense won't win the game, but they won't give it away either.

My .02.
06-14-2005 11:17 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

knight_01 Wrote:Alright. Pros and Cons and comparisons.

Louisville will have a huge OL advantage over Pitt. They've got an all american OT Leflew, they've got a couple of other players on that line that have the potential to be all Big East selections. It's all JRs and Srs.

Behind that line they have a 250 RB named Michael Bush. This guy is good and is gonna crack skulls.

Louisville lost their top WR, however, they have three productive Senior WRs ready to go.

Pittsburgh's OL was mediocre last year. They didn't open holes and gave up 40 sacks. They also lost their best player. Rashad Jennings may be good but he's got to find daylight first. He's not the prize that Jason Gwaltney at WVU is.

WR Lee is a very good player. However, he doesn't seem to be an all american. The options after Lee are not as good.

The Pitt D Line was unimpressive last year and lost their starting DTs who were somewhat productive. Their cornerbacks got burnt badly last year. However, they have a very very good linebacking group.

Louisville's D Line has a possible pro prospect in DT Montavious Stanley, and a possible sack machine in DE Dumervil. LBs are decent. Secondary is stable.

Because of Louisville's dominance on the OL and Pitt's mediocre DL play, I suspect Louisville is gonna torch them for yards and points. Louisville's defense while not as good as their offense will match up evenly with Pitt's offense. The game has to be played on the field, but on paper it looks like Louisville's superior offensive line, quarterback, and running back should win the game for them. Their defense won't win the game, but they won't give it away either.

My .02.
Nice observation, Knight. I agree with you that on paper, it seems as if Louisville will win that Pitt game by at least a couple of TD's.
But something about me says that it will be a little closer, and with Tyler Palko as the QB, anything can happen. He is just a great qb. The kid just does not want to lose and he does whatever it takes to win.

Besides Greg Lee, Pitt has another guy who does not get as much attention, but I think he is every bit as good, is that kid, Delsardo. I saw this kid make some amazing one hand catches last year. He is the real deal. This is going to be one great game to watch.
06-14-2005 12:37 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

PusherT Wrote:
knight_01 Wrote:Outside opinion to backup the Cardinals.  From my perspective, Brohm looks to be a better quarterback than Palko.  Louisville seems to have a reload situation rather than a rebuild situation. 

Besides Palko, what kind of talent does Pitt have coming back this year?  I'm gonna go check out their CFN preview if it's up already.
Only weakness with Pitt is there Running game/D-Line. When they played SU last year they couldn't run and couldn't stop the run. Wanny should have that D-Line solid but I think WVU/SO will grind them pretty bad though "Bigger O-lines"

But Big East is strong and Notre Dame/UL aren't invincible so Pitt should have a 10-9 win season
Pitt has a weakness on their DLine and they are going up against Louisville very good OLine. Uh, oh that very well could spell trouble for the Panthers. Michael Bush and Kolby Smith could have a very good night against that Panther Defense.
06-14-2005 01:09 PM
CardsWin00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote:I have been trying to explain that to a few Cardinal fans who are a bit overconfident...

When Palko came out and said that he plans on winning the Big East, Card fans said that is exactly how he should be talking. Louisville fans think that every team should expect to win the conference, just like we expect to win the conference.

Have you been spending time on Pitt boards telling them what UL has to offer?
06-14-2005 01:22 PM
Advertisement

cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

The thing no one has stated is Louisville is at home. I'm more concerned with WVU...not that Pitt isn't going to be a challenge, but they have to play in our house.
06-14-2005 03:39 PM
knight_01 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

cardtopper Wrote:The thing no one has stated is Louisville is at home.  I'm more concerned with WVU...not that Pitt isn't going to be a challenge, but they have to play in our house.
In my opinion, I think WVU has had more success at developing their offensive line than Pittsburgh has. Add to that that they will have All American (high school) Jason Gwaltney in the backfield... they might be a force to reckon with. Rich Rod is no slouch of a coach either. Sorry to keep chiming in on this discussion but since UCF has played West Virginia & Syracuse a couple of times each in the recent past, I kind of feel I know a bit about teams that play in the Big East.
06-14-2005 04:11 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

Two corrections:

1. Pitt's DB didn't get burned last year. They were lined up 10 yards off the line and teams picked us apart underneath. Coach Wannestedt has already said his db's will move forward and play tight coverage.

2. Pitt's OL last year always pass protected. That was Walt Harris' offense. That is why Utah was able to run us over like that. There was no threat of run blocking so they just came hell bent for election. Pitt's new OL coach is Paul Dunn, a disciple of Joe Moore who produced the great Pitt OLs of the late 70s early 80's. May, Covert, Fada, Fralic, Grimm, and Sweeney all were developed under Joe Moore. Plus Wanny's philosophy is if we establich the run first, the passing will open up. Pitt's OL problems were a combination of Harris' offense and offensive coaching by Tom Freeman, perhaps the worst OL coach in the country. Watch how awful Stanford's line is, he went with Walt. I am not worried about the OL at all, people will be suprised by it.
06-15-2005 11:20 PM
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Pitt/Ul should be a great game, I am looking forward to it.

The Ville has a chance to be great this season. A lot of hype and expectations are riding on Brohm's shoulders. To me, this is an awful lot of pressure to be putting on a sophomore who has never started a game. He definately has the talent. I just wish our fans would consider an undefeated season a dream, not a "lock".

Pitt has a chance to be very good this season also. Palko should be even better and he has a great target in Lee. The rest of their offense seems to be kind of a question mark as to just how good they will be. A new coach and a new attitude can make a dramatic difference in this unit.

I am going to say the Ville has a slight edge at this time because the game is played at our field.
06-16-2005 06:02 AM
Advertisement

knight_01 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Shannon Panther Wrote:Two corrections:

1. Pitt's DB didn't get burned last year. They were lined up 10 yards off the line and teams picked us apart underneath. Coach Wannestedt has already said his db's will move forward and play tight coverage.

2. Pitt's OL last year always pass protected. That was Walt Harris' offense. That is why Utah was able to run us over like that. There was no threat of run blocking so they just came hell bent for election. Pitt's new OL coach is Paul Dunn, a disciple of Joe Moore who produced the great Pitt OLs of the late 70s early 80's. May, Covert, Fada, Fralic, Grimm, and Sweeney all were developed under Joe Moore. Plus Wanny's philosophy is if we establich the run first, the passing will open up. Pitt's OL problems were a combination of Harris' offense and offensive coaching by Tom Freeman, perhaps the worst OL coach in the country. Watch how awful Stanford's line is, he went with Walt. I am not worried about the OL at all, people will be suprised by it.
Didn't know that. This game sounds like its gonna be interesting. What is the date, and who is broadcasting it?
06-16-2005 09:49 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

ESPN Thursday night game. NOV 3rd.
06-16-2005 05:57 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I think Pitt will be much better coached this year. I also think LOU will have a great team, and Brohm will become a wonderful qb. I do think LOU may lose some of the intangibles that Lefors brought to the team.

Considering that we have 2 outstanding teams, I'll have to give the edge to the home team, the Cards. This will be the 9th game for Pitt and the 8th for the Cards. That advantage could play either way, more experience vs. more chance of injuries. Normally, this late in the season, experience is a non-factor: both teams are seasoned. I would love for both teams to be undefeated when they meet, but that's a bit much to hope for.
06-17-2005 11:47 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.