Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts about the game
Bookmark and Share
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
Thoughts about the game
Granted, there is a heck of a lot I don't know about coaching basketball. I didn't understand why with only a 5 point lead starting the 2nd half the Trojans decided to slow the game down, run off some clock. Why not stick with what was working the 1st half?

I couldn't tell much about what actually happened that caused the scuffle that resulted in ASU given 6 free throws and the ball. Anyway it pretty much eliminated any chance of winning.

We get 9 free throws, ASU gets 44? Easy to see why they were unbeaten at home this year even with a uaf cupcake OOC schedule.

Finally, it's painful to watch such a poor, practically nonexistent inside game. It is not even low mid-major caliber. Seems to me the coaching staff should have to answer for allowing that to happen.
02-27-2011 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Thoughts about the game
(02-27-2011 10:49 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  Granted, there is a heck of a lot I don't know about coaching basketball. I didn't understand why with only a 5 point lead starting the 2nd half the Trojans decided to slow the game down, run off some clock. Why not stick with what was working the 1st half?

I couldn't tell much about what actually happened that caused the scuffle that resulted in ASU given 6 free throws and the ball. Anyway it pretty much eliminated any chance of winning.

We get 9 free throws, ASU gets 44? Easy to see why they were unbeaten at home this year even with a uaf cupcake OOC schedule.

Finally, it's painful to watch such a poor, practically nonexistent inside game. It is not even low mid-major caliber. Seems to me the coaching staff should have to answer for allowing that to happen.

I hate when folks blame the refs for a loss. And I'm not going to blame the loss on the refs, since ASU is simply better. But, I'm not sure I have ever seen a 44 to 9 disparity in free throw shooting.
02-27-2011 11:04 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
Seems to me that a disparity like would indicate that a team had to foul to keep the other team from scoring, or poor in-game adjustment to recognize how the calls are being made, or home-cooking.

Or any combination of the three.
02-27-2011 11:17 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2011 11:17 AM)Scotto Wrote:  Seems to me that a disparity like would indicate that a team had to foul to keep the other team from scoring, or poor in-game adjustment to recognize how the calls are being made, or home-cooking.

Or any combination of the three.

I have never believed refs favor one team or the other. I generally believe if a team ends up with more fouls, it is because they fouled more.

In watching the game I can't recall there being a lot of "bad" calls (certainly no more than in any Sun Belt game). But the final difference in free throws was eye-opening. I think you give a number of possible reasons for the difference. In realilty, we simply didn't have the bigs, who could stop their bigs, without fouling.
02-27-2011 11:25 AM
Ndnron Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(02-27-2011 10:49 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  We get 9 free throws, ASU gets 44? Easy to see why they were unbeaten at home this year even with a uaf cupcake OOC schedule.

ASU has an overall SOS of .4700...UALR has an almost identical overall SOS of .4714. Since we play in the same conference that means that the OOC of both schools is almost identical. So if ASU has a UAF cupcake OOC schedule then so do the Trojans. UAF, BTW, has an overall SOS of .5243...higher of course because of the SEC league play.
02-27-2011 11:26 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Could ASU's success have anything to do with coaching? Or recruiting? Chew on that for a little while Trojan fans.
02-27-2011 11:32 AM
Advertisement

hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
(02-27-2011 11:26 AM)Ndnron Wrote:  
(02-27-2011 10:49 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  We get 9 free throws, ASU gets 44? Easy to see why they were unbeaten at home this year even with a uaf cupcake OOC schedule.

ASU has an overall SOS of .4700...UALR has an almost identical overall SOS of .4714. Since we play in the same conference that means that the OOC of both schools is almost identical. So if ASU has a UAF cupcake OOC schedule then so do the Trojans. UAF, BTW, has an overall SOS of .5243...higher of course because of the SEC league play.

The 44-9 spread is a wide one. I think there are 3 contributing factors. stAte got 2 shots after the Shields technical fouls (in addition to the 2 for the personal on Solo. stAte went to the line for 6 shots after that when ualr was in lat game foul mode.

