Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Ticket Sales
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

We've heard from UConn and WVU. How are other schools doing with ticket sales. Seems like they're doing maybe better than people expected. 04-cheers
07-27-2005 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

UC Ticket sales are down...from what I understand anyway (I don't have hard numbers here..it's just what I've heard) but this isn't because of apathy etc....but rather because many UC fans are protesting the mis-handling of Bob Huggins by the Pres. and BOT and as a result, they are boycotting UC events, Alumni donations are down....they are trying to run the Pres. out of office but it seems to me that this is going to hurt the football attendance etc. I wish there was another way other than hurting UC Football in the process.

Go Cats!
Impeach Zimpher!!!
07-27-2005 02:47 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:UC Ticket sales are down...from what I understand anyway (I don't have hard numbers here..it's just what I've heard) but this isn't because of apathy etc....but rather because many UC fans are protesting the mis-handling of Bob Huggins by the Pres. and BOT and as a result, they are boycotting UC events, Alumni donations are down....they are trying to run the Pres. out of office but it seems to me that this is going to hurt the football attendance etc

-- I must admit that I have never understood this logic....UC football players are busting there a$$ in the weight room as we speak and Bearcat fans are boycotting football because of Bobby Huggins?!?! Get out and support the kids...they don't have a dog in this fight

Jackson
07-27-2005 02:54 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

UC is and probably always will be a basketball first school. Therefore if the guy who everyone attributes to getting UC to the Big East is run off they are leaving with him (at least for the short term). I bought my football tickets, but I am so upset about the way the administration has handled the Huggins situation that I will quite possibly drop my tickets next year if he is gone as well. I am also not happy that 2 of their 5 games are during the week, causing me to have to use vacation time to make it down to the games.
07-27-2005 02:58 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

UC fans...is there going to be a "boycott" of basketball as well? It seems to me that if the football team is boycotted but the bball squad gets to play in front of a sold out areana every night then maybe Huggins isn't the real issue

Jackson
07-27-2005 03:08 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Some USF fans wanted Greenberg out and boycotted basketball. In the long run it ends up hurting the school and the kids playing. They need the fans support both moneteraly and supportive. Sorry to hear this is going at UC
07-27-2005 03:17 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

I really support Huggins and hope that both he and the university can end this stand-off amicably. But this attitude being expressed in this thread and on the Cincinnati board needs to have some cold water splashed in its face.

Its important for both the University of Cincinnati and its fans to realize something - their membership in the BE is basically probationary.

Large drop-offs in the things that make Cincinnati attractive or a failure to improve in the things that make the Bearcats a liability will not bode well for the institution's continuing in the league beyond the next 5 years.

It will be interesting to see how things play out, but I certainly hope neither the fans nor the administration believe that simply because you are in the Big East now, that you can't be 'Templed' for lack of fan support and/or lack of administrative support.

And that decision will ultimately be based on football, not basketball. Believe Huggins got you into the BE all you want, but punish the football program with little fan support (a liability for the Bearcats coming in) because of this feud between Zimpher, the BOT and Huggins and the institution and its fans could be on the outside looking in 5 years down the road with an ECU or Memphis taking its place.

Cheers,
Neil
07-27-2005 04:35 PM
dlb1946 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Zimpher does not care about UC or the athletic department. She is hell bent on getting rid of Huggs. She is an Ohio State fan and is trying to make sure that there is no competition for OSU in the state of Ohio. She will reside over the down fall of UC athletics and then leave UC in disgrace. I have stoped my UCAT donations and will not pruchase UC basketball ticket until she is gone.
Sorry her extreme measures deserves an extreme response . Zimpher could have choose to make changes in many different ways. However she choose to divide the university and promote a divisive attitude. She will pay a heavy price. The community will not forgive so easy.
07-27-2005 05:11 PM
CardFANATIC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL, Neb,OM, EWU

Quote:In the long run it ends up hurting the school and the kids playing. They need the fans support both moneteraly and supportive.

I disagree. In 1997 UofL had one of the worst D1A head coaches in the last 20 years. UL fans stayed away in droves to protest and Jurich responded by kicking Coop's arse outta town. He then brought in JLS and all was well again just 1 year later.

Quote: Zimpher does not care about UC or the athletic department. She is hell bent on getting rid of Huggs. She is an Ohio State fan and is trying to make sure that there is no competition for OSU in the state of Ohio. She will reside over the down fall of UC athletics and then leave UC in disgrace. I have stoped my UCAT donations and will not pruchase UC basketball ticket until she is gone.

So basically you're saying she cares more for OSU than she does HER OWN CAREER?! That is a joke and I dont believe it for one second.
07-27-2005 05:42 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

I'm a big fan of Huggs and hopes he ends up staying at Cincy, but it should be noted that it's because of Dr. Zimpher (and Bob Goin) that Cincy is in the Big East today.
07-27-2005 06:03 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I'll bring this one back on track. Syracuse's season ticket sales bottomed out last year at somewhere south of 27,000. Best guess is they are very close to 30,000 right now. I hope to see 31-32k by kickoff but who knows. Another area of improvement is I think the no shows will decrease. Syracuse fans can be fickle and somewhat fairweathered but there is alot of positive energy. Much like when WVU hired RRod a few years ago. I expect a near sellout for WVU despite the State Fair in town and being Labor Day weekend. For CNYers Labor Day is often the last chance they get for summer fun over a 3 day weekend. Columbus Day weather is too hit n miss for outdoor stuff.
07-27-2005 06:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:dlb1946 Posted on Jul 27 2005, 05:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zimpher does not care about UC or the athletic department. She is hell bent on getting rid of Huggs. She is an Ohio State fan and is trying to make sure that there is no competition for OSU in the state of Ohio. She will reside over the down fall of UC athletics and then leave UC in disgrace. I have stoped my UCAT donations and will not pruchase UC basketball ticket until she is gone.
Sorry her extreme measures deserves an extreme response . Zimpher could have choose to make changes in many different ways. However she choose to divide the university and promote a divisive attitude. She will pay a heavy price. The community will not forgive so easy. 

