Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mizzou seems to believe they have Painter
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Mizzou seems to believe they have Painter
Still not official, but would be a huge get for that program. Purdue better make a strong play for Brad Stevens or their fans will be ready to revolt.
03-30-2011 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Mizzou seems to believe they have Painter
I don't believe Brad Stevens will leave Butler for just money. If the Duke job ever opens up and he's still available, then you might see him leave, but I don't think he'll leave for a program that isn't one of the two or three premium jobs in the country. Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. Purdue is a nice program in a nice league, but not one of those elite jobs which I believe he might consider leaving Butler for.
03-30-2011 01:07 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2011 01:07 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I don't believe Brad Stevens will leave Butler for just money. If the Duke job ever opens up and he's still available, then you might see him leave, but I don't think he'll leave for a program that isn't one of the two or three premium jobs in the country. Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. Purdue is a nice program in a nice league, but not one of those elite jobs which I believe he might consider leaving Butler for.

Looks like most of you guys were right and Painter will stay at Purdue. Mizzouri media guys were sure he was coming around lunch time. Apparently, its now flipped although still haven't seen anything official.
03-30-2011 03:16 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2011 03:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-30-2011 01:07 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I don't believe Brad Stevens will leave Butler for just money. If the Duke job ever opens up and he's still available, then you might see him leave, but I don't think he'll leave for a program that isn't one of the two or three premium jobs in the country. Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. Purdue is a nice program in a nice league, but not one of those elite jobs which I believe he might consider leaving Butler for.

Looks like most of you guys were right and Painter will stay at Purdue. Mizzouri media guys were sure he was coming around lunch time. Apparently, its now flipped although still haven't seen anything official.

Looks like Painter was flying back to Purdue to tell his players he was leaving and then had a change of heart. Tough to look those guys in the eye and tell them you're leaving- especially if its you alma mater and the move would be a lateral one.
03-30-2011 03:28 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2011 03:28 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Looks like Painter was flying back to Purdue to tell his players he was leaving and then had a change of heart. Tough to look those guys in the eye and tell them you're leaving- especially if its you alma mater and the move would be a lateral one.

Now official. New 8 year contract for Painter at Purdue. I guess no one will ever really know if he played Mizzou for a raise or was really close to going there. I thought Mizzou should be after Greg Marshall from day one.
03-30-2011 03:32 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU

It will be interesting to see who Mizzou goes after now. They obviously have a lot of dough to spend. Will they get into a bidding war against Oklahoma for Greg Marshall of Wichita State? Will they go after Shaka Smart? Or will they try to get another BCS established coach? Stay tuned.
03-30-2011 04:07 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

It might be wise for Missou to elevate one of Anderson's assistants who know his methods of coaching. Hogs made a mistake on passing on Mike when he was Richardson's main guy. They might be making a mistake by not promoting from within in this case.
03-30-2011 05:11 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(03-30-2011 05:11 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  It might be wise for Missou to elevate one of Anderson's assistants who know his methods of coaching. Hogs made a mistake on passing on Mike when he was Richardson's main guy. They might be making a mistake by not promoting from within in this case.

Trust me. That ain't happening.
03-30-2011 06:02 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
Maybe they'll hire Coach Williamson.
03-30-2011 06:20 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2011 06:02 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(03-30-2011 05:11 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  It might be wise for Missou to elevate one of Anderson's assistants who know his methods of coaching. Hogs made a mistake on passing on Mike when he was Richardson's main guy. They might be making a mistake by not promoting from within in this case.

Trust me. That ain't happening.

I can't see hiring an assistant if a coach is fired for not winning like the administration and fans like, but if a coach is successful, and Mike obviously was in the eyes of those who count, since they were raising the ante on his contract, then a top assistant might be a wise choice.
Guess that's one reason why I'm not an AD.
03-30-2011 06:47 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
(03-30-2011 06:20 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Maybe they'll hire Coach Williamson.