Those were minor factors. stAte shot 42 free throws (not counting the 2 for the tech) on 25 personal fouls (not counting the personal that Solo picked up for the tech) and ualr shot 9 on 12 stAte fould (not counting the personal that Rashad got for his tech). Mostly, stAte shot a bunch of shots not only becaused ualr was called for more fouls but also because of where the fouls happened. stAte got fouled more at the rim shooting and not out on the floor.

In his postgame radio interview Brady said tht ualr fouls a lot and we wanted to take advantage of that by pounding the ball inside to get to the line.
02-27-2011 11:36 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2011 10:49 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  Granted, there is a heck of a lot I don't know about coaching basketball. I didn't understand why with only a 5 point lead starting the 2nd half the Trojans decided to slow the game down, run off some clock. Why not stick with what was working the 1st half?

According to the announcers on Trojan Tracker, Solo kneed Rashad Allison in the face when he was lying on the floor. Not something our program can be proud of. And then to compound the problem, Steve picks up another technical foul. I guess the frustration of the season has just been getting too much for some of our players and coaches to bear. I know it's sure hard for us fans.
02-27-2011 11:40 AM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I would like to see a replay. I believe I observed that Shields was on the court trying to restore order. One of the officials from behind grabbed his arm to pull him away. Shields probably didn't know it was an official, swung his arm loose, thus the technical. Questioin I have, what business does the official have putting his hands on a coach? Also I didn't see a personal foul by Bozeman or a reason for a technical, the two of them causing his jection from the game. About the officials? Maybe it's that week-end thing where we are told that all decent officials are elsewhere working bigger games. I do believe Coach Brady is much more experienced and skilled at working the officials than Shields.

As for the Lady Trojans. The only thing I would say to LRTrojan is that listening on the radio, it appeared the Trojans did not show up to play. The ASU gals wanted it more.
02-27-2011 11:44 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2011 11:36 AM)hb8 Wrote:  

The 44-9 spread is a wide one. I think there are 3 contributing factors. stAte got 2 shots after the Shields technical fouls (in addition to the 2 for the personal on Solo. stAte went to the line for 6 shots after that when ualr was in lat game foul mode.

Those were minor factors. stAte shot 42 free throws (not counting the 2 for the tech) on 25 personal fouls (not counting the personal that Solo picked up for the tech) and ualr shot 9 on 12 stAte fould (not counting the personal that Rashad got for his tech). Mostly, stAte shot a bunch of shots not only becaused ualr was called for more fouls but also because of where the fouls happened. stAte got fouled more at the rim shooting and not out on the floor.

In his postgame radio interview Brady said tht ualr fouls a lot and we wanted to take advantage of that by pounding the ball inside to get to the line.

Yes, we foul a lot. No way our freshman big man (who will be good) could stop Adams without fouling. Teams don't have to foul our inside players, who more often than not miss, without being fouled. I don't think anyone on here is blaming the loss on the refs. Still, off-hand, I can't recall such a large foul-shooting disparity, especially in a game that was competitive until the last minute or two.

The bottom line, just about everyone on this board felt the key to having a good season was the play of our redshirt senior center, Derrick Bails. He is now the last off the bench and we have a freshman starting. That's the difference between an average season and a good one.
02-27-2011 11:47 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Glad I was at an event where I couldn't listen to the ladies game. One bad game was enough for the day. Add that to all the bad men's games during the year (or should I say years) and it has been harder and harder to remain an interested fan. I'm sort of like LRTrojan. I'm getting burned out by what's going on in our program. I'm past ready for changes to be made.
02-27-2011 11:51 AM
Advertisement

hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-27-2011 11:47 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-27-2011 11:36 AM)hb8 Wrote:  

Yes, we foul a lot. No way our freshman big man (who will be good) could stop Adams without fouling. Teams don't have to foul our inside players, who more often than not miss, without being fouled. I don't think anyone on here is blaming the loss on the refs. Still, off-hand, I can't recall such a large foul-shooting disparity, especially in a game that was competitive until the last minute or two.

