Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall D targeting Keenum?
Bookmark and Share
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Rolleyes Marshall D targeting Keenum?
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/bl...aaf-wp8405

As a defense, that's our key to the game," Marshall nose tackle Delvin Johnson told the Huntington Herald-Dispatch. "We try to kill the head of the snake every game. Putting out the quarterback is a real big deal for us."

Brazen talk for a defense that's facing the nation's top offense and a quarterback who's carved up opposing defenses like Thanksgiving turkeys this season. And not to get all preachy, but it's also unsportsmanlike.

"He's the first-string quarterback for a reason," Marshall free safety Omar Brown. "And a second-string quarterback doesn't bring as much to the table as the first-string. So, it kind of slows them down in a way, which is a good thing for us.

"He's one of the top quarterbacks in the nation. For them to lose a guy like that. ... they won't have a backup to compare to him."
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 09:34 AM by Kronke.)
10-21-2011 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerEric Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTEP
RE: Marshall D targeting Keenum?
Brazen?
What the hell else is he supposed to say?
Perhaps you'd be happy with, "I really hope we almost win."
10-21-2011 03:04 PM
Stephen Igoe Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
I sincerely hope Marshall has a better gameplan than that.
10-21-2011 03:12 PM
MondoMiner Offline
Adelantado and Captain-General

I Root For: Los Mineros
(10-21-2011 03:04 PM)MinerEric Wrote:  Brazen?
What the hell else is he supposed to say?
Perhaps you'd be happy with, "I really hope we almost win."

They're not just saying "we're gonna put pressure on him" they're talking about "putting him out" and getting his backup in there. They're trying to hurt him to take him out of the game. Even if that is your gameplan, you don't say it.05-nono
10-21-2011 03:19 PM
istrahan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
If I were Marshall, I would rush only Vinny Curry and drop 10 into coverage.
10-21-2011 03:19 PM
NukeLaCoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
It is a good plan. If you can take out the QB it is good for the defense. I wouldn't be surprised if Curry didn't have a target square on his chest.
10-21-2011 03:21 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
It's how we beat you in 2008. We hit your QB enough to rattle him in to some ints. If you read the original article it is clear, and the players say, that they aren't looking to do anything illegal and aren't looking to cheap shot the guy, but they do want to hit him every time they get a clean shot. It's the same thing every team in the NFL says when they play a top QB.
10-21-2011 03:27 PM
5thward frankie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston
(10-21-2011 03:27 PM)banker Wrote:  It's how we beat you in 2008. We hit your QB enough to rattle him in to some ints. If you read the original article it is clear, and the players say, that they aren't looking to do anything illegal and aren't looking to cheap shot the guy, but they do want to hit him every time they get a clean shot. It's the same thing every team in the NFL says when they play a top QB.

Kill the head of the snake...sounds clean to me.
10-21-2011 03:40 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

If Marshall hits him legally and often, that's fine.

If they hit him late or spear him or hit him helmut to helmut or go after his knee, etc., that's not fine.

I will say that in light of the Patrick Edwards fiasco, this article makes Marshall look really bad to the UH fanbase.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2011 03:47 PM by CougarRed.)
10-21-2011 03:45 PM
The Original Timmy Chan Offline
Bad Mammy Jammy

I Root For: my wife
(10-21-2011 03:45 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  I will say that in light of the Patrick Edwards fiasco, this article makes Marshall look really bad to the UH fanbase.

Agree with everything you said, but...it's gotta be clarified that the Edwards deal was not intentional. Maybe irresponsible in hindsight, but not intentional.

The way I read the quotes from Marshall players above...they're looking to take Keenum out. Not just hit him hard to fluster him, but TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME.

No bueno, mis amigos. 05-nono
10-21-2011 03:59 PM
Ghis Offline
Special Teams

Not exactly the smartest thing to say if you don't want to face a motivated team; especially one that is already angry over the incident with Edwards band cart fiasco. Yup, great way to keep the total under 70. :rolltide:
10-21-2011 04:07 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2011 03:59 PM)The Original Timmy Chan Wrote:  The Edwards deal was not intentional. Maybe irresponsible in hindsight, but not intentional.

The Edwards deal was not intentional in the sense they were trying to injure him.

But it was a lot more than "maybe irresponsible." It was downright negligent. And if any Marshall official had any awareness of the danger those carts posed beforehand, it was grossly negligent.

My whole point was in light of that episode, Marshall is the last school you would expect to be talking about the desire to injure a Houston player.

And so this article has rubbed our fanbase completely the wrong way.
10-21-2011 04:09 PM
eagle04 Offline
All American

There is a difference in knocking someone out of the game by hurting them and going out to injury someone or end their career.

Every defensive player in the country is trying to hurt the guy they hit on every play.
10-21-2011 04:24 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

Sounds like the Houston Oline should target Curry. Take him out and your QB is safe.
10-21-2011 04:25 PM
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
If I were a Marshall fan I would be ashamed of such statements to intentionally injure someone. Stay classy Huntington.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2011 04:31 PM by willhclark.)
10-21-2011 04:30 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Exactly what they did to us. And it worked.
10-21-2011 04:39 PM
Advertisement

goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-21-2011 04:30 PM)willhclark Wrote:  If I were a Marshall fan I would be ashamed of such statements to intentionally injure someone. Stay classy Huntington.

We are not playing golf here my friends. Its football and the plan is to hit your qb. Quit whining like a little baby. You act like Marshall is the first team to ever say we must put pressure on the qb and hit him when we can. You know if a qb keeps getting hit sometimes they get rattled and make bad plays.
10-21-2011 04:42 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2011 04:42 PM)goherd17 Wrote:  
(10-21-2011 04:30 PM)willhclark Wrote:  If I were a Marshall fan I would be ashamed of such statements to intentionally injure someone. Stay classy Huntington.

We are not playing golf here my friends. Its football and the plan is to hit your qb. Quit whining like a little baby. You act like Marshall is the first team to ever say we must put pressure on the qb and hit him when we can. You know if a qb keeps getting hit sometimes they get rattled and make bad plays.

Read the article. Your players are not talking about pressuring Keenum into mistakes. They are talking about their intent to knock him out of the game (i.e. injure him) and see how well the 2nd team QB plays.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2011 04:45 PM by CougarRed.)
10-21-2011 04:44 PM
ECU_Drummer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

Why, because he said what every other defensive football player in America is thinking?
10-21-2011 04:45 PM
goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If the hits are legal so what. If they are not then get on here and whine then.
10-21-2011 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.