Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Official" Fall Practice Thread
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
"Official" Fall Practice Thread
Players report today, Sunday August 7. 02-13-banana

Can we use this thread to report developments?

Who didn't report, who is hurt, who hasn't been qualified by the NCAA, who is off to a fast start, who has weight problems, who is stronger, who is injured, who left the team, who is moving up the depth charts, recovered from injuries, position changes, etc.

Remember summer is 'blue sky' time. Everything is being thought of in terms of 'best case scenarios' - no injuries, no academic issues, no defections, no weight problems, etc.

I'd be surprised if an offensive lineman showed up 30 lbs overweight, but still there are pleasant and unwanted surprises.

Post them here.

There are those in and around campus or those who have good connections and can report the vibes.

I'm also hopeful that we'll get some good info from 'Boot's Facebook site.
08-07-2011 05:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
RE: "Official" Fall Practice Thread
EMUSteve this is a Great Idea:

May I be the 1st to share what I am hearing?

• Players (Vets, transfers, Red shirts, and recruits) have all met and seems to be getting along pretty well.

• The trash talking has started between offense and defense.

• Last season players are checking out the newcomers and sizing them up for competition.

• The vets (leaders) are leading and sharing with the newbie what the expectations are for the year.

• Some players from last year are looking in better condition/shape

• The talk is about no BS-ing on the team

• Coaches talked is about stopping the losing season and what needs to be done to win the MAC championship

• LT is the leader on the defensive side of the ball

• The RB, WR, LB, DB knows it will be a fight for playing time (Summer FB shoud be good)

• The NIU game last season was a game, players and coaches were not happy with the effort and want to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

• Coaches are not accepting lack of effort
this season. The bar has been raised.

• The game against WMU, CMU and NIU are (benchmark) key games for everyone.

• Gregory and Shaq Joyner loved their visit to EMU and they are our recruit to lose.

• The coaches are glad with where they are with the 2012 recruiting crop but still wanting more.
08-07-2011 12:55 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

One vibe I've heard is that all players who were to be present yesterday were.

That kind of news is good to hear.
08-08-2011 10:16 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

Are there any news from yesterday workout?

The things I heard are the FB team are going from 6:45am - 10:00pm at night.
The team is split by floors defense on one and offense on the other floor
Their routine is team breakfast, practice, position meeting, team lunch, film, team meeting, position (again), practice again, team dinner, team meeting, and then bed. Somedays they must lift.

Team meeting conversations are about " being responsible for the team winning" and "what have you done to make everyone on the team better"
There is just helmets no pads and contact starts on Saturday.
They are doing 7 on 7's and linemen drills
The RS's and 2010 recruiting class are looking okay (bigger and better shape)
Lots quickness & of speed on defense
WR (not too sure) didn't see much surprises
LB JUCO recruits are small but can get to the ball
DL Linemen's didn't look too big (except a few)
OL are some big asses not fat, few are fat.
With the speed we have our ST will should be much better.
08-09-2011 10:24 AM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
it is as fall practice for volleyball and soccer
08-09-2011 01:21 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

(08-09-2011 01:21 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  it is as fall practice for volleyball and soccer

???????????
08-09-2011 01:43 PM
Advertisement

Eagles2008 Offline
2nd String

(08-09-2011 01:43 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  
(08-09-2011 01:21 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  it is as fall practice for volleyball and soccer

???????????

I guess because they are actually in Summer camp right now.
08-09-2011 02:20 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-09-2011 02:20 PM)Eagles2008 Wrote:  
(08-09-2011 01:43 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  

???????????

I guess because they are actually in Summer camp right now.

I forgot to put the word "Football" in the thread title. 03-lmfao
08-09-2011 05:21 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

08-09-2011 09:49 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

was at afternoon practice. Watched mostly the defensive back field and punting. I saw some good safeties and bad safeties it was ether that or our recievers are really good. Punting: #37 was good 50 to 60 yard punts with good hang time on most, #67 all so punted his was 45 to 55 yards half with good hang time the others were line drives. The lines where going on but I didn't see much but I did notice them going at pretty good both sidwe looked to be nearly the same in size. Soccer tomorrow maybe. I have charity fund raising going on this weekend in Dexter Days. All so Volleyball and Soccer are practicing at almost the same time. Soccer looks to be really solid this year no real injurys that I know of, Volleyball looks very good all we need is a middle blocker to step up to take a MAC title.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 05:23 PM by emussuperfan.)
08-10-2011 05:15 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

You said the DB and safety was good and bad. Who was were the good and bad? This is a important position for us this year...
08-10-2011 06:15 PM
Advertisement

emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(08-10-2011 06:15 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  You said the DB and safety was good and bad. Who was were the good and bad? This is a important position for us this year...

I well not say at this time because it is so early and the coaches got on them and explaned what they needed to do. And another some numbers were used by more than one player. But I saw only one dropped ball by a reciever but then I watched them a lot less.
08-10-2011 06:44 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Soooooo.... From reading Superfan's comments, can we deduce that the DB's who share a number with another player had some issues today? That would be:
Scott
Thomas
Strange
And Kathalay?

I wouldn't panic. That's a good group.
08-10-2011 09:04 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Is today the first day of full pads practice????

(full pads practice might not be bad to watch).
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 06:33 AM by emu steve.)
08-12-2011 06:32 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

Yes today is the 1st full pad and hitting. I will be posting some thoughts later
08-12-2011 05:46 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I'm curious for those who have a good handle on fall ball...

