Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Expectations
Bookmark and Share
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
Expectations
Ok I called for Doeren's head.. maybe a tad prematurely, but i guess maybe i should explain why..

Expectations:

I expect teams to get better every year. Sometimes there are reasons why a team doesn't do as well (injury, graduation, etc), but I still expect teams to improve.

I also think Novak was overrated. He did help turn the program around, but not as much as he gets credit for: He had a overall record of 63-76 and 2 bowl games. 5 sub .500 years(including his last one..2-10)

Jerry kill left in a crappy way, but the guy knows how to win. (6-7, 7-6, 10-3) not to mention at SIU(1-10, 4-8, 10-2, 10-2, 9-4, 9-4, 12-2).

So our last season was 10-3(Loss at Iowa st which i still understand the philosophy of starting grady, loss at U of I that was a close game and a loss in the MAC championship in which I think the coaching staff was already gone..)

Expectations:

So this year, we knew the offense would be fine but the defense would be an issue(graduation, shootings), so NIU hired a big conference DC in DD. My expectation was that through scheme, strategy and development, that he could not fix, but band-aid the defense into something ok(not respectable, but ok).

I also expect them to beat Army, Kansas, lose to WISC and go into the MAC..make it to the MAC championship and then go to a decent bowl game and maybe be ranked at the end of the year(i am ok with taking a step back due to issues beyond DDs control(graduation, shootings)) However to get to a point like Boise St you must at least equal last season if not move forward.

After listening to interviews from players, coaches and fans.. I think the expectations of everyone else are different. Their goal is to play well in the MAC. Which i understand, but if fans want to see good teams come to Huskie Stadium then they have to play well against good teams in order for them to set up a 1&1 or 2&1.

These first 4 games aren't warm-ups for the MAC, they are part of the season and it shouldn't be ok to lose them because "the MAC season hasn't started yet"..

Frustrations:

My issue with DD is this: The offense is worse. The defense is horrible(we knew this going in to this season).
1. I thought DD could scheme and strategize to hide our issues(linebacker, cbs) but in 3 games we gave up more than 250yards rushing in each game. Found out are CBs can't cover anyone(good thing army doesn't throw). And that we get no pressure on the qb...ever.
2. The offensive play calling is terrible. We keep decreasing in total yards..We put in Lynch for extended periods of time for no reason..The running game is suspect. It seemed last year we ran to set up the pass, now this year we try to pass our way to set up the run. The offensive play calling is easy to predict given the personnel on the field..I think Canada looked good under Novak, because we sucked before then, but now he looks worse than Limegrover..

3. Army is a good team. They beat NU, lost a close game to a good SDST team.. I think NIU coaches can execute a game plan when given enough time(months) but can't on a weekly basis(which is what probably separates most coaches in the ncaaa).
09-19-2011 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WhiskeyDick Offline
Banned

I Root For: Penalty kills
RE: Expectations
My expectations on the season have been downshifted. The defense is so bad that I can't see putting this team ahead of Toledo and Western Michigan in the MAC West. Of course that is why you play the games. But if you have a defense that can't even slow people down a little bit then that is recipe for disappointment no matter how prolific the offense might be at the MAC level of play. With a defense this bad the margin of error on offense is non-existent. Chandler Harnish CAN'T have a bad day and even a few turnovers probably mean the nail in the coffin on gameday.
09-19-2011 03:19 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Until the MAC season begins, I will hold judgement. Army is a good team with a unique offense. Kansas is improving and stil BCS. Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the nation and got an all american type QB to transfer in. Cal Poly and then the MAC teams are coming. Progar, Windsor, O'Neal, Jefferson, Jenkins, Wells etc. will look better when not playing the likes of Wisconsin. Give me a couple more games and then I will be able t decide. Too Early yet.
09-19-2011 03:25 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
You can't blame Novak for only being in 2 bowl games. Our best year with Novak we weren't in a bowl game, through no fault of his. Kill was pretty good but I agree that he was already gone during the MACC game. I also agree that the first 4 games aren't just a warmup. If we were an SEC team maybe that would be true.

Not sure about our offensive playcalling, if we have an issue there. We put up lots of points vs. Army and Kansas, which are closer to the level of competition we'll face in the MAC. Kansas more so than Army. Unless we can figure out how to get off the field on 3rd and 12, it will be very difficult to beat UT or WMU, or BGSU or anyone without a noodle arm at QB.

Also, it's hard to draw conclusions about how Army is doing, since teams they play now only have 1 week to prepare for them.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 03:35 PM by NIU007.)
09-19-2011 03:34 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

(09-19-2011 03:25 PM)klake87 Wrote:  Until the MAC season begins, I will hold judgement. Army is a good team with a unique offense. Kansas is improving and stil BCS. Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the nation and got an all american type QB to transfer in. Cal Poly and then the MAC teams are coming. Progar, Windsor, O'Neal, Jefferson, Jenkins, Wells etc. will look better when not playing the likes of Wisconsin. Give me a couple more games and then I will be able t decide. Too Early yet.