I hear the job's down to him and Moncrief.
03-30-2011 07:03 PM
Jim Tripcony Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UALR TROJANS

I still don't believe there was ever a chance of his leaving PU, even though being courted with big bucks had to be very flattering.
03-30-2011 07:34 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2011 07:34 PM)Jim Tripcony Wrote:  

I still don't believe there was ever a chance of his leaving PU, even though being courted with big bucks had to be very flattering.

Like I said, when I checked the internet around lunch time, all the Mizzou folks thought it was a done deal. I think Painter felt underpaid and underappreciated at Purdue and was seriously thinking of taking Mizzou's offer. But once Purdue came back and sweetened the pot it was a no-brainer to stay "home". Maybe they almost got him, but I think Mizzou made a mistake investing so much time and effort on a guy who was at his alma mater. Some folks in the national media seem to believe Mizzou has a higher ceiling, and thus is a better job, but its pretty much of a toss-up to me.
03-30-2011 08:30 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I would imagine Greg Marshall is the hot commodity left now. And Wichita State is still alive in the NIT. I'll be surprised if he doesn't move as soon as his season is over. North Carolina and Mizzou will probably fight over Marshall and Shaka Smart. Buzz Williams is still out there, but rumors have him with a huge buyout. If that's not true, someone will hire him away from Marquette I would imagine
03-31-2011 11:12 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2011 11:12 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I would imagine Greg Marshall is the hot commodity left now. And Wichita State is still alive in the NIT. I'll be surprised if he doesn't move as soon as his season is over. North Carolina and Mizzou will probably fight over Marshall and Shaka Smart. Buzz Williams is still out there, but rumors have him with a huge buyout. If that's not true, someone will hire him away from Marquette I would imagine

Why would he want to leave Marquette? Some question I had about Painter a couple of days ago.
03-31-2011 04:56 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
This coaching salary thing has gotten out of hand. It's a damn shame that these guys are making more than some, or perhaps most doctors, who spend years in school. Same thing with the professional athletes(MLB, NBA,and NFL).
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2011 07:37 PM by LRTrojan.)
03-31-2011 07:35 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2011 07:35 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  This coaching salary thing has gotten out of hand. It's a damn shame that these guys are making more than some, or perhaps most doctors, who spend years in school. Same thing with the professional athletes(MLB, NBA,and NFL).

The salary thing is sickening. I'm afraid it will one day turn me off on college sports, like it did it for pro sports awhile ago. It's ridiculous that college coaches are getting millions of dollars to coach kids that are basically playing for free- And I really don't want to hear the BS about a "free" education; most players could get a scholarship or pel grant to pay for most of their education and wouldn't have to spend hundreds of hours in the weight room, practice floor, and missing classes.
03-31-2011 11:24 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Kids who love to play basketball will, in many cases play for nothing. Just look at Division III. All kids aren't interested in turning pro or whatever. They just love the game. Same with some guys who love boxing. I can't see getting your brains scattered, but I know some people just love doing it. Takes all kinds.
03-31-2011 11:42 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2011 11:42 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Kids who love to play basketball will, in many cases play for nothing. Just look at Division III. All kids aren't interested in turning pro or whatever. They just love the game. Same with some guys who love boxing. I can't see getting your brains scattered, but I know some people just love doing it. Takes all kinds.

Exactly. And there are some adults who simply love coaching kids- they do it at the Boy's Club, Church League, AAU level, etc. for nothing. They would gladly take a college coaching job for one tenth of what college coaches make. I guess maybe even 1/100th of the 4 million someone like Calipari makes.
03-31-2011 11:51 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

If the job ever comes open at UALR, I'm applying for it, and I'm bringing LRTrojan along as my Assistant Head Coach. Actually if he wants to be the head coach, I'll be the head assistant. What a team that would be. We could lead this program to new heights. Of course the odds of that happening is, like I heard someone say this morning, about like being attacked by a Polar Bear and a Regular Bear in Littl Rock, Arkansas on the same day! Cheers!
04-01-2011 08:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.