Will 'revised' two deeps be pretty well determined within the next 7 or 8 days?

What I mean is that by a week Monday will the 2-deeps be essentially revised to reflect fall camp developments????

I believe we have been working off the premise that no one who did not attend EMU 2nd semester (Jan-Apr) was included in the INITIAL two deeps.

That is 'to be eligible' for the INITIAL two deeps last moth the player must have played in '10, or redshirted, or transferred in starting in January '11 (like the JUCOs did).

Excluded would the the frosh, Henderson, etc. who until this week (actually yesterday) never practiced with pads on.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2011 08:33 AM by emu steve.)
08-13-2011 08:30 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

One side note on 2-deeps.

I doubt there is any position other then maybe one (?) OL position which didn't have a returnee who was a starter or the backup from last November's depth chart.

(some schools lose both their starter and back up at certain positions. We didn't).
08-13-2011 09:03 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

Hi EMU fan, sorry for the long delay, here is what I believe I seen during the practice on Friday and Saturday.

The team was doing 9 on 7: This is when 9 offense players go against 7 defense players. Plenty of action and good hitting, lots of overall team speed equally on both sides of the football. The OL & DL linemen's were working very hard... I overwhelmed with them and their body shape and condition.

RB:
The RB's competition will be hot/interesting, the returning players (Greene & Sherrer) are working hard and should be feeling the heat from (Freshman) Ryan Brumfield who is keeping heat on them for playing time. Brumfield is a lot quicker and faster then most people thought (especially me). Right now he is about 4th on the depth chart but moving up fast!

QB:
Gilbert surely is better but his throwing is not as actuate as I had hoped. He's still a very good runner. I am not sure if this is what RE wants in a QB. Benz shows more with the passing but is not much of a runner (Go-figure). Iannotti has picked up a lot of weight (fat). I would move him to TE he about 225-230 now (WTF) he can still throw the football very well. Doesn't matter if he is play QB if we lands Gregory from Chicago.

OL:
Looks good and seem to be in rhythm from what I can tell. You can tell Coach Anderson has worked on the guys’ footwork because they are passing blocking better, pulling with good spacing with arms extended. They used many different people, and swapped them around alot to see what the difference line packages looked like. I think we will be strong at this position; with lots of depth at all OL positions.

TE:
We lost a TE with a broken ankle on Friday; this could change things around. Saw the freshman, T Russell who is fast, big, but dropped 3 passes but he was open. I think somebody else could get move to sure up this area. Freshman D. Brook is slow and needs work.

WR:
I was not impressed with these guys, either our DB are much better or we are not as strong as I had hoped at the WR position. Maybe I am wrong but I thought this was our strongest position. K. Thomas looked good and Donald Scott looked good. The kid who shocked me was the freshman Demarius Scott. This kid definitely will see the field this year, he is smart and understands how to get open and he is hard to tackle. J. Shebly is a not showing me anything.

DL:
They looked good, nothing to write home about. I am still waiting to see Devin Henderson on the field. Not sure why he is not dressed. (I am questioning this now). The defense 4-3 may be something they may rethink. Lots of bodies were subbing in and out getting their butts chewed out by coaches. (I bet the classroom film watching is interesting) DE's should be strong and interesting to watch.

LB:
Nothing new from what I seen before. As I said in an earlier thread, they are short but fast, smart, quick, good bulk. The coaches was working with them a lot on taking correct angles to make tackles and shedding blocks. I may be a homer but this area is so much better. I am not sure where M. English fits in but he is better then last year. The JUCO’s have this area locked down. My thoughts are on the depth-chart, if one of the JUCO’s gets hurt. We are in trouble.

DB:
D Scott is surprising coach Snow; he was receiving reps with the 1st team and 2nd team defense. I am sure the vets DB’s are aware of his talents. D. Scott covers his man well. His main problems may be his size and strength. At the safety spot, I am a little disappointed here. L. Thomas is a beast and will lock down his spot as a FS. Pollard looked lost and was not what I had hoped. Again this is only the summer and lots of camp is still left. Cotton may push for the other safety spot by default because Cardwell is having ankle problems. Cotton had one of the 4 big hits that caused the coaches to get excited when he took on Sherrer in a 1-on-1 tackle. The other big hits were by Cudworth, L.Thomas and Kurtz

SP:
Looks good with D. Scott and D. Reed back there returning punts and Kickoffs, causing problems with their speed.. Kicking was good and coverage was much improved..

Coaches:
The coaches all seems to be on the same page. It looks like we have a new DB coach because Snow was working with the safeties. English seems to be in control of things and challenging players’ if they made more then once mistakes and if their energy level is lacking. English is a in your face coach and wants it done correctly. He said a few times "no mental mistakes are allowed and will cost you playing time" I like this and he said “no job is promise to anyone" (RE can be mean) maybe he is sick of losing.

PS, before anyone start knocking my comments please remember I am not an expert and these are my interpretation on the field. I am new to EMU football but I do know college football. Also please remember many of these guys have jersey numbers who I don't know who they were. The action is very fast and the coaches pace was extremely fast. Others please feel Free to write something to this thread. It would make if more interesting.
08-14-2011 05:32 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Which TE broke an ankle?
08-14-2011 07:31 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I asked someone (a player) on the team and they said his name was Xander, they said he switched from long snapper. That all the information they gave me....
08-14-2011 07:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.