Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Blog Stetson Fans
Bookmark and Share
VolusiaCountySports Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Steston
New Blog Stetson Fans
I have created a new blog for folks who are interested in Stetson Athletics. It will be updated daily with information regarding Volusia County and the Sports scene. It will have updates on Stetson as well as other schools in the county. There will also be a focus on high school sports. If anyone is interested please take a look.
http://volusiacountysports.blogspot.com/

I am fortunate to have pretty good sources around the county, and will be posting a new article on the Stetson basketball situation in the next few days. If you look back on the last thead about Ridge Graham, my information on the other two departures was dead on based on the article that came out today in the Daytona Beach News Journal.

Hopefully I will be able to provide inside info to the Hatter Fans (as many as we have!)
06-22-2011 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stetson_1883 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Stetson Univers
RE: New Blog Stetson Fans
Here's the link to the ominous article...

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports...tions.html
06-22-2011 02:22 PM
Water Engineer

New update this morning on Stetson basketball situation
06-23-2011 09:38 AM
Stetson_1883 Offline
Bench Warmer

Ridge got tossed due to plagarism.

How is the new coach going to fill all of these shoes?

It's not like SU can get any worse.
06-23-2011 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Stetson_1883 Offline
Bench Warmer

VCS, I love the new coverage you've started to provide.

Yet this SU BBALL program has been a sinking ship for 2 decades and will continue to be until they get a new gym or authenticate and legitimate the current staff that they have. There's too many folks in that department who have been there FAR too long and they are entrenced in a program which demands far beyond what they can produce, or even know how to. Until someone wakes up and has enough balls to clean house, this sluggish culture at SU will never change. They need people with qualified DI credentials PERIOD. But they sadly will never pay for it.

As of now, they have neither staff nor facilities. And I don't see this changing anytime soon.

I saw the clips of the new coach and I am not impressed. He'll be another cog in the machine, with losing seasons for the next 10 years, until Altier wakes up (or realizes that if he doesn't, his NEW boss will not be pleased) and decides to move on.

As far as basketball goes, Stetson's administration is...

CLUELESS.
06-23-2011 02:56 PM
Water Engineer

Give it time my friend. I know many of those folks who you deem the cause of the issues. Being comfortable is going to be a thing of the past in the athletic department. The key is the administration from the top down. It takes time for change to happen and I disagree with your assesment of the new coach. But only time will tell on that. If you were aware of who the other two finalists for the position were you would realize how little the job was thought of. So to get Alexander was a good get.

The facilities are a mute point. There were rumblings SU even turned down an offer years back for naming rights to Keep it the J. Ollie Edmunds Center. That tells you what the Doug Lee regime thought of Division 1 athletics in DeLand. Derek Waugh was able to keep the kids out of trouble win a few games here and there and take a handful of "big" wins as the supposed program building wins. In reality any success was a smokescreen. Derek is a good guy but tactically not a Division 1 coach.

It can happen at Stetson. Look at Pete Dunn. It just takes commitment, but at some point there has to be minimal success to warrant the investment
06-23-2011 03:30 PM
Lurking Dog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Drake
Hey VCS, what do you think of the prospect of Roger Hughes as the football coach?

pfl board: http://pflfan.proboards.com
06-25-2011 01:32 PM
Advertisement

Water Engineer

Well I will be doing an article this week on the new hiring. To be honest I think it is a great hire. The questions I have will be the commitment level from the University, but as far as the track record it is very good. If you can deal with recruiting in the IVY League, Stetson's academics should not be an issue.
06-29-2011 09:50 AM
MylesKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
VCS, I know it's a bit off-topic, but any inside additional info on what happened at B-CU with Coach Clifford Reed? Strange stuff..

Thanks for the SU info btw.. Not since the days of KOS (King of Stetson) have we seen much on the Hatters, and he was 99.9% Baseball-related.

04-cheers
06-29-2011 04:05 PM
Water Engineer

As for BCC it is a strange story. The news-journal did an article today and it does not look good for anyone involved. It is a shame as the team was coming off a very successful campaign. What is also unfortunate for BCC is that any level of success their teams have something always seems to derail them right after the season. A few years back the softball team made the World Series and the next year they almost did not have enough players to field a team. The baseball team again this year was very good, but the school was publicly called out by the head coach for the lack of commitment to facilities. A week later he was gone to Alabama State. It would almost be a stretch to even call that a "lateral" move.

The one thing I can guarentee is that the younger Reed will not return next year.
06-29-2011 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Lurking Dog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Drake
(06-29-2011 09:50 AM)VolusiaCountySports Wrote:  If you can deal with recruiting in the IVY League, Stetson's academics should not be an issue.

Agreed. Of course, Ivy League schools have lower admission standards for football players relative to incoming freshmen in the Ivies (Google "Ivy League football academic index" for details). Stetson, on the other hand, will be looking for recruits who meet Stetson's normal admission standards. Ultimately, I think Coach Hughes will be looking for the same student-athlete profile as when he recruited for Princeton.
06-29-2011 07:58 PM
Water Engineer

I would definately agree that he will be looking at the same type of player. With his ties to the northeast I will be interested to see what type of class he can put together starting next year. I am also looking forward to the renovation at Spec Martin. I am still doing some background research for the Stetson football article I am doing. It will be up on the blog sometime this weekend.
06-30-2011 07:33 AM
targetseo123 Offline
Banned

I Root For: kjhgj
Too many people in this department who have been there too long and are entrence in a program that requires the time may occur, or even.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 01:38 AM by targetseo123.)
09-13-2011 01:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.