Why is BCS an excuse? Honestly I am asking..
We beat Minnesota last year? Played Illinois tough. beat Purdue, lost to WISC by 8.....Duke is BCS..

Wisc is always over ranked because the Big 10 has been terrible past few years(now that nebraska is in, will make wisc have to fight for the rose bowl, and ohio st is done)..

We are back to being a "powder puff" team that big universities put on their schedule again.

Kansas isn't getting better.. They got destroyed by the football power house GT. (a team they beat last year by 3).

Toledo is going to crush us. Ball St looks good. (good thing we don't play Temple or Ohio).
09-19-2011 03:36 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

At least we don't have to talk about whether we should be ranked or not.
09-19-2011 03:38 PM
Advertisement

PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

why dont you just let the season play itself out before you make such stupid conclusions
09-19-2011 03:46 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

(09-19-2011 03:34 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  You can't blame Novak for only being in 2 bowl games. Our best year with Novak we weren't in a bowl game, through no fault of his. Kill was pretty good but I agree that he was already gone during the MACC game. I also agree that the first 4 games aren't just a warmup. If we were an SEC team maybe that would be true.

Not sure about our offensive playcalling, if we have an issue there. We put up lots of points vs. Army and Kansas, which are closer to the level of competition we'll face in the MAC. Kansas more so than Army. Unless we can figure out how to get off the field on 3rd and 12, it will be very difficult to beat UT or WMU, or BGSU or anyone without a noodle arm at QB.

Also, it's hard to draw conclusions about how Army is doing, since teams they play now only have 1 week to prepare for them.

That makes me wonder if we could beat them on one week to prepare..

(love your comments...quick and witty. especially "not having to argue about their ranking"...)
09-19-2011 03:48 PM
WhiskeyDick Offline
Banned

I Root For: Penalty kills
Moral of the story....

1. The tools amongst us who obsess about the OOC schedule and who NIU plays at home need to SHUT UP.
2. 99% of good Huskie fans DO NOT relish getting our nuts handed to us by the Wisconsins of the world, but accept the fate because it comes with big fat check attached. Sorry but the insanely low probability that we might come away with a victory is retarded thinking to the extreme.
3. What matter is MAC games. Instead of pretending that NIU is on the national scene and all, concentrate instead on how NIU can FINALLY win a friggin MACC.
4. What NIU has done in terms of OOC scheduling is exactly what continues to need to be done...schedule a couple of 800 pound gorillas for the payout and two cupcakes at home so you can hopefully come away 2-2 in the record book leading into conference play
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 03:53 PM by WhiskeyDick.)
09-19-2011 03:52 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

(09-19-2011 03:46 PM)PeoriaHuskie11 Wrote:  why dont you just let the season play itself out before you make such stupid conclusions

I guess because of the following

1. People on this board comment about why good teams won't come to dekalb
2. I wonder why are stadium isn't better
3. Why can't we set up 1&1 in scheduling that others can
4. Why doesn't anyone show up for home games if not "homecoming" or first game of the year.
5. Why isn't the SF game televised
6. Why can't we get 3 star recruits

I think the answer to all those questions are answered by the butt kicking we took on saturday. I wasn't expecting to win. but i thought we could score more than 7 points and have 11 first downs..
09-19-2011 03:52 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

(09-19-2011 03:52 PM)WhiskeyDick Wrote:  Moral of the story....

1. The tools amongst us who obsess about the OOC schedule and who NIU plays at home need to SHUT UP.
2. 99% of good Huskie fans DO NOT relish getting our nuts handed to us by the Wisconsins of the world, but accept the fate because it comes with big fat check attached.
3. What matter is MAC games. Instead of pretending that NIU is on the national scene and all, concentrate instead on how NIU can FINALLY win a friggin MACC.
4. What NIU has done in terms of OOC scheduling is exactly what continues to need to be done...schedule a couple of 800 pound gorillas for the payout and two cupcakes at home so you can hopefully come away 2-2 in the record book leading into conference play
1. I agree with second half, but i would like to see some 1&1s set-up with level opponents(like Kansas)
2. Like i said i don't mind losing to powerhouses, i mind not showing up at all with little to no effort.
3. How do you recruit better players if you tell them your focus is winning the MAC?
4. I agree with you on the scheduling but would like to see 2 cupcakes, 1 800lbs and 1 team on our level(kansas type).
09-19-2011 03:55 PM
Advertisement

PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

(09-19-2011 03:52 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  
(09-19-2011 03:46 PM)PeoriaHuskie11 Wrote:  why dont you just let the season play itself out before you make such stupid conclusions

4. Why doesn't anyone show up for home games if not "homecoming" or first game of the year.

I think the answer to all those questions are answered by the butt kicking we took on saturday. I wasn't expecting to win. but i thought we could score more than 7 points and have 11 first downs..

It took well over a decade for tcu/boise st to get where they are, all those years with the same coach as well. patience is a virtue, which some on this board have none.
09-19-2011 04:03 PM
blackhawk Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: huskies
And...

Our record breaking season of last year almost commenced with an L at ISU and a home loss to North Dakota. Um WHO? Yea, right.

