Wow. A lot of shirnkage going on there.
09-22-2011 12:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
RE: Men's Basketball Roster
(09-22-2011 11:55 AM)Zao123 Wrote:  It is going to be a long season.

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-baskb...l-mtt.html

It's a very young roster; but even with the loss of Dre Henley, a very talented one. Now it's up to Monty to develop their skills and make them a team.

We need to show up at the Convo and support this team EVERY GAME. The future is very bright; keep the faith!

"In Monty we trust!"
09-22-2011 12:57 PM
HuskieFamily Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
I haven't been following the roster that closely, did we lose more than Rucker and Henley?

I agree with Huskiebob, roster looks (on paper) loaded with young talent. Will enjoy watching them grow together.
09-22-2011 01:05 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

It will be very interesting. Storm, Toler and and Nixon are going have to take a leadership role. Just hope that a couple of the kids step up quickly. Maybe Nader will be even better than advertised.
09-22-2011 01:07 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Let us all pray that there are no injuries.
09-22-2011 01:57 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I was fairly excited about this season a couple of months ago. Now when you look at the roster and see so many true freshman it is scary. They will have to grow up fast.
09-22-2011 02:11 PM
WhiskeyDick Offline
Banned

I Root For: Penalty kills
The program has nowhere to go but up. Strategy? Play the kids, take your lumps, recruit like a banshee and hope by next season the future shows good optimism. No, do not waste time on the upper classman flotsam left on this roster. Glue them to the bench.

The 2011-12 season is gonig to be tough. But I think Montgomery and crew are worthy of the best possible fan support. Problem is very, very few people have interest in NIU hoops right now. It may take this team taking two steps forward in a year or so before fan interest starts to trickle.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 02:43 PM by WhiskeyDick.)
09-22-2011 02:41 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(09-22-2011 02:41 PM)WhiskeyDick Wrote:  The program has nowhere to go but up. Strategy? Play the kids, take your lumps, recruit like a banshee and hope by next season the future shows good optimism. No, do not waste time on the upper classman flotsam left on this roster. Glue them to the bench.
Mmhmm.
09-22-2011 03:23 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

Toler, Keith Gray, Nader, Nixon and either Ford, Christian or Miller could be starting 5....Toler can score inside or out, KG will be a pleasant surprise and will get 8 and 8 methinks....Nader could be big time scorer and TN is ready bust out with a big shooting year...MM will get nixon shots he hasn't seen before and he will knock them down. Ford and Christian are really combo guys that can both score but will be serviceable at the point--Zach is small but very heady and won't turn the ball over and should get 15 minutes a game and hopefully will drain a three once in a while...

Barnett will be a pleasant surprise, very athletic and can score from the wing and rebounds quite well for his size....I think Bolin will have some big games but may struggle with monty's defensive in-your-face scheme. The other gray will get quality minutes off the bench as first post sub and storm's experience and big body will help the front line....the way TY shoots it, he may help stretch the defense but he will also have trouble guarding on the perimiter...

This will be a fun team to watch but will obviously have growing pains....can be very quick but lack size...However, they will play HARD every possession as I hear monty is a taskmaster who demands ultimate effort and won't cotton to half assing it ever.
09-22-2011 03:29 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Even though I have no interest in basketball (NCAA or NBA) I will do my best to show up for a few games this year.
09-22-2011 03:54 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Definitely going to be a growing pains/take your lumps kind of year, but that was a given. More about watching the players than the score. At least the new regime gives the hope that things could be headed up in the long run.
09-22-2011 04:01 PM
yesman815 Offline
All American

Toler is not that good and if he is our BIG! thats gonna be a tough time
09-22-2011 04:50 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(09-22-2011 03:29 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  Toler, Keith Gray, Nader, Nixon and either Ford, Christian or Miller could be starting 5....Toler can score inside or out, KG will be a pleasant surprise and will get 8 and 8 methinks....Nader could be big time scorer and TN is ready bust out with a big shooting year...MM will get nixon shots he hasn't seen before and he will knock them down. Ford and Christian are really combo guys that can both score but will be serviceable at the point--Zach is small but very heady and won't turn the ball over and should get 15 minutes a game and hopefully will drain a three once in a while...

Barnett will be a pleasant surprise, very athletic and can score from the wing and rebounds quite well for his size....I think Bolin will have some big games but may struggle with monty's defensive in-your-face scheme. The other gray will get quality minutes off the bench as first post sub and storm's experience and big body will help the front line....the way TY shoots it, he may help stretch the defense but he will also have trouble guarding on the perimiter...

This will be a fun team to watch but will obviously have growing pains....can be very quick but lack size...However, they will play HARD every possession as I hear monty is a taskmaster who demands ultimate effort and won't cotton to half assing it ever.

I saw Zach Miller play twice last year and I'm doubtful he has the size and athleticism to play D1 basketball. Like you say, he is very smart; but I don't think that will be enough at this level.
09-22-2011 04:51 PM
yesman815 Offline
All American

They need to pick up a JUCO TRANSFER

Monterale Clark is from ILLINOIS and is a 6'10 top 150 JUCO player and hasnt picked a school and has no offers.
09-22-2011 04:56 PM
Advertisement

yesman815 Offline
All American

(09-22-2011 04:56 PM)yesman815 Wrote:  They need to pick up a JUCO TRANSFER

Monterale Clark is from ILLINOIS and is a 6'10 top 150 JUCO player and hasnt picked a school and has no offers.

he committed to marquette then got arrested.

Take a chance on him!!!
09-22-2011 04:57 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

NOman, Toler is an above average MAC player...he may well average a double double and be all MAC. He was 16th in the league in rebounding last year and scored 10 a game and I have no doubt this staff will have him in considerably better shape. As with last year, the huskies don't really have a typical big man post....will rely on dribble drive motion offense, get in gaps, kick to shooters or dump inside when the help comes...there are guys that can, once they adjust to D1 basketball, make plays and with Toler, Nixon, Bolin, Nader, Christian and Storm there are alot of guys are above average shooters. I doubt they will have too much trouble scoring but the defensive end and rebounding will determine whether the record is 10-20 or 15-15
09-22-2011 05:00 PM
niutwo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: huskies
I will be at every game and I hope many others will join me. Bball teams can be influenced by the crowd, so I hope we can get atleast 3000 to attend most games. I cannot see many wins from this group, but maybe as fans we can help the guys steal a couple games. Niu's bball future depends on montys ability to add some quality size to the roster in a hurry! When did storm become 6'5, zach miller 5'8 and the gray twinns shrink to 6'6?
09-22-2011 05:06 PM
niutwo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: huskies
Cagy, I am a huge niu bball and monty fan but this team will struggle to win 5-8 games. Size and experience matters and the mac conference is loaded with it this year!
09-22-2011 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.