Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ROUND 1: Belmont v Wisconsin
SNIURB06 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Belmont
ROUND 1: Belmont v Wisconsin
So it begins. #13 Belmont vs # 4 Wisconsin. What do we think?

Anyone going to Tucson?
03-13-2011 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

swvabucsfan Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
RE: ROUND 1: Belmont v Wisconsin
It looks like you guys got a pretty good matchup here. Wisconsin has neither a size advantage nor an athleticism advantage over Belmont. They play a very short rotation: 6 guys average 19 minutes or more; 1 guy averages 11.9 minutes. Nobody else averages more than 7 minutes or 2.3 points.

That top 6 goes: 6'10" 228 (Leuer), 6'8" 240, 6'6" 220, 6'6" 205, 6'3" 185 and 6'1" 195 (Jordan Taylor). The 7th guy who averages 11.9 minutes is 6'6" 210. They are Big 10 physical, but really, no significant size advantage.

Jordan Taylor is the only great athlete in the crew and he will be a tough matchup for your guards (18.1 points .433 from 3, 4.1 rebounds 4.5 assists): too big for Hanlen and Johnson, maybe too physical for Ian Clark. Wonder if Jordan Campbell might guard him?

They like it slow and deliberate, averaging only 68.2 ppg, but allowing only 58.3. It will be interesting to see if Belmont can speed them up (maybe press?) and try to take advantage of your much deeper numbers. Wisconsin can also shoot the three, averaging .371 (Leuer .378, Taylor .433, Nankivil .462 and Jarmusz .341 are the shooters). But they don't defend the 3 as well as you do, allowing .375 from opponents compared to your .327.

Bottom line - Wisconsin is no slouch, having knocked off Ohio State (in Wisconsin). But this is definitely a winnable game. You guys should take this one. I'll be rooting for you.
03-13-2011 07:10 PM
Escalade2121 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Just know that you guys have one fan down here in KSU Country. Definitely pulling for you guys. Best of luck.
03-13-2011 07:33 PM
ksuowlsfan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Good luck - Belmont's definitely not "off the radar" with all of the articles about how good they are this year, but I'm sure Byrd will keep them grounded and focused on the task at hand. Definitely a winnable game -- it sure would be nice for you guys to advance.
03-13-2011 07:37 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
Leuer (6'10") and Nankivil (6'8") will challenge your post players like no one that they've faced this year. They are deadly from 3, and if you stay in man your bigs will have to get out to the perimeter to guard them. But then again, Belmont big men face pretty good outside shooters in practice every day.
03-13-2011 07:41 PM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2011 06:28 PM)SNIURB06 Wrote:  So it begins. #13 Belmont vs # 4 Wisconsin. What do we think?

Anyone going to Tucson?

Just got back from the selection party. The place was wall to wall people and they were jacked up. My daughter was selected to a free trip to the games at Tucson as she was a top student supporter. Never missed a home game.

And thanks to the ASun buddies for the support. I hope we can bring at least one home for the conference.
03-13-2011 07:44 PM
Advertisement

Grizzly Bruin Offline
Water Engineer

(03-13-2011 07:41 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  Leuer (6'10") and Nankivil (6'8") will challenge your post players like no one that they've faced this year. They are deadly from 3, and if you stay in man your bigs will have to get out to the perimeter to guard them. But then again, Belmont big men face pretty good outside shooters in practice every day.

This will absolutely be a tough test for our bigs, but I think they actually match up pretty well as far as size and athletic ability. Hopefully we can run them, because we don't want a shooting match. Turnovers are gonna be key as well.
03-13-2011 07:56 PM
TennTexBruin Offline
Water Engineer

I really appreciate the non-Belmont fans giving us love on here. It feels like there's a lot of weight on this team but I think they can handle it. They've played with an impressive amount of maturity and resilience all season. They'll need it more than ever Thursday.

Looking at Wisconsin's resume, they've got some great wins, but they also have some really, really bad losses. If all you can muster is 36 points in the conference semi-finals, you've got a long hill to climb going into the Big Dance.

If you need me, I'll be watching Wisconsin film for the next three days.
03-13-2011 08:15 PM
newman21 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wisconsin
(03-13-2011 08:15 PM)TennTexBruin Wrote:  I really appreciate the non-Belmont fans giving us love on here. It feels like there's a lot of weight on this team but I think they can handle it. They've played with an impressive amount of maturity and resilience all season. They'll need it more than ever Thursday.

