Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Getting Syracuse is big for ACC
techfan4 Offline
One of the First

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksCrappies
Getting Syracuse is big for ACC
May not seem that way, but for basketball having that connection with the New York market and Madison Square Garden is a big step. Syracuse will immediately add another big name when the ACC has been losing a little steam in my opinion. The rise of Kentucky has hurt the ACC.

In football, Pitt will probably end up being above average in a northern division (assuming/hoping they do this). I hope they fill the void that BC was supposed to fill. The divisions will be probably be balanced by adding VaTech to the northern division and one NC team..probably NC State if I had to guess.
09-18-2011 09:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Getting Syracuse is big for ACC
I don't think well have north-south divisions. We'll probably just add to the Atlantic and Coastal divisions.
09-18-2011 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Syracuse football is going to dominate the ACC. 05-stirthepot
09-18-2011 10:00 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(09-18-2011 10:00 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Syracuse football is going to dominate the ACC. 05-stirthepot

Too soon to start linking to clips of the Champs Sports Bowl where you guys made Reggie Ball look like a world beater?
09-18-2011 10:02 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2011 10:02 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(09-18-2011 10:00 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Syracuse football is going to dominate the ACC. 05-stirthepot

Too soon to start linking to clips of the Champs Sports Bowl where you guys made Reggie Ball look like a world beater?

That's ok we may not be better than GaTech, but we're better than VaTech.

05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011 10:05 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
09-18-2011 10:04 PM
Advertisement

Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

Pitt is a solid addition as well. Though we might seem to be underwhelming on the football side, the histories of both Pitt and Cuse speak for themselves. I think we fit in well and will have the opportunity to thrive!

On the basketball side, this is huge for the ACC. It will be strange to see teams like Duke, UNC and Clemson in the Carrier Dome, but ESPN will eat it up!
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011 10:06 PM by Orange Eagles.)
09-18-2011 10:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(09-18-2011 09:28 PM)techfan4 Wrote:  May not seem that way, but for basketball having that connection with the New York market and Madison Square Garden is a big step. Syracuse will immediately add another big name when the ACC has been losing a little steam in my opinion. The rise of Kentucky has hurt the ACC.

In football, Pitt will probably end up being above average in a northern division (assuming/hoping they do this). I hope they fill the void that BC was supposed to fill. The divisions will be probably be balanced by adding VaTech to the northern division and one NC team..probably NC State if I had to guess.

If you want NYC, you have to play there. Are the ACC schools wiling to play there? Especially, would they move the basketball tournament there? Many ACC schools are close enough and several have decent followings in NYC, so it could happen. So the question is, will Tobacco Road allow the tourney to move to NYC?
09-18-2011 10:05 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2011 10:05 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  
(09-18-2011 09:28 PM)techfan4 Wrote:  May not seem that way, but for basketball having that connection with the New York market and Madison Square Garden is a big step. Syracuse will immediately add another big name when the ACC has been losing a little steam in my opinion. The rise of Kentucky has hurt the ACC.

If you want NYC, you have to play there. Are the ACC schools wiling to play there? Especially, would they move the basketball tournament there? Many ACC schools are close enough and several have decent followings in NYC, so it could happen. So the question is, will Tobacco Road allow the tourney to move to NYC?

Swofford already has a plan to rotate the tourney through the Garden. 04-cheers
09-18-2011 10:07 PM

(09-18-2011 10:05 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  If you want NYC, you have to play there. Are the ACC schools wiling to play there? Especially, would they move the basketball tournament there? Many ACC schools are close enough and several have decent followings in NYC, so it could happen. So the question is, will Tobacco Road allow the tourney to move to NYC?

Move or rotate?

Rotate: Yes
Move: No

They still have the tourney once in awhile in Atlanta and DC. I think they'll add NYC to that rotation. Greensboro still makes the most sense for most years. It is a short drive for WF, NCST, Dook, UNC, VT, Clemson ... and a reasonable drive for GT, UVA, and UMD. For all those same reasons Charlotte makes the most sense football wise.
09-18-2011 10:08 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2011 10:08 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(09-18-2011 10:05 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  If you want NYC, you have to play there. Are the ACC schools wiling to play there? Especially, would they move the basketball tournament there? Many ACC schools are close enough and several have decent followings in NYC, so it could happen. So the question is, will Tobacco Road allow the tourney to move to NYC?