Let it play out.
09-19-2011 04:12 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2011 03:36 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  
(09-19-2011 03:25 PM)klake87 Wrote:  Until the MAC season begins, I will hold judgement. Army is a good team with a unique offense. Kansas is improving and stil BCS. Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the nation and got an all american type QB to transfer in. Cal Poly and then the MAC teams are coming. Progar, Windsor, O'Neal, Jefferson, Jenkins, Wells etc. will look better when not playing the likes of Wisconsin. Give me a couple more games and then I will be able t decide. Too Early yet.

Why is BCS an excuse? Honestly I am asking..
We beat Minnesota last year? Played Illinois tough. beat Purdue, lost to WISC by 8.....Duke is BCS..

Wisc is always over ranked because the Big 10 has been terrible past few years(now that nebraska is in, will make wisc have to fight for the rose bowl, and ohio st is done)..

We are back to being a "powder puff" team that big universities put on their schedule again.

Kansas isn't getting better.. They got destroyed by the football power house GT. (a team they beat last year by 3).

Toledo is going to crush us. Ball St looks good. (good thing we don't play Temple or Ohio).

I am not making an excuse just stating facts. If we lost to tw D1AA schools, then I would be worried. We lost to Kansas(below average BCS school) and Wisconsin(Top 5 BCS school). Now if we lost to WIU and Indiana State, then I would be in a panic state. I don't jump on and off the NIU band wagon by a couple of games.
09-19-2011 04:29 PM
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
(09-19-2011 04:03 PM)PeoriaHuskie11 Wrote:  

It took well over a decade for tcu/boise st to get where they are, all those years with the same coach as well. patience is a virtue, which some on this board have none.

+1

Whiners LOL!
09-19-2011 04:33 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

TCU had the same coach, Boise St has had 3(hawkins, koetter and peterson).

I have patience, but what I witnessed has nothing to do with recruiting, athlete size, talent, etc..

It had to do with effort and game strategy.

I didn't feel we lacked effort or had a poor strategy in the games we lost last year(aside from not starting harnish, though with off season knee rehab i could see why they may have been skeptical to start him)
09-19-2011 08:46 PM
Advertisement

DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
I get a real kick out of all the athletes on this board talking about the lack of effort! Go man-up, show up at practice, and tell them about their lack of effort! When -if - you get out of the hospital, come back to the board and tell us how it went.

Bunch of idiots.
09-19-2011 09:11 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-19-2011 09:11 PM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  I get a real kick out of all the athletes on this board talking about the lack of effort! Go man-up, show up at practice, and tell them about their lack of effort! When -if - you get out of the hospital, come back to the board and tell us how it went.

Bunch of idiots.

I didn't notice any lack of effort. They just weren't able to get the job done.
09-19-2011 09:17 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

(09-19-2011 08:46 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  

TCU had the same coach, Boise St has had 3(hawkins, koetter and peterson).

I have patience, but what I witnessed has nothing to do with recruiting, athlete size, talent, etc..

It had to do with effort and game strategy.

I didn't feel we lacked effort or had a poor strategy in the games we lost last year(aside from not starting harnish, though with off season knee rehab i could see why they may have been skeptical to start him)

and hawkins was an assistant to koetter, peterson was an assistant to hawkins. much of the staffs were retained through out, although some have moved on, but the stability was there.

as far as effort is concerned, I am 100% sure they were giving 100% effort in all 3 games this year. If they somehow werent, well then the team doesnt even belong on the field. What I saw was Doeren trying something different offensively because he knew Wisconsin could defend most of what we put out there. Unfortunately it didnt work. Wisconsin just over matched us on both sides of the ball

in the Kansas game the offense was sure trying hard as ****. The defense just wasnt able to stop Kansas, the main reason being tackling. Which they did a decent job at vs Army and Wisconsin. So dont say they werent trying or the strategy was crap, because if the players had executed properly, we would have beat Kansas (without the call reversed) and we would have still lost by about 30 to Wisconsin.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2011 12:31 AM by PeoriaHuskie11.)
09-20-2011 12:27 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
Rarely does a team take off the first year under a new coach....especially a first time head coach...usually because a team stinks when a new coach is hired.

Now, NIU clearly isn't that bad of a situation....not too many coaches get a senior QB like Harnish to smooth the transition over. There is a load of experience and talent on offense.

However, the special teams and defensive units have a ton of turnover. Our LB depth went out the window due to a crazy and unlucky shooting and some...personal...issues.

I think a fair expectation for NIU coming into the year, a FAIR one, would be a winning record, a bowl game, and being competitive for the MAC title while understanding there are a couple of good teams in the MAC that could easily win it too. A little bit of luck and some young guys step up, maybe you win the MAC. I think a fair analysis would've left a person expecting a slight dip from last year, though no dramatic drop off. We're still fully capable of achieving that.

Last year we were spoiled to have experience and talent on the offensive and defensive side of the ball (though special teams could've certainly been better). Yeah, you want to get better every year but it's just not realistic with the amount of turnover in college football.
09-20-2011 12:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.