Bookmark and Share
Nellie Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats/NKU
Arkeilpane: UC is ‘fully engaged’ in conference realignment situation
Breath easy...we have it under control03-banghead

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2011/10/0...situation/

Arkeilpane: UC is ‘fully engaged’ in conference realignment situation

This statement was just released from Bob Arkeilpane, UC’s interim athletic director, in response to today’s news that TCU has decided to join the Big 12 Conference rather than join the Big East next year, as it was scheduled to do.

“Without divulging confidential information, please know that we are fully engaged in the conference realignment situation. Our top priority is to remain in the Big East Conference. But we are actively assessing the variables in conference realignment even before they come to light. UC approaches this from a very strong position academically, athletically and on the strength of the Cincinnati region. UC is a top 25 public research university, with 11 programs ranked in the top 10 nationally. In athletics, we have been the BCS representative for the Big East in football for two of the last three years and our men’s basketball team played in the NCAA tournament. Our region is home to nine Fortune 500 companies and our media market is the 34th largest in the country.”

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 03:30 PM by Nellie.)
10-06-2011 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: Arkeilpane: UC is ‘fully engaged’ in conference realignment situation
What else do you want him to say? If there is no Big 12 invite then we have to rebuild the Big East or join a new conference.

10-06-2011 03:31 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Unfortunately, I think we're the only university who whose 'top priority is to remain in the Big East.' The reality is that there probably isn't much that can be done by UC this late in the game.

10-06-2011 03:56 PM
mbl95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 03:56 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Unfortunately, I think we're the only university who whose 'top priority is to remain in the Big East.' The reality is that there probably isn't much that can be done by UC this late in the game.

Agree. WVU, UofL, UCONN, Rutgers...........all those schools don't come out and say "Our top priority is to remain in the Big East". And I'll wager a lot of money, those other schools are doing MORE to proactively get out of the Big East than we are. If this truly is our top priority, I have no doubt that we will succeed in achieving this goal. Us and USF will remain in the Big East......along w/ the BB only schools.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 04:06 PM by mbl95.)
10-06-2011 04:05 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
WTF do you want him to do? Dump his only date to the barn dance before he has another one (when there might not be another one)?

10-06-2011 04:11 PM
mbl95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 04:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  WTF do you want him to do? Dump his only date to the barn dance before he has another one (when there might not be another one)?

If you're saying the Big East is his date........he should realize his date to the barn dance is actually a pig, not a girl, and that he looks foolish by putting out public statements saying he's sticking w/ the girl. Everyone and their brother realizes the Big East is toast. Even Pitino, who has been lobbying like hell to save the Beast was out today w/ a comment that he's sad to see it "end this way". So, the point is he looks STUPID to continue to throw out that our hope is with the Big East. Your better off saying what UofL and WVU are saying.......a more neutral type statement. Of course if we really have no hope to get in the Big 12 at all.......I'm not sure why he's also "hinting" that we're analyzing all variables......then why elevate people's hope that there is "another girl"??

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 04:29 PM by mbl95.)
10-06-2011 04:21 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 04:05 PM)mbl95 Wrote:  
(10-06-2011 03:56 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Unfortunately, I think we're the only university who whose 'top priority is to remain in the Big East.' The reality is that there probably isn't much that can be done by UC this late in the game.

Agree. WVU, UofL, UCONN, Rutgers...........all those schools don't come out and say "Our top priority is to remain in the Big East". And I'll wager a lot of money, those other schools are doing MORE to proactively get out of the Big East than we are. If this truly is our top priority, I have no doubt that we will succeed in achieving this goal. Us and USF will remain in the Big East......along w/ the BB only schools.

Link?

10-06-2011 04:26 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
About that...Since the conference meetings last week Jurich at UL has been saying the Big East is where he wants to be, etc. We all know its horse crap. Gotta play the game, though.

