Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article: BE bowl update
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Mitch Vingle

‘Flex plan’ could save Big East piece of Gator Bowl

GATOR BOWL president Rick Catlett has a flex plan.

One that could give the Big East some bowl muscle — as well as a continued relationship with the Jacksonville bowl.

But only if — and this here is a big ‘if’ — he can turn that plan into reality.

Here’s the deal. As you’ve read in this space, bowl negotiations are currently ongoing for the 2006 season and beyond.

The negotiation that is expected to send dominos flying across college football’s landscape is that involving the Capital One Bowl, featuring the No. 2 teams from the SEC and Big Ten on ABC. Word is, the negotiations are intense over ABC’s lead-in to the Rose Bowl.

This impacts the Big East because if ABC pulls the plug on the Capital One Bowl (the negotiating period of exclusivity ends on Thursday), the Gator will move fast to lure the Big Ten No. 2 to play the Atlantic Coast Conference’s No. 2.

“We’re trying to stay open until ABC reaches an agreement with the Capital One,’’ Catlett said Tuesday by phone. “I want to remain flexible enough to possibly have the ACC and Big Ten.

“That said, I don’t think we’ll have that. I’d say our chances are slim and none.’’

He said he believes ABC and the Capital One Bowl reps will eventually come to an agreement. If that happens, Catlett will turn to the Big 12 and Big East. And, he hopes, get both conferences in the aforementioned flex plan.

“Clearly we have the Big East opportunity,’’ Catlett said. “Clearly we have the Big 12 opportunity. I’m hoping when all is said and done, there will be a pooling of teams to allow for flexibility.’’

Catlett said he’s been preaching flexibility for years. He pointed to the back-to-back trips West Virginia fans made to Jacksonville following their Mountaineers. (“You could feel it,’’ Catlett said. “They didn’t quite have the enthusiasm the second time down.’’)

So the Gator Bowl president has made it his “first priority’’ to negotiate a two-bowl, three-conference setup. He’d like to work with the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. Both have ACC teams as their anchors.

Catlett proposes the Gator and Champs Sports take Big East teams twice in four years and Big 12 teams the other two years.

“If I can get everybody to agree to it,’’ Catlett said. “I’ve been trying . . . I think there’s a possibility. We’ll just have to wait to see how it plays out.’’

Flexibility. The idea that could save at least a piece of the prestigious bowl for the Big East.

“I’ve been saying for years the repetitiveness of bowls is going to kill us,’’ Catlett said. “I think I can get it done this year.’’

What could kill that dream

is if Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney gives the Champs Sports Bowl his league’s No. 4 team. Those in Orlando would take that in a heartbeat over a Big East-Big 12 rotation.

Then?

“The Big East is going to end up in either my bowl, the Champs Sports or the Sun,’’ Catlett predicted.

The Sun would be the Big East’s fallback bowl. Currently, the Sun matches the Big Ten No. 5 and the Pac-10 No. 3.
07-06-2005 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

This is getting ridiculas. All those conference tie-ins is such BS. Why dont all the bowls just lineup in some sort of pecking order and pick teams from the entire NCAA pool one after the another? If not, please let playoff be here soon cause there are more politics in the bowl BS than the actual games. We fans just want to watch good college football games.
07-06-2005 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

SF Husky Wrote:This is getting ridiculas. All those conference tie-ins is such BS. Why dont all the bowls just lineup in some sort of pecking order and pick teams from the entire NCAA pool one after the another? If not, please let playoff be here soon cause there are more politics in the bowl BS than the actual games. We fans just want to watch good college football games.
I kinda like that idea actually. Maybe we have the bowls use the top 56 teams in the BCS standings to fill out the bowls. The top 10 will play in the BCS bowls also according to AQ status of their conference or not. It'd make for more interesting matchups and solve alot of the political crap.