Fans are extremely fickle and they will forgive and forget with the first 20+ season post-Huggins - if it even gets that far. But fans tend to also be stupid and ignorant when it comes to coaching - and I count myself amongst these as well.

And in this case, the fans of Cincinnati have no real way of knowing what is going on in Zimpher's mind. Having dealt with several college presidents in my position, I can tell you that the athletics department while important to a 1-A institution, is not front and center for most presidents. That is why they have ADs.

For Zimpher to be this front and center on the issue tells me two things - she has a weakling for an AD and that there is a lot of pressure going on behind the scenes - most likley meaning the BOT - since this ultimately is who the president answers to.

Regardless, none of the above really matters. Huggins doesn't matter, Zimpher doesn't matter, Goin doesn't matter. All that should matter to Bearcats' fans is the University of Cincinnati and what is best for it. And anything that endangers UC's BE membership I would classify as being bad for the university - particularly when fans stupidly try to torpedo football - which has nothing whatsoever to do with Huggins vs. Zimpher.

I'm beginning to think the best possible resolution is for both of them to leave with Goin and have UC start fresh in all three positions.

Cheers,
Neil
07-27-2005 06:17 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Regardless, none of the above really matters. Huggins doesn't matter, Zimpher doesn't matter, Goin doesn't matter. All that should matter to Bearcats' fans is the University of Cincinnati and what is best for it. And anything that endangers UC's BE membership I would classify as being bad for the university - particularly when fans stupidly try to torpedo football - which has nothing whatsoever to do with Huggins vs. Zimpher.

I'm beginning to think the best possible resolution is for both of them to leave with Goin and have UC start fresh in all three positions.

-- Amen....again....it makes no sense to me that UC fans would want to boycott football over the Huggins situation. If you were going to boycott anything wouldn't it be hoops? If UC football attendance falls below 20,000 per then you are starting to get into that Temple range...and the fact that season ticket sales are down despite joining the BE/BCS should start some warning bells around the league. What will it take to get Bearcat fans excited about football? Your in a regional league that is apart of the BCS...what more is it going to take?

-- Hey Omni...is getting "Templed" anything like getting "Pittsnogled" 03-wink

Jackson
07-27-2005 09:06 PM
dlb1946 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

You do not have to believe anything but take the UK vs UL hatred and multiple if 10 fold and that will tell you how much OSU dislikes UC and Huggins. Which is why they never play in basketball and never will unless the NCAA makes them play.

UL playing Kentucky has helped our program very much. As long as UK did not play UL the UL program was not going to progress. It provided UL with a measure of credibility which you did not have before the rival game began.
07-27-2005 09:23 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

The bottom line is many of UC's students are Ohio State Fans! UC just has an attendance problem for football and always has!
07-27-2005 11:12 PM
CardFANATIC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL, Neb,OM, EWU

Quote:UL playing Kentucky has helped our program very much. As long as UK did not play UL the UL program was not going to progress. It provided UL with a measure of credibility which you did not have before the rival game began.

Wrong, UL had made four FF's and won a national championship before the two met in the regional final in Knoxville.
07-27-2005 11:41 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Cincinnati has never been Big East territory before and fans probably wouldn't identify the eastern schools as regional rivals.

Cincinnati has never been hot on pro or college football. The Bengals didn't come until the 60's and they don't draw well. The college focus is in basketball with Kentucky, Xavier, and UC having the public's attention.

The MAC is a big thorn in the side of UC football. UC is going to be able to get its fair share of players against the MAC as a member of the Big East. The general public is not going to perceive UC football as being better than MAC football unless they can set up a home-home rivalry with OSU and make some top 25 appearances.

UC has made bowls in recent years, but nothing played in January. They have a long ways to go to catch up with Pitt, WVU, and Louisville in national profile.
07-28-2005 12:04 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

CardFANATIC Wrote:
Quote:UL playing Kentucky has helped our program very much. As long as UK did not play UL the UL program was not going to progress. It provided UL with a measure of credibility which you did not have before the rival game began.

Wrong, UL had made four FF's and won a national championship before the two met in the regional final in Knoxville.
The Kentucky series was much more important for Louisville in football because having a rivalry with an SEC school is big time in the eyes of many recruits down south.

Kentucky is an underrated football state and feeds cardinal football quite nicely with talent.
07-28-2005 12:06 AM
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Ul has now sold about 33,000 season tickets. It appears every game this season will be sold out.

Isn't the visitor allotment about 5,000 tickets in the Big East?
07-28-2005 06:37 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Cincinnati has never been Big East territory before and fans probably wouldn't identify the eastern schools as regional rivals.

-- I don't know Kit Cat...three of the 8 teams in the league are within driving distance of UCs campus...they probably couldn't get more regional then that unless they rejoined the MAC

Quote:Cincinnati has never been hot on pro or college football. The Bengals didn't come until the 60's and they don't draw well. The college focus is in basketball with Kentucky, Xavier, and UC having the public's attention.

-- Perhaps that's it.....UC football does have the chance to be something very good...its just a shame Bearcat fans/alums don't seem to support the football program like the bball one

-- Does anyone know how far season ticket sells are down compared to last yr for UC?

Jackson
07-28-2005 07:34 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.