Looking at Wisconsin's resume, they've got some great wins, but they also have some really, really bad losses. If all you can muster is 36 points in the conference semi-finals, you've got a long hill to climb going into the Big Dance.

Wisconsin has no losses to NCAA tourney non-qualifiers. It was 33 points in a B10 quarterfinal in an incredibly slow game (44 possessions). The Badgers are the #1 team in the country at not turning the ball over (tempo free, not just because of slow pace) and free throw percentage (all 5 starters over 84% last I checked). Offense has been very efficient, although with a few clunker games thrown in. Defense has been poor by Badger standards. Looks like it is better due to very slow pace of play. Mike Bruesewitz (6th man at small forward) may be out as he sprained a knee vs. PSU.

Will be a tough game. Bo Ryan is 8-1 in 1st round games though has had struggles in later rounds.
03-13-2011 09:33 PM
TennTexBruin Offline
Water Engineer

(03-13-2011 09:33 PM)newman21 Wrote:  
(03-13-2011 08:15 PM)TennTexBruin Wrote:  I really appreciate the non-Belmont fans giving us love on here. It feels like there's a lot of weight on this team but I think they can handle it. They've played with an impressive amount of maturity and resilience all season. They'll need it more than ever Thursday.

Wisconsin has no losses to NCAA tourney non-qualifiers. It was 33 points in a B10 quarterfinal in an incredibly slow game (44 possessions). The Badgers are the #1 team in the country at not turning the ball over (tempo free, not just because of slow pace) and free throw percentage (all 5 starters over 84% last I checked). Offense has been very efficient, although with a few clunker games thrown in. Defense has been poor by Badger standards. Looks like it is better due to very slow pace of play. Mike Bruesewitz (6th man at small forward) may be out as he sprained a knee vs. PSU.

Will be a tough game. Bo Ryan is 8-1 in 1st round games though has had struggles in later rounds.

Penn State is as much a tournament qualifier as Colorado - they just happened to come up heads. (Belmont only has one loss to a non-qualifier.) Two losses to the Nittany Lions doesn't exactly serve as support for the Badgers competence.

And although Bruinator won't back me up on this, outside of Ohio State and Purdue, this hasn't exactly been a banner year for the Leaders and Legends.
03-13-2011 11:27 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Good luck fellas.
03-13-2011 11:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

boomdrizzle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FGCU
As once said early in a season a couple years ago(I think it was the year now-departed Gardner-Webb trounced Kentucky at Rupp):

"Fear the A-Sun."

Pants Wisconsin the way you've pantsed the rest of us this year, you got a fan in The Nest.
03-14-2011 02:10 AM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2011 06:28 PM)SNIURB06 Wrote:  So it begins. #13 Belmont vs # 4 Wisconsin. What do we think?

Anyone going to Tucson?

According to the Madison newspaper, Bo Ryan knows nothing about the Bruins except they were a good NAIA school at one time. I hope the whole team overlooks us.
03-14-2011 06:36 AM
arenafanatic Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cleveland State
Im taking the Bruins!
03-14-2011 07:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bruinator06 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-14-2011 06:36 AM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  

Anyone going to Tucson?

According to the Madison newspaper, Bo Ryan knows nothing about the Bruins except they were a good NAIA school at one time. I hope the whole team overlooks us.

He's blowing smoke, my friend. Bo Ryan is too good of a coach to overlook us. They'll be ready. However, I still think we can beat a well-prepared Wisconsin.
03-14-2011 09:30 AM
bruinator06 Offline
Water Engineer

My thoughts..

First of all.. I think everyone in Nashville let out a massive sigh of relief as soon as we found out that we did NOT draw Louisville. Thank the Lord.

The main thing that concerned me going into this was going up against a team with a dominate presence down low. We have gotten killed by guys like Dejuan Blair and Roy Hibbert in the past, so that was the main thing I wanted to avoid. Belmont plays incredible help defense -- so I have never been to concerned about dominate guard play. With that being said, Wisconsin is probably the best possible matchup we could've gotten IMO. I think we will need to play our best game of the season to beat them, but it's very possible. Jon Leuer is soft. European type of player. He has a great shooting stoke. Our bigs will matchup very well with him (Mike more than Scott because Mick actually has pretty quick feet). Jordan Taylor is going to give us fits all day. One of the best players in the Big Ten -- he will be all over us on both sides of the ball. Help defense is going to need to be essential to shutting him down.

