Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. Akron
D-Rock Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State!!!
Kent State vs. Akron
No matter if our Golden Flashes enter this game as MAC regular season champions or not, losing to Akron in ANYTHING is unacceptable (whether its basketball or rock-paper-scissors). Akron is a second half team and are built to overcome a big deficit, especially against Kent with a few late-game scares over the past few seasons.

Look for the score to stay fairly even going into halftime and for the Flashes to wear down the Zips defense.

Final score prediction: Kent State 68-61
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2011 04:37 PM by D-Rock.)
03-02-2011 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

D-Rock Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State!!!
RE: Kent State vs. Akron
Our student section is MUCH larger, more lively, and a lot more creative than Akron's "student section". Also, our fans don't need to sneak signs into the games, we can just let Akron kids embarrass themselves. (see picture at the bottom of the post)

[Image: kent-state-mens-basketballjpg-8f880be5519201d9.jpg] <-- Loud and proud :towel::towel::towel:

Notice how Akron students (oxymoron) misspelled Throw but putting "THOW" instead. Looks like they are the ones who Can't Read, Can't Write, Can't Beat Kent State!
[Image: n790055502_2511173_1829.jpg] <-- weak sauce
03-02-2011 05:16 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
Will our students show up. It is in doubt based upon this year.
03-02-2011 05:26 PM
KSU12 Offline
Water Engineer

Students will show up for this game. It seems that Akron is the only game the students think we play every year but either way the section will be packed. If you went to the football game this year there wasnt a place to sit in the student section come kickoff. I expect a big turnout and more creative signs this year.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2011 08:07 PM by KSU12.)
03-02-2011 08:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
2thaker8 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent St. & Duke
Don't worry about students for this game. We could average 15 people a game and still pack the Akron game I bet.
03-02-2011 08:32 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

Miami loses. Friday night for all the marbles!

GO FLASHES! Zuck the fips!
03-02-2011 09:30 PM
Advertisement

flashesfan21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
They better bring their A-voices for Friday night. My boys and I will be there, ready to rock the MACC!!04-rock04-rock Also, let's hope Mr. Greene has his legs under him, because we are definitely going to need his presence underneath. Geno will have them more than ready, I believe.
03-02-2011 09:34 PM
naeskent77 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: kent state
Being promoted on the radio as "the biggest rivalry game in Ohio" and theres apparently a huge after party?
03-02-2011 09:48 PM
flashgrad03 Offline
1st String

(03-02-2011 04:47 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  KSU cannot enter the game as MAC regular season champions. However, I agree with you that Friday night is a must win. You do not want to lose this game and then have to wait until Thursday to play again. That is a bad formula.

Since Miami lost tonight doesnt that clinch at least a tie for the regular season championship for Kent State?
03-02-2011 10:07 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Yes. We, at worst, would be co-champions. Miami needs to beat OU and have WMU lose to CMU and KSU lose to Akron to get the #1 seed and the NIT bid. If anything else happens, KSU is the #1 seed. WMU can't go higher than #2.

I think if Ball St. and WMU tie, BSU has the better West record and would get the tie breaker for the #2 seed. But WMU is playing well, and I doubt they get beaten by CMU.
03-02-2011 10:18 PM
KSU12 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-02-2011 10:18 PM)axeme Wrote:  Yes. We, at worst, would be co-champions. Miami needs to beat OU and have WMU lose to CMU and KSU lose to Akron to get the #1 seed and the NIT bid. If anything else happens, KSU is the #1 seed. WMU can't go higher than #2.

I think if Ball St. and WMU tie, BSU has the better West record and would get the tie breaker for the #2 seed. But WMU is playing well, and I doubt they get beaten by CMU.

If we lose the Akron and Miami wins against Ohio, then Miami would win the regular season and get the auto bid. They own the tiebreaker with us by having a better record vs. Mac East opponents
03-02-2011 10:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flashgrad03 Offline
1st String

(03-02-2011 10:26 PM)KSU12 Wrote:  
(03-02-2011 10:18 PM)axeme Wrote:  Yes. We, at worst, would be co-champions. Miami needs to beat OU and have WMU lose to CMU and KSU lose to Akron to get the #1 seed and the NIT bid. If anything else happens, KSU is the #1 seed. WMU can't go higher than #2.

If we lose the Akron and Miami wins against Ohio, then Miami would win the regular season and get the auto bid. They own the tiebreaker with us by having a better record vs. Mac East opponents

true, but as ax pointed out, we would still be Co-champions according to the league rules.

