Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC with 7 teams 4-3 or better
Bookmark and Share
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
MAC with 7 teams 4-3 or better
Looks like the MAC could have several teams get bowl elgible.
Temple 5-2 and six others at 4-3. Temple and Toledo the drivers seat for the MAC title game. Miami is currently alone in second place in the East despite just 2 overall wins. Ohio second meltdown in a row hands the East to Temple.
10-15-2011 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

niubrad00 Offline
Boss

I Root For: NIU
RE: MAC with 7 teams 4-3 or better
So the MACC is Temple vs. .......well, let's see, hmmm.......well, anyone but CMU I guess.
10-15-2011 07:28 PM
Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
(10-15-2011 07:28 PM)niubrad00 Wrote:  So the MACC is Temple vs. .......well, let's see, hmmm.......well, anyone but CMU I guess.

lol that's awesome.
10-16-2011 11:12 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(10-15-2011 06:11 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Ohio second meltdown in a row hands the East to Temple.

Ohio is definitely down. Down but not out.

Ohio has Akron this week. They beat Akron and then have a week and a half to prepare for Temple at home.

The game will be on ESPN and the crowd will be going bananas during the "Blackout". Atmosphere should be excellent.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 05:10 PM by Louis Kitton.)
10-17-2011 05:09 PM
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-17-2011 05:09 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(10-15-2011 06:11 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Ohio second meltdown in a row hands the East to Temple.

Ohio has Akron this week. They beat Akron and then have a week and a half to prepare for Temple at home.

The game will be on ESPN and the crowd will be going bananas during the "Blackout". Atmosphere should be excellent.

Temple also has a week and a half to prepare for Ohio...Hopefully this is the year Temple actually wins a game with something on the line... Still have to beat BG first...
10-17-2011 05:36 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2011 06:11 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Looks like the MAC could have several teams get bowl elgible.
Temple 5-2 and six others at 4-3.

Some of the biggest news from last Saturday is that Temple is looking more like a MAC Championship type of team after shutting 2 MAC opponents out while Toledo struggled on the road in BG. I know Temple had the wind knocked out of them by Toledo but its tough to beat a team twice in one season.

So figuring the bowls with Temple at the top.

1. Temple 11-2 (GMAC)
2. Toledo 9-4 (Pizza)
3. WMU 8-4 (Boise)
4. NIU 8-4 (San Fran)
5. Ohio 7-5 (DC)

I'm being generous with Ohio as they haven't played well in the MAC for the last 3 games. They'll need to go 3-2 to make my prediction of 7-5 come true (Miami, Akron and one of Temple/BG/CMU).

For the other schools I see BG finishing about 5-7 with tough games against Temple, NIU, Ohio and @Buffalo. That is a tough way for a young BG team to finish the season. There might be 2 more wins for Ball State with EMU and CMU on the docket, probably not 3.

EMU believe it or not actually has a chance at 7 wins with Ball State, Kent State and Buffalo all on the schedule. Eastern needs 7 wins to become bowl eligible because they played 2 FCS opponents this season. However the 7-5 overall record and the fact they haven't been a bowl for 20 seasons may play well with bowl organizers.
10-17-2011 05:59 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2011 05:36 PM)templefan1 Wrote:  
(10-17-2011 05:09 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  

Temple also has a week and a half to prepare for Ohio...Hopefully this is the year Temple actually wins a game with something on the line... Still have to beat BG first...

The sagarin ratings have Temple at about 10 point favorites going into the Ohio game.

National Offense/Defense National Rank:

Offensive PPG
Temple 31.4 (42nd)
Ohio 31.1 (44th)

Defensive PPG
Temple 9.6 (2nd)
Ohio 20.4 (26th)

Ohio will probably make things interesting for 3 quarters vs. Temple just because it has the kind of offense capable of breaking down good defenses.

Ohio will need +2 in the turnover margin to have any shot at winning. They'll definitely be motivated for Temple as pretty much the season is on the line.
10-17-2011 06:18 PM
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
(10-17-2011 05:59 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Some of the biggest news from last Saturday is that Temple is looking more like a MAC Championship type of team after shutting 2 MAC opponents out while Toledo struggled on the road in BG.

you know those two teams they beat were Ball State and Buffalo, right? They must be world beaters...
10-17-2011 07:32 PM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
(10-17-2011 07:32 PM)Shrakkrocket Wrote:  
(10-17-2011 05:59 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Some of the biggest news from last Saturday is that Temple is looking more like a MAC Championship type of team after shutting 2 MAC opponents out while Toledo struggled on the road in BG.

you know those two teams they beat were Ball State and Buffalo, right? They must be world beaters...