Move or rotate?

They still have the tourney once in awhile in Atlanta and DC. I think they'll add NYC to that rotation. Greensboro still makes the most sense for most years. It is a short drive for WF, NCST, Dook, UNC, VT, Clemson ... and a reasonable drive for GT, UVA, and UMD. For all those same reasons Charlotte makes the most sense football wise.

I think moving it to DC would be the best option, midway between all the schools. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011 10:11 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
09-18-2011 10:10 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
With a 16-team conference, wonder if a two tourney site set-up is manageable.

Let's say 8 teams square off on Thursday at Greensboro and 8 teams at MSG
Then the 4 winners play Friday night at those two sites.
And the championship game is held Sunday afternoon at one site or the other alternating each year?

The league will sell out two arenas that way and get the excitement at two basketball-centric areas.

Cheers,
Neil
09-18-2011 10:12 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2011 10:12 PM)omniorange Wrote:  With a 16-team conference, wonder if a two tourney site set-up is manageable.

And the championship game is held Sunday afternoon at one site or the other alternating each year?

The league will sell out two arenas that way and get the excitement at two basketball-centric areas.

Cheers,
Neil

Wow, that's a great idea. Way to think outside the box!
09-18-2011 10:14 PM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

How are they going to get into the garden if the Big East survives? I'd think they have a contract or would have priority b/c the history. There's always Brooklyn or Anewark, too.
09-18-2011 10:14 PM
Advertisement

(09-18-2011 10:12 PM)omniorange Wrote:  With a 16-team conference, wonder if a two tourney site set-up is manageable.

Cheers,
Neil

That's actually genius. +1

04-bow
09-18-2011 10:15 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

Move or rotate?

I saw Swofford mention this, but is it real? Seriously, if you want NYC, you have to play there. They will love you if you do and ignore you if you don't.

As to Greensboro, keep it away from there. The image is that Tobacco Road has way to much influence over a large conference. We already had the Providence mafia, 30+ years, I as a fan, don't want to see one small area control everyone else.
09-18-2011 10:17 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(09-18-2011 10:14 PM)Orange Eagles Wrote:  How are they going to get into the garden if the Big East survives? I'd think they have a contract or would have priority b/c the history. There's always Brooklyn or Anewark, too.

If the ACC has SU, UConn, Pitt, UNC, Duke, and Maryland, I think that trumps the Catholic Big East schools to MSG management.

The 5 favorite bb teams in NYC are Duke #1, SU & UConn (which alternate between 2 & 3), St. John's, and UNC.

Of course, I'm sure the ACC will try and get Duke and UNC in the Greensboro site as often as possible, but the seedings will not always work out that way.

MSG will salivate over this, imho.

Cheers,
Neil
09-18-2011 10:17 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(09-18-2011 10:10 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

Move or rotate?

I think moving it to DC would be the best option, midway between all the schools. 04-cheers

Logistically, you are correct and the Verizon center or a something similar would suffice. However, I was directly addressing the issue of gaining NYC fans.
09-18-2011 10:18 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(09-18-2011 10:14 PM)Orange Eagles Wrote:  How are they going to get into the garden if the Big East survives? I'd think they have a contract or would have priority b/c the history. There's always Brooklyn or Anewark, too.

I don't know how true this is, but it's been stated that MSG would take whatever conference Uconn and Cuse were in if the big East split. So, I think the ACC has a fighting chance and MSG is a slam dunk if Uconn joins too.
09-18-2011 10:31 PM
CuseKid Offline
Bench Warmer

ACC tourney needs to move to Brooklyn (only because MSG is currently occupied). Imagine 6 overtimes with UNC-Duke in NYC???!!! Ridiculous. Imagine ACC tourney competing with BE tourney during the same week. ACC would be off the hook. BE tourney will be dead in no time.
09-19-2011 03:01 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(09-19-2011 03:01 AM)CuseKid Wrote:  ACC tourney needs to move to Brooklyn (only because MSG is currently occupied). Imagine 6 overtimes with UNC-Duke in NYC???!!! Ridiculous. Imagine ACC tourney competing with BE tourney during the same week. ACC would be off the hook. BE tourney will be dead in no time.

After the rest of the football schools leave it will probably be moved to Providence. 03-lmfao
09-19-2011 03:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.