Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Women in 30 minutes
Bookmark and Share
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Women in 30 minutes
Women's soccer 4-3 are going up against Upstate in 30 minutes. They've got Asheville on Sunday. Win both of those and that's probably their best start ever.
Remember, if you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.
09-23-2011 05:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

straightfromthehorsesmouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the underdog
RE: Women in 30 minutes
(09-23-2011 05:36 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Women's soccer 4-3 are going up against Upstate in 30 minutes. They've got Asheville on Sunday. Win both of those and that's probably their best start ever.

I'm hating that I missed that... was in Boone with 27,500 PLUS people watching a hellva crazy football game with Chattanooga and Appalachain... score? App wins 14-12... App scored NO OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWNS agains the Mocs... and it rained at the end, tears from heaven for squeaking out a win.

I'll be missing the Sunday game too. Hate that... Good luck to the girls. I hear there will be free beer and a pizza party for the dorm with the most people not wearing a Tennessee shirt.
09-25-2011 07:11 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Well that maybe so but since it's always sunny in Johnson City and there's SOOO much interest in our fall sports, I thought I'd post a few threads to get the buzz going about the huge weekend of soccer ahead.
I really thought after that big Va. Tech win board traffic would've tripled. I was wrong. Sorry guys.
09-25-2011 07:58 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
(09-25-2011 07:11 AM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  
(09-23-2011 05:36 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Women's soccer 4-3 are going up against Upstate in 30 minutes. They've got Asheville on Sunday. Win both of those and that's probably their best start ever.

I'm hating that I missed that... was in Boone with 27,500 PLUS people watching a hellva crazy football game with Chattanooga and Appalachain... score? App wins 14-12... App scored NO OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWNS agains the Mocs... and it rained at the end, tears from heaven for squeaking out a win.

I'll be missing the Sunday game too. Hate that... Good luck to the girls. I hear there will be free beer and a pizza party for the dorm with the most people not wearing a Tennessee shirt.

Oh don't those two schools they would be better off spending their athletic money on soccer?!!
09-25-2011 09:38 AM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(09-25-2011 09:38 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

Oh don't those two schools they would be better off spending their athletic money on soccer?!!

You say that as if they don't both sponsor soccer teams. It's not either/or but and/both.

They also sponsor wrestling and field hockey. Why would they do this when smart schools only sponsor the minimum number of non-revenue sports required to meet the NCAA minimums.

Again, and/both not either/or.
09-25-2011 03:51 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-25-2011 03:51 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  

You say that as if they don't both sponsor soccer teams. It's not either/or but and/both.

They also sponsor wrestling and field hockey. Why would they do this when smart schools only sponsor the minimum number of non-revenue sports required to meet the NCAA minimums.

But some how those 2 schools can afford football and the other sports, ETSU can't, I bet neither Chattanoga or Appy spend near what ETSU does on the non-revnue sports, thats the secret, you can have them just don't waste all your money on them. Also in Appy case having football brings in more money that can trickle down to other sports.

EDIT: Actually Chattanoga does NOT have a mens soccer team.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2011 04:28 PM by RodShaw2.)
09-25-2011 04:21 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Or baseball for that matter.
09-25-2011 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Guys this is a thread about our women's soccer team. We need more soccer talk dammit or I'm gonna start cracking skulls. (That's sarcasm on the skull cracking)
09-25-2011 04:59 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Yes you have it right! It is these sports AND football! That is what we have been saying.
09-25-2011 06:09 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Women's team wins today. 3-0. One never knows when how a team will do with a little confidence.
Is the goalkeeper (Gaughan) related to racecar driver Brendan Gaughan?
09-25-2011 08:49 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(09-25-2011 06:09 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

Yes you have it right! It is these sports AND football! That is what we have been saying.

Agreed. The only real disagreement is I think additional money needs to be generated to add football back, not taking money from non-revenue sports to pay for it. I don't think you can take money/scholarships away from programs once you've given it to them. If you do, you can not ask them to win.
I think the issue with football is if you add it back fund it at a level where it could actually be competitive. If you take money from the other programs to fund it and don't generate any new money, you won't have enough from the other programs to have a competitive football program, plus you'll basically guarantee that all the programs that had money taken away will never win.

So to do it right, generate new money for football and continue to see success in the non-revenue sports. You have to concede that the non-revenue sports win for the most part. We don't want that to stop, just to have a poorly funded football team. Let's fund all sports at a level that is at or near the top of the ASun and see success across the board.

