Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
If PSU,Maryland, or ND don't come soon
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

I just can't see the Big East staying alfoat for another 10 years. Just by bringing in PSU the Big East would be able to keep both Pitt/SU/WVU happy.

By going after Maryland, the Big East would be able to keep SU/Pitt/WVU happy

ND would make WVU/Pitt/SU very very happy.

I think Big East needs to focus 100% on Maryland,PSU,ND in order of keeping WVU/Pitt/SU happy the "3" powers of the conference. If 2/3 of this group leave the Big East the BCS bid leaves
06-24-2005 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I'm thinking 1/3 might push us over the edge. That is why everybody was so pissed at BC--it narrowed our safety cushion.
06-24-2005 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
PusherT Offline
1st String

TexanMark Wrote:I'm thinking 1/3 might push us over the edge. That is why everybody was so pissed at BC--it narrowed our safety cushion.
Pitt/WVU/SU have the most prestige and history left in the darn conference. I just can't believe those 3 would be satisfied unless the 9th memeber wasm't PSU,Maryland, ND

1. ND is most desirble
1b. PSU would be a very big coup and would keep SU/Pitt/WVU in place
3. Maryland- WVU would love it and Pitt/SU/UL wouldn't mind the terps.

Mike trangese needs to get PSU/Maryland. Basketball would be a boon for both schools and football would be very competive for both.

PSU,Maryland,ND
+
WVU,Pitt,SU,UL can make a nice "Core"
06-24-2005 12:39 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

First, stop all of these Expansion rumors. Let it all play out in the next couple of years.
06-24-2005 12:51 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:PSU,Maryland,ND
+
WVU,Pitt,SU,UL can make a nice "Core"

Not that I believe it has much shot at happening, but with the above you throw in BC, UConn, and Cincinnati and you have the makings of a great all-sports league.

Cheers,
Neil
06-24-2005 12:52 PM
Hollywood Aztec Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

PusherT Wrote:I just can't see the Big East staying alfoat for another 10 years. Just by bringing in PSU the Big East would be able to keep both Pitt/SU/WVU happy.

I think Big East needs to focus 100% on Maryland,PSU,ND in order of keeping WVU/Pitt/SU happy the "3" powers of the conference. If 2/3 of this group leave the Big East the BCS bid leaves
I can understand why you wish to satisfy Pitt, SU and WVU. This big three (plus Louisville) are now the pillars of Big East football. If one (or two) leaves, then their departure could have a domino effect, potentially resulting in a collapse of the BE's foundation. However, I think it is very unlikely that both Penn St. and Maryland will leave their respective conferences to join the Big East. Even though Penn St.'s football prowess has diminished since it joined the Big 10, I think they still see more of an upside being a part of this major league. I also doubt Maryland will do the "switcharoo" after ACC had just gone a major transformation. And as for Notre Dame, they will always remain the holy grail for both the Big 10 and the BE. But I think it's a well known fact that they're content with their independence in football.

To focus on satisfying Pitt, SU and WVU by concentrating on enticing Penn St., Maryland and ND to join is probably not the path to take. You may find yourselves spending too much energy on something that may never come to fruition. The attempt may be admirable but the result will be futile. Your potential to grow and become a great conference lies within your current members. Aside from the BE's big 4, Rutgers and UConn continue to improve whilst both Cincy and USF are making major strides for improvement as well. I think this is where every BE member should apply and direct their energy by proving your merit on the field against the Big 10, SEC and especially ACC. The BcS bid will continue to be there as long as you perform well against other fellow BcS teams. Play to win as opposed to playing not to lose.

I wish the BE all the best except of course when you play MWC teams. Good luck this season!
06-24-2005 01:07 PM
Advertisement

GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

I agree in that focusing on potential expansions as the ultimate solution is to ignore other, more important and possible actions that will preserve the conference.

First off, the BE is and likely always will be a more financially viable vehicle than other options. No one will coluntarily leave the conference for CUSA, MAC, etc. So, assuming the other BCS conferences don't go shopping, it's safe to say the members will remain where things are best off.

Secondly, their position enables them to still build from within. I've said from day 1 that the western bloc of Louisville, Cincy, Pitt and WVU have the makings of a fine football contingent. If Cincy shows any life at all there is a nice quartet with real regionalism yet national appeal. If an eastern counterpart could be developed with UConn, Cuse, Rutgers and one other then this discussion may not be needed, or at least would be less drastic. (Hence everyone's frustration with BC...)

Lastly, because of the points above (and others) the BE has time to work with the existing members and make sure the next move is thoughtful and coordinated. As I've said before, advertising their standards is a free way to encourage wannabe candidates to begin making progress to desired levels of programming.

