Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Established Division I Programs For A-Sun
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Established Division I Programs For A-Sun
Dave Mullins states that if a replacement school for Belmont is invited to join the A-Sun, it is to be an established Division I program. He said it. Is he just dropping these sound bites to make himself look like a big dude, or is this now the official position of the A-Sun? The A-Sun will be losing one of its top programs, thus dealing a major blow to its already lowly standing. If this is the new position of the league, then the only direction for it is extinction.

Notice there are NEVER any follow up questions to Dave's sayings, assertions, statements, and claims. By the way, how can all in the Tri-Cities media continue to be working from the same agenda that ALWAYS covers for the ETSU athletic department ( with the exception of the departed Brian Smith)?
06-21-2011 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Established Division I Programs For A-Sun
I would honestly like to hear the name of one established D1 school that would consider joining the Asun. Does Mullins do any research before he speaks???? Longwood would, but they are far from established. Radford said "no" several years ago. UNCA? Doubtful. Does anybody know of one?
06-22-2011 07:41 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Dollars-t0-doughnuts Longwood is at least one school they would have in mind - only because there are so very few alternatives. The ASun doesn't have the "oomph" to go raid other leagues.
06-22-2011 10:04 AM
Advertisement

bucfan99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: buccaneers
my bet is Longwood - and the addition of school's like LMU (north) and West Florida (south). then to make the southern schools happy they will go back to a north and south division. so the FL schools will not travel north to play and the north will not travel south.
06-24-2011 10:44 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(06-24-2011 10:44 PM)bucfan99 Wrote:  my bet is Longwood - and the addition of school's like LMU (north) and West Florida (south). then to make the southern schools happy they will go back to a north and south division. so the FL schools will not travel north to play and the north will not travel south.

Remember, Brother Dave said established Division I schools. Now, we can't be sure exactly what he meant specifically in that statement. I'm sure that if it comes to LMU, West Fla, and anyone else from NAIA through Division II who seeks membership, he'll say something like they are aspiring to be established DI schools. You know, he can say anything he wishes because he is never asked a follow-up question or asked to explain any of his absurd ramblings. As for Longwood, he and the A-Sun would welcome them with open arms (and are probably aggressively recruiting them at this moment) while declaring them as an exemplary established DI school.
06-25-2011 04:10 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

(06-22-2011 10:04 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Dollars-t0-doughnuts Longwood is at least one school they would have in mind - only because there are so very few alternatives. The ASun doesn't have the "oomph" to go raid other leagues.

The A-Sun doesn't even have the "oomph" to keep the members it signs. I know this is old news and maybe dead horse beating, but in its 33 years, the A-Sun has had 31 members, including the current crop. Of those 31, 21 are gone, make that 22 when Belmont departs. That's 71 percent out of here. It has never gone for more than 4 years without losing a member or two or three (84 to 88 and 92 to 96). In comparison, the SoCon has lost 3 members (Marshall, VMI, and ETSU) since 1978 when the A-Sun (TransAmerican) was founded and ETSU joined the SoCon. Brother Dave in his ramblings about A-Sun future membership after Belmont and "established DI schools" can exhaust Walmart's entire stock of lipstick, but it will never be enough for this pig.
06-25-2011 04:48 PM
JWBUC Offline
1st String

33 years and 31 members. Wow.
06-26-2011 06:45 AM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

(06-26-2011 06:45 AM)JWBUC Wrote:  33 years and 31 members. Wow.

67 percent of the current members, minus Belmont, have been around less than 10 years. Mercer is the only charter member. 4 of the current members did not even exist when ETSU started playing DI sports in 1958. Who is the money on for the next exit? If Jacksonville State moves up and out of the OVC, my money is on Lipscomb to the OVC, unless Kennesaw beats them out.
06-26-2011 01:44 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(06-26-2011 01:44 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(06-26-2011 06:45 AM)JWBUC Wrote:  33 years and 31 members. Wow.

67 percent of the current members, minus Belmont, have been around less than 10 years. Mercer is the only charter member. 4 of the current members did not even exist when ETSU started playing DI sports in 1958. Who is the money on for the next exit? If Jacksonville State moves up and out of the OVC, my money is on Lipscomb to the OVC, unless Kennesaw beats them out.

I agree. Lipscomb is not far behind Belmont.
06-27-2011 07:53 AM
Advertisement

TheShadow Offline
2nd String

A few predictions:
1.) I think Lipscomb bolts the A-Sux before the end of the year, leaving the league with 7.5 members (Kennesaw has one foot out the door).
2.) The A-Sux will not add Longwood, unless they go after Radford as well.
3.) A-Sux will attempt to pluck a few non-FB members from other leagues AND take some more D-2 transitionals. The league makes a push to get some combination of UNCA, UNCG, UNCW, and Winthrop. The goal of targeting these schools is to create a tighter northern division, which would eliminate increased travel costs as a reason for not joining. For example:

NORTH
ETSU
Francis Marion
UNCA
UNCW
USC-Upstate
Winthrop

SOUTH
Columbus State
FGCU
Jacksonville
Mercer
North Florida
Stetson

4.) Unfortunately, ETSU is still a part of all this BS for several years to come.
06-27-2011 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(06-27-2011 08:36 AM)TheShadow Wrote:  A few predictions:
1.) I think Lipscomb bolts the A-Sux before the end of the year, leaving the league with 7.5 members (Kennesaw has one foot out the door).
2.) The A-Sux will not add Longwood, unless they go after Radford as well.
3.) A-Sux will attempt to pluck a few non-FB members from other leagues AND take some more D-2 transitionals. The league makes a push to get some combination of UNCA, UNCG, UNCW, and Winthrop. The goal of targeting these schools is to create a tighter northern division, which would eliminate increased travel costs as a reason for not joining. For example:

NORTH
ETSU
Francis Marion
UNCA
UNCW
USC-Upstate
Winthrop

SOUTH
Columbus State
FGCU
Jacksonville
Mercer
North Florida
Stetson

4.) Unfortunately, ETSU is still a part of all this BS for several years to come.

Your scenario would be ideal for the Asun and would make it a much stronger league. However, UNCA, UNCW and Winthrop arent coming. Radford has already said "no" and I expect that Stetson and Mercer are looking for a long term place to play football.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 03:59 PM by abuc90.)
06-27-2011 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.