Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
The end of the postseason NIT?
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I know its football time...but I just heard that the NCAA is going to buy the NIT and it may be the end of that very old tournament....How does everyone feel about the NIT going away? I always enjoyed watching the games in between the NCAA games and liked going to the "home games" WVU has been awarded over the yrs from that tourney

Jackson
08-17-2005 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

3rd Wise Man Offline
1st String

I Root For: X

i SERIOUSLY doubt that it's going away. in fact it most likely won't be altered in any way. miba will still be able to administer it. it's just that it will be owned by the ncaa and the ncaa will be flipping the bill for it rather than miba. the only reason they offered to buy it was to settle the lawsuit.
08-17-2005 05:19 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

My understanding is that the NCAAs will now run both the pre-season and post-season NITs in addition to the NCAAs.

The post-season NIT will continue with an emphasis on giving the bubble teams who didn't make it into the NCAAs the best shot of making it to MSG (or whereever the semi-finals and finals) will be played.

Cheers,
Neil
08-17-2005 05:20 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Looks like you guys are right...just dug up this article....it would be a real loss for college hoops if the NIT went away

Jackson

NCAA settlement includes purchase of NIT
From staff reports
NEW YORK — The NCAA has purchased the preseason and postseason National Invitation Tournaments as part of a $56.5 million settlement of a federal antitrust lawsuit with the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Association (MIBA) — an organization comprised of five New York City schools that have owned the NIT events since the 1940s.

NCAA President Myles Brand and New York University president John Sexton announced the agreement at a press conference Wednesday at Madison Square Garden.

Terms of the agreement both transfer the ownership of the tournaments ($40.5 million) and end the litigation ($16 million). The combined amounts will be paid over a 10-year period.

The agreement ends litigation that has been ongoing between the two parties for four years.

MIBA sued the NCAA in 2001, claiming antitrust violations with regard to the Association's Division I Men's Basketball Championship.

The trial began Aug. 1 and was suspended Tuesday when lawyers told the court a settlement was imminent. The jury was sent home Tuesday and did not return Wednesday.

"This is an historic day for men's college basketball," said Brand in a statement. "The agreement provides the NCAA with an opportunity to better define the college basketball season and to build on the status of the two NIT events. We intend to grow these tournaments to showcase college basketball and the student-athletes who make the game great."

Operation of the events by the NCAA will commence this fall.

ESPN will continue to broadcast the tournaments.

Finals of the tournaments will continue to be held in the New York City area for at least the next five years.
08-17-2005 05:24 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

i would love to see the NIT expanded to 64 teams. EVERY YEAR there are several 20+ win teams from the low-major and mid-major conferences with no post-season play.

I'm sorry, if a UVA can get in at 14-14, then College of Charleston should be rewarded for their great season at 21-9.
08-17-2005 05:54 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.