I would also work with the NCAA, A-10 and others to assist in studying the A/AA alignment issues from the institutional standpoint. Helping the other regional conferences would not only allow the BE to (ahem) keep an eye on the competition, so to speak, but also determine the true vlaue of such candidates for upgrades and/or see what they would need to make the jump. ("Hello, Old Dominion? Mind if we look at your numbers?")
06-24-2005 03:16 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Jesus, can you please STOP with these threads! And the Big East will be just fine without PSU, Maryland and Notre Dame as full members.
06-24-2005 03:49 PM
Orlaco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Quote: the Big East will be just fine without PSU, Maryland and Notre Dame as full members.

Are you sure or are you just sorta hoping? I for one am hoping.

The NewBE clearly will be under a microscope, something a pre-raid ACC was allowed to avoid. Will WVU, Pitt, or SU leave if we don't get one of the three mentioned schools? Ummmm...no. If there was a better place to go they would have already left(as SU made extremely clear). If one becomes available---------:wave: :wave:

They will stay with the BE because the BE is the best available conference. Nothing more and nothing less.

I have heard enough of the 'up and coming' schools that the BE has added and the ones they still could bring in. THE FACT IS THAT WVU, SU, PITT, AND NOW 'VILLE HAVE TO STEP UP. If it doesn't happen then the BE is merely a stepping stone to a good football conference.

The BE got a BCS probation period. A gift for sure, but not one that is absolutely ours to keep.
06-24-2005 04:03 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

PusherT Wrote:I just can't see the Big East staying alfoat for another 10 years. Just by bringing in PSU the Big East would be able to keep both Pitt/SU/WVU happy.

Geez, it's not so much that we're already not going to survive when we haven't even played a game yet, but the new schools aren't even officially in the Big East, for crying out loud. Can we jump to any more conclusions without having a single shred of evidence?

USFFan
06-24-2005 04:29 PM
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Let's play the games and see how the current NBE works out. I am not Miss Cleo or anything, but how do we know PSU, MD, or ND will be good 10 years from now? Maryland's football and basketball program of the late 80s were in the pits of the NCAA and PSU has not done anything recently in any sport besides womens basketball. Yes, there are problems with the NBE and its membership for football, but we are not on the deathbed yet. Just win and that will take care of everything.
06-24-2005 04:57 PM
Advertisement

Orlaco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Quote:Let's play the games and see how the current NBE works out

OK, I happen to agree. I just understand that we have no choice.

Go to any 'less than the best' conference forum and you will read the same. Go to the ACC or Big10 forum and I bet you won't find a similar post.

I am not a hater. I love WVU and I hope the BE can survive. I just CAN'T pretend that tough times are indeed not ahead.

The wait and see attitude put the BE where it currently stands.
06-24-2005 06:30 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &

I really think any expansion plan that begins with Maryland is doomed to fail. Regardless of the rivalry or geographic sensibility of the move, Maryland cannot risk leaving the ACC for the Big East (unless by some act of God Penn State and Notre Dame were commited to join). Notre Dame isn't joining either unless some scenario I can't fathom materializes. The Big East's best hope is that Joe Pa retires and Penn State decides it wants a chance to compete on it's own turf. I'm not holding my breath. Here's to hoping Memphis, or ECU, or UMASS, or NOVA....Somebody steps up and gives the Eastern Athletic Conference it's 9th member, "cuz we ain't goin' past nine"!
06-25-2005 01:09 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

We...as BE football fans...need to stop looking for another schools to ride in and save us. ND is taking steps away from joining a conference not the other way around, Maryland would have probably jumped in the late 70s and early 80s when Lefty Dreisel and the Carolina schools hated each other but those days are gone, BC burned so many bridges on the way out I'm not sure they would get enough votes to be readmitted if the Eagles wanted to come back (which they certainly don't)

-- now there may be a slight chance for Penn St.....from what I have been able to read the Big 10 really like the way the Pac 10 plays a round robin schedule in football and PSU is unhappy with the atheletic aspect of that conference, and maybe once Joe Pa retires we can reason with his successor...that is a lot of "ifs", "ands" and "maybes" friends so I wouldn't be counting on that either

-- Couple things to keep in mind....First is that we don't need saving...the BCS is safe as long as we meet our requiments just like every other BCS league...we will never be the SEC or the NACC...but I think in time and with a solid 9th member we could pass the Pac 10 by....Secondly..there should be some decent expansion candidats for #9 even if the so called big boys don't want in....Memphis may be a little far south/west for some of us but in many other ways they fit the profile of what we are looking for to a tee right now

Jackson
06-25-2005 08:07 AM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:We...as BE football fans...need to stop looking for another schools to ride in and save us. ND is taking steps away from joining a conference not the other way around, Maryland would have probably jumped in the late 70s and early 80s when Lefty Dreisel and the Carolina schools hated each other but those days are gone, BC burned so many bridges on the way out I'm not sure they would get enough votes to be readmitted if the Eagles wanted to come back (which they certainly don't)