Another idea would be to setup a 12 team playoff format like that of the NFL playoffs. That would make big bucks and solve the playoff issue without it getting too unwieldly.
07-06-2005 12:31 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

OK,
you've got two bowls and four conferences. The ACC, Big 12, Big 10, and Big E. If you really want a flex plan why would you not Make the Gator the "A" bowl and Champs the "B" bowl. Take the #2 teams from the ACC, Big 12, and BE along with the #4 Big 10 team. The two teams with the highest BCS rating go to the Gator every year, the other two go to the Champs bowl. No one is locked in and the Gator gets a pretty good bowl year in and year out. I honestly think this year our top two teams will match up well with anyone and by next year our top three will. The reason it won't work is because the ACC is tied into both bowls so the Gator should start looking for another bowl to partner with.
07-06-2005 12:32 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Here is the link to give credit to the writer/newspaper:

<a href='http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/200507063' target='_blank'>http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/200507063</a>
07-06-2005 12:49 PM
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Champs Sport, Gator, Sun, Insight,Tire not a bad lineup. The big East + Nore Dame should come out good in this
07-06-2005 12:56 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn

The Sun Bowl? Big East fans already complain about the Insight Bowl. I can't see many being happy about the Sun Bowl. Nor can I see CBS or the people in El Paso being happy about such a change.

The Big East will be better off if this proposed Gator / Champs combination comes to fruition. For that matter, the Big East will be better off if the Insight / Music City combination comes to fruition too.

SFHusky and Brista, unfortunately we know the bowl drafting idea, while a great one, will never happen. Too much ego and old boy stuff involved.

Cardtopper, the other alternative would be to send the ACC to the Sun Bowl, thus making your scenario possible, but I doubt they'd want to do it.
07-06-2005 02:18 PM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Word down here is that the Big 12 will be in the Gator, not in the Champs. Big 12 final list will include Holiday, Cotton, Sun, Gator, Insight, Alamo and Houston. they will drop the Ft Worth and Independence. This will put the Houston bowl at the bottom of the Big 12 heap and will mean they will get a team about half the time.
Might mean a Champs spot for the Big east and possibly an Independence as well. That said, who knows.
07-06-2005 03:12 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

The Big East needs to be in as many eastern bowl games as possible.

I could very easily see a lot of UC fans traveling to Nashville for a Music City Bowl. UC took over 10000 twice to the Motor City Bowl - they would definitely make a comparable drive to Nashville for what is possibly a better bowl game.
07-06-2005 03:49 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

I like this setup, and it appears that the Big East and Big 12 have signed off on it, so if this becomes reality then it is a MAJOR coup for the Big East. The Big East goes from losing the Gator Bowl and having their #2 exclusively in the Champs Bowl, to being in the Gator AND Champs Bowl! And it gives the conference a chance to prove itself. I like it ! 04-cheers 04-cheers
07-06-2005 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

It will also be interesting to see if the Big 12 and BE also "share" the music city and Inisight bowls......that could be a very good arrangment as well for the two conferences

Jackson
07-06-2005 04:52 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:I like this setup, and it appears that the Big East and Big 12 have signed off on it, so if this becomes reality then it is a MAJOR coup for the Big East. The Big East goes from losing the Gator Bowl and having their #2 exclusively in the Champs Bowl, to being in the Gator AND Champs Bowl! And it gives the conference a chance to prove itself. I like it ! 04-cheers 04-cheers
It makes perfect sense. The BE+ND have much to offer Eastern bowls. The blabber-mouths on message boards and media pundits were too quick to heap dirt on the Big East. Most of that sentiment was born of spite from outlets that would have liked to have seen the conference disintegrate. (see MWC, ACC, CUSA fans, etc)
07-06-2005 09:39 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

So Jackson or someone,

What would be the bowl line-up if this scenario happens?
07-06-2005 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Jackson1011 Wrote:Mitch Vingle

‘Flex plan’ could save Big East piece of Gator Bowl

GATOR BOWL president Rick Catlett has a flex plan.

One that could give the Big East some bowl muscle — as well as a continued relationship with the Jacksonville bowl.

But only if — and this here is a big ‘if’ — he can turn that plan into reality.

Here’s the deal. As you’ve read in this space, bowl negotiations are currently ongoing for the 2006 season and beyond.