I can tell when Toledo is having a good year. The arrogance shines bright like the sun.

You dismiss the fact that Temple has held teams scoreless for 8 straight quarters yet Toledo's defense has given up 16 points and 21 points respectively to EMU and BGSU. With all due respect, that doesn't UT "world beaters" either.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 09:02 PM by Frozenbaugh.)
10-17-2011 08:20 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(10-17-2011 08:20 PM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  

I can tell when Toledo is having a good year. The arrogance shines bright like the sun.

You dismiss the fact that Temple has held teams scoreless for 8 straight quarters yet Toledo's defense has given up 16 points and 21 points respectively to EMU and BGSU. With all due respect, that doesn't UT "world beaters" either.

EMU has a better offense than ball state and buffalo probably lol.
And bgSUCKS scored on a kick return so that's not the defense. Technically only gave up 14 from the D. In a rivalry game on the road, any win is good. Just like temple has had problems with OU, even though temple was prolly better? Same thing with BG, all games are hard fought, add in 50 mph winds. A lot of teams would have problems passing, and on the other side of it trying to defend weird ass pass plays.
And we stopped Pierce and company to 13. So we're capable of playing good defense. Also temple gave up 36 to Toledo so they are capable of breaking down when they play good offenses. None of the teams they have played in the MAC are good offensive teams. WMU, NIU, Toledo, temple, and emu are the teams all better known for O than D.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 09:55 PM by UofToledoFans.)
10-17-2011 09:51 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Am I correct in thinking that the only win the east has againat the west is Temple's over BSU? I really thought this might be the year that some parity existed but it looks like the West is dominant. Temple is making a strong charge but there really sin't another tema in the East that has shown anything in conference play.
10-17-2011 09:57 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2011 09:57 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Am I correct in thinking that the only win the east has againat the west is Temple's over BSU? I really thought this might be the year that some parity existed but it looks like the West is dominant. Temple is making a strong charge but there really sin't another tema in the East that has shown anything in conference play.

I hate to say it but bg got screwed having Toledo, WMU, and NIU in the same year... Same thing with emu but the opposite way, they got KSU,, Akron, and buffalo lol.
10-17-2011 10:14 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo

I remember a few years back when Toledo was giving up 38 points per game. The fact that they are only giving up 24 points per game this year, and gave up just 16 and 21 points in their last two games (just 17 points per game against MAC opponents in three games) is great news to me. Toledo's defense has really improved from what it was when Amstutz left the program.

As for the comments about Temple and Toledo. Temple has the best defense in the MAC, no question. But you can't just look at defense. Temple is a running team that really can't throw the ball. If you stop their running game they are in trouble, but have that great defense to help them out. Toledo is better defensively than in the pass and is good against the run, but gives up a lot of yards and points against the pass. But Toledo has one of the better offenses in the MAC.

Seems to me that Toledo is a pretty good team too. Let's not forget that Toledo had 6 starters out for the BG game, and 20 different players listed on their injury report for the game. It was also a rivalry game at BG. With Toledo's win, the road team has just won for the 3rd time since 1998. That's right, the home team is 11-3 in the last 14 games in the series. It's tough to win on the road in the UT/BG rivalry. It should be noted that Toledo had a 28-14 lead with 1:30 left in the game, but BG returned a kick for a TD.

All of this said, the MAC West is much stronger than the East and I have no clue if Toledo will even make the MACC Game. I would be shocked if Temple didn't make the MACC Game though.
10-17-2011 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(10-17-2011 09:51 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  WMU, NIU, Toledo, temple, and emu are the teams all better known for O than D.

While I think they are inconsistent, I do think that BG has a good offense. They are capable of putting points up on the board in the MAC. They are only 1-2 right now because they had to play WMU and UT. But let's not forget that they beat Miami 37-23. I know that Miami is playing very well this year, but 37 points against Miami's defense is pretty good. It's the most points Miami has given up all year. They only gave up 17 to Missouri and 27 to Cincinnati. Cincy's got a good offense, but BG still put up 10 more points than Cincy did against Miami.

Don't sleep on BG. They have trouble stopping the run defensively, but the offense isn't bad. Playing Temple next week is gonna be a train wreck, IMO, because BG can't stop the run and that is Temple's bread and butter. But then BG's last four games they will put points up against each team......probably losing to NIU and maybe Ohio. I think they beat Kent State and Buffalo, and quite possibly Ohio to go 4-4 in the MAC and making them 6-6 for the season.
10-17-2011 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2011 10:45 PM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  
(10-17-2011 09:51 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  WMU, NIU, Toledo, temple, and emu are the teams all better known for O than D.