Losing to Akron on senior night is not really an option, especially for this senior. Its been really great watching Rod. He will be missed, one of the all time greats.
03-02-2011 10:37 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
My dream scenario has KSU, WMU, BSU, OU and UB winning. That would put BG-CMU in 8-9 game and BSU-Miami in the 4-5 game, I believe.
03-02-2011 10:42 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I don't think so. If we lose and Miami and WMU win, it's a three way tie at 11-5. We win that 3-way tie by having the best head-to-head with those two: KSU 2-1, WMU 1-1, Miami 1-2. Miami lost the chance to control their destiny by losing tonight. Now they need WMU and us to lose the last game.
03-02-2011 10:43 PM
Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
well that's a bummer for us WMU fans. But I suppose we lost the chance to win the conference when we lost to toledo... lol. Anyway, at this point i would be thrilled with being MAC co-champions. Too bad that wouldn't mean all 3 teams get auto invites to the NIT.
03-02-2011 11:38 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

JUST WIN BABY! Go Flashes!!!!
03-03-2011 08:14 AM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

From an on-court perspective I think there are a few matchups Kent State needs to exploit to beat Akron and win the crown. First, I think the Flashes can exploit Abreu and McNeese. Abreu is a freshman and has had an up and down year. I like the idea of taking chances pressuring him in the hostile environment that I expect Friday. When he isn't handling the ball I believe it is McNeese. I have seen games when that kid turns the ball over like its his job. Get into those two and Akron is in trouble.

The other obvious matchup is in the paint. I like our chances with Greene vs. Marshall but expect to see Manns spend some time on the 7 footer too. As of this year, I really do think KSU has an advantage at the "5". If Marshall gets in foul trouble and Bardo is asked to take Greene...life will be good.

The two that scare me a bit are McKnight and Cvetinovic. They give the Zips a physical advantage over KSU depending on how the game goes. I imagine Porrini will see some time guarding one of these guys and maybe Gaines as well?

Should be interesting. I like the 68-61 prediction at the top of the thread and I suspect that the game will end up somewhere around there as well. But I am going to take a leap here and call the blowout. Sherman finishes in style with 18 points, Greene hits 1,000 points in style with 16 and the Flashes blow out the Zips 76-60.
03-03-2011 08:32 AM
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
(03-03-2011 08:32 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  From an on-court perspective I think there are a few matchups Kent State needs to exploit to beat Akron and win the crown. First, I think the Flashes can exploit Abreu and McNeese. Abreu is a freshman and has had an up and down year. I like the idea of taking chances pressuring him in the hostile environment that I expect Friday. When he isn't handling the ball I believe it is McNeese. I have seen games when that kid turns the ball over like its his job. Get into those two and Akron is in trouble.

The other obvious matchup is in the paint. I like our chances with Greene vs. Marshall but expect to see Manns spend some time on the 7 footer too. As of this year, I really do think KSU has an advantage at the "5". If Marshall gets in foul trouble and Bardo is asked to take Greene...life will be good.

The two that scare me a bit are McKnight and Cvetinovic. They give the Zips a physical advantage over KSU depending on how the game goes. I imagine Porrini will see some time guarding one of these guys and maybe Gaines as well?

Should be interesting. I like the 68-61 prediction at the top of the thread and I suspect that the game will end up somewhere around there as well. But I am going to take a leap here and call the blowout. Sherman finishes in style with 18 points, Greene hits 1,000 points in style with 16 and the Flashes blow out the Zips 76-60.

Would Akron consider that a blowout or an improvement? Afterall, they are coming off a 25 point beat down in Athens...
03-03-2011 10:24 AM
2thaker8 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent St. & Duke
(03-03-2011 10:24 AM)Eagle66 Wrote:  
(03-03-2011 08:32 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  From an on-court perspective I think there are a few matchups Kent State needs to exploit to beat Akron and win the crown. First, I think the Flashes can exploit Abreu and McNeese. Abreu is a freshman and has had an up and down year. I like the idea of taking chances pressuring him in the hostile environment that I expect Friday. When he isn't handling the ball I believe it is McNeese. I have seen games when that kid turns the ball over like its his job. Get into those two and Akron is in trouble.

Would Akron consider that a blowout or an improvement? Afterall, they are coming off a 25 point beat down in Athens...

Despite how bad they have been most of the year and how bad they were at OU, we still can't say we've beaten them yet this season. Not until friday at least.
03-03-2011 11:47 AM
flashesfan21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
(03-02-2011 08:06 PM)KSU12 Wrote:  Students will show up for this game. It seems that Akron is the only game the students think we play every year but either way the section will be packed. If you went to the football game this year there wasnt a place to sit in the student section come kickoff. I expect a big turnout and more creative signs this year.

Remember last year's sign: "Akron chicks are fat"! That was hilarious. 04-bow
03-03-2011 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.