Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN/UT contract hoopla
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
ESPN/UT contract hoopla
http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/

Summary:

Texas has to get a 2nd FB game or ESPN can terminate.
Texas will try, with best effort, to secure rights to air road games in pretty much every sport/tourney/championship.
Texas will try, with best effort, to get the UIL (H.S. football championship in Texas) on ESPN after Fox's deal ends.
ESPN has first rights to contract if Texas switches conference/goes independent.
Texas can fire staff that doesn't fawn over Texas at every minute.
At Texas' expense ESPN will make video for them for pretty much anything they want.

Not really earth shattering but it does prove UT is lying. The Big 12 is dead IMHO.
08-07-2011 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bttrcool Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Pac 8
RE: ESPN/UT contract hoopla
(08-07-2011 09:38 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/

Summary:

Texas will try, with best effort, to secure rights to air road games in pretty much every sport/tourney/championship.
Texas will try, with best effort, to get the UIL (H.S. football championship in Texas) on ESPN after Fox's deal ends.
ESPN has first rights to contract if Texas switches conference/goes independent.
At Texas' expense ESPN will make video for them for pretty much anything they want.

Not really earth shattering but it does prove UT is lying. The Big 12 is dead IMHO.

First one at least isn't true.

They can try to get a second football game but if they don't it's not grounds for termination.
08-07-2011 09:49 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor

Summary:

Please cite where they must. I only saw a "desire" acknowledged.
Quote:Texas will try, with best effort, to secure rights to air road games in pretty much every sport/tourney/championship.
This must be taken in the context of both parties agreeing to stay within the rules of both the Big 12 & NCAA. They can try but there is no penalty for failure from what I have seen so far. Makes sense they'd try for their network to have content.
Quote:ESPN has first rights to contract if Texas switches conference/goes independent.
Already reported.
Quote:Not really earth shattering but it does prove UT is lying. The Big 12 is dead IMHO.

Where are they lying? ESPN moved without their knowlege on a 2nd game and they only have to check with ut if it is more than 2. The hs thing i did not see UT deny knowledge of, just the B12 thing.

As for your last statement, you have many times stated your P16 desire as a fan and my humble opinion is you are letting that influence your reasoning.
08-07-2011 09:49 PM
bttrcool Offline
2nd String

Summary:

ESPN has 60 days for exclusive negotiation if UT goes independent, yes, but if they join another conference then it's a different matter.
08-07-2011 09:53 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA

Summary:

So...this blog PROVES that the B12 is dead? You people want to believe this SO bad that it's amusing.
08-07-2011 09:55 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
There is a lot of good tidbits in that agreement.

Texas should just take its football program independent and play in the Big XII for other sport. The Big XII would probably accept that deal.

Texas would continue to play TAMU, OU, Texas Tech every year which will all now have an extra game to fill in on the year. BYU and Texas can play every year. A yearly game against LSU too.

For the remainder of the games, Texas will be playing at HOME making massive cash. They can design the schedule in such a way that they almost always win 10 games.
08-07-2011 09:58 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me it puts a pretty big broadside through the loophole Texas is depending on to get the NCAA to let them show HS games: that ESPN is making all choices for HS games independent of Texas and the the horns they no influence on ESPN's choices.

I think this contract can make a pretty solid argument for ESPN being a UT booster and the UT/ESPN relationship being in violation of NCAA recruiting rules if they use it to air HS material.

It also shows the importance of the other schools forming a B12 network to secure their conference material, third tier rights and conference championships from being poached by LHN.
08-07-2011 10:00 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
(08-07-2011 09:49 PM)Sammy11 Wrote:  Where are they lying? ESPN moved without their knowlege on a 2nd game and they only have to check with ut if it is more than 2. The hs thing i did not see UT deny knowledge of, just the B12 thing.

As for your last statement, you have many times stated your P16 desire as a fan and my humble opinion is you are letting that influence your reasoning.

