Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Yahoo Sports Big East preview
Bearcatfan4life Offline
All American

I Root For:

I know we have seen a million of these by now, but I just wanted to post this to illustrate the difference between good journalism, and that crap that was posted the other day (Rivals). I'm interested in what he had to say about UC, since I'm a Bearcat fan.

Quote:8. Cincinnati Bearcats  Team page | Schedule | Roster
The Bearcats have pretty much earned the right to join the Big East by going to bowls in four of the last five years. Whether they will be able to continue that success depends on just how well second-year head coach Mark Dantonio does.

There are replacements needed everywhere on offense with the loss of sensational quarterback Gino Guidugli, most of the offensive line and the leading running back and wide receiver. Defensively, the top eight starters also are nowhere to be found. In other words, this is a classic rebuilding year.

However, UC fans should be happy and just a little bit patient knowing the Bearcats now are a part of the haves – as opposed to the have-nots – when it comes to getting a piece of the BCS pie.

Instead of bad mouthing the recruits that haven't stepped on the field yet, or making false statements about the program, showing the lack of research that was done for the article, pretending like UC doesn't belong in the Big East, this national article focuses on what it should for the Bearcats. We have done well in recent years in football, and it is up to Mark Dantonio to see how far he will take us. We are happy to be part of the BCS, and should enjoy that this year. We all know we won't be very good this year, because of our youth. But we expect to grow this year, and it will be exciting to see how our young players progress throughout the season. Give us a few years before you judge how well we do, or don't, belong in the Big East for football.

<a href='http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-bigeastpreview080805&prov=yhoo&type=lgns' target='_blank'>http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb...=yhoo&type=lgns</a>
08-09-2005 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Doesn't hurt to get a little positive pub from an alum of a BE school....too bad other alums of BE schools can't be as positive...Pitt's Mark May comes to mind as a regular BE basher

Jackson
08-09-2005 09:51 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Terry Bowden has also made several very negative comments about the BE and whether it is deserving of a BCS bid.
08-09-2005 10:09 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

That article tells me one thing....It wasn't written by anybody associated with the piss poor media in the city of Cincinnati.

At least they got the bowl history situation right....that one numb-nuts the other day wrote in a national article that UC's bowl game last year was their "first in a decade"........NUMB-NUTS.......prob. O$U Homer.

I read an article today in Sporting News that basically said the Big East is on the way down and said their new bowl tie-ins were as exciting as "Cincinnati vs. S.Florida in November"........nice dig. Most likely OSU scum who wrote it. They hate it that UC is now in a bowl alliance.

Just so fellow Big East Member fans can be aware...The Ohio State University...as they like to be called....has many homers working for rivals, scouts, etc. The game these loser play is....if the recruit is someone OSU is looking at he is automatically top 100 and if he actually signs with OSU then he gets moved to Top 50. It's all a self-perpetuating sham by that Classless piece of $hit school in Dirty Columbus
08-09-2005 10:11 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

wvucrazed Wrote:Terry Bowden has also made several very negative comments about the BE and whether it is deserving of a BCS bid.
Terry Bowden needs to shut his pie-hole about the Big East and get back to his inspirational talks he gives for a small fee of $5,000-$7,500...HONESTLY.....what the Frick is he going to say to a group of people worth 5K?.....what, is he going to tell people how to quit midway through a football season with a 1-5 record?

What a pud.

And now for your viewing entertainment....Let's meet Terry Bowden!!!!!!

Terry Bowden

Terry Bowden is 4 things: first, he's a quitter, which explains why he quit in MIDSEASON in the first year of a 7 year contract with the University of Auburn. Second, he's a loser, as was evidenced by his 1-5 record that his team compiled at the beginning of his final season. Third, he's an idiot, as you will soon learn, and fourth, he's a studio analyst for ABC's college football show. I guess they think the public needs to learn more about quitting and losing. Bowden has been checked into the Hotel of Fools because of his comments he made during ABC's Bowl Championship Series (BCS) selection program.

