GAME #2 - APPRENTICE W 76-0 (1-1)
Bookmark and Share
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
Exclamation GAME #2 - APPRENTICE W 76-0 (1-1)
Ok, the Builders lost 42-3 to Salisbury (Md), a D-3 school last week. (Salisbury did make the D-3 playoffs last year.) Apprentice went 2-8 last year.

A lot of rolling-of-the-eyes with this game on the schedule. 40 point win? 50?
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 05:18 PM by OrangeCamel.)
09-06-2011 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

professorcamel Offline
Water Engineer

RE: GAME #2 - APPRENTICE
40 or 50 point win? Let's start praying now. Would suck to get beat by boat builders.
09-06-2011 08:07 AM
oldcamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: campbell
Looking forward to getting back down to the Creek for the first game. Every team deserves to schedule one game like this a year, we just better make sure we handle business!
09-06-2011 10:16 AM
wacamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell U.
No disrespect intended towards our opponent, but I really don't see the value in the decision to schedule this game. Maybe no one else locally was available to play this date when the scheduling was completed, but it seems that a good regional rivalry game would have made a nice home opener. The game against ODU was good for our program; let us see strengths and weaknesses. No prediction, just hope that we can execute for four quarters.

Go Camels!
09-06-2011 08:00 PM
Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

I'll take a win!
:dirtyvegas:

See you guys in the Creek!
09-07-2011 11:31 AM
camelsinthecreek Offline
Water Engineer

(09-06-2011 08:00 PM)wacamel Wrote:  No disrespect intended towards our opponent, but I really don't see the value in the decision to schedule this game. Maybe no one else locally was available to play this date when the scheduling was completed, but it seems that a good regional rivalry game would have made a nice home opener. The game against ODU was good for our program; let us see strengths and weaknesses. No prediction, just hope that we can execute for four quarters.

Go Camels!

I agree it would be nice if they scheduled more local teams. I’m guessing that when you are a non-scholarship program you options are limited for scheduling competitive non-conference games. As we saw this past weekend, scheduling only scholarship teams doesn’t really work. I wonder if scheduling one of the lower tier Big South teams might be a good option to see how the CU programs stands at this point. Another option is new scholarship programs (GSU last year and this year and Charlotte in 2013 and 2014), but there aren’t that many of them. At least UVA Wise and Apprentice are within reasonable driving distance. According to their websites, CU is supposed to travel to Apprentice next year and UVA-Wise is supposed to play in Buies Creek. Seems like more local home and away games with Methodist or Greensboro (same conference as Apprentice) would be good for both teams with increased attendance and rivalries. Be interesting to see next year’s schedule.
09-07-2011 05:01 PM
Advertisement

camelsinthecreek Offline
Water Engineer

(09-06-2011 07:39 AM)OrangeCamel Wrote:  Ok, the Builders lost 42-3 to Salisbury (Md), a D-3 school last week. (Salisbury did make the D-3 playoffs last year.) Apprentice went 2-8 last year.

A lot of rolling-of-the-eyes with this game on the schedule. 40 point win? 50?

In this week's "This Week in Campbel Football" coach's show it was mentioned that Campbell and Apprentice used to play each other in the 1920-30's. The last game appeared to have been in 1935 with Apprentice winning 61-0.
09-07-2011 08:13 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

RE: GAME #2 - APPRENTICE W 76-0 (1-1)
76-0 final score and it could have been worse.

Glad to see the new helmet design. Same "CU" logo all over the place now.
09-10-2011 05:29 PM
Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

Man... I was wrong.

That got sad, really fast. 55 in the first half.
09-10-2011 07:07 PM
camelsinthecreek Offline
Water Engineer

(09-10-2011 07:07 PM)Small_Wonder Wrote:  Man... I was wrong.

That got sad, really fast. 55 in the first half.

I’m not sure what we learned about Campbell from this game. It was obvious from the first series of the game that there was no way Apprentice was going to be able to stop the offense. I think you just have to give CU credit for going out and taking care of business. One interesting point, how did they decide to only play a 10 min 4th quarter? There isn’t a mercy rule in college football? It seemed odd but not inappropriate under the circumstances.
09-10-2011 08:03 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

It was a good win. We needed to prove we could bury a team. I also didn't know that quarters could be shortened at the referees discretion.
09-10-2011 10:12 PM
Advertisement

Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

I left at half time, were the teams being pleasant to each other towards the end? I could see frustrations starting to run high and turning into foul play.
09-11-2011 11:01 AM
CU97 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-10-2011 05:29 PM)OrangeCamel Wrote:  76-0 final score and it could have been worse.

Glad to see the new helmet design. Same "CU" logo all over the place now.

