Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All this talk about Tier 4 I've seen on this board
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

Those in glass houses....

Check the new rankings. I'm still not sure what correlation these ranking have to do with football or basketball. Do they really matter when it comes to athletics?
08-19-2005 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights

They don't matter...but when you separate yourself from living vicariously through the student athletes, and realize you're not getting an NFL or NBA contract anytime soon - you like to know the school name on your degree carrys some weight.
08-19-2005 01:35 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Now that 25% of the Big East's football schools are tier 4 ----- I wonder if they'll be a little more willing to challenge the criteria used to judge these schools academically ---

Ranking items like "freshman retention," "predicted and actual graduation," "percent of class under 20 years old," and "alumni giving rate" are suspect IMHO ---
08-19-2005 01:46 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

st932253 Wrote:They don't matter...but when you separate yourself from living vicariously through the student athletes, and realize you're not getting an NFL or NBA contract anytime soon - you like to know the school name on your degree carrys some weight.
I think there are plenty of so called Tier 4 schools whose names carry plenty of weight. They can call Memphis Tier 4 till the cows come in. The fact of the matter is that University of Memphis law graduates have had higher bar pass rate percentages than both Vanderbilt and Tennessee for something like 10 years running.

I'm not trying to say that Memphis or Louisville are Harvard and Yale, but the criteria that they use for some of these rankings are skewed. For example, urban schools like Memphis or Louisville traditionally have a lot of older students and also students who are both working full time and going to school and these rankings penalize schools like that because schools are penalized if students don't graduate in 5 years.

Who's to say that your education is any worse because it took 6 years to graduate instead of 4? I, for example, worked 30-40 hours a week most of my undergraduate days. Because of that, I never took more than 12 hours a semester. I graduated in 5 1/2 years, but that doesn't make my education any less who didn't work and graduated in 4 years.
08-19-2005 02:31 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS

3601 Wrote:
st932253 Wrote:They don't matter...but when you separate yourself from living vicariously through the student athletes, and realize you're not getting an NFL or NBA contract anytime soon - you like to know the school name on your degree carrys some weight.
I think there are plenty of so called Tier 4 schools whose names carry plenty of weight. They can call Memphis Tier 4 till the cows come in. The fact of the matter is that University of Memphis law graduates have had higher bar pass rate percentages than both Vanderbilt and Tennessee for something like 10 years running.

I'm not trying to say that Memphis or Louisville are Harvard and Yale, but the criteria that they use for some of these rankings are skewed. For example, urban schools like Memphis or Louisville traditionally have a lot of older students and also students who are both working full time and going to school and these rankings penalize schools like that because schools are penalized if students don't graduate in 5 years.

Who's to say that your education is any worse because it took 6 years to graduate instead of 4? I, for example, worked 30-40 hours a week most of my undergraduate days. Because of that, I never took more than 12 hours a semester. I graduated in 5 1/2 years, but that doesn't make my education any less who didn't work and graduated in 4 years.
yeah, what he said......
08-19-2005 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Tigers2B1 Wrote:Now that 25% of the Big East's football schools are tier 4 

I think you need to brush up on your math.
08-19-2005 04:47 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

He's right. UL and USF are in Tier 4 now. If half of 8 is 4 which equals 50% then 25% of 8 would be 2 (UL & USF).
08-19-2005 05:33 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Smack. Give me a break. It was fine to talk about Tier 4 until Louisville dropped.
08-19-2005 08:42 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

04-rock Ok, where do you want it! 03-puke
08-19-2005 08:47 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown

For the record, two are in the top 25 and five are in the top 60:

18. Notre Dame
23. Georgetown

50. Syracuse
58. Pitt
60. Rutgers
08-19-2005 09:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

DFW HOYA Wrote:For the record, two are in the top 25 and five are in the top 60:

18. Notre Dame
23. Georgetown

50. Syracuse
58. Pitt
60. Rutgers
Yep, but Notre Dame is slightly overrated as a University. Its really only good for undergraduate work or an MBA. Georgetown on the other hand is amazing and should be top 15. Rutgers, Cuse, Pitt are all underrated as well. Rutgers and Pitt on another ranking are tied for #43 school in the world, a set of rankings which in my humble opinion are far less skewed.
08-19-2005 10:17 PM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
Tigers2B1 Wrote:Now that 25% of the Big East's football schools are tier 4 

I think you need to brush up on your math.
You need to work on that IQ --
08-19-2005 10:49 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

It's 25% NOW, Louisville JUST dropped to 4th Tier.
08-19-2005 11:48 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Cat's_Claw Wrote:It's 25% NOW, Louisville JUST dropped to 4th Tier.
Isn't that what he said?
08-22-2005 01:23 PM
CardinalZen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Who cares what a 4th Tier news magazine's biased rankings say? 3601 is correct. The finished product is what counts. According to this Wall Street Journal <a href='http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/college/feederschools.htm' target='_blank'>article</a> Louisville is in pretty good company.
08-23-2005 10:38 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

CardinalZen Wrote:Who cares what a 4th Tier news magazine's biased rankings say?&nbsp; 3601 is correct.&nbsp; The finished product is what counts.&nbsp; According to this Wall Street Journal <a href='http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/college/feederschools.htm' target='_blank'>article</a> Louisville is in pretty good company.
So Tier 4 means nothing now that you dropped?? Go figure....A few of you made it know how great it was to be ranked about some C-USA schools. Now overall the Big East is behind the C-USA with academics. The Big East is now 25% Tier 4.
08-28-2005 08:35 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

03-puke Go away! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
08-28-2005 10:46 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

KNIGHTTIME Wrote:
CardinalZen Wrote:Who cares what a 4th Tier news magazine's biased rankings say?&nbsp; 3601 is correct.&nbsp; The finished product is what counts.&nbsp; According to this Wall Street Journal <a href='http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/college/feederschools.htm' target='_blank'>article</a> Louisville is in pretty good company.
So Tier 4 means nothing now that you dropped?? Go figure....A few of you made it know how great it was to be ranked about some C-USA schools. Now overall the Big East is behind the C-USA with academics. The Big East is now 25% Tier 4.
I am sure that you are wrong about cusa being superior to the BE acedemically. But even if you are correct, who cares? 03-razz We are still far superior athletically in fb and bb, the only 2 sports that count. That explains why our 4th place team is rated 9 spots ahead of cusa first place team. 03-razz 03-razz So take your "acedemicaly superior conference", crap back over to the cusa board.

BTW, this is a sports board, not an acedemics board. So if you want to find someone who is impressed with your acedemically superior conference, go find your self an acedemics board to talk smack about acedemics. :laugh:<a href='http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt04.htm' target='_blank'>Sagarin ratings</a>

Its pitiful that you come to a BE sports smack board, and you can only talk smack about acedemics. 03-razz :wave: :laugh:
08-29-2005 06:54 AM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

when you're a fan of central florida, you gotta scramble to find anything to cheer about.
08-29-2005 09:24 AM
Quote this message in a reply
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

gruehls Wrote:when you're a fan of central florida, you gotta scramble to find anything to cheer about.
Hey, I'm just bringing up points made by Big East schools just a few weeks ago.
08-29-2005 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.