Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ETSU Baseball - 2012
Bookmark and Share
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
ETSU Baseball - 2012
2012 schedule released; new stadium opens with Easter Kentucky; home-and-home with Tennessee returns. Also features a west-coast swing to Arizona.

New players this year:

Zach Thompson, IF, Science Hill HS
Will Carter, RHP, Science Hill HS
Jordan Sanford, IF, Powell HS
Shade Jett, IF, Jefferson Co. HS
Jimmy Nesselt, RHP, Amerian Heritage High School (Plantation, FL)
Chris Riopedre, IF, Minsignor Pace HS, (Cooper City, FL)
Kuehl McEachern, RHP, Eustis HS (Mt. Dora, FL)
Jake Long, RHP, Spartanburg Methodist JC (John's Brother)
Mason Hershey, C/3B, Potomac State JC (Altoona, PA)

Interesting to note that Freeman took 44. No pressure or anything.
10-19-2011 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: ETSU Baseball - 2012
Nine new faces on a roster of what, 20 guys? One never knows. How did the locals do last year in high school? Hopefully they can be contributors and this group can make some noise again.
10-20-2011 09:58 AM
Special Teams

(10-20-2011 09:58 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Nine new faces on a roster of what, 20 guys? One never knows. How did the locals do last year in high school? Hopefully they can be contributors and this group can make some noise again.

29 players, but also two new assistants, with Clay Greene and Reid Casey both gone. As for the local kids:

Carter - 36.2 IP, 5-1, 2.48 ERA, 35 SOs
Thompson - .453, 8 HRs, 35 RBIs
Jett - .445, 15 2B, 4 HRs, 43 RBIs, 16 SBs
Don't have senior numbers for Sanford.

It should be a faster group this year, with a bunch of the power gone. Pratt will likely be looking at a lot of RBI situations since he's the biggest bat left, and they might stick him at first. The speed of guys like Green and Scruggs, especially, will need to be better utilized in the running game than it has been in years past. I would expect Zach Waters to get a lot of time behind the plate, depending on what Skole wants to do with Hershey, who can play catcher or third (fitting that those are both positions of need).

There's a pretty strong pitching staff coming back, with the top two starters returning in John Long and Derek Bushey, who pitched a 2-hit shutout at NC State last year. Jake Long has pretty similar numbers to John, too, although his 1.64 ERA his second year at Spartanburg is much lower than John's was (2.41). Don't know if he'll start or not, but the bullpen is looking a little lean with no more Dak Rissman or Scott McNally, so he might move to the pen and Skole could start Freeman. He probably won't know until the Indiana series.

I'm eager to see what they do. I think if everybody plays to their potential, this team could win 35 games again.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2011 10:52 AM by Mister Consistency.)
10-20-2011 10:51 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

With speed and pitching it sounds like alot of small ball this year. Defense, bunts and stealing bases.
10-20-2011 06:46 PM
Buc81 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: BUCS
So what is the deal between JC and ETSU that the team had to have their fall practices at the Twins Field in Elizabethton? I'm skeptical (but hopeful too) that the new baseball stadium will be ready for this year's season. If anyone has any info about the snail's pace the construction has taken, please enlighten me! In the event that it is not ready, it would be ridiculous to play out of town in Elizabethton with Cardinal Park sitting empty.
10-25-2011 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(10-25-2011 08:38 AM)Buc81 Wrote:  So what is the deal between JC and ETSU that the team had to have their fall practices at the Twins Field in Elizabethton? I'm skeptical (but hopeful too) that the new baseball stadium will be ready for this year's season. If anyone has any info about the snail's pace the construction has taken, please enlighten me! In the event that it is not ready, it would be ridiculous to play out of town in Elizabethton with Cardinal Park sitting empty.

My guess would be they simply didn't renew their lease with the city for Cardinal Park because the stadium will be done in the spring, and Joe O'Brien Field got rented out for very little or no money.

The ballpark would have been done last year if a.) they hadn't run into an extra foot of rock, and b.) the ground wasn't frozen for most of the winter. They'll have everything in the ground when November/December rolls around this year, though, so construction should be a lot smoother this winter. They might have it there already, but I haven't been by the site in a while.
10-25-2011 11:14 AM
Sportsman_17 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU, MTSU, TTU
I go by the site at least once a week and they do have some steel beams onsite, but nothing major is coming out of the ground yet.
10-27-2011 03:44 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Maybe I'm just having one of my famous "finger snapping ideas" but if someone is driving by the stadium and has a camera handy, snap off a couple of pictures and feel free to post them here.
10-27-2011 05:09 PM
Sportsman_17 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU, MTSU, TTU
I drove by the stadium again on Monday and they have the dugouts blocked up and some framing done around the dugouts. Next time I am going by there I will stop and take some pictures for you buclover.
11-01-2011 01:50 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

It would be nice to see. Maybe I'm just missing the construction updates on ETSUbucs.com, who knows. Thanks, chief.
11-02-2011 04:44 PM
Special Teams

The park has a name: Thomas Stadium.

Looks like it's set to go in February. With the mild winter we've been having, I'm sure they've been productive, though I haven't gotten out there to see it in a while...
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2011 09:54 PM by Mister Consistency.)
12-14-2011 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.