Actually the pants still have the old logo.
09-11-2011 04:58 PM
ETSUfan1 Online
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football
Donators
From ESPN.com

Bonus College Score Campbell 76, Apprentice 0. The Apprentice School isn't a college, rather, a vocational affiliate of a shipbuilding company. Nevertheless the Campbell Fighting Camels, leading 69-0 in the fourth quarter, kept snapping the ball to run up the score. Located in Buies Creek, N.C., Campbell University apparently does not have sportsmanship on the curriculum.
09-13-2011 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

Weird, I felt like they backed off after it was 40-0. Pretty much just ran the ball. Can't just kneel the whole game.
09-13-2011 02:09 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

I agree. The team did not rub it in and was just playing the game out after 40. Clearly ESPN just looked at the final score and didn't actually do any research on this.
09-13-2011 07:41 PM
Advertisement

camelfan Offline
Special Teams

Starters played entire first half and half the third quarter. Why do you have your starting QB running a draw up by over 60 points. Good way to get the guy hurt. We had no businesses scheduling this game. Coach showed lack of sportsmanship and class running the score up to a much inferior opponent.
09-14-2011 07:07 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

A few corrections to your statment. The starting quarterback was out after the first half and Dakota Wolf was running the offense until the final series of the second half. A half in which the Camels threw exactly one pass. The team started to rotate in backups in the first quarter. I saw several offensive lineman in that normally don't play in the first quarter (#75, #76, #74, #58).

C.J. Oates did play half of the third quarter, but that was only to attempt to give a senior that had been here five years the opportunity to get a weekly award (and it worked). The team played two running backs that had never even had career carry until Saturday the rest of the third and the entire fourth quarter. The team also ran the same halfback dive for at least six consecutive plays with one of those running backs. The team's defensive starters were out by half time and most were starting to be rotated in and out as of the first quarter. You keep playing the game until the other team stops you. A wiser man than me once said that it isn't up to the offense to stop scoring, it is up to the defense to stop them from scoring. I have no problem with the backups continuing to play hard when called upon since this might be the only time some of them will get on the field all season long or maybe for their entire careers. If the coaching staff really wanted to run it up they would have continued to pass the entire second half and not had the fourth quarter shortened. I know Coach Steele is not well liked by many, but that does not mean he wasn't trying to do everything he could to keep the score down short of taking a knee.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2011 04:36 PM by camels7778.)
09-15-2011 10:03 AM
CU97 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-15-2011 10:03 AM)camels7778 Wrote:  A few corrections to your statment. The starting quarterback was out after the first half and Dakota Wolf was running the offense until the final series of the second half. A half in which the Camels threw exactly one pass. The team started to rotate in backups in the first quarter. I saw several offensive lineman in that normally don't play in the first quarter (#75, #76, #74, #58).

C.J. Oates did play half of the third quarter, but that was only to attempt to give a senior that had been here five years the opportunity to get a weekly award (and it worked). The team played two running backs that had never even had career carry until Saturday the rest of the third and the entire fourth quarter. The team also ran the same halfback dive for at least six consecutive plays with one of those running backs. The team's defensive starters were out by half time and most were starting to be rotated in and out as of the first quarter. You keep playing the game until the other team stops you. I wiser man than me once said that isn't up to the offense to stop scoring it is up to the defense to stop them from scoring. I have no problem with the backups continuing to play hard when called upon since this might be the only time some of them will get on the field all season long or maybe for their entire careers. If the coaching staff really wanted to run it up they would have continued to pass the entire second half and not had the fourth quarter shortened. I know Coach Steele is not well liked by many but that does not mean he wasn't trying to do everything he could to keep the score down short of taking a knee.

i agree im all for running dives up the middle, not passing and subbing early and not taking the knee. you cant expect the boys who never play to come right in and just take up space. now, ive not heard coach speak to the 76-0 win. i wonder what his take on it is. hes bound to know that people are talking about it. he took enough 50-0 losses the first year. im not saying he must defend himself but maybe just touch the subject. and he may have handled it privately with their coach.
09-15-2011 11:42 AM
camelsinthecreek Offline
Water Engineer

i agree im all for running dives up the middle, not passing and subbing early and not taking the knee. you cant expect the boys who never play to come right in and just take up space. now, ive not heard coach speak to the 76-0 win. i wonder what his take on it is. hes bound to know that people are talking about it. he took enough 50-0 losses the first year. im not saying he must defend himself but maybe just touch the subject. and he may have handled it privately with their coach.

[/quote]

You can get the coach’s perspective on “This Week in Campbell Football” at

http://www.gocamels.com/sports/fball/playlists

My take on his comments is that Campbell is not concerned about the other team, they are only concerned about themselves and making sure they execute the gameplan the best they can. I think the team and coaches were put in a really bad position by having to play such a poor team. It’s early in the season so the 1st teams and a new quarterback really needed playing time. From what I saw, the players and coaches acted about as appropriately as they could under the circumstances.
BTW, according to the Apprentice website, Campbell is scheduled to return the visit to play Apprentice in Newport News next year.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2011 04:41 PM by camelsinthecreek.)
09-15-2011 04:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.