It was obvious to even the most casual of viewers that ABC was exerting their influence on which two teams would be chosen as at-large bids to the BCS bowls (that ABC had exclusive television rights to broadcast). The two teams in the championship game are determined by a BCS formula, which is supposedly an unbiased formula using rankings, records, and strength of schedule to determine relative team strengths. BCS proponents (read: Southeastern Conference Commissioner Roy Kramer and ABC) say it only serves to pick two teams. However, it were such a fine system, it should work for all games, no? ABC says this, so that they can pick popular teams, instead of highly ranked teams in the BCS formula. Last year, Kansas State was ranked #3 in their formula, yet were passed up. This year Kansas State was ranked #6, yet a lower ranked Michigan team was chosen, instead. Kansas State had a better record, was ranked higher in the polls, and ranked higher in the BCS formula. Keep in mind, that the BCS formula balances MANY factors, and none should be singled out, if it were complete.

However, ABC had to justify itself to the casual viewers who could smell the rotten egg they had laid. Bowden, therefore, grabbed his microphone and took the company line (or else he was ordered to do so). He said that Kansas State was passed up because of it's out-of-conference schedule, and that if they continued to schedule such teams, they would continue to be passed up. He said that they will never get into the BCS playing such teams.

Kansas State coach Bill Snyder responded by saying, "I'll get there quicker than he will." Snyder went to add, "Terry Bowden is wrong and anyone else that wants to address it that way in regards to the BCS. How do we get get into the BCS? You beat Texas A&M [in 1998], and you're in the BCS, right? Then you're playing for a national championship. It's all up to us. If we win last year and don't lose on the last play of the ball game against Texas A&M, we are playing for a national championship, and if we don't lose to Nebraska we're playing in the BCS. Maybe not in the Sugar Bowl, but we're playing in the BCS. It's that simple. It's what we do. It's not your perception, or Terry Bowden's, or anybody else out there that thinks that they have a stronghold on how people should schedule."

How true. Bowden is either a) an idiot or b) a liar. It is possible to get into the BCS with the existing schedule, which was the point Snyder made. Odd, isn't it, that 3 games (out of 11) are singled out when passing judgement, when the formula considers all 11 games, as well as the rankings of the pollsters and computers? And why didn't Bowden mention Virginia Tech? Why were they put in the BCS while playing Alabama-Birmingham and division I-AA James Madison? What about Wisconsin, whose strength-of-schedule rating was worse than Kansas State's?

Well, I think we know the answer. Bowden is either a bumbling idiot, which may explain that 1-5 record, or else he was simply selling out to ABC and lying for the company. Either case, he has earned a plush suite in the Hotel of Fools.
08-09-2005 10:19 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

Bearcats#1 Wrote:BCS proponents (read: Southeastern Conference Commissioner Roy Kramer and ABC) say it only serves to pick two teams. However, it were such a fine system, it should work for all games, no? ABC says this, so that they can pick popular teams, instead of highly ranked teams in the BCS formula. Last year, Kansas State was ranked #3 in their formula, yet were passed up. This year Kansas State was ranked #6, yet a lower ranked Michigan team was chosen, instead. Kansas State had a better record, was ranked higher in the polls, and ranked higher in the BCS formula. Keep in mind, that the BCS formula balances MANY factors, and none should be singled out, if it were complete.
Um first, a few facts.

Final BCS standings

Michigan #13
KSU NA

Michigan #4
KSU #10

KSU #8
Michigan #11

KSU #6
Michigan #8

Michigan has only been selected as an at-large for the BCS in 1999, otherwise they went in as B10 champs. In 1999 they were selected to face Alabama in what many old-schoolers were drooling over a contest of two classic programs that don't meet too often. And unless I'm mistaken, it was the Orange Bowl Committee's choice to make as the title game was in N'Orlens that year.

Did Kansas get jobbed? Probably, but that's a knife that cuts both ways. So long as the BCS conferences want a bowl system instead of a playoff, they too must accept being victims of the bowls serving their own interest. Since Kansas State was still in the infancy of their program's rise to prominance, I can understand why Michigan held more appeal to the Orange Bowl. (understanding does not = approval, mind you.) Remember, Michigan has a wee bit more people (read: TVs) in the state than does Kansas.

True, Terry Bowden did offer some less than intelligent words. I'm guessing all of us have done that, too. But you can be happy the Karma has come back around: He'll likely never coach again, not at a top program anyway, and his TV gig is only safe until a brighter star comes into town. Might happen sooner rather than later if ABC's pass on the BCS blows up in their face. Plus Auburn suffered a little for letting him get away with those comments. They finally go undefeated again (for the first time since Terry helped them do it while on probation) and it's the BCS that prevents them from playing for the national title!

To his credit Terry went 46-12-1 before that last season in Auburn. Granted it may not all have been accomplished above board... 03-wink
08-10-2005 01:38 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.