2nd String

I Root For: the underdog
Subsidies in Division I Athletics
Thought some might find this interesting:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2...able_n.htm

East Tennessee State Atlantic Sun
Subsidy in 2006: 82% $6,949,987
Subsidy in 2010: 78% $8,490,981

Now... before the "why can't afford football" folks chime in... think about the lost revenue potential that ETSU has experienced since the loss of conference affiliation with the SoCon (NCAA tourney money thanks to Davidson) and the game guarentees for football. I'd estimated over 60% from just eyeballing the data but here are the real numbers, much larger than I suspected.
06-28-2011 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chattanoogamocs Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: team you hate
RE: Subsidies in Division I Athletics
(06-28-2011 05:20 PM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  Thought some might find this interesting:

Now... before the "why can't afford football" folks chime in... think about the lost revenue potential that ETSU has experienced since the loss of conference affiliation with the SoCon (NCAA tourney money thanks to Davidson) and the game guarentees for football. I'd estimated over 60% from just eyeballing the data but here are the real numbers, much larger than I suspected.

Article from the Times-Free Press (Wednesday edition) that talks about this subject...and makes mention of ETSU...

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jun/...ssue-area/
06-29-2011 12:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buc66 Online
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(06-28-2011 05:20 PM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  Thought some might find this interesting:

This data comes from USA TODAY database: What NCAA schools spend on athletics:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/n...nances.htm

Some interesting numbers here. Its divided into Revenue and Expenses. Click on the year and enter, and it'll open the school select option. One can compare ETSU's final year in the SoCon, 2004-5, with the following years in the A-Sun up through 2009-10. Of course, there can be no comparison between a football year and a non-football year with the data. Straight, perhaps you can pull some numbers from this data to drive home your point. I find it most interesting when comparing ETSU's expenditure on athletics with that of some other football playing FCS schools. Seems that ETSU spends more than some of its fellow TBR schools, who, as we all know continue to play football, and it is in line with several of its old SoCon FCS schools. Subsidizing athletics, especially at the mid-major/FCS level, is a given. Most are heavily subsidized, including ETSU. The growth of the ETSU athletic budgets over these years since the SoCon days of football is rather amazing. Also,these numbers indicate that Dave Mullins and USA Today are some $1 million + apart on ETSU expenditures, he said $9.5 million. This, to me, shows the glaring priorities of athletic expenditures at ETSU. If ETSU could no longer subsidize football because it was "losing" too much money, then what would one call a nearly 80% subsidy today to keep all the current teams afloat? Are they not losing money, and when added together, much more than football? If you are going to subsidize at nearly 80%, then why not subsidize sports that will bring you the MOST EXPOSURE and PUBLICITY? Is ETSU getting its money's worth with the money it is spending on athletics? Did ETSU drop football because of finances? Could ETSU bring football back within the current budget with a different set of athletic spending priorities?
06-29-2011 12:41 PM
Advertisement

abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(06-29-2011 12:41 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

This data comes from USA TODAY database: What NCAA schools spend on athletics:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/n...nances.htm

Some interesting numbers here. Its divided into Revenue and Expenses. Click on the year and enter, and it'll open the school select option. One can compare ETSU's final year in the SoCon, 2004-5, with the following years in the A-Sun up through 2009-10. Of course, there can be no comparison between a football year and a non-football year with the data. Straight, perhaps you can pull some numbers from this data to drive home your point. I find it most interesting when comparing ETSU's expenditure on athletics with that of some other football playing FCS schools. Seems that ETSU spends more than some of its fellow TBR schools, who, as we all know continue to play football, and it is in line with several of its old SoCon FCS schools. Subsidizing athletics, especially at the mid-major/FCS level, is a given. Most are heavily subsidized, including ETSU. The growth of the ETSU athletic budgets over these years since the SoCon days of football is rather amazing. Also,these numbers indicate that Dave Mullins and USA Today are some $1 million + apart on ETSU expenditures, he said $9.5 million. This, to me, shows the glaring priorities of athletic expenditures at ETSU. If ETSU could no longer subsidize football because it was "losing" too much money, then what would one call a nearly 80% subsidy today to keep all the current teams afloat? Are they not losing money, and when added together, much more than football? If you are going to subsidize at nearly 80%, then why not subsidize sports that will bring you the MOST EXPOSURE and PUBLICITY? Is ETSU getting its money's worth with the money it is spending on athletics? Did ETSU drop football because of finances? Could ETSU bring football back within the current budget with a different set of athletic spending priorities?

There is A LOT of info on there. But at a quick glance, it looks like to me that since we left the Socon two things have happened. 1) Ticket sales are down and 2) Team travel expenses have more than doubled. Shocker!
06-29-2011 02:03 PM
ETSUfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
I think the comment from the Times Free Press is worth mentioning:

A case in point: When East Tennessee State dropped football at the close of the 2003 season, it was supposed to do wonders for the school financially. Instead, the loss of many minority students cost ETSU significant federal funding. It even lost music majors because there was no longer a need for a marching band.

How much federal funding did the University suffer due to the decision to drop football?
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2011 02:35 PM by ETSUfan.)
06-29-2011 02:32 PM
straightfromthehorsesmouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the underdog
(06-29-2011 02:32 PM)ETSUfan Wrote:  I think the comment from the Times Free Press is worth mentioning:

A case in point: When East Tennessee State dropped football at the close of the 2003 season, it was supposed to do wonders for the school financially. Instead, the loss of many minority students cost ETSU significant federal funding. It even lost music majors because there was no longer a need for a marching band.

How much federal funding did the University suffer due to the decision to drop football?

I don't know about the amount of the federal funding BUT I do know there there's a whole lot of money being passed out to students of color to lure them to ETSU. The unfortunate thing is that these students aren't the best and brightest who are deserving of academic scholarship assistance, many are very marginal students who are not going to get any funding to attend college.

I do applaude ETSU for using all the tricks of the trade to lure students to campus BUT once they get here, THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!!! I hear that ALL THE TIME from students! I don't know the retention numbers of minority students, I'll see what I can dig up.

I don't have a problem with providing access to an opportunity BUT IT'S BEING DONE TO COVER UP THE REAL PROBLEM which is the blow that was dealt to ETSU's diversity efforts when football was dropped.
06-29-2011 06:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.