The real beef I've had with most of the statements on this board is the idea that not tiering sports is idiotic. I would say it's simply a difference of philosophy. The SEC for example, has very few sports per school and pours a lot of money into each. The Pac-12 by contrast, sponsors a broad base of sports. Stanford could do even better at football, if they didn't sponsor over 40 sports. However, that doesn't match with their philosophy. The ACC is another league that has a wider range of sports sponsorship. All I am saying is neither philosophy is necessarily good or bad, they're just different.
09-25-2011 10:00 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-25-2011 10:00 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  
(09-25-2011 06:09 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(09-25-2011 07:11 AM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  I'm hating that I missed that... was in Boone with 27,500 PLUS people watching a hellva crazy football game with Chattanooga and Appalachain... score? App wins 14-12... App scored NO OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWNS agains the Mocs... and it rained at the end, tears from heaven for squeaking out a win.

Agreed. The only real disagreement is I think additional money needs to be generated to add football back, not taking money from non-revenue sports to pay for it. I don't think you can take money/scholarships away from programs once you've given it to them. If you do, you can not ask them to win.
I think the issue with football is if you add it back fund it at a level where it could actually be competitive. If you take money from the other programs to fund it and don't generate any new money, you won't have enough from the other programs to have a competitive football program, plus you'll basically guarantee that all the programs that had money taken away will never win.

So to do it right, generate new money for football and continue to see success in the non-revenue sports. You have to concede that the non-revenue sports win for the most part. We don't want that to stop, just to have a poorly funded football team. Let's fund all sports at a level that is at or near the top of the ASun and see success across the board.

The real beef I've had with most of the statements on this board is the idea that not tiering sports is idiotic. I would say it's simply a difference of philosophy. The SEC for example, has very few sports per school and pours a lot of money into each. The Pac-12 by contrast, sponsors a broad base of sports. Stanford could do even better at football, if they didn't sponsor over 40 sports. However, that doesn't match with their philosophy. The ACC is another league that has a wider range of sports sponsorship. All I am saying is neither philosophy is necessarily good or bad, they're just different.
I just looked at the list of 35 sports (men and women) Stanford has listed on it website and I am curious since I think NCAA only sanctions like 23 championship sports do they even offer scholarships in all of those? It wouldn't be hard to offer a crapload of useless stuff like that if the kids had to pay thier own way.
09-25-2011 10:57 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I don't care about Stanford. I want to hear how the ETSU women's soccer match was in this thread.
09-26-2011 02:24 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-26-2011 02:24 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I don't care about Stanford. I want to hear how the ETSU women's soccer match was in this thread.

I don't think any of the 316 people who attended post on here The number is probably inflated becuase everyone knows (according GoBucsGo, or was it LetsgoBucs, I get them confused they type the same crap) ETSU pads its attendance numbers.
09-26-2011 02:31 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Rod you'll get tackled for talking that. There had to be atleast 340 there.
09-26-2011 04:28 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

[/quote]

(according GoBucsGo, or was it LetsgoBucs, I get them confused they type the same crap)
[/quote]

Haha. The funny thing is, I thought it was most of you guys on the board that were hard to tell apart, since you all have the same thought. I guess everyone likes their own flavor of Kool-Aid right? 03-razz
09-26-2011 11:21 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-26-2011 04:28 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Rod you'll get tackled for talking that. There had to be atleast 340 there.

Who is going to tackle me? We don't play that rough at ETSU and if you look a soccer player to harshly he will fall over and have to be carried off the field on a stretcher, if one them tried to tackle me they would probably kill themselves.
09-27-2011 12:46 AM
Advertisement

straightfromthehorsesmouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the underdog
A rather vocal person in the soccer stands on Sunday did a little jabbing when a goal attempt went WAY OFF mark over the net... They said... He needs some FieldGoal kicking practice... Other person said... "Guess he won't get that on this campus"... It was funny... but scored one for an evil look from Her Magesity...

told to me by a reliable bartender
09-27-2011 11:09 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I will, though once tackled I may not move for a week. The more gray hair comes in on my head, the more stuff hurts that didn't before.
Atleast the women are winning, that's all I've asked. If we're going to overspend on it, then let's get some damn trophies to show for it.

(09-27-2011 12:46 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(09-26-2011 04:28 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Rod you'll get tackled for talking that. There had to be atleast 340 there.

Who is going to tackle me? We don't play that rough at ETSU and if you look a soccer player to harshly he will fall over and have to be carried off the field on a stretcher, if one them tried to tackle me they would probably kill themselves.
09-27-2011 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.