Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hurd may first his first love on Saturday
muvet
Unregistered

Hurd may face his first love

Don Ruiz; The News Tribune

On Saturday, freshman quarterback Chris Hurd may lead Washington State against California, the team he loved since before he can remember.

This was Hurd's introduction to Golden Bears football: John Elway leads Stanford to a field goal that puts the Cardinal ahead with four seconds left.

On the ensuing kickoff, Cal laterals - and laterals and laterals - with the fifth desperation toss going to tight end Kevin Moen, who scores the winning touchdown, finally bowling over a Stanford band member in the end zone.

The Play.

Hurd was there. He was 5 months old.

Hurd was born to a Bear-loving family in Antioch, Calif., about 40 miles from the Cal campus.

His father, Mike Hurd, was an assistant track coach at Cal for five years.

Chris Hurd went to the games, grew into a fine quarterback, and dreamed of playing for the Bears.

During his career at Deer Valley High School, the honors poured in: Preseason Top 20 quarterbacks in the nation, The News Tribune's Western 100, Prep Star Magazine's top signal caller in Northern California and Top 10 on the West Coast.

But no scholarship offer came from Tom Holmoe, then coach at California.

One came instead from Washington State, which saw a 6-foot-2, 220-pound prospect with quick feet and the powerful arm that has become a tradition on the Palouse.

If Hurd's love of the Bears went back further than his memory, he vividly remembers the day it ended.

"I broke all ties to Cal when I signed my letter of intent to Washington State," Hurd said.

So did his family, who will be at Memorial Stadium on Saturday as the Cougars and Bears open Pacific-10 Conference play.

"When I signed my letter of intent they all became Cougars rather than Bears," Hurd said. "They'll be wearing crimson and gray."

No one knows yet how much they'll see of their son.

That depends on the health of senior Jason Gesser, the starting quarterback, who suffered a dislocated rib Saturday against Montana State.

And it depends on the health of junior Matt Kegel, the No. 2 quarterback who suffered a bruised knee in the same game.

Gesser and Kegel each returned to practice this week. But Hurd got the most repetitions with the starting unit.

"It's exciting, playing football again," Hurd said. "There's no sport better than football. I'm just looking forward to the opportunity. The team always comes first, and if I can bring something to the table and help the team win, that's what I'm going to do."

Hurd's heavy practice schedule doesn't necessarily mean key playing time Saturday, said coach Mike Price. It's just a precaution.

Gesser, a four-year starter, knows the offense. Kegel, who gets a few series most weeks, knows the offense.

Hurd, a redshirt freshman who has thrown seven college passes, needs all the practice he can get if there's even a chance he'll be needed in such a crucial game.

Price's concern is that practice can't fully prepare a 20-year-old for his first college start. Especially in the stadium where he grew up as a fan. Especially with his family in the stands.

"I think that maybe this game means a little bit more to Chris Hurd than any game he might play just because of the influence of being around Berkeley and watching the Bears play for so many years," Price said. "That puts a little more stress on him, and that's not something that you like, to take a freshman quarterback into that situation. You want to calm him down and relieve all those distractions."

No worries, Hurd says.

His parents watched him play against Idaho and Montana State, and he was able to focus on the game.

And remember, Hurd's father was a track coach. He taught Hurd how to pole vault. Taught him well enough to win his high school district three years in a row.

Hurd says football is the best sport and that team victories are most satisfying. But he acknowledges that there is something he misses about standing alone at the end of a runway, breaking into a charge and trying to soar over a high-set bar.

"It's more of an individual sport," Hurd said. "You've got to take the pressures. The pressure is all on you."

Don Ruiz: 253-597-8808
don.ruiz@mail.tribnet.com

(Published 12:30AM, September 27th, 2002)

General Info: Privacy Policy | User Agreement | Contact Us
The Interactive Media Division of The News Tribune
09-27-2002 03:03 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RacerJoe01
Unregistered

Great article. That would be tough to have to face the team you grew up rooting for.
09-27-2002 06:36 PM
muvet
Unregistered

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
Great article. That would be tough to have to face the team you grew up rooting for.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would be tough. I was in the same situation in high school because I was all about the Washington Huskies until it was time for me to attend WSU.
09-28-2002 03:50 PM
Advertisement

RacerJoe01
Unregistered

Wow. I would've never guessed that.
09-29-2002 03:41 PM
muvet
Unregistered

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
Wow. I would've never guessed that.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah!! being that i am from the westside of washington..I grew up a husky fan!!
09-29-2002 11:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.