The bottom line, just about everyone on this board felt the key to having a good season was the play of our redshirt senior center, Derrick Bails. He is now the last off the bench and we have a freshman starting. That's the difference between an average season and a good one.

I did not state and did not mean to imply that anyone was blaming the game on the officials. Scotto mentioned possible reasons for the free throw spead and I was commenting on that.

In my very uninformed opinion, Gus Leeper can become very good.
02-27-2011 11:54 AM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

On my TV, I saw Bozeman step across the player on the floor in a disrespectful manner but, I did not see his knee hit the player as described above. As for what Brady supposedly said about Trojans fouling a lot. Being under sized they have to. But, not only does Brady know that, I'm am sure the officials are aware of it as well. I believe the Trojans felt they were given the shaft. I noticed at games end the players would not touch the hand of Coach Brady as coaches and players traditionally do. I don't recall ever seeing that happen before.
02-27-2011 12:03 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I like Gus and hope he does turn out well. And like you, I think he has a chance to be a good player. But I'm just worn out mentally waiting for good things to happen in our men's program. I have purchased four season tickets for many years now, but I'm seriously considering cutting back to two next year. I just don't feel I have been getting my money's worth. But that remains to be seen what transpires in the next couple of weeks. If there are no changes, then I'll seriously consider my options.
02-27-2011 12:05 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(02-27-2011 12:03 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  On my TV, I saw Bozeman step across the player on the floor in a disrespectful manner but, I did not see his knee hit the player as described above. As for what Brady supposedly said about Trojans fouling a lot. Being under sized they have to. But, not only does Brady know that, I'm am sure the officials are aware of it as well. I believe the Trojans felt they were given the shaft. I noticed at games end the players would not touch the hand of Coach Brady as coaches and players traditionally do. I don't recall ever seeing that happen before.

Watched the replay and I agree that Bozeman did not make contact to Allison's face with his intentionally raised knee - but clearly he instigated things.

It was a double technical on Allison (for mouthing) and Bozeman, and then a tech on Shields. Boone shot the technical FTs, and Allison shot two because he was tripped by Bozeman just prior to the incident.
02-27-2011 04:34 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I didn't see the actual incident closely, but the announcers, obviously from ASU, kept talking about how Bozeman put his knee in Allison's face. Tempers were pretty hot at that time, and I'm glad things didn't get too far out of control. I have heard that ASU fans absolutely hate Steve. And they like to get on him pretty good. I've never coached D1 basketball (although some on this board might think I have) but I would think, as a coach on the road, commone sense would tell you to tone it down more than at home because when the crowd is just looking for something to get on you about, you give them the impetus to get into the game. The object is to keep the home crowd quiet when you're on the road. Joe Foley's demeanor is probably normally better suited to playing on the road than Steve's. Of course Joe's normally pretty subdued at home also, except in a game like the one with Middle when he showed more emotion than I've ever seen him express.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2011 05:00 PM by outsideualr.)
02-27-2011 04:49 PM
Advertisement

hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

By way of clariification on Brady's comments about ualr fouling a lot, he did not say that in a way that would indicate it was a put down, just an observation. Some teams may be big, some slow, some shoot it well, ect. It was just that our plan was to be aggressive on offense with the idea that against our adversary on Saturday, it would result in foul shots.
02-27-2011 04:52 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Damned sure worked, didn't it!
02-27-2011 05:01 PM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

Maybe thats why he mentioned it.
02-27-2011 05:04 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2011 05:04 PM)hb8 Wrote:  Maybe thats why he mentioned it.

The CSS announcers thought it was a travesty that Steve got a technical. They showed the replay a few times where Steve seemed to be trying to pull his players off the court and away from the situation that had developed. I didn't see Solo do anything, but saw the ASU kid in his face jawing.
02-27-2011 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.