-- now there may be a slight chance for Penn St.....from what I have been able to read the Big 10 really like the way the Pac 10 plays a round robin schedule in football and PSU is unhappy with the atheletic aspect of that conference, and maybe once Joe Pa retires we can reason with his successor...that is a lot of "ifs", "ands" and "maybes" friends so I wouldn't be counting on that either

-- Couple things to keep in mind....First is that we don't need saving...the BCS is safe as long as we meet our requiments just like every other BCS league...we will never be the SEC or the NACC...but I think in time and with a solid 9th member we could pass the Pac 10 by....Secondly..there should be some decent expansion candidats for #9 even if the so called big boys don't want in....Memphis may be a little far south/west for some of us but in many other ways they fit the profile of what we are looking for to a tee right now

Jackson
Everyone talking about ND, PSU, and now MD is like beating one's head against the wall. If any of them wanted to come, we would have space. Let's just forget them unless they indicate otherwise.

What we can control is the admission of schools who might like to come.

I agree with Jackson that Memphis fits the profile of what we need right now. That could change in a few years, but for now, Memphis is quite attractive.

TIME ZONE/DISTANCE: The P10, B12, B10, and SEC all cover 2 time zones, and they all cover comparable distances. This is no obstacle at all. They are also a contiguous state, which I like. The 4 afore-mentioned conferences also consist of contiguous states.

ACADEMICS: Memphis is a fully accredited NATIONAL university ranked as doctoral/extensive. Their academics are fine for our purposes.

ATTENDANCE: Their fb attendance was in the top 1/2 of all schools last year, #54, above every BIG EAST school except WVU and PITT. Their bb attendance is in the top 5, I believe.

NATIONAL RECOGNITION: THE BB PROGRAM has long been one of the best. FB is relatively new, but they do have a legitimate Heisman candidate this year.

RIVALRY: Many contend that LOU doesn't want them, yet I see many LOU posters who do want them.

POPULATION CENTER: Memphis is the 44th ranked population center with over a million people. Let me point out that I think population is an overranked category when talking fb.

I truly believe that we need 9, preferably 10, members within the next 2 years. Memphis is definitely a viable candidate.
06-25-2005 08:39 AM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

Navy is a smarter choice.

Football only until (if) the split ever comes. Navy has better national appeal, and Navy can potentially recruit better than Memphis too. Navy is also smack dab in the middle of our footprint.

But it's all moot anyway.

Let's just play the games and see what happens. But adding just to add would be stupid.
06-25-2005 09:33 AM
Advertisement

JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Bearcat 1984 Wrote:Navy is a smarter choice.

Football only until (if) the split ever comes. Navy has better national appeal, and Navy can potentially recruit better than Memphis too. Navy is also smack dab in the middle of our footprint.

But it's all moot anyway.

Let's just play the games and see what happens. But adding just to add would be stupid.
Actually, Navy and Memphis are my 2 choices!
06-25-2005 10:04 AM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

I'm not convinced about Memphis. Too far out there in my opinion. And also a different culture. I guess we'll see.

I think Army in theory would be a good add along with Navy. The problem has been that Army's program has been so moribund for so long, much longer than ECU. Navy seems to have turned the corner to returning to respectability, but Army's not there. However, I could see conditions existing by 2010 or 2011 where Army could be a good addition.

At the moment, though, I think Navy for football as soon as possible.

Actually, if Navy had concerns about the schedule, I would be willing to offer a package deal with Army and Navy together, where each of them would play 4 of our schools each year, and then flip flop. That wouldn't be as taxing on them (especially Army) and it would give us a predictable 8th game.

Still, if I had my pick it would be add Navy full time.
06-25-2005 10:43 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

I don't think it is an issue of schools like Memphis, ECU or UCF having to step up to get into the BE. The teams in the BE has to step up and show that losing Miami, Va Tech and BC did not hurt this conference from an image and national respect standpoint.

Before looking for other teams to enhance this conference the current teams need to do it first.

Like another poster said, it's one thing to throw out stats and make comparisons. It's another thing when you prove it on the field. When the BE does that with the current setup of teams only then will they be viewed as a legitmate BCS conference.

At least you got the chance to prove it unlike CUSA or the MWC.
06-25-2005 01:32 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

HiddenDragon Wrote:I don't think it is an issue of schools like Memphis, ECU or UCF having to step up to get into the BE. The teams in the BE has to step up and show that losing Miami, Va Tech and BC did not hurt this conference from an image and national respect standpoint.

Before looking for other teams to enhance this conference the current teams need to do it first.

Like another poster said, it's one thing to throw out stats and make comparisons. It's another thing when you prove it on the field. When the BE does that with the current setup of teams only then will they be viewed as a legitmate BCS conference.

At least you got the chance to prove it unlike CUSA or the MWC.
The Big East will be fine regardless. The BCS powers that be have invented some rules to protect us. There is no hand wringing on that front. Our concern is stability within the conference and adding an all-sports member that brings value.
06-25-2005 01:56 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.