Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Corporations are...
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
"Corporations are...
...people, my friend" ~ Willard "Mitt" Romney

Romney to Hecklers: ‘Corporations Are People’

That's it Mitt...keep running for the Corporate Republican Party nomination!
08-11-2011 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: "Corporations are...
So the government creates wealth and profits? I am sure that the Huffington Post would like to be an arm of the government.
08-11-2011 01:02 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
Are you sure he didn't say "Soylent Green is..."?
08-11-2011 01:06 PM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
*facepalm*

If we elect this man...ugh.

It shouldn't happen.
08-11-2011 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Corporations are people. People create the coporations. People get paid by the corporations. People make the decisions at a corporation. Corporations do not exist without people. To think otherwise is ignorant!
08-11-2011 01:20 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Not to mention, small businesses are incorporated as well.
08-11-2011 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I dunno, in the history of politician speaking gaffes, this seems to be rather mild on the gaffe scale. It's not too difficult - even before reading the entire exchange in larger context - to figure out what he meant to say.

But small things have a way growing into a mountain on the campaign trail. Even the "Howard Dean scream", as funny as it was at the time, didn't seem like a big deal to me.
08-11-2011 01:29 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I'm confused. Are corporations made of robots? 'Cause actually, that might explain a couple things around here.....
08-11-2011 01:40 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(08-11-2011 01:40 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I'm confused. Are corporations made of robots? 'Cause actually, that might explain a couple things around here.....

No, you are not confused. The idiot liberals are.
08-11-2011 01:42 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Progressives have this persistent belief that Corporations = CEOs, CFOs, COOs and the boards of directors. What they fail to realize is that Corporations actually = mostly anonymous shareholders. Shareholders = normal Americans because our pensions and 401k's are predominantly invested in the stock market. The vast majority of people realize this - especially when we see commercials for Charlie Schwab, E-trade, etc that target the middle class.
08-11-2011 01:55 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Those mostly anonymous shareholders are not making the majority of the decisions, which is what really matters.
08-11-2011 01:59 PM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
Question for Mr. Redwingtom....What organization pays you for your time and effort?
08-11-2011 01:59 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(08-11-2011 01:55 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Progressives have this persistent belief that Corporations = CEOs, CFOs, COOs and the boards of directors. What they fail to realize is that Corporations actually = mostly anonymous shareholders. Shareholders = normal Americans because our pensions and 401k's are predominantly invested in the stock market. The vast majority of people realize this - especially when we see commercials for Charlie Schwab, E-trade, etc that target the middle class.

I always wondered if the fact that their own retirement portfolios are invested in the very companies and industries that the left hate so much ever crossed the minds of some that protest the loudest against them. Whether it is big oil, big pharma, banks, etc., most Americans with even a mutual fund are invested in those and yet they rail against corporations, likely without thinking at all.

They should at least be ideologically consistent and dump all their investments in those evil corporations. Buy stock in the government and see how much of a great ROI it really is.
08-11-2011 02:04 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2011 01:59 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Question for Mr. Redwingtom....What organization pays you for your time and effort?

It's just stupid to suggest a corporation is a person.. it's comical.

I work at a company w/ over a 1,000 employees. Do you really think they speak for the majority of us? Come on. A very small % of people at the corporation speak for the corporation.
08-11-2011 02:05 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(08-11-2011 01:59 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Those mostly anonymous shareholders are not making the majority of the decisions, which is what really matters.

Publicly traded corporations, those that have many anonymous shareholders are not by any means the majority of corporations!

I work for a $300 million Privately Held Company. In fact, the employees own 42% of it. Out of Every $1 of Net Income, the Federal Govt gets $.35, and then $.27 goes into the employees pocket via an ESOP (We have less than 400 employees). Think about that....we are doing the work, and paying personal income taxes, and then the government turns around and taxes the additional benefits of our labor. They end up taking more than we get to keep. You increase the taxes, and the employees get even less.
08-11-2011 02:06 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2011 02:04 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 01:55 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Progressives have this persistent belief that Corporations = CEOs, CFOs, COOs and the boards of directors. What they fail to realize is that Corporations actually = mostly anonymous shareholders. Shareholders = normal Americans because our pensions and 401k's are predominantly invested in the stock market. The vast majority of people realize this - especially when we see commercials for Charlie Schwab, E-trade, etc that target the middle class.

I always wondered if the fact that their own retirement portfolios are invested in the very companies and industries that the left hate so much ever crossed the minds of some that protest the loudest against them. Whether it is big oil, big pharma, banks, etc., most Americans with even a mutual fund are invested in those and yet they rail against corporations, likely without thinking at all.

They should at least be ideologically consistent and dump all their investments in those evil corporations. Buy stock in the government and see how much of a great ROI it really is.

That's ridiculous. You can dislike something and still participate in it if it's your best option. I think the road I drive on to work is **** and full of potholes, and I complain about it all the time. Doesn't mean it's not the best option available to me or that I wouldn't like it fixed or changed.
08-11-2011 02:07 PM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2011 02:06 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 01:59 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Those mostly anonymous shareholders are not making the majority of the decisions, which is what really matters.

Publicly traded corporations, those that have many anonymous shareholders are not by any means the majority of corporations!

I work for a $300 million Privately Held Company. In fact, the employees own 42% of it. Out of Every $1 of Net Income, the Federal Govt gets $.35, and then $.27 goes into the employees pocket via an ESOP (We have less than 400 employees). Think about that....we are doing the work, and paying personal income taxes, and then the government turns around and taxes the additional benefits of our labor. They end up taking more than we get to keep. You increase the taxes, and the employees get even less.

If they are working for the company, they aren't really anonymous, now are they? I find it hard to believe this situation is what miko was referring to anyways.
08-11-2011 02:08 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(08-11-2011 02:05 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 01:59 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Question for Mr. Redwingtom....What organization pays you for your time and effort?

It's just stupid to suggest a corporation is a person.. it's comical.

I work at a company w/ over a 1,000 employees. Do you really think they speak for the majority of us? Come on. A very small % of people at the corporation speak for the corporation.

Does your company fuctionally exist if those people aren't there? Who owns your company, and in the case that you are owned by a holding company, who owns the holding company?

Joes Barber shop down the street is a corporation, but does it exist with out Joe? Does the Corporation make the decisions about it or does a person/people?

Can a corporation do anything without being lead by a person/people?
08-11-2011 02:10 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(08-11-2011 02:08 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 02:06 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

If they are working for the company, they aren't really anonymous, now are they? I find it hard to believe this situation is what miko was referring to anyways.

I'm not miko.
08-11-2011 02:11 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(08-11-2011 02:08 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  If they are working for the company, they aren't really anonymous, now are they? I find it hard to believe this situation is what miko was referring to anyways.

I work for a corporation... approximately 30 of us in a company that is a little over 2 years old. It started with 3 people 28 months ago. When the incorporated with a total of 3 people were they not people? Did they not have everything on the line? Romney did not say huge publically traded corporation, from what I saw.

On a side note, I'm not a huge fan of Romney.
08-11-2011 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.