The negotiation that is expected to send dominos flying across college football’s landscape is that involving the Capital One Bowl, featuring the No. 2 teams from the SEC and Big Ten on ABC. Word is, the negotiations are intense over ABC’s lead-in to the Rose Bowl.

This impacts the Big East because if ABC pulls the plug on the Capital One Bowl (the negotiating period of exclusivity ends on Thursday), the Gator will move fast to lure the Big Ten No. 2 to play the Atlantic Coast Conference’s No. 2.

“We’re trying to stay open until ABC reaches an agreement with the Capital One,’’ Catlett said Tuesday by phone. “I want to remain flexible enough to possibly have the ACC and Big Ten.

“That said, I don’t think we’ll have that. I’d say our chances are slim and none.’’

He said he believes ABC and the Capital One Bowl reps will eventually come to an agreement. If that happens, Catlett will turn to the Big 12 and Big East. And, he hopes, get both conferences in the aforementioned flex plan.

“Clearly we have the Big East opportunity,’’ Catlett said. “Clearly we have the Big 12 opportunity. I’m hoping when all is said and done, there will be a pooling of teams to allow for flexibility.’’

Catlett said he’s been preaching flexibility for years. He pointed to the back-to-back trips West Virginia fans made to Jacksonville following their Mountaineers. (“You could feel it,’’ Catlett said. “They didn’t quite have the enthusiasm the second time down.’’)

So the Gator Bowl president has made it his “first priority’’ to negotiate a two-bowl, three-conference setup. He’d like to work with the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. Both have ACC teams as their anchors.

Catlett proposes the Gator and Champs Sports take Big East teams twice in four years and Big 12 teams the other two years.

“If I can get everybody to agree to it,’’ Catlett said. “I’ve been trying . . . I think there’s a possibility. We’ll just have to wait to see how it plays out.’’

Flexibility. The idea that could save at least a piece of the prestigious bowl for the Big East.

“I’ve been saying for years the repetitiveness of bowls is going to kill us,’’ Catlett said. “I think I can get it done this year.’’

What could kill that dream

is if Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney gives the Champs Sports Bowl his league’s No. 4 team. Those in Orlando would take that in a heartbeat over a Big East-Big 12 rotation.

Then?

“The Big East is going to end up in either my bowl, the Champs Sports or the Sun,’’ Catlett predicted.

The Sun would be the Big East’s fallback bowl. Currently, the Sun matches the Big Ten No. 5 and the Pac-10 No. 3.
Forget about the Sun Bowl. It is pretty much a done deal that it will drop the Big-10 and replace it with the Big-12 but keep the Pac-10 so it will be Pac-10 vs Big-12. The only way people here would be even remotely happy with the Big East is if they agreed to send Notre Dame every year.
07-06-2005 11:52 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn

The writer of that article was probably just trying to guess the dominos and reached on that Sun Bowl stuff. No official has ever said the Big East could end up there. The Sun Bowl doesn't want the Big East and the Big East doesn't want the Sun Bowl. Now as for the potential bowl line-up ...

1) BCS
2) Gator / Champs
3) Insight / Music City
4) Muffler

... The Big East also has back-up deals with the Motor City and maybe another bowl. If the conference reaches its full potential, however, four bowls won't be enough. There aren't many more bowl slots available for renegotiation either. That's why it's crucial that the Big East start its own bowls.

5) Tampa #2
6) Toronto

The leadership of the conference office and the Big East football schools need to make these two bowls happen as soon as possible. The Big Apple Bowl idea is dead in the water right now. But Tampa and Toronto are both attainable. Those two plus the BCS secure half of the needs alone.
07-07-2005 04:49 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:The writer of that article was probably just trying to guess the dominos and reached on that Sun Bowl stuff. No official has ever said the Big East could end up there. The Sun Bowl doesn't want the Big East and the Big East doesn't want the Sun Bowl. Now as for the potential bowl line-up ...

1) BCS
2) Gator / Champs
3) Insight / Music City
4) Muffler

--- I really like what the Big East/ND and the Big 12 are doing with the bowl situioan...its always good to have variety for the secondary bowls

Jackson
07-07-2005 06:13 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.