I seriously doubt ESPN is going to do anything without getting UT's approval.

Yes, you are correct, I would love to see Tech, OU, OSU and Baylor in the PAC 16. Unfortunately, the PAC won't take Baylor.
08-07-2011 10:04 PM
bttrcool Offline
2nd String

(08-07-2011 10:00 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me it puts a pretty big broadside through the loophole Texas is depending on to get the NCAA to let them show HS games: that ESPN is making all choices for HS games independent of Texas and the the horns they no influence on ESPN's choices.

I think this contract can make a pretty solid argument for ESPN being a UT booster and the UT/ESPN relationship being in violation of NCAA recruiting rules if they use it to air HS material.

It also shows the importance of the other schools forming a B12 network to secure their conference material, third tier rights and conference championships from being poached by LHN.

How viable is a Big 12 Network though? The Big Ten and Pac 12 both held back 30+ football games to get their networks off the ground; the Big 12 only has nine, and the most valuable player isn't around to be a part of it. If they're going to follow the model everyone else has used they're going to have to buy back part of the Fox contract they just signed, which everyone said was necessary for holding the league together to deliver on the promises made by Beebe to UT, OU and A&M. I honestly don't see how the numbers would work out.
08-07-2011 10:09 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-07-2011 10:09 PM)bttrcool Wrote:  
(08-07-2011 10:00 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me it puts a pretty big broadside through the loophole Texas is depending on to get the NCAA to let them show HS games: that ESPN is making all choices for HS games independent of Texas and the the horns they no influence on ESPN's choices.

How viable is a Big 12 Network though? The Big Ten and Pac 12 both held back 30+ football games to get their networks off the ground; the Big 12 only has nine, and the most valuable player isn't around to be a part of it. If they're going to follow the model everyone else has used they're going to have to buy back part of the Fox contract they just signed, which everyone said was necessary for holding the league together to deliver on the promises made by Beebe to UT, OU and A&M. I honestly don't see how the numbers would work out.

That horse has left the barn for the Big 12. Kevin Weiberg pushed hard for a Big 12 Network when he was the Big 12 commissioner.

But it would be amusing if the Big 12 started its own network, transferred some football inventory to the new network, and then put most of UT's football games on the Big 12 network. 03-lmfao
08-07-2011 10:46 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Maybe I need to write a BS blog and see how many gullible quakes buy the BS I write... geez
08-07-2011 11:15 PM
Advertisement

bttrcool Offline
2nd String

(08-07-2011 10:46 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

That horse has left the barn for the Big 12. Kevin Weiberg pushed hard for a Big 12 Network when he was the Big 12 commissioner.

But it would be amusing if the Big 12 started its own network, transferred some football inventory to the new network, and then put most of UT's football games on the Big 12 network. 03-lmfao

Starting a conference network for those purposes would amount to everyone colluding to do what's worst for Texas rather than what's best for themselves. Normally I wouldn't think any group of educated and semi-powerful adults capable of such a thing but given that it's the Big 12 then, you know, maybe they would.

I feel like I'm driving by a car wreck as I watch this whole thing unfold. It's a great big mess that's going to really bad for at least one person and you're just thankful you're not a part of it.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 05:35 AM by bttrcool.)
08-07-2011 11:24 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-07-2011 10:00 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me

How viable is a Big 12 Network though? The Big Ten and Pac 12 both held back 30+ football games to get their networks off the ground; the Big 12 only has nine, and the most valuable player isn't around to be a part of it. I honestly don't see how the numbers would work out.
Only way to make it work is go back to 12 schools, You then can give UT another game and add more content for a B12 network.
08-08-2011 06:08 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
By "you people" I assuming you mean Big 12 fans and not Big East and Pac-12 fans because the guy who posted it is a Big 12 fan NoQuarter.
08-08-2011 06:39 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Summary:

Pretty interesting breakdown..and the above shows that UT would bascially have final editorial control, which is something ESPN and UT have denied in recent public statements.