While I think they are inconsistent, I do think that BG has a good offense. They are capable of putting points up on the board in the MAC. They are only 1-2 right now because they had to play WMU and UT. But let's not forget that they beat Miami 37-23. I know that Miami is playing very well this year, but 37 points against Miami's defense is pretty good. It's the most points Miami has given up all year. They only gave up 17 to Missouri and 27 to Cincinnati. Cincy's got a good offense, but BG still put up 10 more points than Cincy did against Miami.

Don't sleep on BG. They have trouble stopping the run defensively, but the offense isn't bad. Playing Temple next week is gonna be a train wreck, IMO, because BG can't stop the run and that is Temple's bread and butter. But then BG's last four games they will put points up against each team......probably losing to NIU and maybe Ohio. I think they beat Kent State and Buffalo, and quite possibly Ohio to go 4-4 in the MAC and making them 6-6 for the season.

Yep, I have them at 6-6 also. I think bg has an okay offense, it's fair to say that their O is better than their D. Looking back at our game against them it's hard to judge. A hair Mary TD, a trick play to lead to a score. A missed field goal. And a kick return for a TD. But they could move the ball by passing over the middle. That's part due to Toledo's defense sucking over the middle, but they did get into the red zone a lot. Toledo is lucky they have a good redZone D.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 11:16 PM by UofToledoFans.)
10-17-2011 11:14 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
BGSU taking down Temple Saturday in route to a East division championship
10-18-2011 01:29 AM
Advertisement

Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

(10-17-2011 09:51 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

And bgSUCKS scored on a kick return so that's not the defense. Technically only gave up 14 from the D. In a rivalry game on the road, any win is good. Just like temple has had problems with OU, even though temple was prolly better? Same thing with BG, all games are hard fought, add in 50 mph winds. A lot of teams would have problems passing, and on the other side of it trying to defend weird ass pass plays.
And we stopped Pierce and company to 13. So we're capable of playing good defense. Also temple gave up 36 to Toledo so they are capable of breaking down when they play good offenses. None of the teams they have played in the MAC are good offensive teams. WMU, NIU, Toledo, temple, and emu are the teams all better known for O than D.

Are you throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks? You say EMU has a better offense than BSU or Buffalo. How do you come to this conclusion? EMU averages 1 point more per game. EMU might be good. I don't know because I haven't seen them play. However, I would think OU (the other one) and South Florida on BSU's schedule probably factors in just bit?
10-18-2011 04:23 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-18-2011 01:29 AM)owen Wrote:  BGSU taking down Temple Saturday in route to a East division championship

Will. Not. Happen.
10-18-2011 05:54 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2011 04:23 AM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  
(10-17-2011 09:51 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

And we stopped Pierce and company to 13. So we're capable of playing good defense. Also temple gave up 36 to Toledo so they are capable of breaking down
when they play good offenses. None of the teams they have played in the MAC are good offensive teams. WMU, NIU, Toledo, temple, and emu are the teams all better known for O than D.

Are you throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks? You say EMU has a better offense than BSU or Buffalo. How do you come to this conclusion? EMU averages 1 point more per game. EMU might be good. I don't know because I haven't seen them play. However, I would think OU (the other one) and South Florida on BSU's schedule probably factors in just bit?

I think ball state will beat emu but emu has a better offense than their defense yes. Ball state is better defensively than offensively. Emu has a good QB, and a top 5 MAC running game. The rest of it isn't there yet, but if they have one more point scored than buff and ball state? Doesn't that mean they have a better O? I know their schedule is weaker, but TCU played a weak schedule last year and beat Wisconsin. Until they play each other we don't know who has the better offense.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 07:54 AM by UofToledoFans.)
10-18-2011 07:20 AM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I went and looked at the sagarin rankings for SOS. Umm, EMU is averaging 1 more point per game with the 106th strongest schedule than BSU with the 58th. So, deep down, you know that answer.

It goes back to what my main point was. Holding 2 teams scoreless over 8 quarters is pretty damn good and Toledo played EMU and BGSU over those same two games. It's not like Temple played the Sisters of the Poor and Toledo had absolute grudge matches. I am not disparaging the Toledo defense by any means. But, 0 points over 8 quarters is good.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 07:40 AM by Frozenbaugh.)
10-18-2011 07:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.