I expect Byrd to press all night and cycle in as many different players and looks as possible to keep Wisconsin out of rhythm. Wisconsin really only plays 6 players and are very half-court orientated so if we can wear some of their key players down (Taylor and Leuer) and draw some fouls we will have a very good shot at winning this game.
03-14-2011 10:21 AM
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Good luck in the tournament, Bruins! I'll be pulling for you guys, even though Bo Ryan is one of my favorite coaches and it's hard to root against him. Gotta go for the little guy though. I think you should have a good shot. Wisconsin being such a low scoring, slow-paced team tends to keep games close. All it takes is getting hot for a stretch. The only thing working against you is being one of the trendy upset picks for the "experts"/gasbags.
03-14-2011 11:29 AM
Fruitcake16 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-14-2011 06:36 AM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  

Anyone going to Tucson?

That's not quite what he said. Here's the full quote and context from the actual paper:

Quote:Ryan didn't know much about Belmont when he talked to reporters right after the tournament brackets were announced. But he knew the Bruins' history back in the days when they were one of the best teams in the NAIA.

He did laud them for winning 30 games and nearly beating Tennessee twice, as well as Vanderbilt. Both of those teams are in the NCAA tournament, too.

"It's not like Belmont is a team that only plays one way or has one guy. I'm sure they've beaten teams in a lot of different ways to get 30 wins," Ryan said. "And half of their losses were to Tennessee. What does that tell you? I'm sure they have a lot of different parts."

Full link: Madison.com

Also, if you look at Jon Leuer's quote early in the story, I think that pretty much sums up Wisconsin's philosophy. They worry about themselves and what they're doing. Sure, they scout the other team and they tweak gameplans, but for the most part you don't find them talking too much about their opponents.

Looking forward to a great game on Thursday evening.
03-14-2011 11:36 AM
BelmontSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

Was going to try and go but my Southwest flight credit is blacked out going into Tucson and even Phoenix. I'll be cheering hard for Belmont. Excited about this matchup. Wisconsin won't overlook us. Too much media attention on us for them to look toward K. State/Utah State.

My favorite part of this? It's probably just as hard for Wisconsin fans to get to Tucson as it is for Belmont fans. Might be a truly neutral site. And I bet everyone there just to watch basketball will cheer for Belmont. It happened at the UCLA, Georgetown and Duke games. Crowds want to see the upset and we're ready to give it to them. This will show CBS for putting us on TruTV for the first round.
03-14-2011 11:49 AM
temke Offline
Water Engineer

Greetings from a Badger fan.

I see you all got your first taste of a Bo Ryan interview. He likes to have fun with the media. This team is definitely not taking Belmont lightly.

Reading through the comments about the Badgers so far, you all seem to have a good grasp on the team. I am sure others will find their way over here to give a more in-depth analysis of the team.

Most everyone will agree that Friday's Penn State game is the worst game in Bo Ryan's 10-year tenure.

Most of their offense this year comes from Taylor and Leuer. Taylor is able to drive and shoot from the perimeter. Leuer is also able to score inside and outside, and is the only real strong post player. Nankivil is more of a perimeter player than a post player. If he gets hot from outside, he is dangerous. Bruesewitz is a hard worker who has a knack for rebounding, especially on the offensive end, but he is day-to-day with the knee injury. They are careful with the ball, making sure they get a good look every time down the floor. They generally do not turn the ball over, leading the nation in turnover percentage. Gasser is a nice freshman who is already developing into a good player. He has showed flashes with a triple-double earlier in the season at Northwestern. Jarmusz is a spot-up shooter who you wont see inside the perimeter much at all. The others are all good role players. Evans is athletic, but raw. Bergrren is able to work inside at times, but gets limited minutes. The others you will only see if the top 7-8 falter badly.

The Badgers play straight man-to-man defense all the time. They are typically a well-coached defensive team, though some will argue that this is one of their weaker defensive teams in recent memory. They hold their ground and take minimal chances on blocks and steals. You don't see too many players leave their feet when guarding a shooter in the post.
03-14-2011 12:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.