Interesting that it took an A&M Fan to publish this information...as decades past, real journalist in the media would have been the first to file for this info...now, many of these "so-called" journalist just believe everything organizations like UT and ESPN spew at them as why bother with "research" that might take days to receive factual information.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 07:42 AM by KnightLight.)
08-08-2011 07:04 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-08-2011 07:04 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  Pretty interesting breakdown..and the above shows that UT would bascially have final editorial control, which is something ESPN and UT have denied in recent public statements.

Interesting that it took an A&M Fan to publish this information...as decades past, real journalist in the media would have been the first to file for this info...now, many of these "so-called" journalist just believe everything organizations like UT and ESPN spew at them as why bother with "research" that might take days to receive factual information.

+1 Most journalists are lazy. How else is it that a blogger is the first to break this news.
08-08-2011 07:30 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

It shows the worst part of this: ESPN will not report on themselves if the news isn't beneficial to them. By extension, they aren't going to investigate UT sports or run any negative stories about their partner.
08-08-2011 08:00 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(08-08-2011 06:39 AM)CatsClaw Wrote:  By "you people" I assuming you mean Big 12 fans and not Big East and Pac-12 fans because the guy who posted it is a Big 12 fan NoQuarter.

So what??? Does that make it legit? I'm sure he's experienced enough to realize what it takes to start a thread here and watch it grow like a weed.
08-08-2011 08:27 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I think it just confirms what we all suspected: any team that wants to be competitive can't stay in the Big 12 because they will never be allowed to compete fairly or maximize their revenue due to the favoritism and control that UT holds over this weak conference.
08-08-2011 09:00 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(08-07-2011 10:09 PM)bttrcool Wrote:  How viable is a Big 12 Network though? The Big Ten and Pac 12 both held back 30+ football games to get their networks off the ground; the Big 12 only has nine, and the most valuable player isn't around to be a part of it.

They do not hold back nearly that many football. For Example, the Big Ten only has 48 conference games to air, and ESPN airs 4 Big Ten games per week. Once conference season starts, they only get to air 1 or 2 games per week (and that is starting this year with 12 teams). Last year, it was even less.

(08-07-2011 10:46 PM)Wedge Wrote:  But it would be amusing if the Big 12 started its own network, transferred some football inventory to the new network, and then put most of UT's football games on the Big 12 network. 03-lmfao

That was something I actually suggested, since the would presumably partner with Fox, and since Fox would own the Big XI Network, could use second tier rights to make that happen. However, according to that article, the ESPN contract prohibits that. Now, how they can enforce that, with rights they do not own, I have no idea.

(08-08-2011 06:08 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Only way to make it work is go back to 12 schools, You then can give UT another game and add more content for a B12 network.

You don't need 12 schools to make a conference network work: The Big Ten was doing it with 11. The thing about conference networks, is that while everyone harps on football driving the bus, basketball games are what build these networks. Even the Big Ten found that since the Big schools (OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc) only have one or two games on the network, and at least one will be vs. a 1AA school, when half of the twon is actually at the game, it is hard to get distrubution showing games that few people care about. The big gams will still go national. Even rabid fan bases can live with missing one game. What made it tick was basketball, because if you did not have th enetwork, you were now missing 10-15 games per year, sometimes more depending on your school. That was what got it moving and sped up disctrubution.

Now, having 12 teams does help, but if those teams don't expand the value of your national TV contract on a per team basis, and make it more valueabel above and beyond that (as in if Fox/ESPN are paying them $15 million a year, each new team needs to bring in at least $22.5 million a year in new money to pay for thesmevles plus add a 20% return to the original teams). Especially when adding those teams means existing teams no longer get to play annual football games against Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M, the leagues biggest draws, and they can no longer all play home and home round robin basketball games against each other.
08-08-2011 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.