10-06-2011 04:27 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
Neither we nor U of L nor WVU is a very good fit for the B12. People need to turn down the hysteria.

I do think that Pres. Williams actually cares about UC athletics. It's just a damned shape that we were stuck with MT over the past two years when he was, in retrospect, looking out for himself rather than doing his job.

10-06-2011 04:32 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Rath - its just the Cincinnati mentality. If people here are not unhappy they are not happy.

10-06-2011 04:34 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
Translation: "We're toast".03-hissyfit

10-06-2011 04:34 PM
Advertisement

mbl95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 04:26 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  

Link?

If you're asking for a link on how other schools respond.....here's one from WVU AD Oliver Luck after Pitt/Syracuse bolted...

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvu.cfm?func=...ryid=47907

10-06-2011 04:38 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Pitino's a coach, not a President. You don't talk sh*t about your current conference without having an official membership offer from another one. It's common sense.

THE BearcatBrent Offline
Nancy WAS wrong.................

I Root For: who I want

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 04:38 PM)mbl95 Wrote:  
(10-06-2011 04:26 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  

Link?

If you're asking for a link on how other schools respond.....here's one from WVU AD Oliver Luck after Pitt/Syracuse bolted...

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvu.cfm?func=...ryid=47907

Link to back up your comment "other schools are doing MORE to proactively get out of the Big East than we are."

10-06-2011 04:58 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(10-06-2011 04:34 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  Rath - its just the Cincinnati mentality. If people here are not unhappy they are not happy.

Please tell me what exactly about this situation makes you happy?

I don't think that we're out of contention for the Big 12, but that's our only play or we are F'd. If you really think that the Big East can keep AQ status by adding Navy and AF you're out of your mind and you have paid no attention to the direction of college football. The powers that be are NOT NOT LOOKING TO INCLUDE MORE TEAMS, THEY WANT TO ELIMINATE THEM.

10-06-2011 05:08 PM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(10-06-2011 05:08 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(10-06-2011 04:34 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  Rath - its just the Cincinnati mentality. If people here are not unhappy they are not happy.

I don't think that we're out of contention for the Big 12, but that's our only play or we are F'd. If you really think that the Big East can keep AQ status by adding Navy and AF you're out of your mind and you have paid no attention to the direction of college football. The powers that be are NOT NOT LOOKING TO INCLUDE MORE TEAMS, THEY WANT TO ELIMINATE THEM.

I don't think the PTB would dare pull the BE's AQ status. The BCS system is not popular on Capitol Hill, and making it more restrictive, particularly stripping current AQ teams of AQ conf. status, would risk killing the golden goose.

And this goes double if one or more service academies join.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 05:16 PM by Former Lurker.)
10-06-2011 05:15 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners

You are simply wrong. Lousiville and Cincinnati have been the only two schools that have handled the wanting to get out of the big east with class.

"BYU, TCU and Louisville have all been mentioned as possibilities to join the Big 12. But Louisville, a source told ESPN.com, is interested in keeping Big East together with service academies to fill void left by Pitt and Syracuse.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2011/9/29/2...t-together

"[Louisville] AD Tom Jurich tells @CBSSports UofL's "intention to stay in Big East, but will explore all options w/in [Big East] & outside conference"

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2011/9/17/2...to-stay-in

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 05:18 PM by Bearcat_Bounce.)
10-06-2011 05:16 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 04:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  WTF do you want him to do? Dump his only date to the barn dance before he has another one (when there might not be another one)?

If John Marinotto was my date, I'd be heading for the exits faster than Roberto Duran! No mas!

10-06-2011 05:17 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-06-2011 05:08 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  

I never said I was happy about the situation nor did I ever say anything about AQ status. My statement was in reference to the constant negative statements about what the Univ is saying regarding the BE. Your out of your mind if you think from day 1 we should denounced the BE and laid claim to any other conf, without an offer in hand. They have to say these things in public in case we are left in the BE. Jeez.

10-06-2011 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.